Stephen Spielberg to Direct Ready Player One!!!

103,241 Views | 804 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ShawnTxAg
tamusc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like the stacks that he starts out in are in Columbus instead of Oklahoma City as well.
Ag Since 83
AG
I assume they just set the whole thing in Columbus to save time. The story of his fake identity and cross country journey would be cool, but Spielberg already did something similar in Minority Report.

Although, depending on how they do the third act, they might need the fake ID anyway.
hurleyag
AG
wangus12 said:

One thing I just noticed in the trailer. It certainly looks like Wade and Art3mis meet in person much earlier in the film than in the book.
I'm thinking it is still close to the 3rd act when they meet in person. Instead of going to Og's mansion for the final battle with the Sixers a the castle, they set up in that warehouse and thats when he meets her.
wangus12
AG
Looks like Aech's basement may be Aech's garage in the movie based on a virtual reality video I saw that was made for the movie.

Also just realized the Aech's "true" character is seen standing behind Wade at the end of that 2nd trailer

I've been bored at work so I watch the trailer on slow motion to pick things up and down.

They show the scoreboard with only Parzival on it and he has 2 keys already. Will be interesting to see how they handle that.

Looks like he stays in his van after the stacks blow up because he is there during Og's party and he shown with two different haptic suits.

Also a cool fan made poster

Old Main
AG
Just saw a TV preview showing a release date of March 20th... less than 2 months away - can't wait!
TCTTS
AG
Hype overload...

TCTTS
AG
And the new TV spot featuring the theme from 2001 sure does give the vibe the Spielberg might just be swinging for the fences with this one...

TCTTS
AG
By the way, is that orchestral/symphonic version of "Take On Me" something that's been around or do you think it's something new just for the movie? Because it's amazing and I need it.
wangus12
AG
I've definitely never heard an orchestral version of it, but it is awesome. Looked around on Youtube. Several covers, but nothing definitive.

Just finished re-reading the book and have been following along with the Hunt since there have been several Easter Eggs dropped by James Halliday instagram/twitter accounts.

Join the Quest

Gunters Lounge Subreddit

I'm really stoked for this movie, even with the changes they've made.
wangus12
AG
These clues were posted on Reddit, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

aTmLoKi
AG
Here we go! We knew it was only a matter of time before they did some sort of quest/tie-in gearing up for the movie.
wangus12
AG
It started back in December with the 2nd trailer drop.

Here is a breakdown of the clues so far

Quote:

2017-07-22: The hunt began when the SDCC Teaser Trailer was released and the first QR code was found leading to JointheQuest.io.

2017-12-09: The HallidaysGhost Twitter account liked a tweet by Ernie Cline featuring a comparison between the Ready Player One poster and an Original ET poster.

2017-12-10: The first official trailer was released at an Ernest Cline Q&A (followed by a Goonies screening) in Austin, TX. This trailer also contained a QR code, this time leading to JointheQuest.io/HallidaysGhost. The PDF at that URL contained a hidden bit of binary which revealed half of a scrambled password.

2017-12-10: The HallidaysGhost Reddit account posted WHAT IS THE QUEST? with an image/article on James Halliday containing hidden binary which revealed the other half of a scrambled password.

2017-12-10: When translated/unscrambled, the two binary codes produced the phrase "GUNTERS NEVER SAY DIE!" When entered into the newly unveiled password field on JointheQuest.io, the Are You Ready?/Egg video is uncovered. A frame by frame analysis of the video reveals the phrase "WHAT IS THE QUEST?"

2017-12-25: The Halliday's Ghost accounts on Twitter, Instagram, and Reddit posted a video featuring Gizmo in a Santa hat, holding a present with the copper key on the front, dancing with the words "HAPPY HALLIDAYS." The video is silent, but as u/ijaneyourobotpointed out, in Gremlins (1984) Gizmo dances to exactly one song: I'm Ready by Fats Domino.

The Halliday's Ghost Facebook account accepted all pending friend requests from gunters on this date.

2018-01-08: During the Intel Keynote Speech, the "Aech's Garage" VR Experience was unveiled, where users can explore the location through Sansar, both with and without VR equipment. So far a QR Code has been discovered within the environment. ( Credit to /u/nabakin ) It leads to JointheQuest.io.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Hype overload...

Wow. I got chills watching this, as a Spielberg fanboy. And a great use of the ET score.
hurleyag
AG
Saw a TV spot this week during one of the football games and it clearly showed Arty's birth mark can't find the video of it, but I guess they aren't worried about that being a spoiler? In other trailers it wasn't there.
MW03
AG
It's been said a thousand times already, but if anyone can pull this off, it's Spielberg. Might be the incredibly rare midnight showing for me.

I compare how excited i am for this one against how much i was dreading the Dark Tower (still haven't seen it) and it's night and day.
Dro07
AG
I am excited about this movie I just wish they would have done a trilogy. I feel like it's too much for just one movie.
wangus12
AG
As much as I would have liked this, I think it showed with Hunger Games/The Hobbit/Divergent that stretching books out is a tough thing to do. RPO is just over 300 pages of writing. It'd be tough to stretch it and expect audiences to continue to show up.

Gotta trust Spielberg and Cline to make a sound film.
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed. They definitely could have really gone deep with some of the characters if they had done, say, two movies. Would have made some of the character reveals in the 2nd half more dramatic probably. But overall it's probably a much better decision to modify the book and give us one movie.

Just hope it's a really great movie!
amercer
AG
8 episodes on HBO? Hell yes.
2 movies? Eh, probably a bad idea.
double aught
AG
wangus12 said:

It started back in December with the 2nd trailer drop.

Here is a breakdown of the clues so far

Quote:

2017-07-22: The hunt began when the SDCC Teaser Trailer was released and the first QR code was found leading to JointheQuest.io.

2017-12-09: The HallidaysGhost Twitter account liked a tweet by Ernie Cline featuring a comparison between the Ready Player One poster and an Original ET poster.

2017-12-10: The first official trailer was released at an Ernest Cline Q&A (followed by a Goonies screening) in Austin, TX. This trailer also contained a QR code, this time leading to JointheQuest.io/HallidaysGhost. The PDF at that URL contained a hidden bit of binary which revealed half of a scrambled password.

2017-12-10: The HallidaysGhost Reddit account posted WHAT IS THE QUEST? with an image/article on James Halliday containing hidden binary which revealed the other half of a scrambled password.

2017-12-10: When translated/unscrambled, the two binary codes produced the phrase "GUNTERS NEVER SAY DIE!" When entered into the newly unveiled password field on JointheQuest.io, the Are You Ready?/Egg video is uncovered. A frame by frame analysis of the video reveals the phrase "WHAT IS THE QUEST?"

2017-12-25: The Halliday's Ghost accounts on Twitter, Instagram, and Reddit posted a video featuring Gizmo in a Santa hat, holding a present with the copper key on the front, dancing with the words "HAPPY HALLIDAYS." The video is silent, but as u/ijaneyourobotpointed out, in Gremlins (1984) Gizmo dances to exactly one song: I'm Ready by Fats Domino.

The Halliday's Ghost Facebook account accepted all pending friend requests from gunters on this date.

2018-01-08: During the Intel Keynote Speech, the "Aech's Garage" VR Experience was unveiled, where users can explore the location through Sansar, both with and without VR equipment. So far a QR Code has been discovered within the environment. ( Credit to /u/nabakin ) It leads to JointheQuest.io.

I don't have the time, patience, or intelligence to partake in this, but I think it's awesome that it's happening.
PatAg
AG
Damn that trailer looks good
Sea Pony 07
AG
There was a orchestral version of it in one of the final episodes of chuck. The vocals are not great (intentionally), but it's available on amazon or search youtube for jeffster take on me and you will find it, but that's the closet version I'm aware of.
TCTTS
AG
Thanks.
hph6203
AG
Yup, this story doesn't easily segment into two movies that would carry the anticipation for a year, but definitely could be segmented into TV episodes that you have to wait a week for.
TCTTS
AG
So, basically, instead of just the night of Thursday, March 29, we'll be able to see it that afternoon as well. Trying to squeeze a few more bucks out of that Easter Weekend release...

exitone
AG
TCTTS said:

By the way, is that orchestral/symphonic version of "Take On Me" something that's been around or do you think it's something new just for the movie? Because it's amazing and I need it.
I'm a closet A-ha fan and have never heard it.... this is something new.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it definitely seems to be. Hope it's used in-movie, as it's awesome.
MW03
AG
Check out a group called The Brooklyn Duo.

There's another band called The Jungle Punks Hipster Orchestra that did it as well.

I'd bet both sell singles on iTunes
wangus12
AG
Hell I may take the day off so I can get in and see it.
jr15aggie
AG
Take On Me is my absolute favorite 80s song! That was awesome.

And lol, even the violins are struggling to hit that high note in the 2nd video. I feel their pain!
TCTTS
AG
hurleyag
AG
First look at Daito and Shoto. Also looks like they aren't having the Aech reveal be a big suprise.
tamusc
AG
Really like the overall look of the poster, but not a fan of the various character reveals on it, though I guess they're obvious from the casting choices.
Dro07
AG
hurleyag said:

Also looks like they aren't having the Aech reveal be a big suprise.
I think the will just go with it as is and have her as a trans or something like that so she self identifies as a boy in the Oasis.
wangus12
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.