***Dunkirk***

114,027 Views | 830 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 42799862
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess I am missing what the plot is going to be. We know about Dunkirk. (Obviously) But what angle is Nolan going to push? An aggregate story of multiple perspectives? A civilian feel good story? An over arching historical narrative?

This movie is about Dunkirk. Check. With that being said.....what is this movie about?

Gotta agree very underwhelming trailer for me
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
First Nolan trailer that's ever made me say "meh".
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I thought the trailer was decent but I do really like the warbird footage.

On a WWII aviation facebook page that I am on, someone did a screen capture of the Bf109 that is chasing the Spitfire at one point and observed that Christopher Nolan had failed because he was not using an authentic Bf109E Messerschmitt fighter, but rather a Spanish-built "Buchon" Messerschmits. From there the conversation escalated into a warbird nerd fight. I pointed out that I was easily able to overlook the historical inaccuracy of this particular airplane since we will see real airplanes rather than CGI airplanes.
wangus12
AG
scubasteve304 said:

Aggie_Journalist said:

I think Nolan is making it because he's British and it's a big moment in their history. I'm not sure it will do great with American audiences.

I was definitely thinking this is super British to make a movie touting an evacuation as a triumph but then I realized I'm from San Antonio and we talk mad trash about the Alamo.
Well if the do anything about Britain post Dunkirk and act triumphant, they be distorting history. After Dunkirk, Britain was at basically zero morale nation wide.
bobinator
AG
That's why I said the ending is going to be difficult to pull off. It can't really be that uplifting. Like, at best it would have to be sort of "whew... that was almost REALLY bad..."
TCTTS
AG
Looks like the prologue has started showing with certain Rogue One IMAX preview screenings in the UK...

Gig-Em2003
AG
The next trailer will be more generic and explain more of the plot. Count on it.
TCTTS
AG
No question.

And I will say that this trailer is definitely growing on me. That, and I have a feeling Zimmer's score we're hearing is going to make for something haunting and amazing. I really dig what it's hinting at, musically.
TCTTS
AG
Same guy going into a bit more detail...

http://letterboxd.com/antovolk/film/dunkirk-2017/
scubasteve304
AG
Oh ok full Bane as in hammy. I was terrified I would have difficulty hearing him again.
TCTTS
AG
Official list of theaters playing the prologue...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/14/13953674/dunkirk-trailer-christopher-nolan
FancyKetchup14
AG
The AMC right by my office is on board

wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

Official list of theaters playing the prologue...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/14/13953674/dunkirk-trailer-christopher-nolan
Question, How long will the prologue be in theatres?
TCTTS
AG
It's only five minutes.
wangus12
AG
Sorry I meant date wise. Like if I go see Rogue One again in a week or two, would the prologue still be showing
bobinator
AG
Marq*e prologue! YES!
TCTTS
AG
Ha, sorry, read that quickly on my phone and totally missed that last part. I honestly don't know, but I'd expect through the first week or so in January, at the earliest, and likely longer than that. Could be as long as Rogue One is playing in IMAX.
Simplebay
AG
i'm doing IMAX 3D at MarqE on Monday, glad ill get to see this
TCTTS
AG
I've quoted McCrabb here a few times before. He's one of Nolan's right-hand guys. I almost feel bad for him if he's referring to the Dunkirk trailer, which I'm pretty sure it is...

AgMarauder04
AG
I have no idea what that means
Sex Panther
AG
He's saying that people didn't like the trailer he made. I guess Nolan called him and they're working on a strategy moving forward with how to market/cut the next round of trailers.
TCTTS
AG
Bingo.

"Hope Is A Weapon" is one of Dunkirk's tag lines.
agmag90
I mentioned this in the Rogue One Spoilers and Discussion and thread, thought I was posted here as well that I was able to see the 5 minute Dunkirk prologue at the Bullock IMAX. Very enjoyable 5 minutes, very suspenseful. Essentially a longer version of the teaser trailer that was first dropped. I would pay admission into Rogue One again just watch those 5 minutes (would also watch Rogue One again though too).
Simplebay
AG
The first 5 minutes was 952x better than the trailer.

That dogfight buildup, the tension....could be a great one.
Madmarttigan
AG
I also agree that the prologue was wayyyy better than the trailer which I found boring as hell.
TCTTS
AG
Very interesting...

http://theplaylist.net/christopher-nolan-talks-triptych-storytelling-dunkirk-20170228/

Sounds as if even in a WWII movie Nolan is going to mess with the audience's perception of time, or "temporal strata" as he puts it. Apparently there are basically three threads/stories the movie will be following...

- The soldiers (via Harry Styles and others) who were stuck on the beach for ONE WEEK
- The soldiers/civilians (via Cillian Murphy and Mark Rylance) who were at sea for ONE DAY
- The pilots (via Tom Hardy) who were in the air for ONE HOUR

... and these three threads will be told and interweave simultaneously. I have no idea how he's going to pull that off, but A) my already sky-high interest is piqued even more, and B) this would explain why I was somewhat lost in those opening five minutes. It all felt kind of connected but something about how those scenes were interwoven just felt off. Now it's starting to make a bit more sense...
zgood10
AG
And the whole time a van will be plunging off a bridge
TCTTS
TajMaballer
AG
Honestly, I've been underwhelmed by the teasers, but that description has my full attention. Also, Harry Styles*, not Henry. Don't worry, I already slapped myself for pointing that out.
TCTTS
AG
Helps to stare at his poster above your bed every night, I bet.
TajMaballer
hunter2012
AG
zgood10 said:

And the whole time a van will be plunging off a bridge

Now you must decide for yourselves, is this a gif or a JPEG

The D
AG
Anyone getting pumped after watching all these teasers during Fargo ? I've seen at least 4 already. They are all short, probably 7-10 seconds long.

One in the air with a plane going down,, one on a boat, one on a beach, and one with a soldier getting shot at by a house. The scale looks epic.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TCTTS said:

Very interesting...

http://theplaylist.net/christopher-nolan-talks-triptych-storytelling-dunkirk-20170228/

Sounds as if even in a WWII movie Nolan is going to mess with the audience's perception of time, or "temporal strata" as he puts it. Apparently there are basically three threads/stories the movie will be following...

- The soldiers (via Harry Styles and others) who were stuck on the beach for ONE WEEK
- The soldiers/civilians (via Cillian Murphy and Mark Rylance) who were at sea for ONE DAY

... and these three threads will be told and interweave simultaneously. I have no idea how he's going to pull that off, but A) my already sky-high interest is piqued even more, and B) this would explain why I was somewhat lost in those opening five minutes. It all felt kind of connected but something about how those scenes were interwoven just felt off. Now it's starting to make a bit more sense...

Game of thrones fans are going to be so pissed.
Silvertaps
AG
Champ Bailey said:

TCTTS said:

Very interesting...

Game of thrones fans are going to be so pissed.

GOT will certainly give you the proper training to watch this film.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.