'It' Remake

59,698 Views | 443 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Proposition Joe
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My gdamn moviepass needs to get here before this weekend.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Sex Panther said:

I'm confident that we may be looking at an all timer in the horror genre.

Just gonna quote this for record keeping purposes
Sex Panther
AG
Ok
Noblemen06
AG
About 20 mins from showtime here in Seoul...will report back! I've been excited for this one!
PlanoAggie
AG
well, Noblemen06?
wangus12
AG
Sounds like IT got him
PlanoAggie
AG
WHOA!
mhayden
Pleasant surprise on Rotten Tomatoes
Noblemen06
AG
I thought it was a damn good adaptation...key word: adaptation. I think book fans will both love the depiction of Pennywise and the Loser's Club but hate the lack of development (byproduct of cramming so much story into a feature-length film) and the third act.

As a horror movie, it delivers big time, in my opinion.
Skarsgard's Pennywise was perfect and the Loser's Club/Bowers gang were Stranger Things-good. 80s references we're also money. Several nods to the book and a couple to the miniseries. Staying past the credits isn't worth it.

Can't wait for Chapter 2!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

Usually, when a studio doesn't allow reveiws to drop until the day before a film's release, it means it's likely a crap movie and the studio wants to delay the negative buzz for as long as they can. That said, I've heard/read nothing but good things about this one. That, and it's poised to pull in $80M+ this weekend at the box office, so I wouldn't look too much into it. I think the buzz is right where WB wants it to be and maybe they just don't want to risk rocking the boat.
Maybe (just maybe), WB knows that reviews to this are mostly very good and are waiting until right before the movie opens to drop all this love onto it.

Kind of like a "we've been scaring the sh*t out of you with the trailers for a few months, now listen to the reviews saying that it's even scarier than what you thought" ploy?

That would be a bold strategy, Cotton. But maybe, for once, WB knows they have a critic-approved winner and are playing those reviews close to the chest until the last minute.
Sapper Redux
Noblemen06 said:

I thought it was a damn good adaptation...key word: adaptation. I think book fans will both love the depiction of Pennywise and the Loser's Club but hate the lack of development (byproduct of cramming so much story into a feature-length film) and the third act.

As a horror movie, it delivers big time, in my opinion.
Skarsgard's Pennywise was perfect and the Loser's Club/Bowers gang were Stranger Things-good. 80s references we're also money. Several nods to the book and a couple to the miniseries. Staying past the credits isn't worth it.

Can't wait for Chapter 2!

This doesn't surprise me. I wasn't thrilled with the third act in the book and it seems damn near impossible to film.

Or are you suggesting we'd be upset because of the lack of a preteen sex party?
mavsfan4ever
AG
i just started reading the book last week. I've read about 300 of the 1000 pages so far. Is this movie covering the whole book, or is the book being divided up into multiple movies?
Sex Panther
AG
I think it's currently set for two movies
Seabreeze
Multiple I believe, two films.
mhayden
Multiple movies, but they will be split kids/adults unlike the book that goes back and forth.
Noblemen06
AG
The movie is linear and only tells the kids' portion of the story. It could stand on its own without the adult portion "sequel."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lots of hype surrounding the trailers, goodwill from Stranger Things, now 90% on RT, plus an all-around good couple years for horror...

Could this do $100M?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Not sure why this fell off my watchlist. Back you go!
Sex Panther
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lots of hype surrounding the trailers, goodwill from Stranger Things, now 90% on RT, plus an all-around good couple years for horror...

Could this do $100M?

You mean in the opening weekend? Yes I think it has a chance
Noblemen06
AG
Wouldn't want to be accused of leaking spoilers...but no. Just...no.

Of the mountains of weird things King has written, that sequence may be at the crest.
Noblemen06
AG
A few spoilerish thoughts, now that I've gotten to sleep on it:
1. The opening sequence is probably the closest to being faithful to the book version as anything else in the movie. It sets the tone for the movie being about Pennywise preying on kids based on their fears. It also makes very clear from the get go that this isn't your 30 year old TV miniseries...you will see Pennywise in all his monstrous glory less than 15 minutes in.
2. The movie version of Pennywise comes across as just a child-torturing movie monster with some vague reference to having deadlights (though the deadlights aren't mentioned by name). He mentions how they taste better when they are scared but all in all, he comes across as preying on kids every 27 years using their fears for seasoning. This movie doesn't get into the cosmic aspects or deep into the historical aspects of It.
3. There's a lot of movie in here for the two hours you're in the seat but it still just skims the surface. You don't get the kids as well-developed individually, you don't get them coming together as naturally, and you don't get them investigating It much either. No ritual of Chd at all. I'm curious if they save the more cosmic/investigative stuff for the sequel.

5. Henry Bowers is made to be a somewhat sympathetic villain. He and his gang are portrayed very well (all the kids' acting was pretty solid) but they are not as central as I felt they were in the book or the miniseries.
6. There is humor in the movie and it works. Some of it is super morbid but hilarious in a dark, dark way (Pennywise as a spectator to Bowers gang beating up one of the kids was so surprising while being darkly silly i laughed out loud)
7. Ultimately, I loved the first two acts. The ending was fine on its own right...movie adaptations often have to depart for their source material and for the most part I think they stayed true to what It was about (albeit a bit more generalized for a wider horror movie audience). I walked away thinking how outstanding the team that made this movie would do a truer-to-the-book adaptation for an 8-episode HBO show. So much felt left out for the sake of the format...like they wanted to go there but didn't have the time.
Overall, I'd give it an A. It's a solid horror movie and a good (not great) adaptation of half of a Stephen King novel.
SeattleAgJr
SeattleTimes was pretty harsh.

1.5 out of 4.

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/movies/it-review-stephen-kings-killer-clown-eventually-loses-its-bite/

The clown ... the only way they can defeat him is to join forces .... By doing that they set the stage for the inevitable sequel, which will concentrate on adult iterations of these same characters.

Based on the weakness of this inaugural effort, that's a prospect to be viewed with true dread.
Murder Hornet
AG
For those that have seen it, how is the blood/gore/scariness? My 13/15 year olds really want to see this and had made plans this weekend.

They have seen Stranger Things but the most violence they have seen is probably Nolan Batman trilogy/Marvel movies.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
It's a good thing I read the book way back in 1986, as I've forgotten much of the details of it, so I won't be following along the book while watching the movie. Hopefully that will allow for a more enjoyable book-to-movie experience than, say, Patriot Games. Seeing IT on Monday after my daughter finally gets to go back to school.
Noblemen06
AG
bthomas98 said:

For those that have seen it, how is the blood/gore/scariness? My 13/15 year olds really want to see this and had made plans this weekend.

They have seen Stranger Things but the most violence they have seen is probably Nolan Batman trilogy/Marvel movies.
Lots of each.
Ag13
AG
Seeing in a few minutes. Very excited!!
Hincemm
AG
We all float down here
AggieOO
bthomas98 said:

i'd guess they've seen way more violence than you think.
Swarely
Noblemen06 said:

bthomas98 said:

Lots of each.

This.

I was actually really surprised when Georgie got killed by how graphic it was. Really set the tone for the movie.
Grapesoda2525
I'm going to see this next week sometime during the day.

I think it would be so funny if I went to buy my ticket, paid, and the guy behind the counter held my ticket up with a creepy glare and said "take it".
Sex Panther
AG
My review:

I've never seen the original or read the book, although I'm very familiar with the story. This seemed like a pretty faithful telling, although I know with King you can never capture everything from his books the way they deserve to be in a two-hour movie.

It's a good movie, but not great... It definitely seems like they watched Stranger Things, and said, "Ok, this is what we're doing"

The kids were all really good, and there's actually a ton of humor.

While I enjoyed it, I will say that it just wasn't scary to me, at all. It looked so terrifying from the trailers, but I didn't jump once. I never got a sense of dread and it never got under my skin the way I thought it would. So in a way, that was disappointing.

It's a fun, enjoyable popcorn movie... Just not a scary one

Sex Panther
AG
will someone explain wtf I'm doing wrong with spoiler tags??? This keeps happening
Ag13
AG
Thought the movie was fantastic and a great adaptation of the book. The changes were necessary for movie form and I thought it played out well and still did a good job of telling the story.

My one complaint though is that it was not dark/scary enough. It had a real Goonies/Stranger Things type feel to it, which could work for a more mainstream audience and seemed to work with the kid actors. It was scary in parts, but the evil represented was not nearly as evil as it is in the books. I'm hoping the second movie that focuses on the adults is more adult themed. I'm actually surprised that this one was rated R, felt much more like a PG-13 movie. The gore wasn't THAT bad.
Swarely
Sex Panther said:

will someone explain wtf I'm doing wrong with spoiler tags??? This keeps happening

Looks like you didn't it correctly to me.
TCTTS
AG
You can't have italics or bold or basically any other tags/code between spoiler tags. It's really dumb. Took me forever to figure that out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.