KENOBI: A STAR WARS STORY

65,866 Views | 444 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow, I should remember this better since I just binge watched the most recent episodes last week. I think so, but I don't remember completely. Vader has only appeared in a couple episodes.
TCTTS
AG
What if, in that basic scenario, there's still a main villain as outlined earlier. And Obi-Wan still eventually stumbles upon a woman he falls in love with. But the twist is, this woman ultimately reveals herself as an operative of the Empire. We just learn about it at the same time as Obi-Wan. She simply beat the main villain the punch (a woman was able to do a Sith's job more cunningly/effectively, etc.). But she does fall for him. Kind of like Ilsa Foust in Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation. That kind of vibe, except she initially disguises herself as a widowed woman living alone, out on the range...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, thinking about it, it would work better as a twist.

Maybe at the end she sacrifices herself to keep him safe from the Empire, a-la Vesper Lynd.
TCTTS
AG
Ooohhh yeah. I like her sacrificing herself. I really want the heartbreak angle in there somehow.

That said, I feel like I've seen the love-interest-turns-out-to-be-a-villain thing a hundred times. What would be the thematic point of going that route? What lesson does Obi-Wan ultimately learn, and how would it be organic to the overall point of the story? I'd love to make it work, I just want it to have an overall point in doing so.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
quote:
Hmmm. Something along those lines could potentially work. My main concern is that he'd likely be able to sense via the Force that she's part of the Empire or whatever, right? Or no? Either way, I just can't see him getting duped like that. Though... it is a cool way to organically involve a love interest, one that is tied directly to the plot, and not just something on the side.

In one of the prequels it is mentioned how the dark side can hide itself from the Jedi, iirc.

Palps hid himself until EPIII,
TCTTS
AG
Good point.
Jason Ag
AG
quote:
Ooohhh yeah. I like her sacrificing herself. I really want the heartbreak angle in there somehow.

That said, I feel like I've seen the love-interest-turns-out-to-be-a-villain thing a hundred times. What would be the thematic point of going that route? What lesson does Obi-Wan ultimately learn, and how would it be organic to the overall point of the story? I'd love to make it work, I just want it to have an overall point in doing so.

Perhaps the love interest isn't a spy, but rather just causes him to be exposed in the first place. He (at first reluctantly) saves her from a horible fate/bad guys, but in the process uses the force or light saber. Which somebody sees...

Then her dying to save him in the end brings it full circle.

Added thought: a while later (after saving her) at some other cantina in another world, a guy tells a story of how some crazy person in a robe cut his hand off. Someone over hears this and demands to know where.
carpediem13
AG
Can we have a Liam Neeson force ghost?
TCTTS
AG
I don't see why not.
TCTTS
AG
Not a bad idea either. I really like that.
Old Jock 1997
AG
Bookmarking this as I'd like to read it all in depth. Sounds pretty cool.

And if you're looking for talent, I'm available. Sorry, though, I don't do frontal nudity.
VikingNik
AG
quote:
quote:
How about:
Jabba the gangster has decided to abscond with too much water stressing the planet. He and his goons cross paths with obi wan while attempting to strong arm a greater supply to sell to the empire. That brings some empire operatives into the picture and old Ben has to do his best to save the planet and not get found out.

What do you mean by "abscond with too much water stressing the planet?" Either way, I like that general set-up. Empire operatives is a great way to go. That's the vibe I mentioned of not actually showing the Empire, but definitely feeling their presence in some small way.
he is selling the precious moisture off world, threatening to dry out tatooine to the point of inhabitability. Something like that...
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
quote:
Bookmarking this as I'd like to read it all in depth. Sounds pretty cool.

And if you're looking for talent, I'm available. Sorry, though, I don't do frontal nudity.

Spreadsheet updated-- OJ 1997 is Caruso from nypd blue
TCTTS
AG
Man, I really, really like that idea. And again, it feels like such a natural extension of what we know of that world. I'm just worried it's too much like Fury Road. A fat gangster/dictator with a harem of women (or aliens) in a desert wasteland decides to keep water from his subjects...
tx1c
AG
I read all the posts so far but kind of zoned out on tracking all the developing ideas.
Whether this ever goes any further or not, it's still fun to imagine it. Cool idea,thanks for sharing it here.

I'm not contributing any plot ideas, but you know fans like to see some familiar things along with the new things. So make sure to have at least some token appearances or references to sand people and jawas, etc., perhaps showing some kind of interaction demonstrating how Ben gained some of his knowledge of them and their tendencies.
(You could throw in some kind of reference to pod races too; with an obvious eye roll from the hero.)
COOL LASER FALCON
All of the water talk is making me think of Star Wars: Quantum of Solace.

We know Jabba is a gangster who has dealings with smugglers and bounty hunters. I think I'd kind of go opposite Viking. A smuggler is trying to get water on to Tatooine without paying their appropriate taxes to Jabba. Jabba sends his enforcer (your antagonist) to shut it down. The moisture farmers (enter Owen) and Jabba both have a vested interest in shutting this down so Owen tries to enlist Ben to help. Your love interest is involved in the smuggling and eventually wins Ben over to that side for the final showdown against Fett's enforcer.

I think you go almost Casablanca with the love story. In the end, Kenobi really learns that he has to stay isolated in order to protect Luke, so he puts her on a ship and sends her on her way.

The water smuggling could even be an Imperial effort to weaken Jabba's influence in the Outer Rim if you want to get into the weeds on it. And that would give Jabba an in with the budding alliance who do know Kenobi is on Tatooine. Kenobi could even be put in a position to show mercy to the antagonist, but knows he has to kill him because he has learned who he is.
Goldie Wilson
Obi Wan and Jar Jar buddy cop flick? Patrolling Tattoine busting heads and picking up chicks with their pastel robe sleeves rolled up a la Don Johnson. Go ahead and take my money now.
Jason Ag
AG
quote:
he is selling the precious moisture off world, threatening to dry out tatooine to the point of inhabitability. Something like that...

Off world? Once you go to the trouble to get a tanker to transport it through space it would be more lucrative to transport it to the planet. I could believe Jabba taking control of imports and pulling mafia stuff to stamp out local producers.

I still don't really feel comfortable with the water war idea though.
COOL LASER FALCON
I'm probably not the person to comment on this, because I actually liked Quantum of Solace quite a bit, but the water war angle can be done. You just have to make sure it's not anything more than a MacGuffin.
Tmoneyag99
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Well, I hate to be Buzz Killington here, but it really sucks to see this thread with so many responses, click it open thinking that they've announced the fourth anthology film and then ... not so much.
TX AG 88
AG
quote:
Mainly, I just want Obi-Wan to fall in love

so, there's already a woman involved and you can't think of a way to generate hard feelings between Obi-wan and Lars? What's the USUAL source of friction between two "good guys" who hate each other in the movies?

obi-wan could beat out Lars for the love of this woman. Or, the woman could be a relative of Lars, and her relationship with Obi-wan leads to/results in her downfall.
amercer
AG
Not sure about the water angle. In addition to it being a touch too dystopian (or mad max as mentioned above), is anything ever really scarce in the Star Wars universe? There is a deus ex machina solution for every technical problem.

Also is Ben really on Tatooine all the time? He probably keeps an eye on Leia too right? Or maybe gets to the outer rim to check **** out?

I'd love a story that unwraps more of the mythology of the force itself. Not necessarily force trees, or a church of the Jedi, but more of a personal investigation of the force. If there is one question id love answered about Obi Wan it would be how he came to know that sacrificing himself to Vader was the right decision. Is he weighed down by loss and guilt? Has he come to some great understanding of the force that even surpasses Yoda?

I'm just babbling though. I'll happily pay 15$ to watch Obi Wan The Western A ghostly figure that intervenes in a mining dispute? I always thought Pale Rider would work better with a light saber
LeonardSkinner
quote:
quote:
Mainly, I just want Obi-Wan to fall in love

so, there's already a woman involved and you can't think of a way to generate hard feelings between Obi-wan and Lars? What's the USUAL source of friction between two "good guys" who hate each other in the movies?

obi-wan could beat out Lars for the love of this woman. Or, the woman could be a relative of Lars, and her relationship with Obi-wan leads to/results in her downfall.
Isn't Lars with Beru at the end of Ep III?
TX AG 88
AG
could be? I'm not that familiar with the minor characters in the saga, so that's very possible. All I know he was with someone (Beru, I guess) in Ep 4. If it was a love interest, maybe there was time in the gap between the trilogies for one to come before the other. If he was with the Ep 4 woman already in Ep 3, then obviously (assuming he's completely loyal) that's not a possibility.

Knowing I didn't know the story, that's why I offered the alternative that the love interest could be a family member of his.
unmade bed
How about if Obi summons old friend Jar Jar Binks to come assist due to his aquatic expertise? The comic relief would be much needed. "Meesa have sand in my ears, Meesa need to take shower" he then proceeds to clumsily destroy all the water apparatuses as obi just shakes his head......

Just kidding, I won't "contribute" anything else because I'm not creative like that, but I will be following. I've thought about crowdsourcing being used to write a movie or a novel and wondered what it would come up with, so I'm intrigued
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, Owen and Beru are literally in the final shot together of Episode III, so that probably wouldn't work.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I read all the posts so far but kind of zoned out on tracking all the developing ideas.
Whether this ever goes any further or not, it's still fun to imagine it. Cool idea,thanks for sharing it here.

I'm not contributing any plot ideas, but you know fans like to see some familiar things along with the new things. So make sure to have at least some token appearances or references to sand people and jawas, etc., perhaps showing some kind of interaction demonstrating how Ben gained some of his knowledge of them and their tendencies.
(You could throw in some kind of reference to pod races too; with an obvious eye roll from the hero.)
Absolutely. Love the pod race idea.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
All of the water talk is making me think of Star Wars: Quantum of Solace.

We know Jabba is a gangster who has dealings with smugglers and bounty hunters. I think I'd kind of go opposite Viking. A smuggler is trying to get water on to Tatooine without paying their appropriate taxes to Jabba. Jabba sends his enforcer (your antagonist) to shut it down. The moisture farmers (enter Owen) and Jabba both have a vested interest in shutting this down so Owen tries to enlist Ben to help. Your love interest is involved in the smuggling and eventually wins Ben over to that side for the final showdown against Fett's enforcer.

I think you go almost Casablanca with the love story. In the end, Kenobi really learns that he has to stay isolated in order to protect Luke, so he puts her on a ship and sends her on her way.

The water smuggling could even be an Imperial effort to weaken Jabba's influence in the Outer Rim if you want to get into the weeds on it. And that would give Jabba an in with the budding alliance who do know Kenobi is on Tatooine. Kenobi could even be put in a position to show mercy to the antagonist, but knows he has to kill him because he has learned who he is.
Overall, I think it's a little too small of an idea. I want to go bigger. More grand and sweeping. But I do really like the Casablanca angle.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Well, I hate to be Buzz Killington here, but it really sucks to see this thread with so many responses, click it open thinking that they've announced the fourth anthology film and then ... not so much.
My bad. Didn't even think of that. That said... who's to say this isn't the fourth (or third) anthology film...
TCTTS
AG

quote:
I'd love a story that unwraps more of the mythology of the force itself. Not necessarily force trees, or a church of the Jedi, but more of a personal investigation of the force. If there is one question id love answered about Obi Wan it would be how he came to know that sacrificing himself to Vader was the right decision. Is he weighed down by loss and guilt? Has he come to some great understanding of the force that even surpasses Yoda?

I'm just babbling though. I'll happily pay 15$ to watch Obi Wan The Western A ghostly figure that intervenes in a mining dispute? I always thought Pale Rider would work better with a light saber

That's a great side-angle to examine. Love that. It's been a decade since I've seen it, but didn't Yoda briefly mention Qui-Gon's Force ghost or something with Obi-Wan toward the very end Revenge of the Sith? Or am I imagining that?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Here's my plot:

Obi-Wan lives in a house for 20 years, devoting all of his time and energy to recording as much Jedi lore and wisdom as he can into books and data discs so that one day the future of the Jedi, Luke & Leia Skywalker, can use it to restore balance to the Force. He does not use this time trying to hook up with chicks because he's the most hardcore Jedi alive, to the point that he went out and cut both legs and an arm off his best friend to attempt to destroy the threat of the Sith.

The end.
unmade bed
quote:

quote:

That's a great side-angle to examine. Love that. It's been a decade since I've seen it, but didn't Yoda briefly mention Qui-Gon's Force ghost or something with Obi-Wan toward the very end Revenge of the Sith? Or am I imagining that?

I think you are right about Qui-Gon and his force ghost. Maybe liam neeson would need some small cameos, convincing obi that staying underground is the right choice (it's always kinda bothered me that Obi and yoda let the Republic fall into such chaos after ep III, so I would like to see obi tortured by it happening but having qui gon pop in to reassure him that Luke is worth protecting) and dropping knowledge about how to force ghost himself.

I also like the idea above that obi abandons his jedi oath to marry and get it on with some love interest who he ultimately has to send away to protect Luke (not sure if he should or should not know she is preggers, maybe it's Owen's or beru's sister and only beru and owen know about the pregnancy, so when sister is sent packing that causes the friction between them and obi).
Buck O Five
AG
Not a star wars expert, but could there be a way to tie the conflict loosely with the mega project of building the original death star?

Scouring the outer rim for laborers, droids, or materials? Jaba bidding for a supplies contract or hijacking freighters? A small band of the resistance doing recon for the secret death star project, or looking for the eventual stolen plans visit tattoine?
TCTTS
AG
I mean, that's kind of the plot of Rogue One. So I think anything having to do with the Death Star should probably be left alone. I really want this to feel like it's own, relatively contained thing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.