'It' Remake

59,693 Views | 443 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Proposition Joe
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trailer supposed to drop on Wednesday.

I've kind of started shifting my hopes from The Dark Tower movie to this one (even though DT is my favorite King work).

While the director change means we're likely not going to get something as dark as it deserves to be, I think it still has potential.

The lack of any significant promotion coming from the Dark Tower camp (for a movie that supposedly is coming out in 3-4 months) has basically got me abandoning hope that it's even going to be a halfway decent time investment.
schmendeler
AG
the poster for dark tower came out like last week.
schmendeler
AG
http://www.slashfilm.com/the-dark-tower-teaser-poster/

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I thought this was going to be about It?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
schmendeler said:

I think what he means is that, apart from a poster that just dropped last week, there has been no buzz or promotion for The Dark Tower.

It comes out in July. Other July movies are Spider-Man: Homecoming, Dunkirk, War for the Planet of the Apes, Valerian and Atomic Blonde. All of these movies have had trailers already drop. Some have been out for months.

Yet, not a peep from The Dark Tower. Not a single clip or really official still from the film. Not a big deal, just a little unusual for such an anticipated movie with a cast like this.
mhayden
schmendeler said:

(Not to derailed my own thread, but....)

I know, but it's obviously got major issues. Even ignoring the initial problems with getting it greenlit, promotion for it seemed to be full steam ahead back in the Fall of last year... Major article about it Entertainment Weekly, a gimmicky phone app, social media promotion pages for tertiary characters popping up, etc...

Then as the 4th quarter hit (and since), almost nothing. An unfinished trailer was leaked that looked severely underwhelming, and as of a few weeks ago they were doing re-shoots.

If this was a smaller King tale that took place in a fairly confined setting (like a Misery) then that wouldn't be that concerning. But an epic "multiple world" adaptation? And we're less than 4 months out and zero promotion and no trailer?

While I don't think anyone thought it would compare in scope, to give a somewhat related comparison -- the first Lord of the Rings movie had a teaser trailer that dropped 20 months before the film released.

Odds are the film is going to be a disaster.
Noblemen06
AG
Dark Tower would be much better suited as an HBO serial, imo. However, there's way more money to be made with even a half-decent feature film, I suppose.

Back on topic...pumped for IT to come out. Curious how Pennywise is portrayed in the movie version. Replacing Curry will be a tall order for anyone. TV series may have had its corny moments but it remains one of my favorite "scary movies" from childhood.
Noblemen06
AG

Looks way different...could be creepy or could end up being colossally cheesy.
Presley OBannons Sword
Noblemen06 said:

Dark Tower would be much better suited as an HBO serial, imo. However, there's way more money to be made with even a half-decent feature film, I suppose.

Back on topic...pumped for IT to come out. Curious how Pennywise is portrayed in the movie version. Replacing Curry will be a tall order for anyone. TV series may have had its corny moments but it remains one of my favorite "scary movies" from childhood.
TV's IT is such a weird mix of camp and horror. I love it, but it swings so wildly between sheer horror and cheesy 80s lightheartedness that I can see why someone who didn't grow up on it wouldn't like it.

There isn't a good track record for making SK books into movies. I have low expectations for both IT and The Dark Tower series.
Presley OBannons Sword
Noblemen06 said:

this picture alone makes me think it's going to be bad. Pennywise isn't a psycho looking creepy clown. He's a normal clown that kids want to approach. Kids would run from this.
gigemJTH12
AG
the movie poster could be exaggerating his creepiness though for dramatic effect. This could be what he looks like once the kids know who he is and he is just chasing after them.

I dont know.

IT is one of my favorite horrors ever. I hope this one is good.
Cancelled
AG
Right. The terror of pennywise was how "innocent" he looked on first glance, but upon closer reflection you could see how evil he was.
mhayden
Yeah, you can't really gauge how good the new Pennywise will be from stills. We know he'll look scary when he's in "mean" form, the question will be how he looks in "nice" form.

Found this on reddit, apparently a mural that will appear in the film. Really hope they delve into the history as much as they can, although obviously they will be limited for time. The first few chapters of the novel where they mention the gay guy getting assaulted (and then killed by Pennywise in the canal) did such a great job of conveying how the town was just bad underneath the exterior and that is what allowed Pennywise to flourish. I can still recall getting chills when they are interrogating the guy (who eventually gets convicted of murder) and he asks if anyone found the clown...

gigemJTH12
AG
exactly. Mean form is different. This is from the first movie as you all know.

Ol Jock 99
Presley OBannons Sword
free_mhayden said:

Yeah, you can't really gauge how good the new Pennywise will be from stills. We know he'll look scary when he's in "mean" form, the question will be how he looks in "nice" form.

Found this on reddit, apparently a mural that will appear in the film. Really hope they delve into the history as much as they can, although obviously they will be limited for time. The first few chapters of the novel where they mention the gay guy getting assaulted (and then killed by Pennywise in the canal) did such a great job of conveying how the town was just bad underneath the exterior and that is what allowed Pennywise to flourish. I can still recall getting chills when they are interrogating the guy (who eventually gets convicted of murder) and he asks if anyone found the clown...

This is why it would be so much better as a series. It's just too much to cover in a movie, even a three hour movie.
mhayden
amercer
AG
As long as they include the underage gangbang scene I'm sure it will be great....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SeattleAgJr
amercer said:

As long as they include the underage gangbang scene I'm sure it will be great....
yeah that part was so laughable.
Mr. White
Waaaaay underage at that. Sickening.

There was probably a light pollen-like dusting of cocaine on that typewriter.
Fairview
AG
Mr. White said:

It had to be something like that. I read a lot of books and that may be the oddest, wtf moment in any of them.
jokershady
AG
It sucked
GoAgs92
AG
Fairview said:

Mr. White said:

It had to be something like that. I read a lot of books and that may be the oddest, wtf moment in any of them.
The editor probably said, "uhhh...Steve, I need to cut this part about the preteen girl pulling a train with those nerds"

Steve: "man...how are a bunch of virgins gonna defeat evil...man, who's the ****ing best selling writer here...me or you...leave it in or i'm finding a new editor...your job is to look for continuity..and that's it...*******!"
HeadGames
AG
What? That's really in the book? That's pretty disturbing.
TXAG 05
AG
HeadGames said:

What? That's really in the book? That's pretty disturbing.

Yes it is. And in a book full of crazy stuff, that scene is just a total WTF?!?
zap
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

free_mhayden said:

This is why it would be so much better as a series. It's just too much to cover in a movie, even a three hour movie.
"IT" will be two separate movies. One when they were kids and a follow on when they are grown up.
TXAG 05
AG
zap said:

free_mhayden said:

"IT" will be two separate movies. One when they were kids and a follow on when they are grown up.

I wish they would weave back and forth between the present and past like the book did. Although that would probably pretty hard to do on film.
Cancelled
AG
I watched part of the movie last night. I had watched as a kid on primetime and the once more about 10 years ago. God, this movie was terrible. Yet, I enjoy it still.

And, seriously, what kind of childhood did King have? All adults are not that bad.
Presley OBannons Sword
oh Stephen King. the man I hate so much, but I just cant quit.
mhayden
mhayden
Sapper Redux

Noblemen06 said:

this picture alone makes me think it's going to be bad. Pennywise isn't a psycho looking creepy clown. He's a normal clown that kids want to approach. Kids would run from this.

Was he? I got the sense in the book that there was something really off about him to everyone from the first glance. His ability to approach kids (and adults) had as much to do with a sort of uncanny valley effect of his appearance and hypnotism as the fact that he was dressed as a clown.
Flashdiaz
AG
Dr. Watson said:

Noblemen06 said:

Was he? I got the sense in the book that there was something really off about him to everyone from the first glance. His ability to approach kids (and adults) had as much to do with a sort of uncanny valley effect of his appearance and hypnotism as the fact that he was dressed as a clown.

he looks like a person trying really hard to look evil... it would be more creepy if he had a blank stare.
Presley OBannons Sword
Dr. Watson said:

Noblemen06 said:

yeah I guess I can see that. really IT is a book and Pennywise is a character open to all kinds of interpretations, so I guess really anyone is right. my personal take on him is that he isn't your standard "scary clown". but who knows, maybe they can pull it off.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.