Stephen Spielberg to Direct Ready Player One!!!

103,290 Views | 804 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ShawnTxAg
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice Back to the Future stinger right after the title screen.
Ag Since 83
AG
That looks fun. Jump really sets the tone perfectly
Philip J Fry
AG
Seriously. What's up with those legs? Did they actually **** up or is there some asinine hidden meaning in it?
tamusc
AG
I think the artist just Knox'd it.
Tanya 93
Sex Panther said:

I actually liked the Depeche Mode usage even better. 'World In My Eyes' is a great choice.

That was a brilliant choice.
double aught
AG
Cool trailer
bedofbrass33
AG
Cool trailer. The OASIS visuals are awesome.

The trailer seems to show more of the battle parts (both in OASIS and the real world) toward the end. I'm curious to know how they'll handle finding all the keys. That's 90% of the book with the final battle being important but not the heart of the story.
GCRanger
AG
I assume they'll get rid of some of the steps to get the crystal egg.
bearamedic99
AG
was Iron Giant in the book or are they replacing the Japanese fighting robots? it's been a while since I read the book
Dro07
AG
He replaced ultra man due to copyright
MW03
AG
Solid
KidDoc
AG
bearamedic99 said:

was Iron Giant in the book or are they replacing the Japanese fighting robots? it's been a while since I read the book
Copyright
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tamusc
AG
KidDoc said:

bearamedic99 said:

Copyright
They did at least get a Gundam for one of the mechs.
swimmerbabe11
Philip J Fry said:

Seriously. What's up with those legs? Did they actually **** up or is there some asinine hidden meaning in it?

double aught
AG
I thought I detected a bit of a familiar accent in that trailer. Then a quick google revealed that Tye Sheridan is from Elkhart TX.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, you can definitely hear his accent in a word or two. Got his start in Tree of Life, which shot and cast in Texas. Played one of Brad Pitt's three boys.
DB Coach
AG
Good lord that new trailer has me pumped for this! Looks like quite a bit of familiar scenes.
wangus12
AG
Super excited for this.

I trust Spielberg and I hope they are able to do this film justice
Tabasco
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Sex Panther said:

I actually liked the Depeche Mode usage even better. 'World In My Eyes' is a great choice.

Not 80's though (1990)
tamusc
AG
While I didn't think Cline's second book, Armada, was nearly as good as RPO, this is interesting.

Quote:

During today's livestream (at the 27:06 mark), he was asked if it was true that he was writing a sequel. "It's true. I can't talk about it too much, but there's no better inspiration for a writer [than] to return to a world they've already worked on when they're watching Steven Spielberg bring that world to life." Cline didn't reveal any other details about what the book would be about or when it would come out, other than to say that he had the chance to bounce some ideas off of Spielberg.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/10/16758732/ernie-cline-ready-player-one-book-sequel
Tabasco
AG
tamusc said:

While I didn't think Cline's second book, Armada, was nearly as good as RPO, this is interesting.

Quote:

During today's livestream (at the 27:06 mark), he was asked if it was true that he was writing a sequel. "It's true. I can't talk about it too much, but there's no better inspiration for a writer [than] to return to a world they've already worked on when they're watching Steven Spielberg bring that world to life." Cline didn't reveal any other details about what the book would be about or when it would come out, other than to say that he had the chance to bounce some ideas off of Spielberg.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/10/16758732/ernie-cline-ready-player-one-book-sequel
Was armada related? Didn't read it because the reviews sucked when I looked into it
Sex Panther
AG
Tabasco said:

tamusc said:

Quote:

Was armada related? Didn't read it because the reviews sucked when I looked into it

No not related, but very similar... unfortunately yeah, it's pretty bad
bedofbrass33
AG
Tabasco said:

Tanya 93 said:

Sex Panther said:

Not 80's though (1990)

It's important to note that 80s pop culture is the most represented in the book but there's also some stuff from the 90s-2000s.
BassCowboy33
double aught said:

I thought I detected a bit of a familiar accent in that trailer. Then a quick google revealed that Tye Sheridan is from Elkhart TX.

If you want to see him show some acting chops, watch "Mud". Fantastic film.
AtlAg05
AG
There's an OverWatch character and Chun Li around the 20 second mark.

They really are setting this up to have a ton of easter eggs and require multiple viewings to try and find them.

Looking forward to it
Fat Bib Fortuna
Are they not using the D&D first Egg part of the novel? That was my favorite part of the novel.
double aught
AG
The gate/key puzzles were the only part of the novel that I thought got a little bit tedious. I read it a month ago and don't remember the Dungeons & Dragons part.
MW03
AG
I don't know how that would translate on film. Well, everything leading up to the climax of that scene would translate pretty well, actually. But the event itself would be pretty boring, visually.
Ag Since 83
AG
Spoiler on that part: Some analysis of the Comic Con teaser implied that one of the scenes shown was him playing Joust 'for real' rather than in an Atari console setting (they could have been wrong)
TheDraw
AG
Thats not a spoiler its one of the battle scenes in the first trailer.
Ag Since 83
AG
I know that, but some people might not want to know that's what it supposedly is (I certainly didn't recognize it as that until I read about it), so just playing it safe
hurleyag
AG
Is that the scene on the scorpion? I completely missed that was that scene.
TheDraw
AG
hurleyag said:

Is that the scene on the scorpion? I completely missed that was that scene.

Yep, the eggs that drop in joust you can see in the background.
jr15aggie
AG
I haven't completely dissected the trailer nor will I... but LOL / Awesome... I saw Battletoads and Chucky fighting in those quick shots.

All us children of the 80's & 90's are going to love this! I loved all the references in the book and I'm impressed that, even though they couldn't license all of them for a movie, they are giving us some really awesome new cameo's that weren't in the book!
wangus12
AG
One thing I just noticed in the trailer. It certainly looks like Wade and Art3mis meet in person much earlier in the film than in the book.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.