Stephen Spielberg to Direct Ready Player One!!!

100,491 Views | 804 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ShawnTxAg
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty good breakdown of the trailer including several things I've missed

Dr Theopolis
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Philip J Fry said:

VanZandt92 said:

I'm reading the book and I love the eighties, but the book is not good. That isn't to say it can't be a good movie, but I can't read it any longer. When he slapped Ghostbuster stickers on a Delorean ... come on, can't it be a little more subtle?

False.

His schtick is a less hipster version of Redstone.
KidDoc
AG
wangus12 said:

Ok after watching this the level of detail being put into even quick background stuff is pretty amazing. I'm hyped again!

If you haven't watched that youtube it is worth the nearly 20 minutes. So many small details pretty cool.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AtlAg05
AG
No kidding that is awesome to see and it really captures the feel of the book with all the references. They are definitely setting it up as a movie that will need to be watched multiple times to catch additional details.

Having the egg hunt clues in the trailer just plays into the theme. Can't wait to see the movie and I need to reread the book soon.
TCTTS
AG
It's a really cool video, and I definitely appreciate the attention to detail on the part of the filmmakers, but what's kind of depressing is that like 98% of the references mentioned in that video are Warner Bros.-owned properties. And Warner Bros. is obviously the studio making this movie. I get how licensing fees work and understand the limitations of a concept like this in that regard, but I was still hoping that because it was Spielberg, and because of the unique nature of the project, they were going to be able to get some breaks here and there. Instead, it looks to be a movie that is basically just advertising WB-owned properties and that's it. The Iron Giant, DC characters, Gandalf, Freddy Kruger, Akira, the Vacation station wagon, and a ton of other references mentioned that I'm forgetting... all WB. I'm still super into this movie as a whole, and think it's going to be a ton fun, I just wish that the pop culture references weren't so constrained to one studio.
AtlAg05
AG
Save some costs by not including them in trailers, assuming those things are paid based on the number of times they are used?

It'll be interesting to see how they do the movie scenes and what movies are used.
TCTTS
AG
I don't think that matters (trailer content vs. movie content), but I could be wrong. You might be on to something.
Ag Since 83
AG
Lego Movie made it work

I'm concerned about the fact the scope of the book is huge, not the fact it will mostly (completely?) be WB properties
double aught
AG
Quote:

Even more frustrating is how, whenever something is referenced, it is referenced in excruciating detail. If this is meant to be a nostalgia-gasm for nerds of a certain age, why go to the trouble of explaining every band and movie as if no one's ever heard of them.
From an article linked earlier in the thread. This is a bit of a BS complaint to me. The narrator, Wade, is describing events to people in the future (his present day) who presumably know much less about 80s pop culture than he. It's also a believable way to introduce these things to book readers who aren't as familiar with them. I'm pretty sure Cline didn't intend to limit his audience to only nerds who are as into the pop culture stuff as he is.
Duncan Idaho
double aught said:

Quote:

Even more frustrating is how, whenever something is referenced, it is referenced in excruciating detail. If this is meant to be a nostalgia-gasm for nerds of a certain age, why go to the trouble of explaining every band and movie as if no one's ever heard of them.
From an article linked earlier in the thread. This is a bit of a BS complaint to me. The narrator, Wade, is describing events to people in the future (his present day) who presumably know much less about 80s pop culture than he. It's also a believable way to introduce these things to book readers who aren't as familiar with them. I'm pretty sure Cline didn't intend to limit his audience to only nerds who are as into the pop culture stuff as he is.

I don't think that kind expository rambling would be needed. The nostalgia bits are a big part of the story but having a 100% understanding of then isn't needed. Hell, how many people enjoyed the book but had never played a single second of zork or any text based adventure game. I say treat 99% of the nostalgia bits as Easter eggs.
Duncan Idaho
wangus12 said:

The Commodore 64 wasn't a gaming system. It was a fairly powerful home computer.
double aught
AG
But as was mentioned earlier, many of them did go unexplained. I'm sure there were multiple references I missed.
TCTTS
AG
Bumping for the new trailer tomorrow. Saturday around 11 AM CST.
TCTTS
AG
Apologies, but I got bad info. The new trailer is debuting TOMORROW, not today. Roughly the same time, though. It's premiering at an event that begins at 11 AM CST. So likely sometime before noon.
TCTTS
AG
Awesome new poster, though...

RyanAg08
AG
Those are some long ass legs
Duncan Idaho
I am guessing that is fron them stretching the moon to look like an Easter egg
goinjukin
That's a nice poster and all but the thing that jumps out at me the most is "Music by Alan Silvestri". Silvestri is one of the best but it's weird seeing someone's name other than John Williams on a Spielberg movie (especially a movie like this one with all the 80s references).

I guess it's just the sad reality that Williams is 85 years old.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Trailer in roughly 10 minutes, apparently...
TCTTS
AG
Trailer debuting here in a matter of seconds...

https://www.facebook.com/readyplayerone/videos/576600046012937/

Will post the YouTube version when it's up.
Dro07
AG
TCTTS said:

Trailer debuting here in a matter of seconds...

https://www.facebook.com/readyplayerone/videos/576600046012937/

Will post the YouTube version when it's up.
TCTTS
AG
Van Halen's "Jump"... how has this song never been used in a trailer before? So perfect.
Dro07
AG
Standard Hollywood deviation to the story but that is expected. Looks good
TCTTS
AG
Dro07
AG
Loved the back to the future jingle at the end. Getting excited about this again
KidDoc
AG
Lookin good!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sex Panther
AG
Looks awesome
RyanAg08
AG
Quote:

Yeah, because everyone immediately thought those were his real legs not a very likely photoshop error. Sanctimonious *****.

Edit - TCTTS is not a *****. I was referring to the tweet.
TCTTS
AG
Dude it's just someone having fun with it. Chill.
AGinHI
AG
I have not heard Jump in years! Years!

That really pumped my nads.
Sex Panther
AG
I actually liked the Depeche Mode usage even better. 'World In My Eyes' is a great choice.
RyanAg08
AG
TCTTS said:

Dude it's just someone having fun with it. Chill.

Sorry. Jumped the gun.
AGinHI
AG
Sex Panther said:

I actually liked the Depeche Mode usage even better. 'World In My Eyes' is a great choice.

True that.

I was all metal through th 80s though and it's been decades since I heard any of that music.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.