KENOBI: A STAR WARS STORY

65,698 Views | 444 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I really like that idea. A conflict between acting now with an upstart Rebellion vs. staying out of it because you have to make sure the boy is ready when the time comes
I like this.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
Btw, if you would have told me yesterday that this thread would have over 200 replies less than 24 hours later, and that we'd have a legitimately chill-inducing movie this far along, I wouldn't have believed you. So stoked with what we've come up with so far, in such a short amount of time. Still, there's A LOT left to figure out...
Wait till this weekend when I can hit the bottle and type with furious abandon! Won't have to worry about my boss seeing me type up fake star wars plotlines instead of actually working!
TCTTS
AG
Guys... seriously... this is damn good stuff.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
If the female lead is a rebel pilot of sorts, that's doable, but they are very few and far between.
Um, likely Felicity Jones' character in R1 and Hera come to mind. Shara Bey from the comics.
AliasMan02
AG
Her leaving Kenobi to serve in the upstart Rebel Network while he guards Luke is a good ending.

Think I'll write some character briefs tonight. That's where the strength of my writing background is and the way I might best contribute.
TCTTS
AG
Awesome! Loved your Obi-Wan breakdown earlier, and looking forward to what else you come up with.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
If the female lead is a rebel pilot of sorts, that's doable, but they are very few and far between.
Um, likely Felicity Jones' character in R1 and Hera come to mind. Shara Bey from the comics.

I wasn't talking about female pilots. I was talking about rebel fighters of that era. Hera was among the very first, starting her operations for Bail Organa in 11 BBY. The lead in R1 is much later (0 BBY), and Shara Bey even later.
Malachi Constant
AG
Obi's love interests:

Or

Because Rey kind looks like either Kiera or Emily
OnlyForNow
AG
You don't even need to show the pod race. Just have the sound of the race in the background.

That is the most memorable part of that scene of me and EVERY Star Wars fan will know what it is immediately.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I vote Emily.
Texas Ag 15
AG
Kiera knightly for sure. Emily blunt is the better actress imo but Kiera if you're going off looks
Dro07
AG
quote:
Obi's love interests:

Or

Because Rey kind looks like either Kiera or Emily
damn... If Phasma is Obi and one of these kids beauty def can skip a generation
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You know, my original idea of Obi's love interest eventually returning pregnant to the Empire, it would make perfect sense if that baby turned out to be Phasma. Taking her at birth and training her her whole life to be a warrior.
AliasMan02
AG
No way is Phasma Rey's mom.
Grimey
My take would be a bit of a cross between Tombstone and The Magnificent Seven.

In the beginning, Obi Wan (now just Ben) is moving into a settlement near to Luke. This settlement has recently "struck it rich," by finding a large aquifer in the desert. As he settles in, he meets a few choice confidants who have also moved to Tattooine to get in on the business opportunities (only 1 or 2 people who know him as Jedi, other who know him as Ben Kenobi).

Unfortunately, this resource rush has attracted the greedy hand of the Hutts, (specifically Jabba). First, Jabba tries buying the land out from under everyone, but everyone rebukes him. They want the profit and the chance at a new life. Ben Kenobi stays in the shadows- this has nothing to do with him. Jabba, however, always gets his way, so he sends a small group of soldier/henchmen to attack the settlement as intimidation.

Kenobi does not interefere- he has a greater mission than the defense of one settlement. It does hurt him cruelly to turn his back, though. Despite his absence/inaction, the settlers sucessfully repel the attackers, lead by one particularly talented woman who almost single handedly defeats the soldiers. This woman would not be much more than an interesting footnote to Kenobi, until he realizes one important fact...

She is force sensitive.

For the first time in a long time, Kenobi has the hope of not being alone in the universe. This woman feels the universe the way he does. She can understand him in a way no other can. Hell, he could try to train her in the ways of the Jedi- make up a bit for his mistakes with Anakin. As he gets to know her, and her him, they fall in love.

The actions she took while protecting the settlement have consequences though. Vader and/or the Emperor have felt her through the Force and have sent an Inquisitor (or Imperial agent) to investigate. The agent gathers news of the incident and offers Jabba a deal: he/she will help Jabba take over the settlement in exchange for the woman (and 40% of the profits for the Empire). Unknown to both the agent and Jabba, one of Kenobi's confidants is embedded in Jabba's palace.

The confidant goes to warn Kenobi and the woman. Kenobi is ready to go into hiding, like he had before, but the woman was born on Tattooine. This is her home, and she refuses to leave it and run away from her friends and family who will be slaughtered by Jabba's forces.

So Kenobi must decide- which future does he choose? Will he stand with the woman he loves to defend the town while risking exposure, or will he go into hiding while staying Luke's watchful guardian? The lives of two future Jedi are at stake- which does he choose?

My choice would be that he stays, but kinda half-asses it. He doesn't directly go all Jedi but he does help. He recruits some of his confidants in the defense of the settlement. Jabba's forces are defeated
at great cost. The woman accidentally exposes Kenobi to the inquisitor/agent, but sacrifices herself to stop/kill the agent before he can report back to Vader.

If you want to shoehorn in a child, lengthen the timeframe after Kenobi and the woman meet. Have it be a girl and name her Mara Jade.
Dr. Teeth
AG
http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Ewan-McGregor-Being-Courted-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Trilogy-71818.html
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
quote:
http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Ewan-McGregor-Being-Courted-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Trilogy-71818.html

TCTTS probly wrote that piece out of enthusiasm for this thread. Gotta get
The PR Buzzing for the big pitch to lucasfilm.
Ag Since 83
AG
As promised this morning, here's the plot of the comic issue with the Obi-Wan on Tatooine story:

There's a drought, so the moisture farmers are barely getting by. Nevertheless, Jabba sends thugs around to collect "water taxes", taking what little water the farmers to survive themselves. Obi-Wan regrets not being able to act like a Jedi to help, and also that Owen won't let him train Luke.

One day in town, he's trying to convince people to use the coconuts from the Jundland wastes to get milk to drink, while an incident breaks out between some farmers and the thugs that leads to the thugs drawing their guns. Obi-Wan uses the Force to break the thugs' guns. After that, he decides to stop going into town so he won't be discovered.

So after that, he is completely isolated until one night, he senses that Luke has gone missing. Owen and Beru are out looking for him. Turns out that Luke is trying to steal water back from the thugs, who end up capturing him. Obi-Wan tracks them down and uses the Force to take them out. He takes a sleeping Luke back to the Lars homestead and leaves him so that Owen and Beru find him. He also returns the water to the farmers secretly, and eventually the drought lifts.

It ends with Obi-Wan saying he's "the last of my order, but not the end of the Jedi", and that Luke's bravery in going after the water taught him that.

All this information is communicated to Luke through a journal that Ben left at his home that Luke recovers in the comics. There are hints to other stories he would like to share with Luke as well.
Blanco Ag
AG
Wow this has potential! I was thinking along the lines of:

The villain in the opening is an associate of Jango Fett, who has heard rumors of a child of Vader and is a lone wolf trying to locate the kid. His motivation is to capture the kid alive and deliver him to Vader, and become fabulously wealthy.

The bounty hunter follows the faint trail to Bail Organa (who would also be available from a casting perspective) and tortures him (maybe a la the truth serum that Leia receives in the Death Star). Anyway Organa winds up revealing enough tidbits ("son" and "Tattoine") before he dies.

The bounty hunter travels to Tattoine, setting up one of the conflicts in the movie, the clash with Obi-wan who is watching over Luke.

What we are missing is more conflict. Something along the lines of a squad of Stormtroopers who have been garrisoned on the planet to keep watch for the Empire. The conflict here could be a small mercenary army comprised of the scum and villainy that inhabits the Mos Eisley. The mercenary army is financed by the Hutts, who view the Empire as cutting into their profits. (I think you could have a lot of fun with these characters!)

Definitely need to introduce Obi-WANs love interest. I really think Rey needs to be a Kenobi, and I love the idea of him going native during his exile.

One element in the background should be a disturbance like a solar flare which disrupts all communications from the planet. This plot device serves three purposes. It can create an overall sense of isolation. It explains why the squad of Stormtroopers can't just call in reinforcements. The solar flare is a celestial event that Sand People interpret as a call to war and sets them on a march to terrorize Mos Eisley and surrounding territory.

Have a climax be (1) a three way battle between Stormtroopers, the mercenaries, and the Sand People. (2) Obi-wan versus the bounty hunter - the bounty hunter neutralizes Obi-WANs obvious power advantage through cunning traps and a hostage love interest. Ultimately, Obi-wan disposes of the bounty hunter which closes the loop on the person who has tracked Luke that far. The love interest should be injured, but healed by Obi-wan. She survives to ultimately bear a daughter, but dies in childbirth.

Kenobi has Rey taken to a relative on Jakku by none other than a smuggler named Solo (han's uncle) who also has a young Han Solo in tow. For cheap grins, have Chewbacca make a cameo in the final scene revealing that he has been hanging with Han's uncle. (Han would later save Chewbacca's life, thus the life debt, but that's a different story!)
AliasMan02
AG
Deleted. New version of character write-ups on Page 9.
amercer
AG
I love a good western, and I might love it's derivatives the Samurai and Kung Fu master even more. The plots are formulaic, but its a great formula.

You have a master warrior who has renounced his former life. In the Kung Fu variation its because he's seen too much violence and wants to live a life of peace and mediation. For the Samurai he has been disgraced (perhaps by a former pupal who turned to evil), and for the gunslinger you have a man who has never lost a fight except to his own demons.

This former master lives a simple life in some backwards rural country where the locals regard him with derision and disdain. He has some job or attributes that reinforce the locals beliefs that he is week or stupid. However, upon seeing some innocent in trouble he reveals his power in some small way to save them. The rescued innocent then spends considerable time convincing the master to join some larger conflict between the good locals and the evil external force that threatens them. Eventually he agrees, takes up his sword (or gun, or fists) again and defeats the bad guys, or sacrifices himself to defeat the bad guys.

The greatness in this story is that we always know that the hero can defeat the bad guys, but the tension is if he can conquer himself. So its redemption and bad guy ass kicking all in one.

The problem here, is that ANH already hit all the high points of the hero story for Obi Wan. Not in as much detail as a 2 hour film about Obi Wan, but still they were all there. Crazy guy living outside of town is a master warrior, Check. Saves innocent and then is drawn out of seclusion back into the conflicts of his former life, Check. Defeats the bad guy, Check (with a nice twist).

Since the Obi Wan story is book-ended by the PT and ANH, a lot of the western formula cant work. He can't reveal his powers (especially on Tatooine), he cant get drawn into a larger conflict. Now, if you can get an Obi Wan western made, I will throw money at it, because its the best story for him. Still, what might fit cannon better is Obi Wan as a quiet assassin picking off anyone who gets too close to Luke or Leia without ever being seen (feel free to drop Professional references in to tie Natalie back to the story ). We have precedence now from Rebels that Inquisitors hunt for force sensitive kids. Its hard to imagine one sending out a stronger signal that Luke freaking Skywalker. Maybe Obi Wan decides its best if he just takes out all the Inquisitors one by one as silently as possible so they can never find Luke. They are gone by ANH, so something must have happened to them. A Munich in space maybe?
Buck O Five
AG
Does the force ghost of Qui-Gon undermine the loneliness/last remaining candle aspect?
OnlyForNow
AG
The only problem with this, imo, is how do you make this inner struggle a Star Wars movie.

I like your concept but I think you're going too far off on a deeper meaning to this movie and getting away from what Star Wars is... a sci-fi fantasy with laser blasters, laser swords, aliens, and magic.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Does the force ghost of Qui-Gon undermine the loneliness/last remaining candle aspect?

I don't think so. I mean, he'd be sitting there talking with his long dead teacher.

The issue is with Qui-Gon actually appearing as a force ghost since I believe he told Yoda in the final TCW story arc that he hadn't completed his training with the force priestess to become a force ghost after his death. Which is why he was only a voice to yoda. Iirc he appeared as a spirit on Mortis, but Mortis was an exception to pretty much everything since it was implied to literally be the force.
OnlyForNow
AG
Here is my take...

Obi's interest, she is a rebel pilot married to or attached/in love/etc to another rebel pilot, who crashes or is on Tattooine for some other reason.

The other pilot (male role) is the one who knows Obi-wan (see cantana scene a page or so back) and is relaying information about Leia and the state of the galaxy to Obi-wan (this is a semi-regular occurrence.... every year or two kinda thing, but this visit has been delayed 5 years or so). Male pilot is noticed by Hutt henchmen and imprisoned or killed (killed works better), Hutt's reasoning is 1) he had a bounty and was ID'd or 2) he is noted as being a rebel and the Hutts don't want rebels on Tattooine.

Female pilot could either be on the planet with him accompanying him on this trip... maybe this is what sets the whole thing off they haven't seen each other in a while, and then this chick shows up with Obi's contact... somehow this causes issues. If she isn't with him initially, then the bar fight scene happens and she comes looking for him....

leads into her encountering Obi-wan.... I won't even try to work in what kind of trouble she gets Obi into...

BUT one thing I just thought of... what if during the bar fight scene Obi tries to use his powers but he has been so neglectful of the force he can't do anything?

M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
Kenobi has Rey taken to a relative on Jakku
Rey can't be Obi Wan's daughter. The timeline doesn't fit. There's at least 40 years between ep4 and ep7 (when we first meet Rey). She's either his granddaughter or not related at all to Kenobi.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
(Big problem with how I'm steering Miar is how she ultimately leaves Tatooine. If her ship is just broken down and can be repaired, it's basically Episode 1. But I don't want to have her just give up her livelihood, either. Kenobi certainly couldn't help her financially.)
Here's a suggestion. Make her a rebel agent, but not a pilot that flies an A-Wing or X-Wing, that because of her job allows her to be able to gather intelligence for Bail Organa as part of his spy network. However, her mission isn't to make contact with Kenobi but just to note movement and activity on the Outer Rim. She doesn't even know who he is.

I think you could possibly give the reason for her having to leave in that she sees it as her duty to see the rebellion through, and to deliver a message to Bail from Kenobi. "I will be here waiting until I am needed."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

I'm no woman, but that is one handsome mother****er.
AliasMan02
AG
Good suggestion.
wangus12
AG
I agree, you having her as an agent, especially one that works by herself, creates that sense of strength and independence that we want in the character as well as providing a reason for her to leave him in the end.
AliasMan02
AG
That's basically what Hera Syndulla does around this time period, so we have something of a model. It makes sense that Organa would have more than one agent out in the galaxy, looking for possible resistance cells and gathering intel.
tremble
AG
This thread is great.

I do like the idea of the love interest being one of the very first agents of a nascent Rebellion. Tying her to hating the Empire wouldn't be the most difficult thing ever with them quashing people all over the galaxy.

You can really give her character a sort of furtive demeanor towards everything, hiding from empire and trying to keep her role/mission secret. Obviously, Obi-wan can read through her intentions. Maybe the Organas have let this agent know, in their utmost confidence, that there is a Skywalker child out there among the stars? Or maybe they are collecting resources on the Outer Rim planets, away from Imperial eyes.

Action goes here.

Ending is the love interest has to leave to continue her fight. Obi-Wan can't leave because he has to watch Luke on Tatooine, out of duty to the Jedi/Republic for causing their downfall indirectly.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS right now:
AliasMan02
AG
What do we think about her being from Alderaan? I think it's a good angle that makes sense. However, it offers the implication that she may have been killed in the attack by the Death Star. She could have survived as well. Kenobi makes no mention of it, obviously. Not sure if I like that uncertainty.

If you want her to potentially still be out there, she could always just talk about not being able to go back to Alderaan for fear of leading the Empire to the forming rebel cell.
tremble
AG
Actually the Alderaan angle works really well for a number of reasons.

#1 It ties the Organas into this seamlessly
#2 It gives Obi Wan a connection to the love interest off the bat, he'll ask about Leia immediately
#3 You can kill her off on short notice by just saying, Death Star, and never worry about her again

The only critical part is to make sure that her kid gets off planet so Rey is fine.

Having the love interest drop the "Your dad was a Jedi" bomb could also be interesting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.