***Dunkirk***

114,098 Views | 830 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 42799862
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TC: I agree with you completely. I know some people have been disappointed by it. I was watching a review by two people who I generally agree with and they both said that while they thought the movie was beautiful, when they realized there would be no character development at all it hurt their enjoyment of the rest of the movie. I think there are definitely many people who will feel that way, but I agree with you in that this movie didn't need it. In fact, when I realized there would be no character development, I think it made the movie better.

Also, I agree with everything you said about the ending. But that might be my being an Anglophile and loving all things Churchill.
Bunk Moreland
Yes you have it right, and yes it was the only part where I had the same thought, but as I said on a previous post, the beauty of that scene's imagery, and my satisfaction in the film to that point had been achieved so I had a "Ahh **** it. Good on ya!" mentality when thinking about it.
cone
AG
I liked the lack of character development for the soldiers. Made the dread much larger, more general.
Bunk Moreland
Agree with yall on character development. Not knowing any back stories or anything about them helped drive home the entire theme of the film; survival.
Gerald Tarrant
****ing loved this film. Chris Nolan is a genius
wesag
AG
The whole lack of character development thing didn't take away at all - they were a group of soldiers from varied backgrounds, as can be heard in their accents. They're mostly English, with all the baggage that carries. I thought they might show some background on the main character, then I realized they weren't going to, and I was glad. I could imagine where he might be from and was satisfied. I hate having things overexplained and it probably would have introduced some unnecessary female.

You knew the social class of the cockney lads. After a while I suspected maybe the nontalking guy might be another nationality, but it still was a pleasant surprise to the story.
wesag
AG
Also the perceived lack of character development adds to the disorientation and emphasizes the one goal, which is to escape the situation of being in France surrounded without your mates.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Black Hawk Down doesn't have character development. The development is the battle, which is bigger than any single person. I wish more military movies did this.
cone
AG
also liked the unlimited ammo cheat on hardy's spitfire
wesag
AG
cone said:

I quit worrying about Hardys Spitfire. I realized they were going to take license with that at a certain point, but the movie had already been so great up to that point that it didn't matter.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

I would say the first two-thirds were "average" Christopher Nolan - which is still obviously better than 90% of all other films - but it was to the point where I was honestly kind of wondering what all the fuss was about.

This is sort of how I felt as well for a while in the film. I had a mental check though where I was saying "is this it?." Then almost simultaneously I was saying "this is better than anything I ever see in theater, stfu." Then the last act happens and I say "Ohhh Nvmnd I'm either a moron or I've forgotten to trust in Nolan."

And as far as final acts in his arsenal go, I still say The Prestige was his best.
wesag
AG
For that matter, I recently saw Cold Mountain. It was actually too much character development. I get that there was much more to the movie, but I found it not that great in terms of a war movie.

Ag Since 83
AG
Love The Prestige. Probably his most rewatchable film
Post removed:
by user
P.C. Principal
Saw it last night. Damn, that was good!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Here it is again...

I'll be honest, I'm a little confused about what format I actually saw it in.

As far as I know, it was a "Liemax" digital IMAX theater, but then I was surprised to see the format change to a bigger screen during much of the movie.

I thought that would only happen with 70MM or IMAX laser projectors, neither of which my theater had. (Not listed on either list provided on the imax website, anyway.)

Either way, amazing and definitely the way to see it. The sound was insanely loud, and many times I couldn't tell if the pounding in my chest was the soundtrack or my actual heart.
TCTTS
AG
Forgot to post this from yesterday, outside the Chinese. Snuck a pic of Middleditch and then Tatiana Maslany is the brunette to his left, with her face blocked by the blonde. Wish I could have got a better pic, but I already felt creepy taking it while pretending to be on the phone...

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Thomas Middleditch is a tour guide in his spare time?
cone
AG
he dressed like the narrator kid from sandlot
bigtruckguy3500
TriAg2010
AG
TCTTS said:

Forgot to post this from yesterday, outside the Chinese. Snuck a pic of Middleditch and then Tatiana Maslany is the brunette to his left, with her face blocked by the blonde. Wish I could have got a better pic, but I already felt creepy taking it while pretending to be on the phone..

Huh. I might have been at the same showing as you
TCTTS
AG
7:00 PM?
wesag
AG
Gonna see it again this week with my son.
TriAg2010
AG
TCTTS said:

7:00 PM?

Nope, went to the earlier showing. Small world though.
titanmaster_race
wesag said:

cone said:

I quit worrying about Hardys Spitfire. I realized they were going to take license with that at a certain point, but the movie had already been so great up to that point that it didn't matter.

Took him forever to get his guns trained on the low, slow, flying-straight-as-an-arrow bomber. And then with no engine he instantly takes down a fast dive bomber (AFTER doing a 180 with no power)? lol
White Liberals=The Worst
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Damn got pretty dusty in here all of a sudden.
TriAg2010
AG
titanmaster_race said:

wesag said:

cone said:

Took him forever to get his guns trained on the low, slow, flying-straight-as-an-arrow bomber. And then with no engine he instantly takes down a fast dive bomber (AFTER doing a 180 with no power)? lol

It was easy for me to overlook because the gliding scene was just so damn good.

But, sticking to the real world, bombers in the propeller era were surprisingly manueverable because they had lower wing loading than fighters. They also had defensive guns (shown in movie) so it's not like fighters could waltz in and get an easy kill shot.

All in all, fantastic movie.
schmendeler
AG
I thought it was great and a for sure purchase on bluray. It's up there with interstellar for me in Nolan films. This one was just so tightly packaged.
titanmaster_race
Agreed that bombers weren't defenseless sitting ducks. But hardy wasn't even trying to avoid the machine guns as the bomber was on final approach to target and flying straight and level.
NColoradoAG
TX_AG_10 said:

For those of you that saw it in 70mm, where you impressed? I was a little disappointed to be honest. Maybe it's because I haven't seen a movie in film in a while, but there was a lot of flickering on bright scenes. However, I wasn't really sure what to expect, maybe that's completely normal for a film movie. I plan on seeing it in Liemax to see if I notice a difference..

Had this exact experience today in a 70mm showing. Such an amazing film but it was almost ruined by a horrible projection. The scenes on the beach and on the channel were almost unwatchable at certain points.
C Loves L
I almost walked out during the torpedo scene. It was just too much. The entire movie was essentially a 2 hr anxiety attack for me. At the same time it was an excellent film and I'm glad we went to go see it. I was adamant about watching it the first time i saw the previews/trailer for it.
cone
AG
and all that for something really not needed in the climax

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.