'It' Remake

59,692 Views | 443 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Proposition Joe
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got back from seeing IT. Overall I thought ITwas a decent movie. IT was not a cheap piece of crap. Production design was really good. Pennywise was fantastically realized, and actually made me forget about Tim Curry. The kid actors were great, although the underwear scene was just a bit uncomfortable for me. Henry Bowers was a psycho, good job by the actor making that clear. I don't recall from the book if he fell down that shaft but I do recall his re-appearance during the adult sequences of the book. While there were a few of those "pop out" scares, most of that was utterly predictable, and as such the movie does not realize its true scare potential.

But I will echo what was said above regarding the 80s, bike-riding, movie theater marquee cliched stuff. We've seen that a bunch lately. Hell, parts of this movie even made me think of Super 8. I think they could have given us a different look had they simply made the movie as it was in the book, with the kids' stuff being set in the '50s and having these encounters with the creature from the black lagoon, the wolf man, etc. Probably still have the bicycle thing, and probably even the marquee thing, but I feel like that might have given this a different feel than simply another nostalgic look at the '80s. (And we're getting a real '80s nostalgia-fest next year with Spielberg's Ready Player One by the look of that preview).

Of the books that King published under his own name, I always thought IT was among the very best, but with a couple of notable exceptions, the movies rarely ended up being worth my time. Salem's Lot is an example of a great (TV) movie of a King novel. The Shining, despite Jack Nicholson, is actually not as far as being an adaptation of the book; The Shining is nevertheless quite a great movie simply because of Jack Nicholson, but I never felt like Kubrick's movie was really King's novel on screen. The TV mini-series was far closer to the book than Kubrick's movie was. IT is a fair adaptation, and I will see the second half of IT.
mhayden
I feel like the "getting really sick of 80s kids on bikes cliche" isn't really fair in this situation. Most are tired of it because they likely watched 7+ hours of 'Stranger Things' just last year.

The Duffer Brothers went to Warner Bros. and tried to get the OK to do the 'It' remake and were told no. It's not really a surprise that their Netflix series has a lot of similarities - it's inspired by the book.
TCTTS
AG
Some sequel tidbits for those interested...

Sex Panther
AG
I was wondering if the success of this, has any bearing on the actors in the sequel. Like would this make them more likely, or less likely to try and get really big stars?
M.C. Swag
AG
The directors sound like they crafted the movie with a vision and full support from the studio. I'm excited to see what they do next with what I'm presuming will be a substantial green light (budget wise) as a result of chapter 1's success.

Also, Jessica Chastain would be a great choice for Bev. Was definitely the first choice to pop in my mind during the movie.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it sounds like Jessica Chastain is extremely likely for Beverly, based on that article. A couple good suggestions I've seen thrown around on Twitter are Zach Woods for Bill and Chris Pratt for Ben. But yeah, I image they're absolutely going to be able to pull in some big names now.
M.C. Swag
AG
Zach Woods!? Oh boy. It'd be weird seeing him in a horror type setting. I'll always see him as Jared.
mhayden
Will be disappointed if I see they split Part 2 into two movies... I understand that the success of Part 1 is driving it, but if anything Part 1 could have used the extra screentime, not Part 2.
M.C. Swag
AG
In the interview that TCTTS posted, the directors said they do not want to split part 2. Rest assured.
mhayden
A multi-year sitcom star for grown up Ben? How original.
mhayden
M.C. Swag said:

In the interview that TCTTS posted, the directors said they do not want to split part 2. Rest assured.

After The Hobbit got as many movies as the entire Lord of the Rings saga, I'll believe Hollywood doesn't go for a money-grab when I see it.
M.C. Swag
AG
lol they literally addressed that concern almost word-for-word and even mentioned The Hobbit.
mhayden
schmendeler
AG
I enjoyed it but didn't really consider it that scary. More of a thriller. Most of what was scary was stuff that kids were afraid of. The tense parts involved the kids getting in danger rather than being scared by what was attacking them. Hopefully the adult half is better in that regard.

To rephrase, while being "r-rated", it felt like a kids movie to me.
Fairview
AG
I agree with it seeming more thriller than horror. My wife was hesitant about seeing it because she hadn't read the book and assumed it would be a gore fest but that's not how most of King's books are. She and I both thought it was good.

Disappointed that chapter 2 won't be until at least 2019. Would have been cool to do a back to the future 2 ending where they showed a preview for the next movie at the end of the first movie. I know it would probably be less profitable but having this one come out a little earlier in the summer and then chapter 2 come out around Halloween would have been awesome.
TCTTS
AG
When Cary ***unaga (director of the first season of True Detective) was developing the script and attached to direct, I'm pretty sure the plan was to shoot both films back-to-back / simultaneously. But when he dropped out due to creative differences, I think Warner Bros. decided to play it safe and concentrate on shooting/releasing just the first movie, and then go from there. One of the great "what ifs" is ***unaga's directorial version, instead of the screenplay-only credit he ultimately got.
TCTTS
AG
I forgot that TexAgs has the most ridiculous censoring rules ever and doesn't allow F-u-k-u-n-a-g-a.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

I forgot that TexAgs has the most ridiculous censoring rules ever and doesn't allow F-u-k-u-n-a-g-a.
first thing that came to mind:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bill Hader for Richie.
Scotty Flamingo
Haven't read through this whole thread...but did any other theaters yall went to play that creepy ass halo top ice cream commercial before the movie?
I catched it last night. $5 tickets for Tuesday. It was a PACKED venue. I thought it was a great movie with great characters. There were many laugh out loud moments. Moreso than an actual comedy. I do agree with the rest of this discussion that it just wasn't scary. The "scariness" of the movie really reminded me of "Drag Me to Hell." Just a series of fabricated pop ups that we're easily anticipated. But overall, a solid movie that I will watch again when it hits Vudu.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
TCTTS said:

When Cary ***unaga (director of the first season of True Detective) was developing the script and attached to direct, I'm pretty sure the plan was to shoot both films back-to-back / simultaneously. But when he dropped out due to creative differences, I think Warner Bros. decided to play it safe and concentrate on shooting/releasing just the first movie, and then go from there. One of the great "what ifs" is ***unaga's directorial version, instead of the screenplay-only credit he ultimately got.
Would have been infinitely more "rapey" for sure.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll be honest, I felt really awkward when all the kids were in underwear. After that I was legit worried they might do "that scene" from the book at the end.
jokershady
AG
Haven't seen the movie yet (want to), but found this to be some nice interesting facts around the IT movie adaptation. Things like it almost had a NC-17 rating and the off-set interactions between the kids and the Pennywise actor.

Keep in mind this was made before the movie actually came out

mhayden
The ***unaga script is floating around the internet if anyone wants to read it.
CorpsAg11
AG
I think I came in with my expectations too high for this movie. I was not blown away by it. It is definitely better than the miniseries, which has not aged well.

I enjoyed myself for the most part but I am a horror movie connoisseur and I don't think it belongs in the upper echelon of horror flicks...
CorpsAg11
AG
Was grown-up Bill the creepy dude with the ponytail in the miniseries? I hated that guy so much...
Philip J Fry
AG
Found it funnier than it was scary.
FTACof2011
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Found it funnier than it was scary.

That was my thought leaving, too. I thought it was an ok film but didn't find any of it scary.
TXCityAggie
AG
Wanted to like it but didn't.
GetThoseKeysMilo
Finally saw it today. Intentionally tried not to read any spoilers. Sort of disappointed they changed the time period. I think the context of the time was pretty important to their childhood and it screwed with some of the character development. I didn't necessarily like how they turned the bully into a mindless goon, when really in the book his character is actually pretty complicated. I think this would have been better off for a 6 to 10 part mini series to help with the character development. Wish they would have put the bullying into more context. He wasn't randomly picking on the fat kid, he had a reason. Same with the others. They took a lot of the brutality out of it, especially the emotional brutality that played such a key factor in the narrative of the book.

All in all, if I didn't really know anything about the book I would have thought this was actually a pretty good movie. I think my disappointment was more in along the lines of so much of the story was taken out, but thats to be expected when you take a 1000 page novel and try to compress it into 2 hours. It wasn't scary, but it kept the viewer locked in.

And agree with the underwear scene being awkward. It looked like they were each wearing 4 pairs of underwear in layers just to make sure nothing showed, the old lady next to me even made a comment about it.

I think the kid actors were really good, especially Bill. I thought the adult acting was pretty terrible.
Presley OBannons Sword
GetThoseKeysMilo said:

Finally saw it today. Intentionally tried not to read any spoilers. Sort of disappointed they changed the time period. I think the context of the time was pretty important to their childhood and it screwed with some of the character development. I didn't necessarily like how they turned the bully into a mindless goon, when really in the book his character is actually pretty complicated. I think this would have been better off for a 6 to 10 part mini series to help with the character development. Wish they would have put the bullying into more context. He wasn't randomly picking on the fat kid, he had a reason. Same with the others. They took a lot of the brutality out of it, especially the emotional brutality that played such a key factor in the narrative of the book.

All in all, if I didn't really know anything about the book I would have thought this was actually a pretty good movie. I think my disappointment was more in along the lines of so much of the story was taken out, but thats to be expected when you take a 1000 page novel and try to compress it into 2 hours. It wasn't scary, but it kept the viewer locked in.

And agree with the underwear scene being awkward. It looked like they were each wearing 4 pairs of underwear in layers just to make sure nothing showed, the old lady next to me even made a comment about it.

I think the kid actors were really good, especially Bill. I thought the adult acting was pretty terrible.

nice, succinct post that I agree with 100%
schmendeler
AG
Quote:

I thought the adult acting was pretty terrible.
I didn't think they were terrible, but I also think the reason for thinking so was because of the heavy kid perspective bias that the movie had. everything is seen from the perspective of the kids, so the adults are going to be skewed from our perspective.
mhayden
They mentioned why Bowers hated the kids, but it was a quick toss-in -- definitely an issue where there simply wasn't enough time to flesh them all out.

Hell, the writeups I read said Mike was home-schooled -- but I think they must have mentioned that quickly in passing because I didn't get that from the movie.
schmendeler
AG
free_mhayden said:

They mentioned why Bowers hated the kids, but it was a quick toss-in -- definitely an issue where there simply wasn't enough time to flesh them all out.

Hell, the writeups I read said Mike was home-schooled -- but I think they must have mentioned that quickly in passing because I didn't get that from the movie.
they called him the "home school kid".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.