'It' Remake

59,679 Views | 443 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Proposition Joe
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ah got it... thanks, that's been driving me nuts
TajMaballer
AG
Really really liked it. Agree that it was more enjoyable than scary, but I think that will help it out for the box office. People who don't normally see scary movies will hear it's in the same vein as Stranger Things and might check it out.

Also, my theater was packed last night! I think this is going to break expectations for Opening Weekend. Going to guess $85 million.
TCTTS
AG
Swarely
I would like to state that those kid actors did a fantastic job. The only weak one to me was the kid who played Mike Hanlon.
Hincemm
AG
Swarely said:

I would like to state that those kid actors did a fantastic job. The only weak one to me was the kid who played Mike Hanlon.
/"that's racist" .gif
PlanoAggie
AG
"racist" jokes haven't been funny for a long time -- they need to stop.

especially after what took place yesterday.
SeattleAgJr
PlanoAggie said:

KC beating New England? nothing racist about that.
Presley OBannons Sword
PlanoAggie said:

What?
TCTTS
AG
This may be the dumbest thing I've seen posted on TexAgs in a long, long time. And that's saying something.
Hincemm
AG
Um. Sorry?

Hincemm
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

PlanoAggie said:

What?

Referring to the sumlin letter...
Hincemm
AG
Or Michael bennett
Hincemm
AG
Or daca. Never sure these days.
Presley OBannons Sword
Hincemm said:

Presley OBannons Sword said:

PlanoAggie said:

What?

Referring to the sumlin letter...

I know. I'm just replying "what" to his incredibly stupid post.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Boring fight is boring!
TheDoctor
AG
The book is a favorite of mine.

I enjoyed ever minute of this. Highly recommend.
zip90
AG
Red the book when it came out and have re-read it every 5 years or so. One of my all time favorites.

Movie was really good. Not great, but really good.

Looking forward to Chapter two.
mhayden
Agree with most of the reviews so far... Scattershooting spoilers below:

Entertaining movie, but not really scary. Thought Losers Club was good, though all of Eddie's lines seemed forced.

Thought Henry and his gang were pretty weak from an acting standpoint. Knew we wouldn't get a true Patrick, Belch was pretty much MIA save for a burp... and Henry I thought only did well during the latter parts of the movie when he was supposed to be spaced out (because that's how his acting seemed most of the time).

Some of the scenes were a little ridiculous, but a lot of the book scenes were too -- King just wrote them so well that for whatever reason they were scary (giant bird, Paul Bunyon, etc...)

Even though it was 2 hours, I didn't feel like we really go to know any of the kids. Why does Henry hate them? What is the history between the Bowers and the Hanlons? Even the stuff like Eddie's mom that they did touch on they did so without much depth... felt like Eddie and his ailments was actually done better in the miniseries.

Enjoyed the nods to the book (the freezer, beep beep, etc...), but it just left me longing for something more true to the book.

Tough to follow Curry's footsteps with Pennywise... I didn't like all the... teeth... but I thought they did an excellent job truly showing him trying to stir up fear in the kids and being frustrated when he couldn't.

Thought the leper was pretty poorly done. Almost laughable.

Probably my favorite part of the movie and the one where I thought they just nailed the character personality -- even with the character not being in the scene -- the three doors of "Scary, Very Scary and Not Scary At All". Absolutely loved that.

Overall I enjoyed it and look forward to the sequel, but as far as major horror flicks go I still think the Conjuring and Conjuring 2 were superior.
k20dub
AG
Noblemen06
AG
Did anyone else find the moment where Pennywise was munching on a kid's limb while being a spectator to Mike getting beat up morbidly funny? Idk why, but that little flash was humorous to me...just showed how sadistic he was. Just like the scary, very scary, not scary at all scene, I thought they nailed the evil clown humor in this one.
Noblemen06
AG
Swarely said:

Noblemen06 said:

bthomas98 said:

For those that have seen it, how is the blood/gore/scariness? My 13/15 year olds really want to see this and had made plans this weekend.

They have seen Stranger Things but the most violence they have seen is probably Nolan Batman trilogy/Marvel movies.
Lots of each.

This.

I was actually really surprised when Georgie got killed by how graphic it was. Really set the tone for the movie.
Totally agree with your point...I couldn't get the spoiler tags to work in my first post with my post-screening reaction but that was definitely a stage-setter...from the get-go, you knew this wasn't going to leave things to your imagination like the TV miniseries had to.
Sex Panther
AG
Agree with you on the leper... that was a huge miss
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lots of hype surrounding the trailers, goodwill from Stranger Things, now 90% on RT, plus an all-around good couple years for horror...

Could this do $100M?
$103-108M estimated.
BenFiasco14
AG
Saw last night. Never read the book, but I have seen the mini series many years ago. Loved the movie! Lot of people here saying it wasn't really scary but I disagree. Maybe not super frightening, or truly dreadful like a good slow burn horror movie, but there were certainly some scary parts.

I'll be completely honest, I had no idea there was a part of the story where the losers club are adults

So, I'm considering reading the book. Should I?

Huge horror fan.
pilgrim82
AG
Saw it this afternoon...enjoyed it thoroughly for the most part. The Richie actor annoyed the hell out of me, but he also did in "Stranger Things." Patrick Hockstetter was played by Owen Teague, who was also in "Bloodlnes." The leper was disappointing, more like something out of a kids' Halloween party than a multimillion dollar movie.

And yes, Ben, you should read the book.
SeattleAgJr
BenFiasco14 said:

Saw last night. Never read the book, but I have seen the mini series many years ago. Loved the movie! Lot of people here saying it wasn't really scary but I disagree. Maybe not super frightening, or truly dreadful like a good slow burn horror movie, but there were certainly some scary parts.

I'll be completely honest, I had no idea there was a part of the story where the losers club are adults

So, I'm considering reading the book. Should I?

Huge horror fan.
yes, in my opinion one of SK's better books.

That said, as with most of his books, I think he whiffs on the end at all, and it is a bit of a letdown.
FtBendTxAg
AG
One of the worst movies I've ever paid to see in adulthood.

Wing commander being the worst I've ever paid to see.

IT comes in 2nd.

FtBendTxAg
AG
Edit: Kid actors were fantastic. Film just sucked.
aggiebonzo
AG
Saw it today. Favorite movie of the year so far.
aggiebonzo
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

One of the worst movies I've ever paid to see in adulthood.

Wing commander being the worst I've ever paid to see.

IT comes in 2nd.

Did we see the same movie???
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Uh. Explain.
TCTTS
AG
I'll take the bait.

While not anywhere near "one of the worst movies I've ever paid to see in adulthood," I thought it was an extremely average movie at best. In fact, I was hoping/thinking it was essentially over after the initial encounter with Pennywise at the abandoned house, but once it became apparent that we still had an entire third act to go, I started to dread being in the theater for another 20+ minutes. It was just... not engaging at all. Funny at times and kind of charming in its own weird way, but overall, for whatever reason, I just felt a disconnect from everything that was unfolding.

Every frame, every plot point, every character felt like something we've seen a thousand times before. And please, I've more than reached my nostalgia quota of small-town-'80s-kids-on-bikes, so after Stranger Things, can we seriously retire this trope for at least a decade or so? The kids' performances themselves were fine/good - the girl, in particular, was great - but man, the adults in this movie were not only bad actors, but such sh*tty characters as well. I realize that's kind of the point, but they weren't even interestingly sh*tty, just straight up cliched sh*tty. And speaking of cliched, that main bully kid had to have been one of the most over-the-top '80s high school bullies I've ever seen. He wasn't just an assh*le, he was a raving lunatic psycho who's actions continually felt so needlessly and incredibly extreme. Sorry, but a jerk cop dad isn't enough to warrant the sheer terror that kid was unleashing all over town. That, and again, we've seen that basic character type a gazillion times before and they brought nothing new to it save for his unwarranted super psycho-ness.

I don't know, I guess a big part of it was that I'm just continually underwhelmed by modern horror movies in general. Every jump scare nowadays is like this overly choreographed, effects-heavy *sequence* that is beyond telegraphed both in the way it's executed and especially in the music. The most effective/creepy scene BY FAR was the opening gutter scene with Pennywise - because it was so simple - but I thought everything else scare-wise was downhill from there. Are people really frightened by this sh*t? I just don't get it. These movies to me are like bad funhouse rides were you can anticipate every single scare around every single corner. It all just feels so controlled and guided to the point where you never are allowed a sense of true dread or shock. That, and I've said this before, but the ghosts/demons/monsters in these movies who are trying so desperately to BE scary just simply aren't. Half the time you can't help but imagine all the planning, theatrics, and choreography these entities have to go through just to *****with some kids and you can't help but laugh at the absurdity of it all. It just feels so desperate.

I will say that the final act ended up being better than I thought - I can always appreciate a good, climactic set piece, which that definitely was - but all the weird beats leading up to it (WTF was up with that random cleaning-up-the-blood-in-the-bathroom sequence?) just didn't work for me. To the point where I have absolutely no desire to watch a sequel with these characters as adults. Then again, at least they won't be on ****ing bikes, riding by movie marquees with whatever wink-wink "classic" movies showing, going to arcades, and communicating via talkie-talkies. Seriously, I used to LOVE that stuff in movies - I was that kid doing all that exact same stuff in the '80s - but now I'm almost actively repulsed by it. Enough already.
Swarely
Just curious, have you read the book? I'm assuming you saw the IT miniseries back in the day. The reason I ask is that even though I loved this movie, it was like watching a film I had seen a dozen times. Like when I rewatch Dazed and Confused. I knew the source material waaaaayyy to well, and had watched the trailers too many times.
TCTTS
AG
Never read the book, but saw the miniseries back in the day. That said, the only things I could remember from it where Pennywise, two timelines, and a stuttering kid/adult.
c-jags
TCTTS said:

Never read the book, but saw the miniseries back in the day. That said, the only things I could remember from it where Pennywise, two timelines, and a stuttering kid/adult.

Not complaining about your review because its points were valid, but over the top bully, terrible adults, and jumping out scare tactics were all in the original book.

If anything, Hollywood made that stuff too much of the MO after this came out than the book borrowed from that.

It's like people complaining about Iron Fist stealing from Batman Begins when IF being an orphan and studying ninja stuff in the Far East was canon waaaaaaaaaaayyyy before Batman.

Same thing will be the case when people ***** that Wheel of Time is too much like GoT or whatever.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.