KENOBI: A STAR WARS STORY

65,859 Views | 444 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We'd still need an excuse for her to be on Tatooine to meet Obi Wan.

I propose we blend this idea with her being a Tatooine native.

In short: She's born on Tatooine, joins the fledging rebellion upstart, returns to her homeworld due to some family crisis, and then eventually returns to the rebellion...on Alderaan.

She could say something to the effect of, "We're starting something important. Bail Organa is quitely recruiting any willing fighters to join him on Alderaan to blah blah blah" (obviously it can be more subtle and eloquent than that, but the overall dread the viewer will feel knowing the fate that awaits the planet would be pretty impactful.
hurleyag
AG
quote:
Actually the Alderaan angle works really well for a number of reasons.

#1 It ties the Organas into this seamlessly
#2 It gives Obi Wan a connection to the love interest off the bat, he'll ask about Leia immediately
#3 You can kill her off on short notice by just saying, Death Star, and never worry about her again

Also explains why the destruction of Alderman impacted him so much in ANH, besides the "millions of voices cried out" line.
Ag Since 83
AG
I'd stay away from her being a Tatooine native , just because I'm tired of a disproportionate number of important people being from that planet.

I'd go with Alderaan, because I really want Alderaan scenes featured, or a new planet entirely
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Sounds like you guys have Obi-Wan lookin' for love in Alderaan places.
M.C. Swag
AG
Only Anakin and Luke are from Tatooine. And is that really worse than a rebel haphazardly finding their way to a planet on the far reaches of space? (Something we've already seen with Qui Gon and Han Solo)

Either way you slice it, there's going to be an element of coincidence with a major character on Tatooine. I just think it's easier to swallow that presence if she's a native rather than a wandering explorer/fighter/whatever.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, I don't love her being a Tatooine native either. Posted that yesterday.

Makes the universe feel too small.

She should be sent to Tatooine specifically to search for Obi-Wan, imo. Don't have it be a coincidence.
M.C. Swag
AG
As opposed to every major character in the SW franchise randomly making their way out there for no real reason?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nope. Just added more to my post.
M.C. Swag
AG
Like, you're going to have to place her on Tatooine at some point. And I can't see how fabricating ANOTHER faux reason for someone unconnected to Tatooine to wind up there without it looking retread.

You could easily show her on Alderaan as a rebel and she could still be a Tatooine native. It makes her return there much more logical.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
She should be sent to Tatooine specifically to search for Obi-Wan, imo. Don't have it be a coincidence.
Another, "Help me obi wan kenobi"?

Ag Since 83
AG
It needs to be a good reason to get her to Tatooine, but if we want to build a full universe, we should try and actually expand the horizons a bit.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Or someone on the imperial side.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
It needs to be a good reason to get her to Tatooine, but if we want to build a full universe, we should try and actually expand the horizons a bit.
I don't understand how making her a Tatooine native limits the universe. Besides, the scope of this film wont be a giant space adventure. It would be centrally located on Tatooine.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
Or someone on the imperial side.
So Darth Maul searching for Qui Gon a la TPM? (obvo sans sith)

And then you would have to wonder why Obi Wan would fall for her? Does she turn good? Betray him?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well this was my original idea. (Replying to it.) -----------------------------------------^
Ag Since 83
AG
This is just my preference. Tatooine natives have been covered pretty extensively
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
This is just my preference. Tatooine natives have been covered pretty extensively

As have coincidental characters traveling to the edge of space on a story central planet.
Ag Since 83
AG
I agree with you there. Tatooine is way overused. If you could make this movie work off planet, I'd be all for it. But, a Kenobi story set in this time period is the one thing you absolutely do have to put on Tatooine.
TCTTS
AG
Apologies for being MIA the past 24 hours. I had a meeting last night, and two more this morning/afternoon. Just now getting around to reading everything. Real quick, re: Tatooine, the love interest, Alderan, etc....

- I really do think she needs to be a Tatooine native. Someone mentioned this earlier, but as Luke/Owen state in ANH, many other pilots have left Tatooine to join the rebellion. So there's precedent there, even if this is 10-15 years prior. That, and she needs a personal reason to come back to the planet. Hence a family member potentially being in trouble. We can't have everyone sent to come after Obi-Wan, especially if we're going to with this idea that, when we first meet him, a contact from Alderan is meeting with Obi-Wan in the cantina (which I'm still mulling over). Save for that character, it should only be the villain who has found Obi-Wan, and, like I said earlier, it was monumentally hard task to do even that.

- As for Alderan, I know a lot of you want to finally see that planet, but this probably isn't the movie for that. Again, this needs to be a contained story. I'll touch more on this in a bit, but this isn't a planet-hopping adventure. This is a Star Wars western, basically.

Anyway, give me a chance to take care of a couple things, then I'll be back to start addressing individual posts I've missed and give a summary of where we currently are plot-wise.
tx1c
AG
How much does one gave to contribute to your script to get in on a writing credit?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
quote:
Apologies for being MIA the past 24 hours. I had a meeting last night, and two more this morning/afternoon. Just now getting around to reading everything. Real quick, re: Tatooine, the love interest, Alderan, etc....

- I really do think she needs to be a Tatooine native. Someone mentioned this earlier, but as Luke/Owen state in ANH, many other pilots have left Tatooine to join the rebellion. So there's precedent there, even if this is 10-15 years prior. That, and she needs a personal reason to come back to the planet. Hence a family member potentially being in trouble. We can't have everyone sent to come after Obi-Wan, especially if we're going to with this idea that, when we first meet him, a contact from Alderan is meeting with Obi-Wan in the cantina (which I'm still mulling over). Save for that character, it should only be the villain who has found Obi-Wan, and, like I said earlier, it was monumentally hard task to do even that.

- As for Alderan, I know a lot of you want to finally see that planet, but this probably isn't the movie for that. Again, this needs to be a contained story. I'll touch more on this in a bit, but this isn't a planet-hopping adventure. This is a Star Wars western, basically.

Anyway, give me a chance to take care of a couple things, then I'll be back to start addressing individual posts I've missed and give a summary of where we currently are plot-wise.

Not gonna lie. I am anxious to see your updated recap. So much going on and swimming in my head it is hard to keep thoughts straight.
AliasMan02
AG
Reread some canon comics last night and was reminded of two things we know about Kenobi. First, Jabba makes mention that Kenobi had caused him lots of trouble over the years.

Second, Kenobi wrote a journal for Luke to help him in his training. I think our last shot of the movie, at least of Kenobi, should be him starting to write the journal. I think that would drive home the final theme that he has not given up hope for the Jedi.
Buck O Five
AG
quote:
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
tremble
AG
quote:
Reread some canon comics last night and was reminded of two things we know about Kenobi. First, Jabba makes mention that Kenobi had caused him lots of trouble over the years.

Second, Kenobi wrote a journal for Luke to help him in his training. I think our last shot of the movie, at least of Kenobi, should be him starting to write the journal. I think that would drive home the final theme that he has not given up hope for the Jedi.
That would be a pretty good ending, love interest leaves, Obi wan begins to write.
M.C. Swag
AG

Kenobi Movie News

quote:
Rumors of a Star Wars spinoff movie focusing on the adventures of Obi-Wan Kenobi between the events of Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope have been circulating almost since Disney announced there would be spinoff Star Wars movies but now those rumors have evolved into a whole trilogy, starring Ewan McGregor.
The latest iteration comes from the Schmoes Know podcast and even they advise skepticism, so that goes to show how stretched this one iswho claim that Disney are in talks with McGregor for an unspecified role. That role is believed to be a Post-Episode III Ben Kenobi in not just one movie, but three in a spinoff series that are separate from the Anthology/Star Wars Story series that Rogue One is part of.

Texaggie7nine
quote:

Kenobi Movie News

quote:
Rumors of a Star Wars spinoff movie focusing on the adventures of Obi-Wan Kenobi between the events of Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope have been circulating almost since Disney announced there would be spinoff Star Warsmoviesbut now those rumors have evolved into a whole trilogy, starring Ewan McGregor.
The latest iteration comes from the Schmoes Know podcastand even they advise skepticism, so that goes to show how stretched this one iswho claim that Disney are in talks with McGregor for an unspecified role. That role is believed to be a Post-Episode III Ben Kenobi in not just one movie, but three in a spinoff series that are separate from the Anthology/Star Wars Story series thatRogue One is part of.

Welp......
7nine
TCTTS
AG
Look closely at the story they're linking to. They're referencing an article from June. No idea why they're doing so seven months later. Either way, I would put zero stock in that. Lucasfilm may very well be developing an Obi-Wan movie staring Ewan McGregor, but A) I guarantee you it's not a trilogy of movies, and B) again, it would be at least four years away, if not more. Plenty of time to potetnially "develop" one for them...
M.C. Swag
TCTTS
AG
Also, I'll try my best to post a summary of where we're at today. Been super busy the past couple of days. If not today, tomorrow for sure...
Texaggie7nine
Question. Do you think all the spinoff Starwars movies like Rogue one will have flying text prologues at the beginning?
7nine
80s Guy
We need to see Obi Wan sowing his long repressed Jedi seed, maybe with a pair of Twi-lek(sp?) dancers from Jabba's palace
DannyDuberstein
AG
They should just scroll it in the opposite direction.
TCTTS
AG
I seriously doubt it. I bet they come up with a new, standard intro for all anthology films.
Malachi Constant
AG
What about "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.