'It' Remake

59,694 Views | 443 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Proposition Joe
Sapper Redux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
West Point Aggie said:

Coastal Maine is northern Massachusetts...a m******* extension...truly two different states in one...not unlike this state I live in...

Well, Maine was part of Massachusetts until the Missouri Compromise...
Ol Jock 99
AG
So I'm reading the book for the first time now. I'm at the 2nd Interlude.

Based on what I've read so far, Pennywise looking sinister isn't an issue. He hasn't once appeared as a nice, funny clown. He's always been rotten, or wet, or a leper, or a werewolf. Even with Georgie...he was a clown with balloons in a drain on a rainy day. It isn't like Georgie opted to go with a happy clown instead of something else on a nice bright day in the park.

Being sinister from the get-go may be a departure from the 80s miniseries, but is it a departure from the book? I don't think so (at least after 500 pages).
Fleen
YouBet said:

I recommend his nonfiction work "On Writing". Very good book. Just read it last year.

My top King recommendation...
YokelRidesAgain
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

amercer said:

As long as they include the underage gangbang scene I'm sure it will be great....
yeah that part was so laughable.
That's a curious term. I will grant you that it is implausible that the character would make the decision to engage in what occurs at that age, and that Stephen King's sex scenes are generally terrible (I think he even received some kind of "award" for Worst Sex Scene of the Year for 11-22-63).

But as far as the scene itself: it's an earthy description, but it's central to the interpretation of the novel--which is why the editor was forced to leave it in, I imagine.

"...(N)ow she realizes that for many of them sex must be some unrealized undefined monster; they refer to the act as It."

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
As far as expectations for the film, I think that the problem has always been that the entire last section of the book is unfilmable (and not just the obvious part above)--the shifting perspective between the two time periods would be really hard to replicate. Moreover, it's hard to see how you overcome the problem of the "Here It is!!!" scene. The spider could be less cheesy than it was in 1990, but as far as the physical action in the final confrontations with the monster, it can be summed up as 1) 1958-Boy stares at spider and 2) 1985-Two middle aged men stare at spider, then kill spider. All of the real interaction between the characters and It is internal psychodrama that fills pages and pages of dialogue. I don't think you can film that and have it translate.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Noblemen06
AG
I am curious how much artistic license the movies take in this department.
mhayden
Having a spider-esque monster isn't that difficult in this day and age - LoTR, The Mist, etc... all pulled it off with decent success... IMO it's just about not showing too much of it.
Noblemen06
AG
It's not the monster itself, it's the lack of action when the face off with the monster makes it to the screen in question (if they stay true to the book).
CharlieBrown17
AG
Cancelled
AG
Meh. Has it been discussed here that Pennywise looks so lame?
AggieChemist
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

As far as expectations for the film, I think that the problem has always been that the entire last section of the book is unfilmable (and not just the obvious part above)--the shifting perspective between the two time periods would be really hard to replicate. Moreover, it's hard to see how you overcome the problem of the "Here It is!!!" scene. The spider could be less cheesy than it was in 1990, but as far as the physical action in the final confrontations with the monster, it can be summed up as 1) 1958-Boy stares at spider and 2) 1985-Two middle aged men stare at spider, then kill spider. All of the real interaction between the characters and It is internal psychodrama that fills pages and pages of dialogue. I don't think you can film that and have it translate.
So much of King is this way. The world within a world thing he does so often -- so compelling in the mind's eye... but how do you film it?

Dreamcatcher is one of my favorite King books. When dude is imprisoned in his own mind battling the alien, I was glued to the pages for hours. They didn't even touch that in the movie.
Ol Jock 99
AG
queso1 said:

Doesn't bother me at all. Evil clown. Check.

So, has anyone picked up on Bill stuttering in the previews? I haven't, but may have missed it. I hope they don't PC that up; it was a critical part of the story. And I'm a lifelong stutterer....named...Bill.
Ol Jock 99
AG
It's new liar
Serious Lee
Ol Jock 99 said:

queso1 said:

the fact that he didnt seem so demented on initial sight was what made original pennywise so great. this new version looks more like Eli Roth's "Clown".
marble rye
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

queso1 said:

So, has anyone picked up on Bill stuttering in the previews? I haven't, but may have missed it. I hope they don't PC that up; it was a critical part of the story. And I'm a lifelong stutterer....named...Bill.

Reading the book now. Passages where he talks are a beating.
Dro07
AG
Ya a big time bbb bbbbbeeeeeebbbeeeeaaatttiiinnnnn
Ol Jock 99
AG
You need more practice. Or pa-pa-pa-prrrrrrrrr-actice.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

King did a damn good job putting stutter into written word. I wonder if he didn't stutter when younger. If not, he spent a lot of time with someone who did.
schmendeler
AG
Pam Poovey said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

queso1 said:

you know, you don't have to mentally recognize every repeated letter, right? you can just skip them.
mhayden
Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

King did a damn good job putting stutter into written word. I wonder if he didn't stutter when younger. If not, he spent a lot of time with someone who did.

If King spent a lot of time doing the things he writes so vividly about, one has to assume he was a white supremacist pedophile.
mhayden
Uncle Gunnysack said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

queso1 said:

the fact that he didnt seem so demented on initial sight was what made original pennywise so great. this new version looks more like Eli Roth's "Clown".

I reserving judgement until we actually see scenes of Pennywise is non-antagonistic situations. We re-watched the miniseries last week and no doubt Curry is great, but I think people remember how scary he was in a handful of scenes as kids. On re-watch, he's very... theatrical (take his character from Clue and dress him up as a clown and it's pretty damn close)... which is great for the "smiley" clown parts, but there were few if any actual action scenes where he was actually scary. The gutter scene to start was basically makeup and camerawork... and I can't even remember another scene where he pulled off scary in an antagonizing way. Go back and watch Eddie spray his inhaler on him and how he flutters his hands -- it's almost comical, and not deliberately so.

Curry nailed the playful/smiley-demented clown... but he wasn't terrifying. The new Pennywise looks like he can do terror, we'll have to see if he can nail down the fun stuff. It really is a Jack Nicholson / Heath Ledger type situation. Jack's Joker was great in a comic-book-esque way... Heath's Joker was flat out demented.
mhayden
And for those that have read the book and have passed the Patrick Hockstetter parts, I'm finishing it up for the 2nd time and never really picked up on this until now:

It takes on the form of what your biggest fear is... For some it was the teenage werewolf, others the mummy, for Bev it was her dad, etc, etc... Well Patrick was established a sociopath and creeping into the realm of psychopath. He didn't believe anything else in the world was actually "real" except him, and treated it as such. The initial form It took with him were these crazy flying leech-like creatures that originated from an experience Patrick had with leeches when he was a child, but as It confronted him, it described It's form as shifting from a mummy to a werewolf and just ultimately ending up as this "confused" melting wax thing that seemed to be in between forms.

'It' tried to take on the form of what Patrick was scared of and found that there was no shape he could take, because Patrick didn't believe anything other than himself was real anyways. Always thought that was interesting -- this demonic monster that feeds on your worst fears meets some kid that is so messed up that he can't even really scare him.
Serious Lee
free_mhayden said:

It really is a Jack Nicholson / Heath Ledger type situation.
thats a pretty good comparison. id be shocked if the result is the same
CapCityAg89
AG
Bumping the thread because I just finished a re-read. I actually liked the ending of the book, although agree the final confrontation will be challenging for film. I'd suggest they need to approach the discovery of IT as multi-dimensional outside Bill's (and Richie's) confrontation such that the focus of the battle is to kill the physical manifestation. Perhaps explore the impact of the silver pellet and extrapolate ("they silver hurt IT because IT looked like a werewolf; if it looks like a spider, we can squash IT").

The aspect of the conclusion I especially liked those was the postlude of all the principles forgetting each other and what happened - very melancholy; especially when most make such a big deal about remembering victories.

Anyway - I'm looking forward to the movies and am glad they're doing it in at least two parts.
CorpsAg11
AG
Re-bumping b/c the original IT is airing on Spike at 11 pm tonight. Set your DVRs...
mhayden

Apparently new trailer came out last month and I never noticed. Doesn't show a whole lot new, just a lot of the kid interactions... Production value looks good. Get probably our clearest shot of Pennywise at the end and... well we'll see. No doubt he has the scary part down (which Curry actually wasn't that great at) -- but remains to be seen if he can pull off the "normal" clown stuff where he looks like just an out of place clown, not a creature that everyone would be pointing at saying "oh hell no wtf is that?".

The triangle of balloons... Not sure I actually like the scene, but it does give another hint that they are going to be much more true to the book. King described at least a half dozen significant times where a character noticed the balloons acting in a fashion that was un-natural -- and just like a lot of King's stuff the seemingly insignificant can be worded in such a way to be terrifying ("but what always bothered me.. something I just couldn't get out of my head... the balloons were floating against the wind... it just didn't make any sense.").
Post removed:
by user
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
free_mhayden said:

Apparently new trailer came out last month and I never noticed. Doesn't show a whole lot new, just a lot of the kid interactions... Production value looks good. Get probably our clearest shot of Pennywise at the end and... well we'll see. No doubt he has the scary part down (which Curry actually wasn't that great at) -- but remains to be seen if he can pull off the "normal" clown stuff where he looks like just an out of place clown, not a creature that everyone would be pointing at saying "oh hell no wtf is that?".

The triangle of balloons... Not sure I actually like the scene, but it does give another hint that they are going to be much more true to the book. King described at least a half dozen significant times where a character noticed the balloons acting in a fashion that was un-natural -- and just like a lot of King's stuff the seemingly insignificant can be worded in such a way to be terrifying ("but what always bothered me.. something I just couldn't get out of my head... the balloons were floating against the wind... it just didn't make any sense.").
I came away from reading that book with a new-found distaste for balloons, and that book did nothing for my view of clowns either.
mhayden
Official trailer released this morning. I've just about resigned to the fact that the Dark Tower movie is going to be crap, but I'll be damned if I'm not really anticipating this:

LisaMarie
AG
I'm so excited. I have read IT about 10 times and it is one of my favorite books. The trailer shows a little more specifics from the book:
Eddie's pharmacist
The bullies holding Ben about to cut his stomach
The Paul Bunyan statue
Pennywise pictures throughout time in old newspapers and books
Henry Bowers with his knife
mhayden
I'm sure there's going to be some pretty significant changes that will irk me - but from what I've read and what I've seen from the trailer it looks like they are nailing this one.
captkirk
AG
AggieChemist said:

M.C. Swag said:

Stephen King is a genius with plot concepts, but I can't stand his style. He can't seem to create characters the reader cares about.

False
I think that is probably what King is best at. Endings, not so much
Noblemen06
AG
free_mhayden said:

Official trailer released this morning. I've just about resigned to the fact that the Dark Tower movie is going to be crap, but I'll be damned if I'm not really anticipating this:

Looks great and I'm sold on the Pennywise getup...in the still shots previously released I thought it looked underwhelming but after seeing him in motion a little, I don't think there's going to be any problem with this iteration being believably terrifying to these kids.
Buck Compton
AG
**** clowns. That is all.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
You'll float too.

Holy crap, I hate those three words. Still, I am going to see this, as IT is one of the best books I ever read.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.