Stephen Spielberg to Direct Ready Player One!!!

103,240 Views | 804 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ShawnTxAg
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Javelina said:

love thug notes
Rudyjax
AG
hph6203 said:

I think they can pull this movie off in 2-2 1/2 hours and get the majority of the significant points in, but it definitely would have been better as a Netflix/HBO 6-8 part mini series.

That is true for 99% of good books.

Imagine Enders game as a tv series. Plot points with Graf, Bean, Andrew, Bonzo, Valentine, etc.

It would be amazing.
hph6203
AG
I just think this book is particularly well segmented to fit that format, 3 different keys, 3 different gates and 2 sections of the book that would fit into an episode on their own.

Part 1 - Setting setup, end with discovery of the tomb
Part 2 - Copper Key Trial, Copper Gate Trial, End with Stacks Explosion
Part 3 - Relocation, Relationship Building and degradation with Art3mis and Aech, end with Ogden's Party
Part 4 - Jade Key Trial, Jade Gate Trial, end with IOI locating the crystal key and putting up their force field around the final gate
Part 5 - Infiltration and hacking of IOI, relocation to Ogden's house and preparation for assault
Part 6 - Assault on IOI's forces and clearing the final gate.
MW03
AG
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/07/ready-player-one-steven-spielberg-mark-rylance

Quote:

Think You Know What Happens in Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One? Think Again

"I'd say the film is very faithful to the book, but also an original story. There will always be something new with Steven," Rylance told V.F. at the premiere of his latest film, Dunkirk, in New York on Tuesday. "The book has a lot of puzzles and keys that the characters have to figure out, and Steven has introduced new puzzles and keys so that the people who read the book will still not know how it's going to work out. It's a marvelous story with twists and turns and many thrilling moments."
Farmer1906
AG
Do people just feel the need to put their own spin on things? If anything it sounds like this is just going to turn more people off. The book, as is, is wonderful.
TX_AG_10
AG
MW03 said:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/07/ready-player-one-steven-spielberg-mark-rylance

Quote:

"I'd say the film is very faithful to the book, but also an original story. There will always be something new with Steven," Rylance told V.F. at the premiere of his latest film, Dunkirk, in New York on Tuesday. "The book has a lot of puzzles and keys that the characters have to figure out, and Steven has introduced new puzzles and keys so that the people who read the book will still not know how it's going to work out. It's a marvelous story with twists and turns and many thrilling moments."

Interesting development. Part of me is sad about them not sticking to the book, but part of me is excited to see what Spielberg comes up with. The gates/keys were one of the coolest parts of the book so being taken on a different adventure so to speak is intriguing.
Rudyjax
AG
MW03 said:

Quote:

Aliens. He's brining aliens into it.

Seriously this means all the 80s references are gone.
Rudyjax
AG
And how can you make Ready Player One without casting Wil Wheaton?
Farmer1906
AG
Unthought Known said:

MW03 said:

Quote:

Aliens. He's brining aliens into it.

Seriously this means all the 80s references are gone.
That is sad.
hph6203
AG
There is no way they could fit this book into a movie in its original form. It would feel rushed and every big moment would fee unearned. You either amend the book to fit the format, or you create a steaming pile of trash. They need to get the feel of the book, and the basic story premises right, the details they can play with.
MW03
AG
TX_AG_10 said:

MW03 said:

Quote:

Interesting development. Part of me is sad about them not sticking to the book, but part of me is excited to see what Spielberg comes up with. The gates/keys were one of the coolest parts of the book so being taken on a different adventure so to speak is intriguing.
And what's more, there's a lot of this book that couldn't translate well. Couldn't get the spoiler tag to work.
Rudyjax
AG
The 80s references were what made this book so great. Without that, it's a stupid story.
aTmLoKi
AG
Just a reminder, Steven Spielberg is doing the movie. I'm okay with any references he may have access to place into the movie in lieu of some of the other scenes from the book.
TCTTS
AG
aggie1906 said:

Do people just feel the need to put their own spin on things? If anything it sounds like this is just going to turn more people off. The book, as is, is wonderful.
You have to understand how hard it is to write/structure a movie. For countless reasons, most books have to be changed for the screen. It's not just some ego trip on the part of the filmmakers.

Besides, Spielberg already did basically the same thing with a little movie called Jurassic Park. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong.
TCTTS
AG
hph6203 said:

There is no way they could fit this book into a movie in its original form. It would feel rushed and every big moment would fee unearned. You either amend the book to fit the format, or you create a steaming pile of trash. They need to get the feel of the book, and the basic story premises right, the details they can play with.
Bingo.
amercer
AG
Unthought Known said:

The 80s references were what made this book so great. Without that, it's a stupid story.

Sadly, the target audience was born after 1990....
Rudyjax
AG
amercer said:

Unthought Known said:

Sadly, the target audience was born after 1990....

Really?
amercer
AG
I'm half joking, but 15-27 year olds must be a big target for any sci fi / action flick.
Dro07
AG
Same target audience that took in stranger things.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yeah I'm not worried about the 80's references. Geek culture is super popular nowadays. If they don't Nickelodeon it up too much, this has a chance to be wildly successful.
Rudyjax
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Yeah I'm not worried about the 80's references. Geek culture is super popular nowadays. If they don't Nickelodeon it up too much, this has a chance to be wildly successful.

I know 80s geek culture. I don't know modern.
DB Coach
AG
So where the hell is the trailer???!!
TCTTS
AG
Comic-Con exclusive now. Tomorrow. Between 1:30 and 3:30 Central. Should be online at some point during that window.
DB Coach
AG
Thanks! I picked up this book last week just because of the mad props from this and another thread. I'm very excited about this one and can't wait to see Spielberg work his magic.
Bunk Moreland
TCTTS said:

aggie1906 said:

You have to understand how hard it is to write/structure a movie. For countless reasons, most books have to be changed for the screen. It's not just some ego trip on the part of the filmmakers.

Besides, Spielberg already did basically the same thing with a little movie called Jurassic Park. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong.

I agree completely with you....but having read the book, let me tell you if there was ever a book written to be adapted, it's this one.

Im not happy to read that news, but I'll hoping that quote is a bit off and what really happens is he adds some filler sections that serve secondary to the content of the book.

I also do agree if you did a strict copy that you'd need more source material to fill it out for a 2 hour movie, so that's what I'm hoping this will end up being.

It isn't souring me from seeing the movie or anything though. Still have very high hopes.
TCTTS
AG
Spielberg takes the stage at Hall H. Footage (hopefully) dropping any minute now...
TCTTS
AG
Footage just slayed. Twitter is losing its collective mind. Surely it'll be up here soon...

https://www.youtube.com/user/WarnerBrosPictures/videos
Sex Panther
AG
****, I'm so pumped
TCTTS
AG
NColoradoAG
Man that looks great. You can see some of the adaptations already. I assume they subbed the iron giant for someones robot they get after the second gate.

That final battle may be epic
Sex Panther
AG
So awesome...

Spotted:

Deadpool/Deathstroke?
Harley Quinn
Freddie Kreuger
Voldemort on roids??
Iron Giant
Tron Light Cycle?
Delorean

anything else?
TCTTS
AG
Apparently that Light Cycle thing is from Akira (which WB owns and is developing into a movie) and not Tron, but I've never read the former, so I'm not 100% sure. Unless there's a Tron cycle as well that I missed.
TCTTS
AG
From my buddy I mentioned a few days ago, via text, who has been working on bits and pieces...

"This isn't even half the stuff I've seen. If anything these are the okay parts."
NColoradoAG
Sex Panther said:

Voldemort on roids??

Is that Aech?
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

Apparently that Light Cycle thing is from Akira (which WB owns and is developing into a movie) and not Tron, but I've never read the former, so I'm not 100% sure. Unless there's a Tron cycle as well that I missed.

Oh duh... How'd I miss that. I love Akira.

Definitely what it's from. They even did the most famous scene:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.