KENOBI: A STAR WARS STORY

66,412 Views | 444 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Buck O Five
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I mean, that's kind of the plot of Rogue One. So I think anything having to do with the Death Star should probably be left alone. I really want this to feel like it's own, relatively contained thing.

Oh wow, hadn't heard about rogue one. Love your ideas for this story so far!
Dro07
AG
What's that mandalorian princess that he fell in love with? Could be a love interest he seeks out with the empire knowing that he could make contact with her? We are still thinking that Obi is Rey's grandad right?
Dro07
AG
Ya bro it involves the people that stole the plans for the Death Star that they allude to in the new hope. Gonna be SWEETAH!!!
TCTTS
AG
Touching on the whole water thing again real quick, I'm convinced there's something there. Somehow playing off of and utilizing the idea of moister farms, importing/exporting/withholding water, and tying it all to Jabba in some way is something that could absolutely be incorporated. But yeah, by no means should it be the main thrust of the overall conflict.

Instead, how could something along those lines be used as an inciting incident for something bigger and more far reaching? I definitely don't want to get all political and make this an allegory for oil and the middle east or anything like that, but is there something in that general dynamic to pull from? Can the fight over / control of water simply serve as an excuse for two tribes to engage in a bigger, more spiritual/religious-type war over land? Something that can thematically resonate with Obi-Wan and his plight / own examination of the Force? I feel like, if Obi-Wan's going to be doing a deep dive into the Force, really studying it in his exile, and potentially struggling with his devotion to it in any way, maybe that struggle is also literally being played out and exemplified to a degree among two warring tribes?

Think about something like Batman Begins. Every single scene, and every single event Bruce is put through in that movie is a literal and figurative thematic examination of fear. Ra's al Ghul, the Scarecrow, etc, are all simply thematic ways of playing upon and challenging the fear Bruce is dealing with. And he, in turn, uses that fear to fight his enemies. Nolan's movie is absolutely brilliant in that regard. So is there a way to find some kind of thematically resonate examination of whatever it Obi-Wan is struggling with, and have it literally and figuratively play out in the narrative - among the tribes - in somewhat the same way?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, but I don't want to have to tie it to something not everyone has seen. Again, this should be relatively self-contained, without having to rely upon the audience having seen an episode of The Clone Wars.
TCTTS
AG
Everything you could possibly want to know about Rogue One...

http://collider.com/rogue-one-star-wars
TCTTS
AG
I think I just had a potentially awesome idea for the teaser trailer...

Think along the lines of the first Man of Steel teaser trailer. Similar vibe, with only music and a voice over. Here, however, all we hear is the voice of Qui-Gon reciting the Jedi Code...

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

... except each line is juxtaposed wth seemingly contradictory imagery. It's these huge, sweeping, 70mm shots of Obi-Wan and his plight on Tatooine... feeling emotion, the passion of love, caught in the chaos of warring factions, seeing death, etc. All alluding to this idea that keeping his oath and previous way of life, as hard as he may try, is a huge burden on him, alone, with no kind of support group or kindred spirits.

I feel like core idea of the movie is about the Obi-Wan of the prequels coming to terms with his new life on Tatooine, and kind of losing himself a bit in the process. He's still the same Obi-Wan we know and love, as tried and true as ever, but I feel like he still needs to go through some sh*t in order to become the Obi-Wan of the OT. If anything, in order to reaffirm who he always was.

Anyway, I may be way off, but I think a teaser trailer along those lines could be pretty powerful, if done right, and would really speak to the heart of the movie.
3 William 56
AG
quote:
Yeah, Owen and Beru are literally in the final shot together of Episode III, so that probably wouldn't work.

Doesn't mean obi-wan can't still fall in love with her causing conflict
Bunkhouse96
AG
What if Obi-wan falls in love with Owens sister, and he blames Obi-wan for her death.
Malachi Constant
AG
Love that.
Capt_Crunch 14
AG
I might have glossed over it and I know you want to avoid the series material but the Clone Wars series really elaborates on the Hutts and their criminal activities. There's a Hutt Council and factions within it, you could use those divisions as a set up the potential conflict. One side wanting to work with the empire, Jabba and his side wanting to keep the planet out of the conflict for his own personal gain, something like that. Obi Wan is really familiar with the Hutts in the series so that relationship would already be established for you. Also would be an interesting twist to have Jabba play the anti hero.

Regardless I hope this movie happens.
AliasMan02
AG
I think that regardless of what the overall story is, the theme needs to be Obi-Wan constantly trying to answer the question, "Am I still a Jedi? Does that life still hold any meaning for me?"

I think the whole of the film is Kenobi telling himself over and over again that no, he is not. He reinforces that by falling in love, not intervening when he could help others, and most importantly, not using his lightsaber. Qui Gon is the opposing voice in this, basically acting as Kenobi's conscience, encouraging him to stay the course.

Ultimately the situation arises, involving protecting Luke's identity, when he decides that he can't put aside his existence and he re-embraces it.
Bunkhouse96
AG
Going with the Western/Am I still a Jedi theme, it could be like the "retired gunfighter" who takes a job on the moister farm to start a new life (While also keeping an eye on Luke). Tatooine seems like the kind of place that people don't ask a lot of question about strangers, and it would not seen out of place of him to take a job at Skywalker Farms. He falls in love with Owens sister, gives up the life of a Jedi, enters the life of a simple farmer, and things seem to be going great. Enter the bad guy who want Skywalker farms, the hand of Owens sister, and has ties to the Hutts. This would bring Obi-wan reluctantly into the conflict, and back to his Jedi roots.
VikingNik
AG
Obviously the water angle doesn't get to mad max fury road levels as we know from episode four that life still goes on/is supported. It could simply be the catalyst to forcing obi wan to use some force powers. Jabba notices it, (can he resist the mind trick and obi is unaware?) And then he blackmails him into doing something else to keep that info quiet. I dunno.
Ag Since 83
AG
I fear a water war has potential to illicit a similar reaction as trade disputes in Episode I.

Also, I agree that he should at least check in on Leia at some point...maybe that's the beginning of the movie, and while there he crosses paths with the villain who tracks him back to Tatooine One of the things that makes no sense about the prequels to me is that Lucas had a chance to actually feature Alderaan, which I think the fanbase would have been very interested to see, and all we got was one shot at the very end with Jimmy Smits, wife, and baby Leia against a backdrop of some mountains
AliasMan02
AG
Kenobi and Organa communicating could prove to be the clue to the antagonist that either Kenobi is a Jedi, or that he is hiding Luke from the Empire.
LeonardSkinner
Just to throw this out there. If you go with the "someone's hunting for Kenobi" angle, could that someone be Boba Fett?

He could disintegrate someone.
Prophet00
AG
I can't remember if they announced a Boba Fett Anthology, but it would be pretty sweet to have him as the villain. He is a bounty hunter, after all, and has that Western vibe.

Also, the timing wouldn't affect it, since you're talking about this being years away, but the whole "water war" aspect is pretty integral to the new series "The Expanse", which is gaining a lot of press.
LeonardSkinner
Bounty hunter with a grudge against Jedi, even.
Prophet00
AG
Great minds think alike!
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I think that regardless of what the overall story is, the theme needs to be Obi-Wan constantly trying to answer the question, "Am I still a Jedi? Does that life still hold any meaning for me?"

I think the whole of the film is Kenobi telling himself over and over again that no, he is not. He reinforces that by falling in love, not intervening when he could help others, and most importantly, not using his lightsaber. Qui Gon is the opposing voice in this, basically acting as Kenobi's conscience, encouraging him to stay the course.

Ultimately the situation arises, involving protecting Luke's identity, when he decides that he can't put aside his existence and he re-embraces it.
I agree with this, very strongly. I think having Kenobi questioning whether or not to continue life a Jedi would be something that he would have to deal with after the Jedi Order fell in ROTS. Blue parachute for AliasMan02.
Ag Since 83
AG
I just remembered this issue of Marvel's new comic series, which features an Obi-Wan adventure. I don't remember the plot all that much, but I'll reread the comic tonight and post some thoughts (or if anyone else owns it and can beat me to it, feel free)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_7:_From_the_Journals_of_Old_Ben_Kenobi:_The_Last_of_His_Breed
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sounds pretty cool.

Can you imagine the loneliness he must feel, having to live through the extinction of the Jedi order? And being literally one of two Jedi left in the entire galaxy?

Then there's the inner conflict of whether or not to keep true to the Jedi code, and the tremendous restraint to not involve himself in the Rebellion until the time is right (Luke comes of age).

There definitely needs to be a moment with Qui Gon speaking to Obi Wan and trying to keep him on the right path.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
There definitely needs to be a moment with Qui Gon speaking to Obi Wan and trying to keep him on the right path.
Maybe, but how bout something like this for an ending:

Kenobi reflects on his recent adventure on Tatooine [insert plot details here] after returned home. Resolving to finally commit to the path realizing that one day the Sith's rule will come to an end, Kenobi sits on his dusty meditation mat.

Kenobi: Master, I am ready.
Qui-Gon's voice: Then let us finish your training.

Cue credits.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Kenobi should walk a planet called Earf like Kane on Kung Fu. Then settle on tattoine at the end.
rhutton125
AG
I came here to suggest the Boba Fett angle as well! Looks like I was a little too late.

It would make sense for a young Fett to be part of, if not the leader of, a band of mercenaries that were looking for the rumored Son of Skywalker. If they find him, they could get paid handsomely and be in the good graces of the Empire.

THAT SAID, is the fact that Vader is Anakin Skywalker all that well known? Obviously Obi-wan could mislead a young farm boy on Tatooine by saying "oh Anakin was betrayed and killed," but "son of Skywalker" kind of implies that A) Anakin Skywalker is alive, B) he's Darth Vader, C) he has a son that is still out there somewhere, and D) Vader is aware and is looking for him. I'm not sure any of those things are known outside of maybe the Emperor, and I'm not sure Vader is aware that he has kids either. At least until ESB.

But anyway, back to Boba Fett. It would make sense, because he's so iconic (even if he's kinda spare and gets a Wilhelm Scream), and while the movie may end with him giving up the search, Jabba the Hutt could be impressed with him and offer him some steady work. That could be cool.

Also consider that Obi-Wan fought Jango in Episode 2. I like to pretend the prequels don't exist, but this offers some small continuation or nod to the previous films. Maybe Easter Egg is more like it.

Also allows for more Boba Fett without retconning his survival from the Sarlac Pit.
Gigem314
AG
I would love to see Ewan McGregor return as Obi-Wan. That was one thing the prequels absolutely nailed.
Bob09
AG
So I would think if you wanted to do something along the lines of a western and include water, want to get Owen upset with Kenobi, and tie in Jabba this might be an idea(this is an idea wherein all the events are on Tatooine):

Cliegg Lars after losing his wife makes a deal with the Hutts, maybe for protection from Raiders or possibly Jabba decideds to start taxing the farm or else the raiders will come back (what Jabba was behind the first attack).

Cliegg dies and Owen inherits the farm, he learns of his fathers dealings with Jabba, he struggles with the idea of paying Jabba and not being able to do anything, in comes Kenobi with Luke and Owen then thinks maybe Kenobi can help with the Jabba problem. (or Owen doesn't know about this and Jabba's goons show up one day and take Cliegg away for missing a payment, Owen asks Kenobi for help but he refuses and Cliegg dies) Kenobi refuses and it ticks Owen off, then something happens and Kenobi is forced to get involved exposing himself. Then Kenobi is hunted by Jabba.

My other idea (if you wanted to stay with the idea that someone off planet is looking for either Kenobi or Vader's offspring) would be that someone in the outer rim (maybe Snope) (this is why Snope is after Skywalkers, ie Vaders progeny) who is a strong dark side user senses or sees a vision of Vader's offspring, or one of them, and sends an apprentice of sorts, or bounty hunters in search of Vader's offspring. Hunt ensues

You possibly could tie both together? After Kenobi exposes himself one of the outer rim dark side user (maybe Snope) bounty hunters or apprentice learns of Kenobi and goes after him, thinking maybe this potential Jedi knows of Vader's offspring or is Vader's offspring (they don't know age or timing of offspring exactly).

Add in Kenobi saving a prisoner in Jabba's palace (girl), or one of the bounty hunters is a woman. (maybe the woman is a plant? fake prisoner type deal or the trope of she had to do it because Jabba would kill her family, but shes fallen for Kenobi.. idk)

Anyways just some ideas. I think tied together would make for a good western and would tie into potentially VII and VIII as well as VI.. although I couldn't think of how to add a train heist... it's really not a great western without a train..

AliasMan02
AG
Nobody but the Emperor, Kenobi, and Yoda know Vader's true identity. And Ashoka thinks she knows. Tarkin suspects.

Many people think he's some sort of droid and that the Emperor has multiple copies of him running around.
hurleyag
AG
Need to have a scene where Obi won protects Luke while he is out targeting womp rats. Maybe sand people are about the attack and Obi won had to interfer and Luke never realises he is in danger.
Quad Dog
AG
The Casablanca pitches are interesting. You could replace most characters in that with Star Wars. Obi wan = Rick; love interest = Ilsa; Uncle Owen = Louis. Not sure who would play the Lazlo part, the part that makes Ilsa (the love interest) leave. But in this movie Ilsa leaves Tatooine pregnant, and Rick(Obi-Wan) and Louis(Owen) don't start a beautiful friendship, but split on bad terms because Obi-Wan put Owen's family in danger by using the force somehow.

I also though of the big bad being Boba Fett too, but it might work better if it someone new. Boba Fett is chasing a bounty on Obi-Wan placed by Vader, and is using a spy network for info. Someone in that spy network is who tracks down Obi-Wan and discovers Luke on Tatooine. Obi-Wan has to stop the spy from getting the info off of Tatooine. The only part of the info that gets off planet is a name, Skywalker.

There are a lot of really good Star Wars comic books going on right now that happen after A New Hope that you could steal ideas from, like this one of Vader finding out his son is alive. http://comicnewbies.com/2015/06/04/darth-vader-learns-luke-is-his-son/

hurleyag
AG
I personally don't like Boba Fett as the villain. I don't see him as the type of bounty hunter that would give up on a job. We know he is alive and well at the end so the only way to end the movie, in my opinion, is the have who ever puts out the bounty to die and not be able to pay.
VikingNik
AG
Or it could be a "Where's Perry?" /Phineas&Ferb kind of thing where everyone thinks he is Old Ben doing nothing but sit around all day while he in fact is dealing with Jabba/Water/Jedi reveal extortion/ off planet shenanigans to keep them quiet/ checking in on happenings on Alderaan (maybe meets his girl there)/ saving Luke from Sand People without getting word out to the Empire that he is hiding there. It could be exhausting living his life of "doing nothing".
Texas Ag 15
AG
Really like that idea! Qui-Gon could be a huge piece to this thing. Would be great to see Obi Wan's reaction to seeing his former master. Also, I think something that would be cool to see is the struggle of Obi Wan accepting Anikan becoming a Sith. He trained him for years thinking the whole time he could be the chosen one, only to find out he is trying to destroy the Jedi. Would be a really interesting concept to see the struggle of acceptance.
Ag Since 83
AG
If you want to use the idea that the villain learns about a Skywalker kid, it shouldn't be Boba Fett. In the comics, he goes to Tatooine after IV, learns the name of the pilot who blew up the Death Star, and reports it to Vader. There's no indication he would have been on Tatooine because of that name beforehand.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.