KENOBI: A STAR WARS STORY

64,650 Views | 444 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Honestly, my main worry at this point is that Lucasfilm is already developing a Kenobi movie. Since creating this thread, there have been a quite a few articles saying Lucasfilm is developing either a single Kenobi anthology movie or a Kenobi trilogy. That said, they all read like complete rumor, with absolutely no sourcing. So, I don't know what to do. Again, I don't even have the time to devote to this at the moment, but we'll see. If and when I do, we'll see if there have been any more updates/rumors on that front and cross that bridge when we get there.
TCTTS
AG
Like clockwork, it sounds like something is definitely in the works now...

http://collider.com/star-wars-ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-spinoff
OnlyForNow
AG
That smug basterd is stealing our ideas!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Love that Ewan is game. No chance it doesn't happen.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, this means I probably won't be pursuing this since Lucasfilm almost assuredly will, if they haven't already, find a writer and develop a story on their own.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Just FYI, this means I probably won't be pursuing this since Lucasfilm almost assuredly will, if they haven't already, find a writer and develop a story on their own.

Psh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
In fact, it's not outside the realm of possibility that this project is already in active development and they're waiting for Celebration to announce it.

Celebration is happening the weekend before SDCC this year, btw. So expect big announcements, trailers, etc.
OnlyForNow
AG
Him saying, "I don't know if I'm at liberty to discuss it" and his general beaming enthusiasm about it tells me they have talked to him a lot about it and they already have some story board type (broad??) ideas about where they want to go.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Like clockwork, it sounds like something is definitely in the works now...

http://collider.com/star-wars-ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-spinoff

Lets get MW03 to start drafting our Class Action Suit for a Producer's credit
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Celebration is happening the weekend before SDCC this year, btw. So expect big announcements, trailers, etc.
So you're guaranteeing news and a trailer for R1 then?
TCTTS
AG
Ha, how hilarious would that be? If anything, it'll be fun to see how close we were to what they end up going with. Not that they'll ever see this thread or anything, but it'll be cool to follow nonetheless.

I legitimately, for a fact, know that one of my ideas for a scene was used for Transformers 2, and I have proof, but absolutely no leg to stand on legally, since it involves characters the studio already owns. I imagine it'd be much the same in this instance. They could "steal" any idea they wanted from this thread and it wouldn't matter.
wangus12
AG
You wouldn't be willing to share which scene it was so that I can judge you harshly for it not being Megan Fox naked somehow
Sex Panther
AG

quote:
I legitimately, for a fact, know that one of my ideas for a scene was used for Transformers 2, and I have proof, but absolutely no leg to stand on legally, since it involves characters the studio already owns. I imagine it'd be much the same in this instance. They could "steal" any idea they wanted from this thread and it wouldn't matter.

I probably wouldn't brag about that...
TCTTS
AG
Ha, it's the aircraft character scene, where the whole ship/fleet is decimated by the Decepticons' arrival. It's a long, long story, but yeah, it's that one.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, that's why, in the seven years since that movie hit theaters, you haven't heard me talk about it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Beat me to it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So how exactly did they take your idea? Were you involved in writing the script?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
So how exactly did they take your idea? Were you involved in writing the script?

He and a buddy wrote a treatment for a Transformers movie that got back to the studio, or something. Right?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, let me finish my lunch and I'll give the Cliffs-notes version.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You mean TCTTS is to blame for that movie?

And you have the gall to criticize BvS?

My God man...

TCTTS
AG
Ha, I'll post our treatment and you can judge for yourself. Give me a bit...
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Um so "KENOBI: A STAR WARS STORY" is going to have the tagline of "from a writer of Transformer 2. " Lets rethink this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
From the creator of "The Projection List"
hunter2012
AG
TCTTS you should send them some ideas of what this thread has. If it's already in the works they might want to incorporate something. Who knows this could get you(and by extension us) lassoed into Star Wars.
TCTTS
AG
There's really no legit way to just send Lucasfilm ideas, even if through official channels It was going to be a massive endeavor just to get a script over there, even though I think I ultimately could have.
TCTTS
AG
Ok... so, the short(er) version of the story is that I was writing a spec script with a creative exec at Kurtzman/Orci, the guys who wrote the first Transformers movie. And one of my best friends is Michael Bay's former assistant, and he was an aspiring writer as well. We had both grown up on Transformers and enjoyed the first movie for the most part, despite its dumber aspects. My buddy also knew that Bay had always wanted to make a movie that involved Route 66 in some way, and really capture the Americana of it all (which we eventually incorporated). And I knew, from my writing partner at K/O that K/O were currently starting to bounce around ideas for the sequel (this was a month or two after the first one had come out), but didn't know if they wanted to actually write it or not. So, that got me thinking that my buddy and I were in the "perfect" position to come up with a pitch. We knew Bay's sensibilities, and knew we could (probably) get a treatment to both him and K/O. I also had a an idea that I was pretty stoked on, and so, in our immense navet, we started writing. (And just FYI, the creative exec at K/O couldn't write it with me since he worked for the guys and didn't want to tread on their turf, so to speak.)

Anyway, it took us a couple of months, in our spare time, and we were actually super stoked with what we eventually came up with. But, again, back to the navet thing, we had no idea that even though we knew people at both companies, they couldn't read the treatment unless we were repped by an agency (any and all material submitted to any studio or production company has to be officially solicited, or else they run the risk of getting sued left and right). And at the time, neither of us had agents, of course, or else they would have called us idiots and warned not to do what we were doing.

And so that's when we "leaked" the treatment online.

If any of you were around at the time - fall 2007- TexAgs was even complicit in this whole scheme. That's a whole other, complicated story, but the point is, we leaked it in such a way that the treatment absolutely blew up online. Everyone thought it was the real deal and every site was running stories about it. People were even selling copies on eBay, no joke. Point is, Bay eventually admitted publicly that he read it, I found out from my other writing partner that K/O read it, and my buddy and I eventually got a call from one of the producers of the movie, because he read it and wanted to meet with us. Turns out, the real treatment K/O wrote was supposed to go out around the same time and when the producer read ours, he thought it was the real movie (we blacked out our names on the cover page, watermarked every page, hole punched it, and then scanned it to make the pdf look more authentic). Really, someday I need to write extensively about this whole endeavor because it was just insane, with all kinds of crazy coincidences.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, you can read the treatment below (the clean, undoctored version). The section titled "MEGATRON" is the one that is seriously almost identical to the final version in the film. In ours, a giant, Deception ship crashes into an aircraft carrier, but in theirs, it was individual Decepticons instead. And then they revive Megatron soon after, in a slightly different way than ours. But still, same basic scene, and I later got confirmation from my K/O buddy that - wink, wink - K/O really liked that idea. So, yeah. As for the treatment itself, it was written nine years ago, so cut me some slack. But actually re-reading parts of it again now, I still think it would have made a better movie than what they released...

http://speedy.sh/UwKKK/TF2.pdf
TCTTS
AG
http://collider.com/star-wars-ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-kenobi-movie

BlueAg2003
AG
My brother is actually great friends with Ewan. They've worked together on two movies, American Pastoral and The Bug Movie...which is my brother's first crack at a documentary. Shameless plug here https://vimeo.com/117862207. I don't think a Kenobi movie will ever happen from what he has told me. He's not really in a rush to get back into the Star Wars franchise.
3rdGen2015
AG
quote:
My brother is actually great friends with Ewan. They've worked together on two movies, American Pastoral and The Bug Movie...which is my brother's first crack at a documentary. Shameless plug here https://vimeo.com/117862207. I don't think a Kenobi movie will ever happen from what he has told me. He's not really in a rush to get back into the Star Wars franchise.
I'm not going to say your brother doesn't know what he's talking about, but...

BlueAg2003
AG
Ewan is a nice guy and is going to say what interviewers and Star Wars fans want to hear. Having talked to him personally, he has not been approached about it, nor is he really all that interested. He said he enjoyed the role as Obi Wan, but his experiences with Star Wars fanatics and that scene has really soured him on the franchise.
TCTTS
AG
I think he'll be surprised by how tolerable SW fanatics can be after that dump truck of Lucasfilm cash is left on his front lawn.
Skitch05
AG
https://vimeo.com/178941014
Tmoneyag99
AG
Article about a Fan made trailer for a Kenobi movie:

http://www.slate.com/articles/video/video/2016/08/a_completely_made_up_and_awesome_obi_wan_kenobi_trailer_video.html?wpsrc=kwfacebookvid&kwp_0=214848&kwp_4=830952&kwp_1=411554
OnlyForNow
AG
So they totally stole our plot points?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.