*** JUSTICE LEAGUE ***

113,244 Views | 1009 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Brick Tamland
AgMarauder04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

That was hot garbage. The last Transformers had less CGI. That whole thing felt like Michael Bay, down to the rock music cover.

In fact, it feels a lot like this that made the rounds a few years ago:

http://filmmakeriq.com/2012/04/michael-bays-rejected-the-dark-knight-script/

Read that bit of comedy and tell me that WB/DC wouldn't buy that script today.

Holy.hell.
YouBet
AG
Lol. I want that script to get made. That is awesome.
AgMarauder04
AG
The descriptions of Rachel Dawes had me rolling.
jr15aggie
AG
Looks fun. Maybe I'll see this one in the theaters instead of redboxing it like I've done with a few other DC titles. Zero expectations though. I know the very basics of the main characters from my childhood so I'm sure I'll enjoy watching a modern mash-up of the whole thing.

It won't be good in several areas, but overall should be enjoyable to watch. But like the others it will be a one and done. The DC movies have zero re-watchability for me.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Here's something I don't get between the Marvel and DC movies:

The Avengers had a final battle with the Avengers taking on an army of generic Chitauri warriors. Okay. Lots of cannon fodder for them to smash.

Avengers: Age of Ultron had a final battle with the Avengers taking on an army of generic Ultron clones. Again, lots of cannon fodder for them to smash.

Justice League looks to have a final battle of the JL taking on an army of generic Para-Demons. I get it...lots of cannon fodder. And I'm even mentioning the climactic final battle in BvS where Supes, Batman and Wonder Woman took on Apocalypse.

What's the major difference between the two Marvel and two DC movies? Both of the Avengers climaxes took place in broad daylight where you could see everything clearly and it looked great, while both DC movies take place in the dead of night where everything looks green-screened, overly-CGI and very fake. Even the climax of Man of Steel took place on an overcast, grey sky day.

And I lay 100% of this on Snyder's "everything has to be dark and grim" style of filmmaking.

Now that I think about it, even Suicide Squad took place at night.

schmendeler
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Here's something I don't get between the Marvel and DC movies:

The Avengers had a final battle with the Avengers taking on an army of generic Chitauri warriors. Okay. Lots of cannon fodder for them to smash.

Avengers: Age of Ultron had a final battle with the Avengers taking on an army of generic Ultron clones. Again, lots of cannon fodder for them to smash.

Justice League looks to have a final battle of the JL taking on an army of generic Para-Demons. I get it...lots of cannon fodder. And I'm even mentioning the climactic final battle in BvS where Supes, Batman and Wonder Woman took on Apocalypse.

What's the major difference between the two Marvel and two DC movies? Both of the Avengers climaxes took place in broad daylight where you could see everything clearly and it looked great, while both DC movies take place in the dead of night where everything looks green-screened, overly-CGI and very fake. Even the climax of Man of Steel took place on an overcast, grey sky day.

And I lay 100% of this on Snyder's "everything has to be dark and grim" style of filmmaking.

Now that I think about it, even Suicide Squad took place at night.

batman operates at night
israeliag
AG
People love to b-tch about DC more than they actually dislike the movies.
TennAg
AggieLitigator said:

I liked the trailer but agree it's literally too dark.
Even snow covered mountains
fig96
AG
israeliag said:

Because people want to love these movies and we continue to get what we get.

I'm a huge Batman fan and he's yet to have been done right on the big screen (sorry Mr Nolan). These are iconic characters with literally decades of stories behind them, yet they continue to be turned into flat, uninteresting characters with no real sense of purpose and no engaging narrative.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
israeliag said:

People complain about the dark & grim of DC versus the light and fun of Marvel because it's true. There is no denying that huge difference in studio styles and philosophies. And we are b-tching about the movies because we want them to be good. And there are good things about the movies and there are horrible things about them. The sad part is, while they say they are listening to fans, we are still seeing the same mistakes seemingly being made.

Marvel makes raved-about films starring talking raccoons and sorcerers while DC is constantly shuffling their release schedule of solo films and their mega-budget team up film has gotten so-so reactions from fans. This is disconcerting to us fans.
MooreTrucker
AG
fig96 said:

israeliag said:

I'm a huge Batman fan and he's yet to have been done right on the big screen (sorry Mr Nolan). These are iconic characters with literally decades of stories behind them, yet they continue to be turned into flat, uninteresting characters with no real sense of purpose and no engaging narrative.

So what's missing in your opinion about Batman? I thought the Nolan films were generally regarded as "getting it right".
dave94
AG
I understand they're going for a certain darker tone with DC, and that's all well and good. But, visually it's all just so boring and you're right, all the final big battles just run together at this point.

ETA: I LOVE the fact that so much of the Marvel movies take place during broad daylight and around regular people. It really grounds things and makes it feel more part of the regular world, not to mention it raises the stakes. And they've looked pretty damn good as well, CGI and all.
rhutton125
AG
I don't really care that it's dark, but that it looks exactly like a Zack Snyder film would look. I know that's obvious, but what I mean is... style over substance, absurd physics, lots of super-leaps. That the scenery looks the same as it did for the Doomsday fight is secondary to that I don't find the action appealing at all.

Just my two cents, but I didn't find much of the action in BvS enjoyable at all. Warehouse fight and that's pretty much it. This action looks better but it's still Snyder.
fig96
AG
MooreTrucker said:

fig96 said:

israeliag said:

So what's missing in your opinion about Batman? I thought the Nolan films were generally regarded as "getting it right".
Primary thing is I felt like they pretty much ignored the World's Greatest Detective aspect. That's a huge part of his character and one that seemed rather glossed over, there were bits but we really just saw him letting someone else know he'd discovered something. I also expected to see more cool gadgets, but we never got him doing much interesting stuff with his utility belt.

I enjoyed the films, but I wish they'd gone smaller scale for Batman Begins and stuck to a Year One type storyline of Bruce returning to Gotham and taking on a corrupt Gotham city government. They touched on it, but there's more than enough there to flesh out an entire film.

That being said, they're by far the best thing DC/WB has done and are really good movies overall.
OnlyForNow
AG
As did most scenes in his other "super hero" movie (can' think of the name)
agracer
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

We ALL know Superman will be back and in this. It is sad that they are treating the audience as too stupid to acknowledge this.
You mean the part where they show Lois Lane looking over her shoulder....
AgMarauder04
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

We ALL know Superman will be back and in this. It is sad that they are treating the audience as too stupid to acknowledge this.
We also knew Luke would be in TFA, but they didn't show him either.
TCTTS
AG
Why? How?

CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
TCTTS said:

Why? How?

Just guessing here, but based on what we've seen so far Cyborgs cybernetics may be from or at least augmented by a Mother Box which is living computer tech from Apokolips. Overall villain is Darkseid, ruler of Apokolips.
TCTTS
AG
I get that, but when you have Affleck, Cavill, Momoa, and Gadot, all playing iconic characters, I'm just wondering why you'd chose to have the no-name actor/character be the "heart" of your story, narratively speaking. I don't mean to pre-judge, as he could somehow end up being great, but it just seems like another bad decision from WB/DC...
toucan82
I would say he's going to be the DC/WB Jar Jar but the rest isn't good either
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

I get that, but when you have Affleck, Cavill, Momoa, and Gadot, all playing iconic characters, I'm just wondering why you'd chose to have the no-name actor/character be the "heart" of your story, narratively speaking. I don't mean to pre-judge, as he could somehow end up being great, but it just seems like another bad decision from WB/DC...
Maybe because the others are so iconic, a lot of the story will revolve around Cyborg becoming Cyborg and all that. Like the JL - War movie.
TCTTS
AG
That's a good point. They're definitely going to have to devote a decent amount of time to setting him up, but at this point in the game, nothing about him seems all that interesting.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I had not even heard of Cyborg until the BvS movie.
rhutton125
AG
I think it's because his dad will probably be killed or something. Speculation, but it would help serve as the emotional motivation for the team, in a way.
TCTTS
AG
Same.
MooreTrucker
AG
Yeah, and I just watched War (and don't know about Cyborg from the comics) but it looks like they added stuff to his costuming/mechanics...like the faceplate extending across on demand rather than leaving the face exposed...just because the wanted to play with the CGI.
TajMaballer
AG
Just a general question for everyone on this thread:

How many of you know what Cyborg's real name was before/after this trailer? They say Aquaman's and Flash's, but don't drop Cyborg's. I thought it was interesting that they just described him instead of doing the same "Arthur Curry" or "Barry Allen" intro.
Flashdiaz
AG
TajMaballer said:

Just a general question for everyone on this thread:

How many of you know what Cyborg's real name was before/after this trailer? They say Aquaman's and Flash's, but don't drop Cyborg's. I thought it was interesting that they just described him instead of doing the same "Arthur Curry" or "Barry Allen" intro.
the only reason I know about Cyborg is because my kids watch Teen Titans Go. So if he's not like that, i'm going to be disappointed.
toucan82
I do but I'm a big comic geek
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

Why? How?

...and the hits just keep on comin'.
Flashdiaz
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

Why? How?

so Cyborg is going to be like Robocop 1, 2,3 and the reboot. Sounds forgettable... like most recent DC superhero movies.
MooreTrucker
AG
Flashdiaz said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

Why? How?

so Cyborg is going to be like Robocop 1, 2,3 and the reboot. Sounds forgettable... like most recent DC superhero movies.
Well yeah, but that's not the fault of the movie, right? That's just how the character is, part human part machine.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was just talking with a buddy of mine, and we both agree how glad we are that WB is learning from their mistakes and not giving away the whole damn movie in the trailers.

Can you imagine the scene in BvS where Wonder Woman is revealed for the first time, in costume, shield up, going up against Doomsday, WITHOUT having seen it in the trailer?

Would've been an epic moment. It was still awesome, but it could've been that much more awesome.
scubasteve304
AG
I'm with you Fig. The Nolan movies are very good movies. I like them. TDK is an excellent crime movie. But I've always had a minor gripe that Nolan overlooked the world's greatest detective aspect. The closest he comes is backtracking a fingerprint from a bullet with a supercomputer. Not saying Bale's batman wasn't smart, and I get that Nolan was doing a more realistic bats and didnt wanna venture into Sherlock territory but I missed a bit of the galaxy level intellect.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.