Academy Awards

70,818 Views | 626 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Tanya 93
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
israeliag said:

Great now I'm going to have one of those nightmares where I realize I've been enrolled in classes all year and haven't attend one class.
Yeah I hate that one....what is that?? Supposedly it's subconsciously telling you that you are unprepared for something. Never seems to be directly related to actual life though for me.

Mine always has me realizing I have the final and haven't gone to one class...then I go and they've moved the test too.

Wake up in a panic every time.
Bruce Almighty
AG
israeliag said:

Great now I'm going to have one of those nightmares where I realize I've been enrolled in classes all year and haven't attend one class.

I still have those dreams as well. I also have the I'm waiting on every table in the restaurant dream.
staticdoor
AG
I do too and I have been out of school since 1999
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
sphinx said:

I do too and I have been out of school since 1999

'89 here....it never goes away apparently.
corleoneAg99
AG
Have the initial ratings from last night been discussed here yet?

Multiple sources reporting it's looking like the worst ratings since 2008.

Yikes.

Maybe the final numbers later this week won't be so bad?
Liquid Wrench
"The dream" never goes away. Everyone has it.

I also have dreams where I'm moving back to CS to start school, but I'm my age now and all the other kids are normal college aged and I don't know where anything is.
VanZandt92
corleoneAg99 said:

Yikes.

Well I'm going back to watch it, so theres that.
VanZandt92
Zemira said:

What happened to your 24 break you were taking lol.
Hell I caught a ban for posting The Onion on Politics board. Forget those hosers.
corleoneAg99
AG
VanZandt92 said:

corleoneAg99 said:

Yikes.

Well I'm going back to watch it, so theres that.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Hosted by Jimmy Kimmel for the first time, the 2017 Oscars are down 4% in viewership and 13% among adults 18-49 from what the 88th Academy Awards ended up snagging in its final numbers last year. Like the metered market numbers of early today, that equals a nine-year viewership low for AMPAS' annual ceremony. In fact, the 2017 Oscars were the third-least-watched of the 21st century.
http://deadline.com/2017/02/oscars-ratings-2017-down-best-picture-mistake-jimmy-kimmel-abc-1202009034/
Chipotlemonger
AG
So I know the common theme that viewership may be down because of not wanting to see politicizing and get talked down to, but it's also been cited how the Oscars have always been like that.

I think the real issues are:

1. It's too long for the youth to sit down and watch and really care for it and pay attention to it, they can just see the results/highlights on Twitter
2. While the Oscars may have always had a political aspect to them, with the advent of both 24 hour tv news and constant online news coverage of politics and the world, people just want a break

Anyone else have good ideas of why viewership is down? Maybe the awards themselves are losing validity/significance because too many movies that the general public doesn't see or care about get awards.
VanZandt92
4 hours. 4 freaking hours of that crap.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I don't need to be preached at for 4 hours straight
I'll become strict southern baptism if I want that.
I just want to see who the academy thinks is the best at their craft without the political bull**** of feeling like certain groups need standing ovations just because.
3rdGen2015
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

So I know the common theme that viewership may be down because of not wanting to see politicizing and get talked down to, but it's also been cited how the Oscars have always been like that.

1. It's too long for the youth to sit down and watch and really care for it and pay attention to it, they can just see the results/highlights on Twitter
2. While the Oscars may have always had a political aspect to them, with the advent of both 24 hour tv news and constant online news coverage of politics and the world, people just want a break

Anyone else have good ideas of why viewership is down? Maybe the awards themselves are losing validity/significance because too many movies that the general public doesn't see or care about get awards.

Most people at work that I tried to talk to about it hadn't heard of the majority of the movies. That certainly doesn't help.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea I'm thinking that may be the largest issue actually. The awards have gotten a little out there in what movies they choose.
Liquid Wrench
The choice of movies this year was certainly a factor. Political fatigue may have been more of a factor this year than others, especially after #OscarsSoWhite last year and Streep's rant at the Globes.

It's just so easy now to look up the winners and find pics of them tiddy-showing dresses without sitting through 4 hours of preaching and self-congratulation.

*I flipped back and forth like a lot of yall, but it's pretty far from must-see-TV.

Ironically, I was watching for a while because I didn't think anything else good was on and realized I had missed The Third Man on TCM.
mazag08
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Leaving politics out.. I just don't really enjoy most of the movies nominated. My favorite movies are sci Fi, action, and clever dark comedy. Those don't get any love from the awards crowd. Maybe I should spend more time watching dramas that touch on social issues.. and I don't necessarily dislike them.. it's just not something I'm going to dedicate a Sunday night to.

Plus, I literally could not be convinced that anything that has to do with makeup, costumes, some guys behind a camera who I don't know and don't care to know exist, etc. should deserve as much air time as they do accepting awards. I'm glad they are recognized, and I know they do incredible work, but the average person wants to watch the movies they love coupled with the people they see and know get awards.. nobody outside of Hollywood and cinema fanatics care about the people behind the scenes.

I know it sounds harsh, but my goal was to give a glimpse into the average potential viewer.
astros4545
AG
Another casuality of streaming services

No program is free from the terror of Netflix/Amazon/Hulu
The Debt
People watch sports/movies to escape reality. Espn and Hollywood are politicizing consistently and people are tuning out.

People are putting their nickel in the hat to see a performance to be entertained, not to be told their values are "racism, misogyny, etc".
TXCityAggie
AG
I guess I'm in the minority, but I thought this was the best group of Best Picture nominees in a while. I saw all except Fences and enjoyed every single one.
fig96
AG
mazag08 said:

Leaving politics out.. I just don't really enjoy most of the movies nominated. My favorite movies are sci Fi, action, and clever dark comedy. Those don't get any love from the awards crowd. Maybe I should spend more time watching dramas that touch on social issues.. and I don't necessarily dislike them.. it's just not something I'm going to dedicate a Sunday night to.

Plus, I literally could not be convinced that anything that has to do with makeup, costumes, some guys behind a camera who I don't know and don't care to know exist, etc. should deserve as much air time as they do accepting awards. I'm glad they are recognized, and I know they do incredible work, but the average person wants to watch the movies they love coupled with the people they see and know get awards.. nobody outside of Hollywood and cinema fanatics care about the people behind the scenes.

I know it sounds harsh, but my goal was to give a glimpse into the average potential viewer.
While this year's nominees might not have been that appealing in that respect, that's really the exception this year more than the rule.

In the past 5 or so years these have been nominated for Best Picture:

- Mad Max
- The Revenant
- The Martian
- American Sniper
- Wolf of Wall Street
- Gravity
- Argo
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Django Unchained
- Life of Pi

Not all quite in the same category, but those are some really entertaining films with pretty wide appeal. And that's not including others a bit further back like Inception, 127 Hours, The Blind Side, District 9, Avatar, Inglorious Basterds, and No Country For Old Men.
Flashdiaz
AG
fig96 said:

mazag08 said:

While this year's nominees might not have been that appealing in that respect, that's really the exception this year more than the rule.

In the past 5 or so these have been nominated for Best Picture:

- Mad Max
- The Revenant
- The Martian
- American Sniper
- Wolf of Wall Street
- Gravity
- Argo
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Django Unchained
- Life of Pi

Not all quite in the same category, but those are some really entertaining films with pretty wide appeal. And that's not including others a bit further back like Inception, 127 Hours, The Blind Side, District 9, Avatar, Inglorious Basterds, and No Country For Old Men.

good point.

I think it is the preachiness... at least for me. I like actors for the work they do in their medium, but I couldn't give two ****s about their political opinions. The best acceptance speeches are when the actors are genuinely excited to win and not an excuse to voice their political thoughts to a room full of people that think exactly just like them.
canadiaggie
AG
It seems like in the 2000s, the Oscars were giving more Best Pictures to big action blockbusters or thrillers (Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, Slumdog Millionaire, No Country FOM, etc.).

However, my favorite Best Picture since 2010 is easily Spotlight. That movie was something.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Flashdiaz said:

fig96 said:

mazag08 said:

- Mad Max
- The Revenant
- The Martian
- American Sniper
- Wolf of Wall Street
- Gravity
- Argo
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Django Unchained
- Life of Pi

good point.

I think it is the preachiness... at least for me. I like actors for the work they do in their medium, but I couldn't give two ****s about their political opinions. The best acceptance speeches are when the actors are genuinely excited to win and not an excuse to voice their political thoughts to a room full of people that think exactly just like them.
And actually Meryl's speech was quite the exception not the rule - the vast majority said nothing political at all. That type of thing from the Golden Globes gets headlines - of course from the biased media and talk shows slathering over one of their own grandstanding - but most never even go down that road. Most are highly personal.

This year the only really political one was the Iranian....and thats highly ironic to call out the US. lol.

meh...i don't get bent out of shape by what they say because......it doesn't matter in the least. Seriously what does it do.....nothing. Makes them feel better about themselves. Don't care.

Actually Viola Davis got called out a lot this year for saying acting was "the only profession that celebrates what it means to live a life".....ummm yeah what about doctors, teachers, nurses, humanitarians, volunteers, aid workers, etc.

that wasn't so much political as just self-indulgent and naive.

fig96
AG
Heh, when she said that I remember saying to my wife out loud, "I feel like there's a few other disciplines that might take issue with that comment."
Flashdiaz
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Flashdiaz said:

fig96 said:

mazag08 said:

- Mad Max
- The Revenant
- The Martian
- American Sniper
- Wolf of Wall Street
- Gravity
- Argo
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Django Unchained
- Life of Pi

good point.

And actually Meryl's speech was quite the exception not the rule - the vast majority said nothing political at all. That type of thing from the Golden Globes gets headlines - of course from the biased media and talk shows slathering over one of their own grandstanding - but most never even go down that road. Most are highly personal.

This year the only really political one was the Iranian....and thats highly ironic to call out the US. lol.

meh...i don't get bent out of shape by what they say because......it doesn't matter in the least. Seriously what does it do.....nothing. Makes them feel better about themselves. Don't care.

Actually Viola Davis got called out a lot this year for saying acting was "the only profession that celebrates what it means to live a life".....ummm yeah what about doctors, teachers, nurses, humanitarians, volunteers, aid workers, etc.

that wasn't so much political as just self-indulgent and naive.

there were other comments... Gael Garcia Bernal (who I think is a good actor) talking about walls. perhaps it was the perception that people were going to be preachy that led to people not even tuning in.

And I liked Viala Davis speech for the most part. Didn't care for the 'only profession' comment because as you stated, it's naive and self-indulgent.
Fenrir
Flashdiaz said:

fig96 said:

mazag08 said:

- Mad Max
- The Revenant
- The Martian
- American Sniper
- Wolf of Wall Street
- Gravity
- Argo
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Django Unchained
- Life of Pi

good point.

My favorite acceptance speech was when the winner for short animated film several years back thanked his pencil and also the production company (Robot Communications) by saying "domo arigato, mr roboto".
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

There's a reason why the Academy raised the number of Best Picture candidates: to include more commercial movies that people have actually seen/heard about/would root for.

Give credit to The Dark Knight. There was a vociferous uproar from people who really felt this should be a BP nominee, but the Academy only had five slots and weren't going to "waste one" on a comic book film. Right after that, they woke up and realized that THOSE are the kinds of films that draw in viewers, so they raised the number of BP nominees.

I knew Mad Max: Fury Road didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of actually winning, but that the Academy actually put that up for Best Picture is incredible.

This year had almost zero films that were hits that people actually saw. And that's reflected in the ratings. Fewer people cared whether Moonlight could upset La La Land because most people saw neither.
TCTTS
AG
La La Land has made $341 MILLION worldwide. Nearly every person I know - both in California and Texas - has seen that movie.
nai06
AG
TCTTS said:

La La Land has made $341 MILLION worldwide. Nearly every person I know - both in California and Texas - has seen that movie.
right but domestically its made about $140 million and it came out in early december and in its biggest weekend it made less than $20 million. Get out made $30 million in one weekend and the lego batman movie is nearly even after 17ish days.

Its popular, but nowhere near as popular as some other movies
TCTTS
AG
Who cares about weekend numbers? Get Out won't come close to $140M domestic.
Jim01
AG
I'd say $140 million is pretty damn popular. Not to mention the fact that the soundtrack has been in the top 10 albums for a couple months.
nai06
AG
TCTTS said:

Who cares about weekend numbers? Get Out won't come close to $140M domestic.
okay so look at totals then. Lego Batman is going to easily pass it in domestic box office. Im not saying it isnt a good movie or that its not worthy of the praise. It just isnt as popular as some of the other movies that came out last year. Which is why a lot of people might not care. Look at the movies nominated. None are in the top 10 for domestic box office. You have to drop all the way to Hidden Figures at number 18 to find one of this years nominees
nai06
AG
Jim01 said:

I'd say $140 million is pretty damn popular. Not to mention the fact that the soundtrack has been in the top 10 albums for a couple months.
its really not though. The top 10 movies from last year were all nearly double that or more.
fig96
AG
nai06 said:

Jim01 said:

its really not though. The top 10 movies from last year were all nearly double that or more.
Lemme guess, all animated films and superhero movies, maybe one other scifi blockbuster?

For what it is Lala Land has done pretty fantastic box office.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.