***Dunkirk***

114,028 Views | 830 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 42799862
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here it is again...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Got it. Just read up on it. It's essentially twice the resolution but without the added picture on top and bottom.

Didn't actually realize that existed, but good to know. Will have to look up where I can find a 70mm theater.

There's a 70mm IMAX in the city, but I don't know if it's worth the train ride.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thanks.
TCTTS
AG
I've heard that the 70mm IMAX theater in the city - Lincoln Square or Circle or something? - is THE place to see it. Even the Chinese Theater here in LA is "IMAX with Laser" and not quite the same resolution (though close).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's pretty fantastic. I saw Interstellar there.
TCTTS
AG
Awesome.
bobinator
AG
I don't have anything to add that anyone else hasn't already said. Thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in the last few years. Sort of wish now I'd have decided to drive to Houston for the big IMAX, but still great.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh wow, the only theater in all of Long Island showing it in 70MM is literally 5 minutes from my office.

I know what I'm doing tonight.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
well, count me off the bandwagon of "this movie was great." No character development, the whole movie was basically following a single plane and a boat carrying soldiers back to england. My gold standard world war 2 movie is saving private ryan. This movie isnt anywhere close to it. (different storylines, i get it). I'd struggle to even watch it again from redbox at this point .
Chipotlemonger
AG
You must really like character development.
Saul Goodman
AG
I was trying to decide between IMAX (non-70mm) or the regular 70mm (non-IMAX) here in Austin. I think I'll opt for the 70mm (non-IMAX) based on the discussion here. You don't get quite the audio power, but it looks like the 70mm is worth seeing.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Just finished up 70mm IMAX in Dallas. I assume the same showing as Blatant Disregard. Very, very good. Suspenseful, action packed, moving. Beautifully shot. See it on the biggest screen you can.

Star of the show: Mark Rylance and Tom Hardy's left eye. Seriously, Hardy is an insanely good actor.

Award for only knew he was famous because people are talking about him being famous goes to Harry Stiles. Some say he stole the show....only if you went in with the predetermination. He was quite good (everyone was), but would have been just another face if you didn't already know it. Just a bit prettier.

The air scenes were absolutely incredible, but.....see below....

Quibbles:
A bit too much time jumping, especially towards the end. All in all I liked the way the 3 stories were woven together, but it did seem like Nolen got a bit, shall we say, cheeky with using it.

2nd Spitfire: You knew he was getting out the second they showed how close Rylance's boat was to him. The whole breaking him out fell flat to me. But they needed to get 1hr40 somehow I suppose.

Tom Hardy and his Amazing Gliding Spitfire! So, Tom's scorecard was 2 bombers, 2-3 fighters, and 1 additional fighter while gliding. Top RAF pilot of the war? Must have been. And that glide! 10 min, big U turn, shoot down a fighter, fly forever, perfect landing. A bit much for me. But hell of an acting job by Hardy.

Not a perfect film, but 4.5/5 stars from me.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

2nd Spitfire: You knew he was getting out the second they showed how close Rylance's boat was to him. The whole breaking him out fell flat to me. But they needed to get 1hr40 somehow I suppose.

I loved seeing this again, and specifically because we knew he was getting out (because as you mentioned we saw the boat so close previously from the air). I loved just the struggle to try and break free, and I liked that it still spun you for a loop without being tacky. Being tacky would have been him slowly drowning, and just as he's reaching his last conscious finger up towards the top of the cockpit, Peter breaks it free and they grab him. I liked how it was basically as soon as it was "too late" the pick started breaking it apart.

Quote:

Tom Hardy and his Amazing Gliding Spitfire! So, Tom's scorecard was 2 bombers, 2-3 fighters, and 1 additional fighter while gliding. Top RAF pilot of the war? Must have been. And that glide! 10 min, big U turn, shoot down a fighter, fly forever, perfect landing. A bit much for me. But hell of an acting job by Hardy.

Yeah. I talked about the glide kill with the person I saw it with afterwards. At that point, I felt like it was a tad cheesy if anyone else had done it. But for some reason, the Nolan/Hardy combination made it work, and maybe it was just my satisfaction with the movie at that point that I was like "**** it. Do what you want guys. Bravo!"

Also, the silent gliding over the beach from the land perspective was one of the most beautiful shots of the entire film.

wangus12
AG
I forgot how cramped Cinemark 17 is
Ol Jock 99
AG
wangus12 said:

The IMAX in Dallas? I'm 6'6" 255lbs and wasn't cramped at all.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Completely agree with your last sentence. Beautiful scene.
Malachi Constant
AG
Great film, especially in IMAX. During the air battle scenes I felt like I was flying around.

I thought it got a little it slow around the time the soldiers went to that beached ship. The opening scene was great and I think there could have been more of that. Also, I would've liked to see more of the German soldiers.

Also, seat G13 is the absolute best seat in the house (cinemark 17 on Webb chapel.)
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

Also, seat G13 is the absolute best seat in the house (cinemark 17 on Webb chapel.)
No complaints with J11.
wangus12
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

wangus12 said:

The IMAX in Dallas? I'm 6'6" 255lbs and wasn't cramped at all.

I meany the size of the theatre itself. I feel like otger theatres are just way bigger. More seats etc.

Didn't mean to sound like i was complaining
Ol Jock 99
AG
No worries; just curious.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

well, count me off the bandwagon of "this movie was great." No character development, the whole movie was basically following a single plane and a boat carrying soldiers back to england. My gold standard world war 2 movie is saving private ryan. This movie isnt anywhere close to it. (different storylines, i get it). I'd struggle to even watch it again from redbox at this point .

This. It is a beautifully filmed movie, with a great story but that's where it fell off. The acting was ok, but I thought the writing was awful. In the end it felt like a British propaganda bit..
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

British propaganda bit.
How dare a movie featuring one of Britain's greatest historic events prop up their achievement!!!!!
FancyKetchup14
AG
aTmAg
AG
My two main criticisms are:

1) It being out of order didn't really add anything to the movie, and if anything it make it more confusing and gave away plot points that would have been better if we didn't already know what happened.

2) Some of their accents were hard to understand. However, I realize that is probably just me. I have this problem in lots of different shows. I had to watch The Wire with subtitles on.

Besides that it was great. Except for the D-Day scene, I'll take this movie over Private Ryan any day.
The Collective
AG
Loved it. Star Wars BTS reel was a nice little surprise too.
Commander Gorn
AG
Just saw the movie. I need to go change my drawers. 10/10
Philip J Fry
AG
Pretty much have to catch my breath from the movie. Can't say it was the greatest ever, but it was pretty fricken great. Amazing just how little dialog there was and he pulled it off
Teacher_Ag
AG
Freaking loved it but get this. Right as it gets to the scene arriving back about 20 minutes before it ends our screen just goes black. Not sure what happened but it took them about 20 minutes to get it going again and when they did they started it about 10 minutes before where it cut off. Only plus being that I got a free IMAX voucher out of it.

Couldn't have asked for much more out of that movie. If you're going in wanting a traditional war movie, you won't be happy. As Nolan said, it's a survival story set in a war. That's what it was.

Props to Nolan for having the balls to make a WWII movie without a) an American star faking a British accent b) a battle involving Americans.

Great movie...totally hoping to see it in theaters again, this time without a 20 minute intermission.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thewrap.com/dunkirk-christopher-nolan-box-office/amp/
FancyKetchup14
AG
I don't know the accuracy of it. I'm not as big of a WW2 history buff as some posters on this thread are, they are likely of more assistance on that subject. However, seeing as how Nolan has been wanting to do this for 20+ years I'm guessing he's done his homework.

And no, it's not propaganda. It's just a really great WW2 movie. Pure and simple.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.