KENOBI: A STAR WARS STORY

65,741 Views | 444 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
I feel like the chick should be involved in the Empire, or a bounty hunter, or something along those lines, imo.

Falling in love with a Tatooine native feels a little too Dances With Wolves, Avatar-y to me.
What if she's a rebel fighter? Pilot? (Rey was wearing a helmet in Ep 7)
She could have tie ins with Leia (and thus how she knows about Obi wan) later down the line.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Being a rebel could be good.

My idea was an imperial spy posing as a rebel.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
Being a rebel could be good.

My idea was an imperial spy posing as a rebel.
Yea, I think if she was a rebel fighter pilot that would blend nicely into Rey's natural piloting skills. Could easily frame an adventure story with Obi wan/rebel woman and how after they get intimate she feels the pull of duty to return back to her cause against the empire. As she ages she meets an adult Princess Leia in the rebellion and she tells her of Obi Wan on Tatooine which would lead nicely into Ep. 4
TCTTS
AG
I agree that a Tatooine native could feel a little too familiar. The Rebel pilot idea is really interesting, and would also give her a reason to leave in the end as well. My only question is why would she be on Tatooine? And do we risk having too many people and too much going on on a planet that's supposed to be this wasteland on the outer rim that no of importance ever visits? That said, the plot idea is the first thing that has really made me perk up, in regards the love interest. We just need an organic reason to involve her through the duration of the story.
TCTTS
AG
Oooohhh yeah. That's some good stuff, right there (was writing my post as you were typing yours).
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I feel like the chick should be involved in the Empire, or a bounty hunter, or something along those lines, imo.

Falling in love with a Tatooine native feels a little too Dances With Wolves, Avatar-y to me.
What if the chick is a bounty hunter that Kenobi mistakenly ends up thinking he is saving, but in reality she was trying to provoke someone so she could capture the person?

I don't think that we should make her an operative of the Empire. That seems to really open up the door of "Well why didn't this chick spill the beans about Kenobi?" After they go their separate ways.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
I agree that a Tatooine native could feel a little too familiar. The Rebel pilot idea is really interesting, and would also give her a reason to leave in the end as well. My only question is why would she be on Tatooine? And do we risk having too many people and too much going on on a planet that's supposed to be this wasteland on the outer rim that no of importance ever visits? That said, the plot idea is the first thing that has made me perk up, in regards the love interest. We just need an organic reason to involve her through the duration of the story,
Well, we already know from the OT that Tatooine supplies volunteers to the Rebellion. (Uncle Owen mentions in Ep4 how he will allow luke to sign up after 1 more farming season) So we could easily establish her as a tatooine native. No reason to complicate the story.

EDIT: Changed Lars to Uncle Owen
TCTTS
AG
I think I'm all in on this Rebel pilot idea. Basically, the female Poe.
TCTTS
AG
Yes! One great idea after the other. You're on a roll. A Tatooine native who joined the Rebellion. Perfect. Now we just have to figure out why she's come back home...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quad Dog
AG
How dark do you want to go? We know Jabba has slave dancers. What if her sister or something gets abducted into the Hutt s*x slave trade.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's weird, I thought the exact same thing but decided not to post it.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
Yes! One great idea after the other. You're on a roll. A Tatooine native who joined the Rebellion. Perfect. Now we just have to figure out why she's come back home...
That's a good question. Maybe a furlow? Family troubles?

I'm still excited about how it ends and stuck on this:

She (rebel pilot/love interest) feels a strong obligation to return to the frontline of the rebellion. She pleads Obi Wan to join her, but he refuses knowing his duty is to stay on Tatooine but he can't tell her why.

He pleads for her to stay with him, but she can't stand the thought of sitting on the sidelines. Tatooine has nothing to offer her.

Regretfully they separate to fullfill their sense of duties, knowing it will be the last time they see each other.
TCTTS
AG

quote:
How dark do you want to go? We know Jabba has slave dancers. What if her sister or something gets abducted into the Hutt s*x slave trade.

quote:

Not opposed to that at all, nor do I think it's too dark. It would go nicely with Obi-Wan's same general struggle too. This woman basically left the Rebellion to save a family member. Which fight is more important? Maybe the point is that neither character's choices are ultimately wrong. Obi-Wan ultimately chooses to stay and fulfill what he thinks is a more important duty, while this woman chose to fulfill hers (saving her sister - before returning to the Rebellion). I really like that.

That said, I feel like the sister needs to be caught up more in the overall tribal conflict, rather than a sex slave. Or, she's a sex slave in the tribal conflict, sold into the conflict by Jabba. Something along those lines. Either way, the love interest needs to be "called" into he same general plight as Obi-Wan, even if it's another aspect of the same side.
TCTTS
AG
Basically exactly what I was thinking. This angle - and that ending - feels so right.
TCTTS
AG
quote:

YES.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:

quote:

quote:

Not opposed to that at all, nor do I think it's too dark. It would go nicely with Obi-Wan's same general struggle too. This woman basically left the Rebellion to save a family member. Which fight is more important? Maybe the point is that neither character's choices are ultimately wrong. Obi-Wan ultimately chooses to stay and fulfill what he thinks is a more important duty, while this woman chose to fulfill hers (saving her sister - before returning to the Rebellion). I really like that.

That said, I feel like the sister needs to be caught up more in the overall tribal conflict, rather than a sex slave. Or, she's a sex slave in the tribal conflict, sold into the conflict by Jabba. Something along those lines. Either way, the love interest needs to be "called" into he same general plight as Obi-Wan, even if it's another aspect of the same side.
That's not a bad start. And I agree that it needs to sweep Obi Wan somehow into the conflict. But it can't be known right away that he's a jedi. That could be the 3rd act reveal. He discards his hermit clothes and ignites his lightsabre. Huge payoff and people will go nuts.
Ag Since 83
AG
The talk of Obi-Wan's struggling with whether or not to be a Jedi brought to mind Elrond saying "become who were born to be"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hence why there NEEDS to be a scene of Obi Wan in the cantina, sitting in the shadows in the corner, looking very ominous.

Maybe even smoking DEATH STICKS?!
Ag Since 83
AG
You need to go home and rethink your life.
Quad Dog
AG
We might be going down the wrong path here. We have to get this woman to Tatooine to meet Obi-Wan, then off of it to leave Obi-Wan, then to Jakku (a similar, but different desert planet) to have Rei, then off of Jakku to die and never return. And invent a reason for her to not tell Obi-Wan about the baby at all. Sounds a little too much to me.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
We might be going down the wrong path here. We have to get this woman to Tatooine to meet Obi-Wan, then off of it to leave Obi-Wan, then to Jakku (a similar, but different desert planet) to have Rei, then off of Jakku to die and never return. And invent a reason for her to not tell Obi-Wan about the baby at all. Sounds a little too much to me.
No, Rey is Obi Wans granddaughter.

I think it would be nice to tie in Obi Wans Daughter to meet Luke Skywalker and they have Rey.

Summary: Rebel pilot boinks Obi Wan. Unknowingly leaves Tatooine pregnant with lil Obi Wan. Lil Obi Wan grows up and meets Luke Skywalker offscreen to create Rey.
Quad Dog
AG
I think you just proved my point.
M.C. Swag
AG
? What's so hard about that?

The point of the movie isn't to introduce Rey. It's to tell the story of Obi Wan with the added bonus of giving Reys parentage some background.
AliasMan02
AG
A couple of timeline/continuity notes on the last flurry of posts:

1. There is no Alliance to Restore the Republic during the time we've been discussing. Unclear when exactly that forms, but it is sometime after 5 BBY.

2. Starting around 11 BBY is when the first organized rebel factions began to emerge. Everything prior to that was very scattered and did not interlink at all.

If the female lead is a rebel pilot of sorts, that's doable, but they are very few and far between.

Wouldn't this be a great opportunity to have an Alderaanian character? And maybe get to really see Alderran for a scene or two?
powerbelly
AG
I hope Rey is not related to either Luke or Obi-Wan.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

It's almost certain that she is a Skywalker.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
Well in that case it doesn't matter what happens to Obi wans love interest, or if there is even one at all. The love interest leaving is only key if Rey is indeed a Kenobi. That's the angle I'm working on.
powerbelly
AG
I actually think they led us that direct to intentionally and that will not be what is revealed.

I could be wrong, but that is my hope.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I actually think they led us that direct to intentionally and that will not be what is revealed.

I could be wrong, but that is my hope.

The new trilogy and all future saga trilogies will be about the Skywalkers. Unless they plan to redeem Kylo after he murdered his father and have him to go on to make Force babies, there has to be another Skywalker.
OnlyForNow
AG
Agree
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
No, Rey is Obi Wans granddaughter.

I think it would be nice to tie in Obi Wans Daughter to meet Luke Skywalker and they have Rey.

Summary: Rebel pilot boinks Obi Wan. Unknowingly leaves Tatooine pregnant with lil Obi Wan. Lil Obi Wan grows up and meets Luke Skywalker offscreen to create Rey.

Exactly. And again, think of the pregnancy thing as merely an afterthought. The idea is that in the incredibly, ridiculously off chance that this script is somehow acquired by Lucasfilm - AND Rey is eventually revealed to be Obi-Wan's granddaughter - we at least have a plot point that can accommodate that; something that can possibly be expanded upon after the fact. But if she's not, no worries. Then Obi-Wan simply had a love interest, they consummated it, and he may or may not have a kid or grandkid somewhere out there in the galaxy. Don't get hung up on this as a major plot point or anything. In the script that I'm potentially writing, we may not even learn that the love interest is pregnant. But if the script somehow sells, and they tell me, "Hey, guess what... Rey is, in fact, Kenobi's granddaughter" - great. We'll then do a quick little rewrite of the end and expand upon the fact that Obi-Wan slept with this woman, and hint in some way that that kid will grow up to give birth to Rey. It's as simple as that.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
A couple of timeline/continuity notes on the last flurry of posts:

1. There is no Alliance to Restore the Republic during the time we've been discussing. Unclear when exactly that forms, but it is sometime after 5 BBY.

2. Starting around 11 BBY is when the first organized rebel factions began to emerge. Everything prior to that was very scattered and did not interlink at all.

If the female lead is a rebel pilot of sorts, that's doable, but they are very few and far between.

Wouldn't this be a great opportunity to have an Alderaanian character? And maybe get to really see Alderran for a scene or two?

That's actually better, I think. Say we set this 11years after Episode III. Obi-Wan could actually learn from this pilot / love interest that a rebellion has quietly started. That could be so cool, and all the more reason and pull for her to want him to join her in the end. This little upstart rebellion could sure use someone like him, etc. Heartbreakingly, he turns her down, knowing he'll eventually join in his own way, when the time is right...
Ag Since 83
AG
I really like that idea. A conflict between acting now with an upstart Rebellion vs. staying out of it because you have to make sure the boy is ready when the time comes
TCTTS
AG
Btw, if you would have told me yesterday that this thread would have over 200 replies less than 24 hours after it started, and that we'd have a legitimately chill-inducing movie this far along, I wouldn't have believed you. So stoked with what we've come up with so far, in such a short amount of time. Still, there's A LOT left to figure out...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.