KENOBI: A STAR WARS STORY

65,740 Views | 444 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
To put it another way... imagine the Jedi Order as a fire that has raged for centuries, now reduced to a single candle. This movie is that final, thunderous gusts of wind, trying desperately to burn that candle out. And because it's a single candle, it may very well get reduced to a simmering wick... but not extinguished. It finds its spark again, and eventually, is able to light a second candle that ultimately carries the flame.
Are you high right now?
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Even though it's in SW: Legends now, you guys should definitely read up on this so you don't run into that plot line, which was terrific in the comics.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Duel_on_Tatooine_%28Imperial_Period%29
Nice. This is exactly the kind of stuff I hoped TexAgs would be able to uncover, if only to pull from or avoid. Thanks!
AliasMan02
AG
How about this:

Year is something like 9 BBY. Luke is 10. Kenobi is 48.

Film starts with Kenobi at Mos Eisley, sitting in the back with a drink, waiting and watching. He is only sort of dressed in his robes. He looks like he's halfway between being a Jedi and just some hermit, like part of him is still clinging to the past and the rest has given up.

His contact shows up. Some old friend we've never met before, but is someone Kenobi obviously trusts. Scoundrel type, maybe ex Republic military. Kenobi is awkward and not ised to being around people.

His friend has news to share. The Empire is getting stronger, the Senate weaker. Things are easier for the Hutts and the Black Sun as long as they stick to the Outer Rim. He's just come from Alderran, which is what Kenobi really cares about. He's just seen the princess, who is smart and headstrong, but lonely. Bail is still a staunch Imperial supporter in public, but rumors persist that he and his wife are unsatisfied. Unaffiliated, isolated protests and acts of defiance have popped around the galaxy but are quickly squashed.

Kenobi brushes away talk of rebellion. He doesn't care. He has just one job left, and that means staying put and not getting involved. He carries guilt about the downfall of the Jedi and the Republic, and the galaxy is better off without him.

Kenobi's friend gets noticed by the wrong people. He has a price on his head. A fight ensues and his friend is killed. Kenobi can't save him, as he doesn't have his lightsaber and can't use his powers. More guilt.

Kenobi leaves quickly to avoid any aftermath, but one of the other patrons follows him out. Kenobi's friend slipped during the fight and called him Obi-Wan. There's a huge bounty on an Obi-Wan Kenobi, placed by the Empire. Could this be him?

Thus we establish Kenobi's current state, catch the viewer up on when this falls in the timeline, and create the seed of the conflict for Kenobi as the bounty hunter watches him and learns things he shouldn't, like that he has some interest in this farmer's kid.
FTACO97
AG
quote:
How about this:

Film starts with Kenobi at Mos Eisley, sitting in the back with a drink, waiting and watching. He is only sort of dressed in his robes. He looks like he's halfway between being a Jedi and just some hermit, like part of him is still clinging to the past and the rest has given up.

His contact shows up. Some old friend we've never met before, but is someone Kenobi obviously trusts. Scoundrel type, maybe ex Republic military. Kenobi is awkward and not ised to being around people.

His friend has news to share. The Empire is getting stronger, the Senate weaker. Things are easier for the Hutts and the Black Sun as long as they stick to the Outer Rim. He's just come from Alderran, which is what Kenobi really cares about. He's just seen the princess, who is smart and headstrong, but lonely. Bail is still a staunch Imperial supporter in public, but rumors persist that he and his wife are unsatisfied. Unaffiliated, isolated protests and acts of defiance have popped around the galaxy but are quickly squashed.

Kenobi brushes away talk of rebellion. He doesn't care. He has just one job left, and that means staying put and not getting involved. He carries guilt about the downfall of the Jedi and the Republic, and the galaxy is better off without him.

Kenobi's friend gets noticed by the wrong people. He has a price on his head. A fight ensues and his friend is killed. Kenobi can't save him, as he doesn't have his lightsaber and can't use his powers. More guilt.

Kenobi leaves quickly to avoid any aftermath, but one of the other patrons follows him out. Kenobi's friend slipped during the fight and called him Obi-Wan. There's a huge bounty on an Obi-Wan Kenobi, placed by the Empire. Could this be him?

Thus we establish Kenobi's current state, catch the viewer up on when this falls in the timeline, and create the seed of the conflict for Kenobi as the bounty hunter watches him and learns things he shouldn't, like that he has some interest in this farmer's kid.
AliasMan - I really like this. Great ideas!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I like this.
TCTTS
AG
I dig the overall vibe of the scene and Obi-Wan's state of mind. I really, really like the mention of Leia too. That's a good fix. We know she's safe without having to send Obi-Wan there himself, and I like the idea of him basically getting an update on the state of affairs as well. My one concern is that scene being the scene where Obi-Wan is discovered. I'm definitely in the J.J. / Christopher Nolan camp when it comes to opening your movie with a big action set piece. Just jumping right into the action, and then taking a breather to set up your main story. So I really, really want to open with the villain performing this heist of sorts to acquire Obi-Wan's general whereabouts. Then, when we cut to Tatooine, and meet Obi-Wan, the audience already has this sense that someone is coming for him. He doesn't know it yet, but there's already a built-in tension for the audience.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
He carries guilt about the downfall of the Jedi and the Republic, and the galaxy is better off without him.
I like this. I think we need to remember that his protege and surrogate brother is now the largest threat to the Jedi. His failure in properly training Anakin led to the death and destruction of everything and everyone he loved. He feels personally responsible for this. He's failed the jedi order and no longer feels the need/desire to follow it.

He becomes a vagabond. A wandering hermit. Neglecting his duty to protect Luke. The story can be about his own redemption and belief in the force.Maybe through a love interest?
TCTTS
AG
That said, maybe this contact either heard about the heist, or actually escaped from it, and raced to Tatooine not only to give Obi-Wan the update, but also warn him someone is coming. That could be kind of cool.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
He carries guilt about the downfall of the Jedi and the Republic, and the galaxy is better off without him.
I like this. I think we need to remember that his protege and surrogate brother is now the largest threat to the Jedi. His failure in properly training Anakin led to the death and destruction of everything and everyone he loved. He feels personally responsible for this. He's failed the jedi order and no longer feels the need/desire to follow it.

He becomes a vagabond. A wandering hermit. Neglecting his duty to protect Luke. The story can be about his own redemption and belief in the force.Maybe through a love interest?

YES. I don't think he ever neglects his duty to protect Luke, but the guilt for what you mentioned above is reason enough for him to dabble with this doubt I've been talking about.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Interior, Obi-Wan's house, Tatooine.

Comlink buzzing, over and over again.
A groggy Obi-Wan Kenobi sits up and answers it.

Kenobi: "Hello?"

Yoda (obviously upset): "THE HELL, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN IN IT? Left you 41 messages I have!"

Kenobi: "Oh, sorry Master Yoda, I got mixed up in this whole deal with a water shortage in Anchorhead, and the Hutts, it was a total trainwreck, but I smoothed it all out. This is the first time I've been home all weekend."

Yoda: "WHAT? Interacted with the locals, you have? What part of "until the time is right, disappear we will?" did you not understand, Obi-Wan?"

Kenobi: "Yeah, I get that, but it's been like 12 years and I just, sorta got tired of shooting womp rats, I mean there's not even two meters long, not much of a fight to put up. Plus, this kid Luke is a real brat, really whiny, it's tough protecting him."

Yoda: "Experience with whiny Skywalker brats, the market you have cornered, Obi-Wan. But I started calling you last Wednesday, where have you been?"

Kenobi: "Oh, uh, well, it was Boonta Eve last week and I had a date."

Yoda:" Beg your pardon, I do?"

Kenobi: "Um, a date, with a lady I met while shopping in Mos Espa getting some new threads."

Yoda: "New THREADS? DATES? Master Obi-Wan, the shroud of the dark side has fallen. You've turned into a metrosexual."

Kenobi: "Hey! It gets boring here! Plus, every time I call you, you're outside too!"

Yoda: "THE ONLY BEING ON THIS ENTIRE PLANET, I AM! Going to collect root leaves, I am! Exploring the dark side cave, not having brunch and watching pod racing!"

Kenobi: "Well, maybe if you had figured out the Supreme Chancellor was a Sith Lord one of the NINE BILLION TIMES YOU WERE IN HIS OFFICE, neither one of us would be having a problem right now!"

Yoda: "Go there with me, you should not. By the way, how is the Padawan you trained? What was his name again? Oh yes, Darth Vader, the slaughterer of billions who murdered younglings in their beds."

Kenobi: "Um, anyway, hey, remember that kid Boba Fett from Kamino? Mace chopped his dad's head off on Geonosis?"

Yoda: "Vaguely, I do; Saved your ass there, I did after captured you were by a bunch of mosquitos."

Kenobi: "Yeah, great, anyway, he showed up wearing his dad's armor and totally tried to kill me!"

Yoda: "SHOWED UP? Find you, how did he?"

Kenobi: "Oh, I had put out a personal ad in the Daily Dew Back. I've been looking for someone to play Sabaac with, and the Jawas around here just aren't cutting it. It's how I met my lady friend, not that you care."

Yoda: "A PERSONAL AD? An IDIOT YOU ARE!"

Kenobi: "No, it's totally cool, I put that my name was "Ben" Kenobi, not Obi-Wan. I don't know how he cracked the code."

Yoda: "Feel like putting my lightsaber through my skull I am, for ever promoting you to Jedi Knight."

Kenobi: "Hey if you would have just believed Qui-Gon about Darth Maul and the Chosen One, you wouldn't have had to upjump me."

Yoda: "Yes, great job by Qui-Gon, bringing Skywalker to Coruscant. Worked out great, that did."

Kenobi: "You've gotten really bitter, Master Yoda. You need a girlfriend."

Yoda: "Sounds like a Star Wars Story to me. In 2024, see you, I shall."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
******* it, Yoda's dialogue. Stifling my laughter at the office.
M.C. Swag
AG
I guess before we proceed, we should figure out whether we want to establish the possibility of Kenobi having a child or not.

Obviously the need to portray a love interest somewhat depends on that angle. It's not a necessity, but it's hard for me to frame the story we want to tell without knowing precisely how much we want to hint at.
TCTTS
AG
Done. I'll get this to Lucasfilm today.
powerbelly
AG

quote:
I guess before we proceed, we should figure out whether we want to establish the possibility of Kenobi having a child or not.
I would vote no.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
How about this:

Beautiful.
TCTTS
AG
quote:

Obviously the need to portray a love interest somewhat depends on that angle. It's not a necessity, but it's hard for me to frame the story we want to tell without knowing precisely how much we want to hint at.
I would say, either way, we would never actually show the child. At most, we would have the love interest either tell Obi-Wan she's pregnant, or - and this is the crappy, off-the-cuff version - in her final scene, have her kind of touch her stomach or whatever, indicating that she knows she's pregnant. I don't see it as being a big plot point, regardless. It would just be like an extra little nugget at the end.
TCTTS
AG
Let's go with this for now...

- Obi-Wan has a love interest, if only briefly.
- They definitely consulate their relationship at some point.
- Toward the end, she may or may not reveal that she's pregnant.
AliasMan02
AG
Let's create an ideal female lead.

Avoid at all cost:
- a meet cute with some random person
- love at first sight
- a Jedi
- barely legal piece of ass
- damsel in distress
- slave

Musts:
- strong and independent
- human
- can hold her own in a fight
- witty

I kinda like the idea that maybe she's even attached in some way. Maybe not married, but with someone else.

A good character to use as inspiration might be Picard's occasional love interest in TNG, Vash. Not too young. A foil for the protagonist. Tough as nails. Less criminal, maybe, but maybe not.

In the end, does she stay with Kenobi? She can't die immediately if she is Rey's grandmother. Or does he decide to love her from afar? Maybe she raises their daughter as another man's. That is the toughest part to work out in a satisfactory way, I think.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I propose:
TCTTS
AG
Love it. Exactly what I was thinking. For the exact reason you stated, I don't think she dies, but I do think Obi-Wan has to ultimately either send her away, or decide to also basically watch over her from afar (like Tom Cruise in Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol). I just know that it has to have a bittersweet ending between them. They still love each other, but can't be together kind of vibe.
Dro07
AG
quote:
Let's create an ideal female lead.

Avoid at all cost:
- a meet cute with some random person
- love at first sight
- a Jedi
- barely legal piece of ass
- damsel in distress
- slave

Musts:
- strong and independent
- human
- can hold her own in a fight
- witty

You just described his gf in the clone wars. She is Mandelorian and Boba Fett has mandelorian armor....
TCTTS
AG
That said, if it ends with him watching over her on Tatooine from afar, you'd still wonder where she went or how she died between this movie and A New Hope. Maybe that's ok, but the more concrete option would be sending her away. Not in some assh*le way, but in a way where they both come to the realization that that's what's best.
TCTTS
AG
That's fine. Just proves that he has a type.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Love it. Exactly what I was thinking. For the exact reason you stated, I don't think she dies, but I do think Obi-Wan has to ultimately either send her away, or decide to also basically watch over her from afar (like Tom Cruise in Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol). I just know that it has to have a bittersweet ending between them. They still love each other, but can't be together kind of vibe.
Basically, what we need is Ilsa Faust of Star Wars.
Dro07
AG
we would find out how she died... In Rogue One when we discover the daughter of Obi Wan was one of the ones that stole the secrets from the Death star
TCTTS
AG
I was actually referring to him watching over Michelle Monaghan's character, but yeah, I mentioned Ilsa Foust earlier as well, if we went the route of her being a spy for the Empire or whatever (which I'm still debating).
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I was actually referring to him watching over Michelle Monaghan's character, but yeah, I mentioned Ilsa Foust earlier as well, if we went the route of her being a spy for the Empire or whatever (which I'm still debating).
Yeah I got the reference, but Ilsa fit the character description better.
Dro07
AG
Why wouldn't Boba Fett work though? He knows Obi-Juan, he created a syndicate in tatooine between episode 3 and 4. He could play a role in it just saying
TCTTS
AG
What works best? Assuming she's strong/independent/witty regardless...

- The love interest being someone indigenous to Tatooine, who kind of gets swept up in this whole mess, or...

- The love interest essentially being a spy for the Empire, who dupes Obi-Wan, but eventually does fall for him?

Either way, the love/relationship is real, but one has more lasting thematic consequences than the other. If the first option, the love angle is more of a positive thing for the character, just one Obi-Wan knows he can't ultimately have. If the second, it might be more of a "See, you should have never trusted a woman / love to begin with." The latter does offer more of an out in the end - she has to leave Tatooine - but I just can't see Obi-Wan, once he knows she's "evil," continuing to love her. Unless she truly does defect? Still, like I said earlier, I feel like I've seen the love-interest-turns-out-to-be-the-villain thing a hundred times before. Not opposed to it, though.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Why wouldn't Boba Fett work though? He knows Obi-Juan, he created a syndicate in tatooine between episode 3 and 4. He could play a role in it just saying
Because it would just feel too small, too claustrophobic. It needs to be new characters. That, and they're already developing a Boba Fett spin-off, so it's a no-go either way.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:
Because it would just feel too small, too claustrophobic. It needs to be new characters. That, and they're already developing a Boba Fett spin-off, so it's a no-go either way.
I thought that has been cancelled or "put on hold"?
TCTTS
AG
It was going to be the second spin-off, and the Han Solo one was going to be third, but they've essentially switched places now, after the director left / was fired. It's still being developed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I feel like the chick should be involved in the Empire, or a bounty hunter, or something along those lines, imo.

Falling in love with a Tatooine native feels a little too Dances With Wolves, Avatar-y to me.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
I feel like the chick should be involved in the Empire, or a bounty hunter, or something along those lines, imo.

Falling in love with a Tatooine native feels a little too Dances With Wolves, Avatar-y to me.
What if she's a rebel fighter? Pilot? (Rey was wearing a helmet in Ep 7)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.