*** JUSTICE LEAGUE ***

111,456 Views | 1009 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Brick Tamland
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Aquaman wrapped shooting literally last week, and surely that movie marks the beginning of the end now.
Back in the 90's, Aquaman would be quietly diverted to the "Direct-to-video" market, where the studio wouldn't have to spend any money advertising it and would not have to really acknowledge it's existence.

You would find Aquaman wedged on a video shelf between Darkman III: Die Darkman Die and Tremors 4.
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther said:

Also TC, just curious... with the fall of Harvey Weinstein. Is Kevin Feige now the most powerful person in Hollywood?
I believe that title still belongs to Spielberg, but Feige is certainly up there. Regardless, both apparently couldn't be nicer, so it's good to have some non-assh*les at the top.
TCTTS
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Do you think WB will FINALLY dump Snyder? This is his 3rd DC film that, while it may do well financially, will be a crap film.
He's already been "dumped." When his daughter died and he left post-production on JL, that was effectively it. Even before then, the writing was on the wall, and I doubt WB would have invited him back regardless, but he'll never direct another DC property again.
Charlie Delta
I wonder if Ben Afleck sexually harrassed Gal Gadot.
Sapper Redux
Is this in reference to both Justice League films or just the one coming out in the next couple weeks?
TCTTS
AG
The one coming out next month. There's not really a "both" at this point as the second one was put on ice quite a while back. There are rumors that a script for JL2 is being working on, but it sounds like WB is taking a wait and see approach before actually moving forward on it.
AgMarauder04
AG
Thank Christ.

Snyder kills everything I love.
p-townag
AG
Casually following this whole ordeal, it seems like too much was already set in stone and rolling with Snyder by the time they promoted Geoff Johns. I believe the script was already in place, and from the early set visits it appeared they were trying to fix things on the fly with [insert joke here] rewrites.

Nobody had the balls or money to stop the freight train that was already rolling. The whole thing desperately needed someone to say, "Wait a minute, this really sucks, let's just start over."
Simplebay
AG
just look at all the red spew crap. this is all so bad.
AgMarauder04
Simplebay
AG
just the trailer, too much CGI red spew all over. Snyder.... SNYDER.

it is worth noting though... i watched Man of Steel last week after not seeing it in a while. i changed my view a bit. It's not as bad as i first thought.

The fight in Kansas is decent, the zod fight is AWFUL (i thought this was great initially).
Michael Shannon is really great in that movie, and the first 15 minutes are nothing short of spectacular. When Zod gets to Earth is great. So Snyder really can nail some emotional beats, but man his overall focus is so just so off putting.

He is catering to the supernerds too much, with visuals. I don't think Larry Fong is as great as he and Zach think he is either, and a large part of the problem

Batman v Superman... is actually worse than i remember.
YouBet
AG
Simplebay said:

just the trailer, too much CGI red spew all over. Snyder.... SNYDER.

it is worth noting though... i watched Man of Steel last week after not seeing it in a while. i changed my view a bit. It's not as bad as i first thought.

The fight in Kansas is decent, the zod fight is AWFUL (i thought this was great initially).
Michael Shannon is really great in that movie, and the first 15 minutes are nothing short of spectacular. When Zod gets to Earth is great. So Snyder really can nail some emotional beats, but man his overall focus is so just so off putting.

He is catering to the supernerds too much, with visuals. I don't think Larry Fong is as great as he and Zach think he is either, and a large part of the problem

Batman v Superman... is actually worse than i remember.
Completely agree. I've seen Man of Steel several times and I enjoy it except for the final fight scene.

BvS is unwatchable now.
MooreTrucker
AG
Man, you people set your standards way to high.
rhutton125
AG
There have been 16 Marvel movies (17 next week), 4 DC movies, 3 Christopher Nolan Batmen, 4 old Superman films, about 10 Fox X-Men films, 5 precious Spidermen, 3 Fantastic Four films, etc. Netflix, CW, etc.

At this point, people have probably seen enough of the genre to have an opinion on good or bad. I no longer get a kick out or just seeing a character come to life on the big screen, or seeing people smash each other through buildings.

For me, there needs to be some technical prowess, or some kind of uniqueness to set it apart from the other 50 films. I don't think that's too high a standard.
Simplebay
AG
slighty above dogsh11t... right way too high of a standard
Flashdiaz
AG
the more I think about it the more I think B v S screwed up in particular with Lex Luthor. Lex is basically evil Bruce Wayne.... lots of money but uses his resources for evil and world dominance. Not even Marvel has had a good human supervillian. Hell, a story line could have been how Lex bankrupts Wayne Enterprises and forces Batman to actually be a detective without relying so much on technology.
FTACO97
AG
It's so freaking disappointing. When it comes to comic books, Batman is my #1 character hands down. For the movies, the 2 Tim Burton films were bearable and then the Dark Knight, but mainly because of Ledger's Joker. The rest have been very weak. It's so strange to me how DC/WB can't put good product on the screen when they own the most recognizable characters (Trinity - Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman).

DC needs to take a page from Marvel and appoint someone in a role like Feige. Either Geoff Johns or someone like him where they control the product and the storylines. And for the love of God, don't ever let Snyder near the films ever again.
YouBet
AG
FTACO97 said:

It's so freaking disappointing. When it comes to comic books, Batman is my #1 character hands down. For the movies, the 2 Tim Burton films were bearable and then the Dark Knight, but mainly because of Ledger's Joker. The rest have been very weak. It's so strange to me how DC/WB can't put good product on the screen when they own the most recognizable characters (Trinity - Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman).

DC needs to take a page from Marvel and appoint someone in a role like Feige. Either Geoff Johns or someone like him where they control the product and the storylines. And for the love of God, don't ever let Snyder near the films ever again.
I believe DC has and I think there was an article on here about this that went into gory detail about the behind the scenes sh^t show that is DC / WB. It's a very interesting article. The problem is DC already had stuff in mid-stream before they applied the Feige model and had to roll with it. So, some of the crap got grandfathered like BvS.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Not even Marvel has had a good human supervillian.
I would argue that Zemo (Cap-Civil War) was a fantastic villain. Not sure if he qualifies as a "supervillain" but he did engineer events that eventually tore apart the Avengers, far more than we can say of any other Marvel villains, human or not.
israeliag
AG
Is this the one?
http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/dc-wonder-woman-movie-strategy-universe.html

(It was on the DCCU thread)
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
FTACO97 said:

I loved Tim Burton's Batman. I was incredibly disappointed with his second movie, Batman Returns. There was nothing remotely interesting in the Penguin's character, he was just a disgusting creature, not even sure he was fully human, and not even Catwoman's hot presence could save it. After that the Batman movies flushed themselves down a toilet with Joel Schumacher, and having lost faith in them, I very nearly skipped Batman Begins. Glad I didn't. The Nolan Batman movies were the best Batman movies ever.

Regarding Superman, he is a difficult character. Gene Hackman was awesome as Lex Luthor, even Kevin Spacey was pretty good in the role in Superman Returns. But he needs a villain that can actually stand toe-to-toe with the Man of Steel. General Zod was a great villain in Man of Steel, and I for one enjoyed that movie quite well. Doomsday in BvS - initially I hated that. But that part of that movie has grown on me in subsequent viewings. Probably not because of Doomsday per se (probably has more to do with Wonder Woman's presence). What Superman needs is Darkseid. That's probably why I liked BvS as much as I did, because it seems to imply that Darkseid is coming (although I must admit to being disappointed in JL in that it doesn't appear Darkseid is in this one).

I generally don't think the Snyder DC movies are as horrible as many here do. Yeah, they certainly could be improved. And Wonder Woman's solo movie was really well done.

Simplebay
AG
Justice League coming in at the shortest runtime of the DCEU movies.

Here comes the dumpster fire. they are shortening to get butts in seats and remove some of the synderdrama no doubt
YouBet
AG
israeliag said:

Is this the one?

Yes!
YouBet
AG
Simplebay said:

Here comes the dumpster fire. they are shortening to get butts in seats and remove some of the synderdrama no doubt
Wow. Can't even imagine how much has been cut.
TCTTS
AG
Especially considering that it shot for an INSANE period of time. I don't know the exact dates off hand, but the shoot was so long that people were surprised to find out they were only shooting JL1 and not JL1 and 2 together. So to now see it come in with that short of a runtime is incredible. The original/alternate version of this movie has to be way different.
Quad Dog
AG
And don't forget they had to do reshoots. And are having to CGI out Superman's mustache in every one of the new shots.
MooreTrucker
AG
israeliag said:

Is this the one?

So Marvel is kicking ass with their "single universe" concept, so DC (who is struggling) is going the other direction and NOT connecting their movies.

Idiots.

The problem is not with one or multiple universes. The problem is a universe that's considered "brooding" and "grim and gritty". Hell, even Arrow isn't as dark and gloomy as the movies, much less the other TV products. Gotham is, but it's about Batman, so.....
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Especially considering that it shot for an INSANE period of time. I don't know the exact dates off hand, but the shoot was so long that people were surprised to find out they were only shooting JL1 and not JL1 and 2 together. So to now see it come in with that short of a runtime is incredible. The original/alternate version of this movie has to be way different.
I'd probably be accused of having way too optimistic an outlook over things like these movies, but damn this tidbit makes even me come down on the side of "awwwh f***k"
israeliag
AG
Did you read through the article? It's a long one, but a worthwhile read, and it explicitly addresses that, and that they are trying to right that:
Quote:

All of a sudden, you saw Johns doing interviews where he'd talk about how the DC mythology is built on "hope and optimism." Berg was on the same page. "We talk about four things," Berg says. "Heart, heroics, humanity, and humor."

Probably be too little too late. But who knows - maybe they are setting up for a multi-verse type of situation with an explicit story-based canonical reboot, ala Crisis on Infinite Earths or Rebirth (which I haven't read, but have read about).
MooreTrucker
AG
Yeah, I did read through ti all and saw that, but it also talked about how TPTB ignored a lot of that and minimized Johns influence and creative input so they still have what they've been putting out. And still keeping the TV and movie sides separate. And refusing to learn anything from the Marvel process.

AND DESTROYING MY ONE REALLY HOPE FOR A GOOD JUSTICE LEAGUE!!!!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Simplebay said:

Where have I heard this exact same scenario just recently....

Oh, yeah.
toucan82
Less movie means less for people to make fun of

Pretty smart
TCTTS
AG
Just saw a commercial for JL and there was a brief exchange between Bruce and The Flash that reminded me of the first time we ever saw that footage... 15 MONTHS AGO. At Comic-Con 2016. I still can't get over the fact that this movie has been advertised for that long. It's insane. It simultaneously feels like it came out months ago yet doesn't release for months to come. After this, at least we don't have to endure another DC movie for another 13 months, with Aquaman not hitting until December 2018.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looks like tickets are on sale. I just randomly went to Fandango and searched the IMAX theater in Manhattan, and saw there were showtimes available.

Nabbed literally the two middle/center seats for Saturday, 7:15 PM, IMAX 2D.
TCTTS
AG
Do we need to call the police? Is someone forcing you to do this?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.