KENOBI: A STAR WARS STORY

65,751 Views | 444 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for the reminder of that. To me, that's probably the main reason why Boba wouldn't be able to work in this film.
AliasMan02
AG
Things we should see in this film:

1. A pair of T-16s, presumably Biggs and Luke out flying. Bonus points if they don't actually identify them. Let it be a nod to the fans.

2. A Krayt dragon

3. Want a bounty hunter subplot? Why not involve Boushh in a support role? Leia impersonated him in Jedi. How about an older Aurra Sing in a crime lord type role? Have any primary bounty hunter be a new character, I think. You need someone that doesn't show up in later films so there is the possibility of that character dying.

4. Some background noise about pod racing. Not a plot point, but an acknowledgement that it is going on.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
4. Some background noise about pod racing. Not a plot point, but an acknowledgement that it is going on.
AKA, Tusken target practice.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If this movie somehow gets made, and I see some of our ideas playing out on the screen, I may just cry.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
quote:
If this movie somehow gets made, and I see some of our ideas playing out on the screen, I may just cry.

Same here. An end credit thanking TexAgs and our handles would be cool too!
Quad Dog
AG
I keep kicking around the idea of the antagonist ending up being Obi-wan's love interest, and I can't come to a good switch without making her seem like a pathetic character. So maybe move the love interest to be a neighbor of Owen's. Obi-wan and her fall in love, but she has to go into hiding/is killed, which is why Owen hates Obi-wan.
I think your McGuffin could be the info that Luke is on Tatooine, similar to the map to Luke in Force Awakens.
Plot:
Vader puts a bounty on Obi-Wan, Boba Fett and others get on it. Boba Fett talks to various spys for info. One of whom(the antagonist) is on Mustafar or with Organa and picks up Obi-Wan's trail. Cut to montage of Obi-Wan being bored and having minor adventures. He monitors Owen's place and we see him tricking Storm Troopers away, scaring off Tuscan Raiders, meeting a neighbor, etc. Cut in shots of the antagonist tracking down Obi-Wan in bars and space ports until they get to Mos Eisley Cantina. Could be cool to show the antagonist talking to the guy that Obi-Wan cuts the arm off of (explaining that odd outburst). Antagonist finds Obi-Wan, but discover's Luke at the same time, realizes Luke info is worth more and has to get off planet. Obi-wan has to stop antagonist, but needs the neighbor's help. Antagonist tries to use the Hutt's influence to get off planet, but Jabba realizes the Luke info is more valuable. And he wants to keep it hidden so the Empire doesn't come onto his planet and take his power. (Originally this is where I though Obi-wan could rescue the antagonist from Hutts, and they fall in love, but that just seems like a pathetic female part.) Obi-wan rescues antagonist from the Hutts and uses the force to wipe the Luke knowledge from their mind. Obi-Wan and neighbor fall in love during the rescue, but he is conflicted, and ends up giving up the name Obi-Wan for Ben to be with her and their child. He gives up monitoring Owen's for a while until some Storm Troopers get to close. Ben picks up the light saber again and dispatches the Storm Troopers, but his wife dies in the fight. Owen sees it and tells Ben to leave them alone, because he knows death follows Obi-Wan. Ben has to hide another child (his own) and continue monitoring Owen's from afar. Antagonist eventually reports back to Boba Fett, but can't remember anything except the name Skywalker.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
What if Obi-wan falls in love with Owens sister, and he blames Obi-wan for her death.

quote:
Going with the Western/Am I still a Jedi theme, it could be like the "retired gunfighter" who takes a job on the moister farm to start a new life (While also keeping an eye on Luke). Tatooine seems like the kind of place that people don't ask a lot of question about strangers, and it would not seen out of place of him to take a job at Skywalker Farms. He falls in love with Owens sister, gives up the life of a Jedi, enters the life of a simple farmer, and things seem to be going great. Enter the bad guy who want Skywalker farms, the hand of Owens sister, and has ties to the Hutts. This would bring Obi-wan reluctantly into the conflict, and back to his Jedi roots.

I'd really like to keep as much out of the family, so to speak, as possible. I'm afraid it would just feel way too claustrophobic if Obi-Wan is seeing or around anyone in the Lars family, other than Owen. That, and having Obi-Wan on the Lars farm would mean he'd have to interact directly with Luke, and I think that's a bad idea. A young Luke needs to more of a character we see just a couple times briefly from a distance.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I might have glossed over it and I know you want to avoid the series material but the Clone Wars series really elaborates on the Hutts and their criminal activities. There's a Hutt Council and factions within it, you could use those divisions as a set up the potential conflict. One side wanting to work with the empire, Jabba and his side wanting to keep the planet out of the conflict for his own personal gain, something like that. Obi Wan is really familiar with the Hutts in the series so that relationship would already be established for you. Also would be an interesting twist to have Jabba play the anti hero.

Regardless I hope this movie happens.
That's good to know. Can definitely play of that dynamic.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I think that regardless of what the overall story is, the theme needs to be Obi-Wan constantly trying to answer the question, "Am I still a Jedi? Does that life still hold any meaning for me?"

I think the whole of the film is Kenobi telling himself over and over again that no, he is not. He reinforces that by falling in love, not intervening when he could help others, and most importantly, not using his lightsaber. Qui Gon is the opposing voice in this, basically acting as Kenobi's conscience, encouraging him to stay the course.

Ultimately the situation arises, involving protecting Luke's identity, when he decides that he can't put aside his existence and he re-embraces it.
This is exactly what I've been trying to get across, you just said way more eloquently than I did. All in on this route.
FTACO97
AG
I'm no writer or story thinker so I'm a bit out of my element, but wanted to add a couple of thoughts I have:

- It hasn't been mentioned so far, and I don't remember the exact words Owen used in IV, but I thought it was something along the lines that Obi Wan wanted to train Luke and take him off on some adventure but Owen wouldn't allow it.....or maybe that was Owen talking about Obi Wan and Anakin....
But it could still be a story feature that Obi Wan approaches Owen about starting to train Luke in the ways of the force and Owen forbids it because of what happened to his step-brother.

- The person who has put out the search for Obi Wan/Luke could be the Emperor. He wants Obi Wan dead (and the location of Yoda so he can kill him as well) and he wants to get his hands on Luke to bring him to the dark side (as powerful as the Emperor is, I could believe he has felt that Luke exists). Vader could be none the wiser of this happening.

- The conflict that Obi Wan gets drawn into - think it would be better to be something to do with the Empire and make it much more important than some local Tatooine tribal dispute (avoid going toward the trade dispute junk from the prequels). I agree that whomever he deals with would definitely need to die so the information would not make it back to Emperor/Vader.

- Really like the ideas of a Qui Gon ghost that helps Obi Wan along the way. Would be great to see Liam Neeson really play that character under better writing/direction.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I fear a water war has potential to illicit a similar reaction as trade disputes in Episode I.

Also, I agree that he should at least check in on Leia at some point...maybe that's the beginning of the movie, and while there he crosses paths with the villain who tracks him back to Tatooine One of the things that makes no sense about the prequels to me is that Lucas had a chance to actually feature Alderaan, which I think the fanbase would have been very interested to see, and all we got was one shot at the very end with Jimmy Smits, wife, and baby Leia against a backdrop of some mountains
I've been debating the Leia angle. On one hand, it seems "unfair" that Obi-Wan would only be directly watching after one of the siblings. That, and, it would be nice to establish that Leia at least met Obi-Wan again as a child, so she has more of a personal connection to him when she reaches out to him in A New Hope. But on the other hand, I feel like Bail Organa and co have her safety on lockdown. She seems like she's in a much safer situation, especially considering the fact that as far as Vader's concerned, Padme only had one kid. He wouldn't even know there's a second one out there. So... yeah, I don't know what to do. But my gut says to keep this particular story contained to one planet.
Say Chowdah
AG
I just want you to answer what the hell caused Obi Wan, Owen and Beru to age so quickly but somehow it did not affect Luke, Biggs and Han?
TCTTS
AG
Huh?
TCTTS
AG
Also, just to put a pin in all the Boba Fett talk (even though that already seems to have happened), again, even if there was a way to make it work, I think it would feel way too claustrophobic. I don't want to see the same old villains we've seen before. It really needs to be someone completely new.
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:
Huh?
Obi Wan was roughly 33 years old when Luke was born. He was geriatric when he met the then 18 - 20 year old Luke in the original Star Wars.

Likewise, Owen and Beru are a young couple when the infant nephew is handed to them. Like Obi Wan, they are both senior citizens.

They aged 35 or so years in Luke's 18 to 20 years.

Biggs and Han appear to have aged normally (but we don't know that for certain as Han was a star traveler.)
TCTTS
AG
quote:
The Casablanca pitches are interesting. You could replace most characters in that with Star Wars. Obi wan = Rick; love interest = Ilsa; Uncle Owen = Louis. Not sure who would play the Lazlo part, the part that makes Ilsa (the love interest) leave. But in this movie Ilsa leaves Tatooine pregnant, and Rick(Obi-Wan) and Louis(Owen) don't start a beautiful friendship, but split on bad terms because Obi-Wan put Owen's family in danger by using the force somehow.

I also though of the big bad being Boba Fett too, but it might work better if it someone new. Boba Fett is chasing a bounty on Obi-Wan placed by Vader, and is using a spy network for info. Someone in that spy network is who tracks down Obi-Wan and discovers Luke on Tatooine. Obi-Wan has to stop the spy from getting the info off of Tatooine. The only part of the info that gets off planet is a name, Skywalker.

There are a lot of really good Star Wars comic books going on right now that happen after A New Hope that you could steal ideas from, like this one of Vader finding out his son is alive. http://comicnewbies.com/2015/06/04/darth-vader-learns-luke-is-his-son/
That comic strip is actually a huge help, and confirms my initial theory - that Vader did, in fact, know his son was out there, and that he could have very well, even secretly, commissioned someone to track him down. Do we have a general idea/timeline for when that exact scene took place?
Murder Hornet
AG
quote:
Going with the Western/Am I still a Jedi theme, it could be like the "retired gunfighter" who takes a job on the moister farm to start a new life (While also keeping an eye on Luke). Tatooine seems like the kind of place that people don't ask a lot of question about strangers, and it would not seen out of place of him to take a job at Skywalker Farms. He falls in love with Owens sister, gives up the life of a Jedi, enters the life of a simple farmer, and things seem to be going great. Enter the bad guy who want Skywalker farms, the hand of Owens sister, and has ties to the Hutts. This would bring Obi-wan reluctantly into the conflict, and back to his Jedi roots.
I like this one, it sounds like Unforgiven but Will Munny = Obi-Wan and the woman/love interest takes the place of Morgan Freeman
Ag Since 83
AG
It is between IV and V
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
So I guess I'm going to be Debbie Downer on this thread, but the real thing to consider is that Obi-Wan is not going to do ANYTHING that would jeopardize his ability to protect Luke. So getting involved in a "water war" or mixing it up with the Hutts because he's a stand-up guy just isn't in the cards, and I think falling in love would compromise that as well, and he just wouldn't let that emotional attachment develop. If he gets killed doing something that isn't related to Luke's safety, he fails the mandate set forth by Yoda. WTF would he risk that for?

If Boba Fett were to hunt Obi-Wan Kenobi, the conclusion would have to be that neither of them wins the fight. Do they fight to a stalemate and say, "Hey, nice job, bloke, let's call it a draw and head down to Chalumar's for a Tatooine Sunrise? And of by the way, do you mind not telling Vader and Palps that I'm living here, and watching over a kid named Skywalker?"

DannyDuberstein
AG
The UV rays on Tattoine make people appear to age faster.
TCTTS
AG
Overall, I think we've got Obi-Wan's inner conflict pretty much set. I feel really, really good about that angle. Outside of his plight, a TON of great ideas have been mentioned so far as well. There are so many great ideas and pieces to play with. That said, I think the key to making it all gel is this tribal conflict he gets involved in. And maybe it's not even tribal - I just know that it needs to be a grand and sweeping conflict of some sort and potentially take Obi-Wan away from his home, Mos Eisley, Luke, etc. It needs to be a journey of sorts. The whole water thing can kick that off in a way, and involve the Hutts, but I'd really like to discuss / brainstorm who these warring factions could be, or what's being fought over, and how Obi-Wan gets involved. Again, read my post on page three about it potentially being a spiritual/religious war of some sort, one that thematically plays into Obi-Wan's struggle with the Force. That may not be the way to go, but I think it's a good place to start discussing...
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
Huh?
Obi Wan was roughly 33 years old when Luke was born. He was geriatric when he met the then 18 - 20 year old Luke in the original Star Wars.

Likewise, Owen and Beru are a young couple when the infant nephew is handed to them. Like Obi Wan, they are both senior citizens.

They aged 35 or so years in Luke's 18 to 20 years.

Biggs and Han appear to have aged normally (but we don't know that for certain as Han was a star traveler.)

Kenobi is 57 when he leaves Tatooine with Luke.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
So I guess I'm going to be Debbie Downer on this thread, but the real thing to consider is that Obi-Wan is not going to do ANYTHING that would jeopardize his ability to protect Luke. So getting involved in a "water war" or mixing it up with the Hutts because he's a stand-up guy just isn't in the cards, and I think falling in love would compromise that as well, and he just wouldn't let that emotional attachment develop. If he gets killed doing something that isn't related to Luke's safety, he fails the mandate set forth by Yoda. WTF would he risk that for?

If Boba Fett were to hunt Obi-Wan Kenobi, the conclusion would have to be that neither of them wins the fight. Do they fight to a stalemate and say, "Hey, nice job, bloke, let's call it a draw and head down to Chalumar's for a Tatooine Sunrise? And of by the way, do you mind not telling Vader and Palps that I'm living here, and watching over a kid named Skywalker?"
I see exactly what you're saying, but maybe I'm not expressing my basic idea clear enough, or it needs to be tweaked slightly, but the general conceit would be that whoever is hunting down Obi-Wan (or Luke) becomes so entangled with whatever tribal/planetary conflict is going on, that Obi-Wan has no choice but to intervene. Where involving himself is required to ultimately protect Luke. Does that make sense? He's not making a choice that jeopardizes his ability to watch Luke. Involving himself is what he must do to ultimately protect Luke.

That said, Obi-Wan would kind of sort of potentially lose his way a bit. This is a man who went from the center of the galaxy, going on adventure after adventure after adventure, to someone who is essentially alone, in exile, in the middle of no where. As noble and just and steadfast as he is, it would be a challenge for him to stay true to his oath. And that's what I want to examine with this movie.
powerbelly
AG

quote:
just wouldn't let that emotional attachment develop. If he gets killed doing something that isn't related to Luke's safety, he fails the mandate set forth by Yoda. WTF would he risk that for?
TCTTS
AG
Again, see above.
powerbelly
AG
We posted at the same time, but I still think he would not get into any kind of romantic situation.

We saw how he already has resisted in the Clone Wars.

I have always viewed his time on Tatooine as a hermit monk who is archiving jedi knowledge and watching over Luke.
TCTTS
AG
And he would still be that person in the end. But I think, sometimes, in order to stay true to yourself and your cause, doubt is essential, at some point. Your resolve needs to be renewed in some way, and that's what the events of this movie would do.
FTACO97
AG
It's just a small line in IV but there could be something to be made of Obi Wan essentially saying I "used" to be a Jedi Knight.

- Broke the code?
- Lost hope?
TCTTS
AG
I want to examine this idea of essentially being the last of your kind - the last of a religion or whatever. Like, say you were the last Christian on earth. How hard would it be to keep praying everyday, keep believing, if your entire religion, your entire support system, all your friends and places of fellowship had been completely wiped out. You may not ever stop believing in God, but you might - just might - start laxing a bit on prayer, and find it more and more difficult to witness and be an example for God, etc. What's it like to try and stay true to your cause, your beliefs, if there's literally no one else alive to share those same beliefs? That's so incredibly interesting to me, and something I absolutely think Obi-Wan would struggle with.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
It's just a small line in IV but there could be something to be made of Obi Wan essentially saying I "used" to be a Jedi Knight.

- Broke the code?
- Lost hope?

Exactly. And I mentioned that in my initial post.
Jeff99
With regards to the "water" issue, the plot made me think a lot of "Dune." In Dune, the Spacing Guild prevented the use of weather satellites on Dune because they were being bought off. Could you simply say that Jabba or other criminal interests have an "interest" in keeping Tattooine so inhospitable to settlement?

I think water smuggling has a lot of promise for being the fulcrum of conflict in this story.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
With regards to the "water" issue, the plot made me think a lot of "Dune." In Dune, the Spacing Guild prevented the use of weather satellites on Dune because they were being bought off. Could you simply say that Jabba or other criminal interests have an "interest" in keeping Tattooine so inhospitable to settlement?

I think water smuggling has a lot of promise for being the fulcrum of conflict in this story.
I really, really like that general idea. A fulcrum is great way to put it. It's just this inciting incident that leads to a much, much bigger - and far more personal - conflict. We just need to figure out what that conflict is.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
That said, Obi-Wan would kind of sort of potentially lose his way a bit. This is a man who went from the center of the galaxy, going on adventure after adventure after adventure, to someone who is essentially alone, in exile, in the middle of no where. As noble and just and steadfast as he is, it would be a challenge for him to stay true to his oath. And that's what I want to examine with this movie.
Precisely.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Even though it's in SW: Legends now, you guys should definitely read up on this so you don't run into that plot line, which was terrific in the comics.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Duel_on_Tatooine_%28Imperial_Period%29
TCTTS
AG
To put it another way... imagine the Jedi Order as a fire that has raged for centuries, now reduced to a single candle. This movie is that final, thunderous gusts of wind, trying desperately to burn that candle out. And because it's a single candle, it may very well get reduced to a simmering wick... but not extinguished. It finds its spark again, and eventually, is able to light a second candle that ultimately carries the flame.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.