***Dunkirk***

114,029 Views | 830 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 42799862
cone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went to the 59 one on Sat night for 70 mm

I thought it was fine
MikeMontgomery
Have anybody seen the film yet? Im interested to hear the feed back?
Phat32
AG
MikeMontgomery said:

TX_AG_10
AG
Did you notice any flickering? I watched at that theater Saturday morning and the flickering during the bright scenes was distracting..
schmendeler
AG
TX_AG_10 said:

Did you notice any flickering? I watched at that theater Saturday morning and the flickering during the bright scenes was distracting..

I noticed a bit of flickering at first but quickly disregarded it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
MikeMontgomery said:

So this guy's account has been open for almost a year and this is his first post. Weird.
JABQ04
AG
MikeMontgomery said:

Have you not read the board at all? Or just popped in fired off a question and left?
Bunk Moreland
MikeMontgomery said:

Movie was good. Oh, and you were a beast off the edge Money Mike.
k20dub
AG
Did anyone else think the guy who was doing target practice at the boat started taking a piss on the boat when it was actually the ocean water leaking in?
schmendeler
AG
I thought it was gasoline at first
PatAg
AG
There are a lot of unobservant people in this thread.

Amazing film.
AquaCasaAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Yes you have it right, and yes it was the only part where I had the same thought, but as I said on a previous post, the beauty of that scene's imagery, and my satisfaction in the film to that point had been achieved so I had a "Ahh **** it. Good on ya!" mentality when thinking about it.

That part bothered me as well. I couldn't remember the timing of when he switched to his reserve tank in the Tom Hardy point of view. Was it possible that after he glides by the beach with no running engine he switches to the reserve tank, then he runs out of fuel right after shooting down that last plane, and then he glides by the beach going the other direction? That was the only way it made sense to me.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Soundtrack is on Spotify.
JCRiley09
AG
I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this has been asked and addressed, but what does Rylance's character say at the end when he's asked about his maneuvering skills? I was expecting him to say something about WW1, but he didn't and it threw me off.
The D
AG
I saw this with my dad tonight on 70mm. He has been nominated for an Emmy several times for outstanding video journalism but never won. He worked for NBC for 40 years and just retired in December. He doesn't watch movies really at the theater and was blown away by the shots. Couldn't believe the scope and how creative it was. Went and ate dinner with him after and he just went on and on about specific shots and how they were set up and he realized how hard it is to not only set up, but actually be the cameraman behind those shots.

What stood out to me was the score. It was absolutely incredible. The last 15 minutes or so behind the clock ending music was just insane. It had you at the edge or your seat.

This was a fantastic movie, even made greater watching it with my dad, who spent his whole life behind a camera shooting news stories.
The D
AG
Also the way the German fighters sounded diving had to have been terrifying to everyone on the ground

I also wish I would have seen it on imax instead of 70mm. It definitely had more clarity, but i think the visuals would have been better on imax. At the edwards in Houston it seemed like the audio wasn't cranked up as high as it should have been, especially the back and side speakers
hunter2012
AG
JCRiley09 said:

I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this has been asked and addressed, but what does Rylance's character say at the end when he's asked about his maneuvering skills? I was expecting him to say something about WW1, but he didn't and it threw me off.

basically, the dad was an RAF pilot in WW1 so he knew that the plane would have to commit to a strafing line.
cone
AG
I thought the dad or the son said that the oldest son was in the RAF and died within the first few weeks of the war

but no prior war service for the dad was alluded to from what I can recall
PatAg
AG
cone said:

I thought the dad or the son said that the oldest son was in the RAF and died within the first few weeks of the war

but no prior war service for the dad was alluded to from what I can recall
Yah, fairly sure he said his son was RAF, and the guy was like "oh you?" and he said it was his eldest and he died in the first few weeks.

To what someone else mentioned, when reading books about that era it always stuck out to me the way they described the sound of the Stuka when it goes into its dive. I think it was Herman Wouk's "The Winds of War".
It just keeps ratcheting up in sound and pitch, and it seems like it wont stop.
schmendeler
AG
hunter2012 said:

JCRiley09 said:

basically, the dad was an RAF pilot in WW1 so he knew that the plane would have to commit to a strafing line.
did you fall asleep during the movie and dream this?
Belton Ag
AG
hunter2012 said:

JCRiley09 said:

I thought he said that in WWI he strapped on wings and flew around shooting German planes with pistols in each hand.
cr0wbar
AG
Huge Nolan fan before, even moreso now. I think he could make a movie about painting a house and I'd watch it. I typically have a problem with British accents anyways (I can't wait any of the Sherlock homes movies, because I can't understand a ****ing word) and I had tons of difficulty here. I watch subtitles at home 99% of the time. That - and paired with Zimmer's AMAZING score, I picked up on little to no dialogue. That's my gripe

A question that I have based on dialogue misses:

Sea Story line - At the beginning the British Navy clearly commissions their ship, but they grab life jackets and travel to Dunkirk obviously. Where were they supposed to take those sailors?

schmendeler
AG
cr0wbar said:

Huge Nolan fan before, even moreso now. I think he could make a movie about painting a house and I'd watch it. I typically have a problem with British accents anyways (I can't wait any of the Sherlock homes movies, because I can't understand a ****ing word) and I had tons of difficulty here. I watch subtitles at home 99% of the time. That - and paired with Zimmer's AMAZING score, I picked up on little to no dialogue. That's my gripe

A question that I have based on dialogue misses:

Sea Story line - At the beginning the British Navy clearly commissions their ship, but they grab life jackets and travel to Dunkirk obviously. Where were they supposed to take those sailors?

I think they were just going to supervise. and mark rylance didn't want to deal with them.
cone
AG
i took it that the ship had been requisitioned and the captain was going to get booted so that's why he bolted. if anyone was going to sail the boat it was going to be him
schmendeler
AG
cone said:

i took it that the ship had been requisitioned and the captain was going to get booted so that's why he bolted. if anyone was going to sail the boat it was going to be him
could be that as well.
Bunk Moreland
cone said:

Yep, this. Because if everyone remembers, Rylance had sailed ships in WW1 fighting the Germans.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Also the way the German fighters sounded diving had to have been terrifying to everyone on the ground
Those were Ju-87 Stuka dive bombers. They were soon to be proven to be a sitting duck during the Battle of Britain when they were chewed up mercilessly by mostly RAF Hurricane fighters.

The sound you refer to came from something called the "Jericho trumpet" - it was a siren mounted just forward of the fixed landing gear along the leading edge of the wing. It operated through propeller-driven wind and created a loud, screeching sound. This was intentional to cause a psychological effect on ground troops below (as well as any horses, as many of the early war armies in Poland or Russia, for instance, utilized horse-drawn artillery and related equipment).
OldArmy71
AG
Just saw it.

Excellent movie. Rylance was great, as was the guy who played the son. Actually, everyone did well.

The ending reminded me of the scene in The Pacific when the Marines are relieved on Guadalcanal and are getting coffee on a troopship and one of the mess sailors tells them what heroes they are back in the States.

The ending was very effective in pulling it all together. Very emotional; I had tears in my eyes.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I just got back from the Katy Mills AMC Theater, where I went to see War For the Planet of the Apes. They are showing Dunkirk in their huge theater with the sound system that rumbles the seats, and that theater is located adjacent to the rest rooms. I went in to the rest room prior to my movie starting, and was amazed at just how loud the sound in Dunkirk is. I was hearing the MG 131 machine guns rat-a-tatting against Hardy's Spitfire almost as clearly as if I had been watching Dunkirk a third time.

An amazing movie experience in sound, music, cinematography, and heck, everything else.
hunter2012
AG
schmendeler said:

hunter2012 said:

JCRiley09 said:

did you fall asleep during the movie and dream this?

This is America d*mn it, I don't speak English.
PatAg
AG
Belton Ag said:

hunter2012 said:

JCRiley09 said:

I thought he said that in WWI he strapped on wings and flew around shooting German planes with pistols in each hand.

He said something about having a pet beagle that used to dogfight with the Red Baron in WW1
tamuangry
Just saw it. It was excellent. A wonderful moving snapshot of a unique moment in history. It's hard to compare it to his other works, but I truly enjoyed this movie from start to finish and think that this cements Nolan's reputation as one of the best in the business.
Sazerac
AG
Amazing movie in IMAX. The sound was incredible and the score ratcheted up the intensity.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Just got out. This **** was incredible. Knee-jerk maybe, but I think this was a harder movie to make than Inception. They are on the opposite ends of the exposition scale. To make a movie that looked/sounded that good with next to no set-up other than the "The Mole: 7 Days, The Sea: 1 Day, The Air: 1 Hour" overlay requires a master filmmaker. Didn't need character arcs or motivations because all that matter was the event itself which kind of made those things either really clear or irrelevant. Awesome movie.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Also, this might be the first WWII movie I've seen where I didn't see a single enemy on film. Not one shot of a German soldier that I can remember, silhouette or face, but still managed to be as intense a war movie as I've seen.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.