Stephen Spielberg to Direct Ready Player One!!!

100,488 Views | 804 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ShawnTxAg
AgHawkeye
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Does Aech = H?

Audiobook listener, so I never saw it spelled.

Got me too.
CoolaidWade
AG
quote:
I got Last Starfighter as well from Armada
But when they give the synopsis to the book and its obviously "the last starfighter" it ends with "....sounds familiar?". It's obviously playing on something about that movie. Somehow it's going to rip that movie off without really ripping it off.
Saxsoon
AG
Yeah I agree. Will probably lampshade the whole thing
R0GUE
AG
I looked it up online and Cline said in an interview that its intentionally based on Last Starfighter and the twist is that the guy who gets picked to defend earth has actually SEEN The Last Starfighter. So its all very self-aware. Just like RP1 I'm sure its a tribute more than a rip-off.
PatAg
AG
I actually imagined someone more like Michael Moore as ogden.
heddleston
AG
yeah i picture an old dude who has a real IDAF vibe for Ogden. I know Bridges is the Dude, but i defintely feel a more slovenly fat dude type could fit the role better. I agree with the John Goodman/Michael Moore idea, i think that would work
nai06
AG
quote:
quote:
Also, apparently Ernest Cline hid Easter eggs in the actual text version of the book and held a contest for folks to win a Delorean like the one featured in the book.
Yup, for the final challenge you had to set a World Record on one of a set of pre-chosen video games. The guy who won, did it with Joust.

man that was so much fun. I actually tried my hand at the last challenge on the arcade version but still came no where close to the guy that won.
TCTTS
AG
Haven't read it myself yet, but I just got the latest draft of the script by Zak Penn if anyone wants to read it. Things will no doubt change/evolve a bit, but it's apparently the draft that got Spielberg on board. Still don't know if I want to spoil this one, but I'd at least love to hear how it compares to the book.

Email my spam account: theohoff20@gmail.com
nai06
AG
sent!
TCTTS
AG
Scripts have been sent.
tamusc
AG
Just emailed you as well.
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha.
tamusc
AG
Much obliged!
TexAgBolter
AG
Thanks!
Wade_3
AG
Ok, so I read the treatment and I have to say...I did not like it at all.

I felt like the only thing it shared with the book was the title and characters with the same names. I understand that bringing the book to life on the screen, the same as it is written, would be impossible, but I felt like that script was nothing like the book at all.

It read similar to how World War Z got translated to film.

SPOILERS

a couple of things

In the script, I HATED how they had OG as the character that gave Parzival the magic quarter. To me, that completely defeated the purpose of what the author was trying to get across with that part of the book.

Second, the fact haqt Ar3mis and Z meet way earlier, hook and are "rebels" made absolutely no sense to me and didn't help the story, IMO.

Finally, taking out Daito's murder and setting up the ending for sequels in the Oasis went completely against the point of the book, in my opinion.

END SPOILERS

Anybody else read it?
amercer
AG
HOLY CRAP THAT WAS A FUN BOOK!!! (Just finished it)

Thanks to texags (this thread) for making me aware of it.

Don't see how they could do the movie, but I'll hope for the best. If nothing else, the plot is ripe for a bunch of 80's montage scenes
easttexasaggie04
AG
I loved this audiobook so much. I listened to it while driving all night to Colorado last summer while my wife and daughter slept. It was nice to listen straight through with pretty much zero interruptions, it really sucked me in. This will be a movie I'll have to see in theaters. I can't think of a better director than Spielberg to direct it either.

Cline has another book coming out this summer called Armada.
TCTTS
AG
Is this good/cool casting, if true?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/72651
TCTTS
AG
Also, for those worried about the script being too different from the book...

COOL LASER FALCON
That would be awesome. That character reminded me of an eccentric Steve Jobs. Wilder could be awesome.
TCTTS
AG
Finally, I forgot to mention this here last week, but the movie was given an official release date of December 15, 2017.
TCTTS
AG
Hmmm. Think I'm with Devin on this one...

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/08/10/gener-wilder-in-talks-for-unspecified-spielberg-movie
COOL LASER FALCON
Well, in the book he's not THAT eccentric. I could see the concern though. Funny I actually never made that connection.
Saxsoon
AG
Way too on the nose and why would Halliday program it so that he is older. I was pretty certain scenes actually had him young
Coppell97
AG
That's good stuff. I recently read the book and really enjoyed it! Looking forward to the movie and hope it does the book justice
Sex Panther
AG
How could you not want to see Gene Wilder back on screen? Especially in something like this, even if it is really on the nose... I'd love that.

I was thinking Michael J. Fox would be a really great choice for Halladay as well, as long as he was able to of course.
Saxsoon
AG
Ooh, I like Fox.

GCRanger
AG
I have Og pictured as a mix of the Dude, Wozniak, and the pink bunny skippered professor/dean in real genius.

Now that I think about it, a chubby Val Kilmer a la Chris Knight might with as Og.

I really want to see the crystal key castle battle with giant robots and thousands of different avatars and ships on the big screen.

GCRanger
AG
Dp

Saxsoon
AG
Olivia Coke as Artemis has been cast
TCTTS
AG
http://deadline.com/2016/02/tye-sheridan-steven-spielberg-ready-player-one-ernest-cline-1201708720/
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
http://deadline.com/2016/02/tye-sheridan-steven-spielberg-ready-player-one-ernest-cline-1201708720/

I dunno, he's been good in the things I've seen him in. But he doesn't strike me as Wade.
Bunk Moreland
Agree. I'm sure it'll be fine but Sheridan isn't close to what I had imagined as Wade when I read it
CoolaidWade
AG
quote:
Agree. I'm sure it'll be fine but Sheridan isn't close to what I had imagined as Wade when I read it
Actually he may be the exact opposite of how I pictured Wade. He needs to eat a few pizzas before they start filming.
BassCowboy33
If it doesn't get an R rating, I'm afraid of what it'll be. The Hunger Games films were completely watered down, so that teenage girls wouldn't throw up and cry. So, do we have any idea if they'll "Blade Runner" this or "Nicholas Sparks" it?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.