***Dunkirk***

114,445 Views | 830 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 42799862
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I need to sit on this one for a little bit to really rank it, but wow that was really, really good. Very tense, edge of your seat stuff.

Looks beautiful, and the sound of the various attacks is amazing, and often startling.

Also, I liked that there's really not a plot beyond "get off the beach", the movie just sort of happens.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Just got out. Awesome
TCTTS
AG
Damn it, you guys are legit giving me chills. Have to wait another 48 hours!
FancyKetchup14
AG
Full thoughts after getting home...

Again, this is why you go to the movies.

The entire experience was just non-stop intensity. This is not a typical war film where you get a back story of the men who fought. There is no real character development. However, through the people you are introduced to throughout the movie, you can feel the desperate atmosphere that had over taken that part of the word in 1940.

I enjoyed the Nolan perfected non-linear format. It was interesting and unique to watch the storylines come together and notice scenes from Farrier's view out of his cockpit be shown moments later through the eyes of the family on the civilian boat. Also, the dog fighting scenes were the best part. Tom Hardy played those scenes perfectly with his eyes.

Nolan deserves the lion's share of credit, and deservedly so, but Hans Zimmer...what more can be said other than that guy is simply a wizard with the scores he puts together. The lack of dialogue was made up with the never ending, almost haunting, music. That tick, tick, tick in the background was so unsettling. The music reverberated through everyone's body in the theatre. The score set the tone for every scene and played up emotions of dread and suspense like no other movie experience I've felt.

The cinematography was great, there were some beautiful shots from those planes. And it sounds cheesy, but to see all those people band together for one cause was really inspiring. This movie is unforgettable, and it isn't a movie to rent at redbox, it needs to be seen in the theatre.

"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That was an amazing movie.

The thing that stands out most for me is Zimmer's score. It is a separate sensory entity of the movie. From the earliest moments the score is there, building in its intensity and really capturing a major theme in this story - we know the Allied Expeditionary Force is trapped between the English Channel and the Nazi Wehrmacht, so how long do they have before the Germans attack? There is a ticking sound built into the score that gives this theme an ever-present sense of anxiety and dread. This is easily some of Zimmer's best work.

Nolan also nailed the,aerial scenes. I told my wife that at this point in the air war, dogfighting tactics were still being developed. Often a pilot would retain focus on a vanquished target for a bit too long, never seeing another present threat. And what is it with Tom Harry's eyes? He gave a hell of a performance as fighter pilot Farrier, largely seen through only his goggles and with the oxygen mask covering the rest of his face. I felt like I was right there in the cockpit with him. I guess this should not have been a surprise given his performance as Bane a few years ago.

The history seemed reasonably depicted. I am familiar with the story, being a WWII nut, but had always wondered what it would have really looked like with a ragtag fleet of pleasure boats, etc, sailing into war. I think Nolan gave us a great picture of how this might have looked.

I can certainly see how the story alignment might be confusing or even off-putting, but there was no trickery here. They spell out the different time lines and then do an amazing job of weaving those into one coherent piec. There is some repetition as we occasionally see events already presented from a different perspective.

Dunkirk lives up to my expectations.
JABQ04
AG
Just got out and will post thoughts later but well done. Very suspenseful and overall great movie. Recommend to anyone. Read about Operation Dynamo too
FancyKetchup14
AG
STUPENDOUS SPECTACULAR AG said:

Quote:

Do we really need another WW2 film?

No, we don't. I'm extremely disappointed Nolan is doing this. WW2 is way over done, regardless of the fact that there are countless old sentimental types who will still pay to see every movie about it. I wish Nolan would stick to scifi.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Great bump. I forgot about that nonsense!
mnuge
AG
Simply can't wait to see it tomorrow. Great to hear everyone's take
This has been one of my favorite stories from WW 2 since I was a kid.

Not movie related, but grew up with the story of Dunkirk.
One of the large ships used in the evacuation suffered major damage. With a major gash on one side it was taking on too much water.
To utilize it, bricks were loaded below on one side to try and offset the damage on the other side and "limp" home.

After delivering soldiers home, it was patched up.

It then traveled to the shipyard in Orange, Tx to be repaired fully. Believe it or. It Orange was a big player in the shipping big industry then.

When the ship arrived the bricks were being tossed in the water.
My great grandfather was told the story behind them and ended up having them loaded in trucks to be taken to property he had in town.
Once there, they were used to build a road on his land.

Loved hearing my grandfather, who would serve in the Pacific on the Richmond, tell the Dunkirk story while walking on those bricks.

I know...cool story, etc.

Looking forward to tomorrow night....

Bunk Moreland
That's an awesome story
wangus12
AG
Thats amazing
Silvertaps
AG
Just got home from the movie...wow, amazing.
Hardly any dialogue, yet has you engaged from opening to end credits with an incredible score. Nolan telling the story with 3 stories in 3 different timelines definitely makes you pay attention. I highly recommend watching in IMAX. This has been the one movie all summer I've been anticipating to see and it didn't disappoint.
MBAR
AG
Pretty much a perfect film. The intensity is full bore the entire way through. It's under 2 hours which is nice because it really is non stop stress. Love the different perspectives. This is definitely a movie where the score and sound mixing add to it. Everyone who wants to see this film should do so in a theater. Simply amazing sound.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

Pretty much a perfect film

My friend asked what I thought after I got out. Being someone who usually takes mental critical notes when watching a movie(even ones I like), I sent him this....

Simplebay
AG
Saw it in non 70MM IMAX, and it still goes full frame at MarqE. The dogfights and aerial shots of the beach are some of the best cinematography I've ever seen.

The sound design was the best I've heard in the last 10 years. Hopefully your theater is as loud as mine was.

The characters were forgettable, but I get it.

It's impressive filmmaking. It's in the category of black hawk down for war films. I'm also willing to put it above The Dark Knight Rises, Insomnia, AND Insterstellar. There is no way in God's green earth it's better than Inception. Also... I question the rewatchability of it. Instead got better with repeat viewings and on blu ray. I wonder if this will have the staying power. Methinks not.
BassCowboy33
Just got out. It was good. While there isn't a lot of dialogue, the movie belonged to Mark Rylance, Fionn Whitehead, and Tom Hardy. Rylance was Oscar level good.

The airplane scenes were especially good. Almost Top Gun level stuff. I got vertigo in some spots.

Missed the connection to the characters that usually permeate a Nolan film, which is probably due to the stepped back character approach.

I know Nolan wanted the PG13 rating and less blood, but that decision, at least to me, took out some of the emotion. The viewer is left imagine much of the carnage.

Some reviews criticized small scaling such a large scale event. I felt like that was a strength of the film. I was ducking at the explosions and bullets.

While I will see it again to put the timeline together, I'd rank this in his upper-mid echelon, maybe below Memento and TDK, possibly Inception and Interstellar as well.
Ag Since 83
AG
After sleeping on it, this is my best of 2017 so far. The technical side of the film is magnificent (I second all the endorsements of how beautiful the movie is shot, but again to me the sound was the real highlight). Also as a history fan, the ending was perfect for me.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Almost Top Gun level stuff
This comparison was inevitable. I believe Nolan blew Top Gun away. He captured WWII dogfighting completely. Pilots really did encounter issues getting their landing gear down, and it was a hand crank that they had to work at fast in order to do so. There was nothing on these aircraft that was automated, push-button stuff like we would find on a modern day jet. I know that when discussing airplanes, the vast majority of folks will ohhhh and ahhhh over jet fighters - I do at every such Kyle Field fly-by - but for me the WWII warbirds is simply a more interesting airplane. You could not eliminate a target that your eyes could not see; you had to be better or luckier than your opponent to shoot him down. Nolan depicted that quite well.
rononeill
I don't follow critics closely at all, and maybe he's got a reputation, but this Rex Reed guy sounds like a world class *****
http://observer.com/2017/07/dunkirk-review-christopher-nolan/
Bruce Almighty
AG
And of course Armond White gives it a negative review while calling Valerian a masterpiece on the level of Metropolis. So far this year, he has panned Logan, Wonder Woman, GotG2, Get Out, Spider-Man, John Wick, and Planet of the Apes but praised the last Transformers movie. He also named King Arthur and The Great Wall among his 10 best so far for 2017.
wangus12
AG
What are the typical times for previews these days. I leave work at 2 today and there is a 70mm IMAX showing at 2pm its about 10-15 minutes away from my office.
Furlock Bones
AG
i'm not reading anything written. i'm just stoked about the 70mm experience tonight.
Bunk Moreland
Previews + the final coke commercial and the theater branded intro came to 20 minutes for our showing.
Sex Panther
AG
Man that's an awesome story
Malachi Constant
AG
SITTING IN IMAX 70MM WAITING FOR THE SHOW TO START MY BODY IS READY NOLAN AND ZIMMER
NColoradoAG
ATM1876 said:

Just had a 10 minute chat with the projectionist as he arrived to the theater. He lives here in Denver but actually traveled to Florida to work a 70mm showing of The Hateful Eight when it came out, which shows you how few guys there are left with experience in this format. He said their three showings last night were over 90% full with the only available seating in the front row and is going to check with the manager to see if he can let me in early to go up into the booth and see the projector and film reel. He says the film weighs over 150 lbs!
Continental right? I bought tickets to the promenade 70mm showing on Sunday. No reserved there for that one. Planning to be there an hour early.
NColoradoAG
ATM1876 said:

Yep, at the Continental. Depending on your showtime you may want to show up earlier than 1 hour before. I was at the Promenade 3 hours before an evening showing of The Hateful Eight and was the first one in line but the line started filling up gradually 2 hours before the movie started. It was damn near full 30 minutes before showtime.
I'm going at 1pm. Will probably take my chances at an hour. Reserved seating has ruined me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ATM1876 said:

Sitting outside of the door to the theater 2 hours before my 70mm showtime (this theater doesn't have reserved seating). Damn near had a heart attack when I looked at what other movies were playing here on the Flixster app and it showed Dunkirk in 70mm IMAX! Turns out it was just an error, there's no IMAX screen at this theater...
Are not all 70mm projectors IMAX?
TCTTS
AG
There's 70mm, which is usually shown in a normal, if not slightly bigger theater, with a richness and detail you don't get from DCP or 35mm. Standard widescreen presentation. Then there's 70mm IMAX, which is obviously what you expect it to be, with the "taller," more square ratio.

I'm not super well versed in that stuff, but that's my experience/understanding.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.