***Dunkirk***

114,075 Views | 830 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 42799862
HeadGames
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We. Both got bamboozled.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
I better be waking up to this thing.
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

Either way, best guesses so far are 45 minutes from now or midnight Pacific.

wangus12
AG
So pretty much a dick move to by Nolan to make people wait like that
bobinator
AG
I'm hoping all of these people on the beach run toward the camera and do a choreographed dance number. Perhaps to "Springtime for Hitler"
bobinator
AG
Hey I was actually somewhat close. A couple of people have walked up to the camera and started doing the dab, because you're not even safe from the dab when watching a viral marketing livestream from the coast of France.
schmendeler
AG
wangus12 said:

So pretty much a dick move to by Nolan to make people wait like that
no one said "wait up till late at night for a trailer" that didn't come. the expectations were all manufactured by optimistic fans.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I mean anyone that's ever followed any of Nolan's viral marketing things should know better than to try and predict what might happen.
HeadGames
AG
Michael Bay doesn't leave his fans hanging
bobinator
AG
Did anyone here follow the absolutely insane viral marketing stuff for The Dark Knight?
bobinator
AG
Well that definitely looks like something
bobinator
AG
boogieman
AG
Excellent.

The flyer they dropped is a great mind****.
Phat32
AG
Looks horrible /Redstone
HeadGames
AG
I like how Hardy is a Spitfire pilot. I like how he found ways to add in a couple of dogfights.
Simplebay
AG
i thought it looked pretty good, but we've been spoiled with some great war movies.

bit underwhelming truth be told
jeffk
AG
Looks decent. I'm sure the visuals will be stunning. All depends on whether or not they can build characters I care about.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Looks ok, but Dunkirk is just a really weird episode of World War II to make a movie about. It's a ton of soldiers escaping a beach on civilian boats while the Germans send air raids, but inexplicably don't attack with their army. So... it will basically be a movie about a lot of people waiting around on a beach.

I think Nolan is making it because he's British and it's a big moment in their history. I'm not sure it will do great with American audiences.
TCTTS
AG
Think I'm a bit underwhelmed as well. Probably my least favorite Nolan trailer in a while, to be honest. I'm sure this will be a phenomenal movie, but that trailer does not do a great job of providing any kind of a hook. I'm somewhat familiar with the actual event, but I'm almost more confused now after watching that. And if I had never heard of the event before this, I would literally have no idea what this movie is about, and not in a I-want-to-know-more kind of way. Hopefully the seven-minute opening does a better job of enticing.
Bruce Almighty
AG
It was ok. The trailer alone wouldn't have gotten me into the theater if it didn't have Nolan's name attached to it.
schmendeler
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

It was ok. The trailer alone wouldn't have gotten me into the theater if it didn't have Nolan's name attached to it.
good point. i'll probably see it (because it's his), but it looked kind of generic.

I haven't really thought Dunkirk was that great of a setting anyway. how is it inspirational when the only reason it didn't end in disaster is because of one of the most widely recognized blunders in war history?
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Looks ok, but Dunkirk is just a really weird episode of World War II to make a movie about. It's a ton of soldiers escaping a beach on civilian boats while the Germans send air raids, but inexplicably don't attack with their army. So... it will basically be a movie about a lot of people waiting around on a beach.
That's been my feeling as well. It will be interesting to see how they connect everything.

Quote:

I like how he found ways to add a couple of dogfights
Its completely necessary. The Battle of Dunkirk was a major air battle with nearly 400 planes estimated to be shot down on both sides, while Rundstedt inexplicably halted the German forces instead of going in for the kill.
Bunk Moreland
I think it's going to be pretty damn awesome, but we've all known about the subject matter for a long time now.

I find it humorous that people are now getting nervous based on the initial trailer.

One thing that it has in its favor is most people have no clue what happened at Dunkirk, or the significance of it. So it will be new to them. Also, there was talk of a possible British surrender before they were able to evacaute the Allied forces. That alone should give them the juice to create some tense scenes and drum up emotion.

You also know damn well they'll play up the multi-day delay and decision not to advance sort of "in reverse" with German orders to get moving and push forward, with the majority of the Allies able to get out of there just in time, etc.

Then you'll have your typical Nolan storytelling on a more personal and solo level, which is where the success (or failure) of the film will occur.

I'm excited. The trailer wasn't awesome, but I suppose I'm confused by anyone who expected it to just blow their mind. The scope and scenes on the beach are going to be awesome on the big screen.
Bruce Almighty
AG
You admit the trailer isn't awesome but you are confused that people said the trailer wasn't awesome?
TCTTS
AG
I didn't expect to have my mind blown, I just didn't expect this level of confusion. Not confusion but just... I don't know. I don't see a MOVIE here, in these two minutes, if that makes sense. There's no obvious hook, no true lead (which is ultimately fine), and at then end I was just left thinking, "Wait, what?" Again, I have no doubt that the movie itself will be amazing, and you can obviously see hints of that. I just worry that the average filmgoer under 30 or so is kind of left scratching their head at the end of this trailer, that's all.
bobinator
AG
I liked it, but like a lot of folks I already know the setting and the story. What will be interesting is how he pulls it off. I really like the inclusion of some of the small boats going across the channel, that to me is probably the most fascinating part of the story of Dunkirk. That the British decided they needed to get their boys back, and a ****load of people got in their fishing boats and anything they thought could make the trip across the channel and took off to go rescue the soldiers. If that's a big focus of the movie, it could be pretty cool. Sort of a "what can a regular person do in the face of something so overwhelming" type thing.
wangus12
AG
The Little Ships of Dunkirk.

I've several of the them in person. There is one in Imperial War Museum in London that is basically no bigger than a rowboat with a small sail. Hard to imagine what the scramble was like on the beach with many swimming out to the small boats to get aboard.

I agree that it will be more dramatic if the bring up the discussions of Britain surrendering to Germany with the BEF stuck on the beaches, but none of the scenes looked to show very much of that.

Wouldn't be shocked if it ends with the Churchill speech of "We shall fight on the beaches"
bobinator
AG
I do wonder how the movie will end. Nolan certainly has his work cut out for him there.
jeffdjohnson
Aggie_Journalist said:

I think Nolan is making it because he's British and it's a big moment in their history. I'm not sure it will do great with American audiences.

I imagine it will play very well here. Mainly because I expect it to be a very powerful, well made movie. It's kind of amazing that these events occurred only 75 years ago. Sometimes I think that many Americans don't appreciate (or have forgotten) the magnitude of these events. I think it is good to be reminded every now and then.
Bunk Moreland
Bruce Almighty said:

You admit the trailer isn't awesome but you are confused that people said the trailer wasn't awesome?

That isn't what I said at all. I said I'm confused that people expected some insane trailer when we've discussed the event that this movie is about on this thread, and people have known for months what it's about. I guess I just wasn't thinking this trailer would be something that was going to solidify or scare away my interest in the movie.
Bunk Moreland
Fair point. Trailers are hooks, and I can see how it may have lacked that aspect a bit.

I will say I watched the trailer a 2nd time and I think it hints more at the fact that there is a movie in there somewhere.

Cillian Murphy seemingly escapes Dunkirk early, and then Rylance tells them they have to go back and keep helping. Throw in Tom Hardy willingly flying around in a plane, and we've got our very high level "what happens during the movie" look.

So for the sake of timeline, I assume we'll see some early action, then have it set the scene and let us meet our characters, then the emotion of the film will be based on the Little Ships combined with the overall military effort to evacuate everyone, with some surrender drama, probably a Churchill scene or 3, and whatever else to carry the movie. The soul of the movie will likely be the evacuation effort. It doesn't sound glamorous, but I bet it will be well done.

I've always been fascinated by Dunkirk, because the inexplicable delay of the German advance is what is always so heavily covered...but the evacuation itself was still massive and incredible.
scubasteve304
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

I was definitely thinking this is super British to make a movie touting an evacuation as a triumph but then I realized I'm from San Antonio and we talk mad trash about the Alamo.
israeliag
AG
Haven't watched the trailer, but from y'alls reactions this sounds like The Longest Day played backwards.
bobinator
AG
Which they've also struggled to put together a good movie about...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.