Academy Awards

70,890 Views | 626 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Tanya 93
TexasAggies06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

And one of the sweetest moments of the night, to me, was the look on Ben's face watching Casey speak and watching him all the way offstage. The look of pride and love and tears on his face was really one of brotherly love to me, Like "Holy hell I'm watching my little brother win a frickin OSCAR!"

I believe it's pronounced "OSCAH"
corleoneAg99
AG
So after reading a recap it looks like they both placated last years outrage AND this years outrage.

Fun!
CorpsAg11
AG
How to win best picture:
1) Make a movie about how important filmmaking is or how difficult life as a filmmaker is (Birdman, Argo, The Artist)
2) Have your main character be afflicted by as many of the following as possible:
-gay
-transgender
-black
-mentally or physically disabled
(also a surefire way to win best actor)
3) Find an evil white southern person to play the villain
4) Make the movie as politically charged as possible b/c there is nothing braver than boldly standing by what you believe in a room full of people who agree with you...
VanZandt92
CorpsAg11 said:

How to win best picture:
1) Make a movie about how important filmmaking is or how difficult life as a filmmaker is (Birdman, Argo, The Artist)
2) Have your main character be afflicted by as many of the following as possible:
-gay
-transgender
-black
-mentally or physically disabled
(also a surefire way to win best actor)
3) Find an evil white southern person to play the villain
4) Make the movie as politically charged as possible b/c there is nothing braver than boldly standing by what you believe in a room full of people who agree with you...
Are there a lot of them who have evil white southerners as villains? I don't know. I'm asking.

You know I've seen Oh Brother Where Art Thou way too many times but, in retrospect, it probably deserved Best Picture or something similar. Damn it was great. And the southern villains in it were pretty laughable, but sort of realistic
Ag Since 83
AG
txswag06 said:

http://ew.com/awards/2017/02/27/oscars-in-memoriam-mistake/
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
NOTE - didn't see the post above mine. I had not refreshed in a while. My bad.

Apparently it was not the only gaffe......

Bobcat06
AG
oragator
They left Shandling and Florence Henderson off too. Both were bigger on TV but still...
VanZandt92
Zombie Jon Snow said:

NOTE - didn't see the post above mine. I had not refreshed in a while. My bad.

Apparently it was not the only gaffe......

For real?
VanZandt92
THey really should put the "Best Picture" font MUCH larger
CoolAggie
AG
I blame Matt Damon. He finally got his revenge on Kimmel.
Flashdiaz
AG
CoolAggie said:

I bet there's a skit already in the works that has Damon switching the envelopes and laughing like a madman.
MooreTrucker
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Saw that thread that just got deleted and it seems like this thread saddened TCTTS.

What thread got deleted? Why?
agnatgas
AG
PWC changing name to Price Waterhouse Bloopers
VanZandt92
agnatgas said:

The Ticket this morning said it was Coopers Lybrand. Ouch.
ce1994
AG
We have been blaming Adam for a mistake Eve made. Why not blame Beatty for this?
BQ78
AG
Talking about Hollywood on the Entertainment board is wrong, who'd a thunk it?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
agnatgas said:

Picked Wrong Card.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-27/pwc-apologizes-for-oscar-mix-up-after-giving-out-wrong-envelope
fig96
AG
BQ78 said:

Talking about Hollywood on the Entertainment board is wrong, who'd a thunk it?
Talking about Hollywood is fine, but please keep the Politics board in it's own contained cesspool.
fig96
AG
MooreTrucker said:

fig96 said:

You didn't read the posts immediately before you wrote this, did you?
per the timestamp, they pretty much posted at the same time.
I realize, more noting the irony than anything else
The Collective
AG
I started an Academy award thread on the politics board yesterday for this very reason.

Edit: Well, and for my own entertainment.
VanZandt92
Whats with all this post deleting? Nothing offensive on most of it.
staticdoor
AG
ce1994 said:

We have been blaming Adam for a mistake Eve made. Why not blame Beatty for this?
What?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
MooreTrucker said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Saw that thread that just got deleted and it seems like this thread saddened TCTTS.

What thread got deleted? Why?
There was a thread started early this morning poking fun at Hollywood liberals, conservatives and TCTTS. TCTTS commented that this board has gotten weird and he's going to take a break from it. The thread didn't last long.

If you're reading this TCTTS, don't be gone long because March is going to be crazy and we need you:

We've got Logan in a few days, followed by Kong, Beauty & the Beast, Trainspotting 2, Power Rangers and Ghost in the Shell.
VanZandt92
Entertainment news will be much **** tier without TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Again? Why do you idiots keep running off TCTTS?
VanZandt92
I'll bump Hobbit threads if you all don't leave TCTTS be.
Bruce Almighty
AG
It was Teacher Ag and a pretty dumb thread.
Gigem314
AG
Flashdiaz said:

CoolAggie said:

I bet there's a skit already in the works that has Damon switching the envelopes and laughing like a madman.
Needs to happen.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Again? Why do you idiots keep running off TCTTS?
Hardly the case. This was far tamer in contrast to when he posted his love note to the entertainment board and the politics board regulars came over and gave him a really hard time. Though the number of people white knighting to defend him last night and this morning/today is borderline obsessive IMO. There was the thread last night that apparently got deleted which sarcastically made that point mocking all parties involved (which really, I'm not sure why that was deleted), and then VanZandt's today as well.

I get it, TCTTS provides some interesting aspect on the inner workings of the industry. However, this was an Oscars thread and politics were bound to be brought into it as has been done in the past. I think the expectation that it wouldn't be discussed is somewhat unreasonable since Hollywood can't seemingly separate their own politics from their work. For example, the comments that Gary Whitta and Chris Weitz (spelling?) essentially forcing a connection with Rogue One and the election at the time.
fig96
AG
If you want to start a thread about Hollywood politics then fine, go for it.

But piling on one poster for something that wasn't actually said (which he clarified then you continued to pound the point home) is just dumb. It was made pretty clear by most involved in this discussion that we didn't want to talk politics.

TCTTS may have different views than I do on some things politically, but I don't care. He brings an insight to this board that makes for a lot more interesting discussion.
jabberwalkie09
AG
fig96 said:

If you want to start a thread about Hollywood politics then fine, go for it.

But piling on one poster for something that wasn't actually said (which he clarified then you continued to pound the point home) is just dumb. It was made pretty clear by most involved in this discussion that we didn't want to talk politics.

TCTTS may have different views than I do on some things politically, but I don't care. He brings an insight to this board that makes for a lot more interesting discussion.
That's been done before about various films before. I don't see a reason to start a thread about politics in Hollywood/film/tv when we vastly know the politics of those involved and it won't get much discussion, even more so if it pertains to the topic at hand. And no, TC doesn't get a pass on it because he focuses on the motive for movies and is knowledgeable of the industry.

TC was hardly being piled on, and I was driving the point home to make the point that the Oscars aren't about entertainment as much as they are about Hollywood being themselves, of which their politics aren't a mutually exclusive topic.

Sorry I apparently offended your delicate sensibilities.
The Collective
AG
VanZandt92 said:

I'll bump Hobbit threads if you all don't leave TCTTS be.

Awesome.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I'm sure Brian will like that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.