Stephen Spielberg to Direct Ready Player One!!!

100,693 Views | 804 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ShawnTxAg
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
+1 on the Wheaton-read audiobook.

Awesome.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
quote:
As someone with zero knowledge of anything about this, can someone explain where all the video game and tv properties come into the story?

In the future the world sucks and everyone spends their time hanging out in a virtual world called OASIS. (Think the Internet episode of Futurama if you've ever seen that but on a galactic scale almost)

Basically websites are now planets that you can fly around to and they have entire ones dedicated to video games, movies, etc... The plot is the OASIS founder has a contest where he'll give his company to anyone who can find these Easter eggs he's hidden somewhere in this online universe. He's obsessed with the 80's so the protagonist spends his time looking at places dedicated to 80's games, movies and pop culture... and it is a lot.
It's also similar to the Video Game episode of Community, where they had to beat a virtual reality game to win control of Pierce's dad's company. In fact i feel like that episode was a parody of RP1.
fig96
AG
Good stuff, thanks guys. Sounds like it'll be worth a read.
Saxsoon
AG
And some of the knowledge is straight up obscure from the 80s. It is not constant Donkey Kong/Mario references for video games.

And probably the most overused phrase in the whole book.

John Hughes Teen Movies
Hagen95
AG
Loved the book. Hope they can make it work.
95_Aggie
AG
What's the last decent movie Spielberg directed?
R0GUE
AG
Tintin was pretty good.

Oh, and that little movie about Lincoln. That didn't get much acclaim. lol
TCTTS
AG
quote:
What's the last decent movie Spielberg directed?

Seriously? How about Lincoln. Look, I get that War Horse isn't the greatest movie of all time, and that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was crap, but it's laughable to try and turn this into any kind of concern. Spielberg is our greatest living director. Period. You literally could not ask for more when it comes to a project like this. Or any project for that matter.
TCTTS
AG
Beat me to it, Rogue.
Saxsoon
AG
Lincoln was amazing and I hate historical movies.

And Warhorse wasn't that bad from what I can remember.
Wade_3
AG
Just started listening to the Audiobook for a 2nd time (its 15 hours and change, btw). Such an awesome, awesome book!

I am super stoked for the movie (and the video game that will follow...I think I would even play that).

I could see them making this a 2.5-3 hour movie and being able to fit everything in. There are some sub-plots they can cut out...

***SPOILERS***

They could get rid of the "exploring his sexuality" stuff in the book.

They could also get rid of the parts about him trying to get back into shape (or, get really clever and do a montage of it with "Eye of the tiger" playing in the background).

They could also take out some of the sixers stuff and even get rid of his aunts family stuff in the stacks (Maybe have them do that stuff to his old lady friend, instead of his family). I bet they take some stuff out in the 3rd act, prior to the major battle happening (the stuff he did with Johnny-5)

bottom line, they could streamline this movie to make it watchable in one sitting and still make it AWESOME!!!!

***END SPOILERS***

TCTTS,

Dude, read the book...you will love it!

Also, apparently Ernest Cline hid Easter eggs in the actual text version of the book and held a contest for folks to win a Delorean like the one featured in the book.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
Also, apparently Ernest Cline hid Easter eggs in the actual text version of the book and held a contest for folks to win a Delorean like the one featured in the book.
Yup, for the final challenge you had to set a World Record on one of a set of pre-chosen video games. The guy who won, did it with Joust.
benMath08
AG
quote:
quote:
Yup, for the final challenge you had to set a World Record on one of a set of pre-chosen video games. The guy who won, did it with Joust.
I wonder how much they could make on repeat viewings if they did the same thing with the movie...
dave99ag
AG
I wouldn't want anyone else doing this film. Amazing book!
KidDoc
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I wonder how much they could make on repeat viewings if they did the same thing with the movie...
If Ernie has any say in the matter he will have a movie easter egg hunt.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
La Fours
AG
I can't wait to see this. I need to read the book again.
MidnightYell2003
AG
This is exciting! Who would y'all want to see as the actors? I feel like I could see an 'aged' Jeff Bridges play Ogden Morrow
Saxsoon
AG
Good choice. I always saw John Goodman
Philo B 93
I wanted to like this book so bad. Its been a year since I finished it, but I still remember the confused dissappointment as I laid down after the last page. The book to me was pretty much a mixture of "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson, "The Running Man" and "Hunger Games". Maybe if I was still a fan of Joust, which I was obsessed with for about a week in 1983.....

I recently watched "Fanboys" which was written by Ernest Cline and Adam Goldberg (The Goldbergs). I was expecting a great geek adventure road trip and pretty much got "Detroit Rock City 2".

Finally, I was pumped to hear about Ernest Cline's new book out this July called "Armada". Wow! Look it up and see if you can guess the inspriration for that book. I'll be surprised if there isn't a plagarism suit filed.

I'm a little surprised Spielberg is doing this one. Maybe he's like me, he really loves "the idea" of it.

R0GUE
AG
quote:
I wanted to like this book so bad. Its been a year since I finished it, but I still remember the confused dissappointment as I laid down after the last page. The book to me was pretty much a mixture of "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson, "The Running Man" and "Hunger Games". Maybe if I was still a fan of Joust, which I was obsessed with for about a week in 1983.....

I recently watched "Fanboys" which was written by Ernest Cline and Adam Goldberg (The Goldbergs). I was expecting a great geek adventure road trip and pretty much got "Detroit Rock City 2".

Finally, I was pumped to hear about Ernest Cline's new book out this July called "Armada". Wow! Look it up and see if you can guess the inspriration for that book. I'll be surprised if there isn't a plagarism suit filed.

I'm a little surprised Spielberg is doing this one. Maybe he's like me, he really loves "the idea" of it.

What exactly did you not like about RP1? Did you think it was not well written? Did you not like the characters?

Haven't seen Fanboys so I can't comment about that one.

As to Armada, I'll give you that the synopsis sounds pretty similar to The Last Starfighter orTron but I don't see that as a big deal. Accusing it of plagiarism before the book has even released is going a little too far don't you think?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I'm not understanding the difference. It's a geek version of Detroit Rock City, which is a rock adventure road trip. So, how was it not what you expected?
Saxsoon
AG
I got Last Starfighter as well from Armada
Kyle98
AG
quote:
I feel like I could see an 'aged' Jeff Bridges play Ogden Morrow
That's exactly who I was thinking of when I was reading the book.
AgLaw
AG
quote:
imagine a virtual reality game meets a love letter to the 80s meets Willy Wonka
I know absolutely nothing about this movie/story/book, but how can you not be interested with this description.
Philo B 93
quote:
What exactly did you not like about RP1? Did you think it was not well written? Did you not like the characters?

My expectations were entirely too high. I was expecting "Star Wars". The book felt like a literary version of a rap song that uses a cool guitar riff from a great rock song as hook. You like the song because of the riff, but really you love the original song. In RP1, the 'riff' was 80s nostalgia.

Ice Ice Baby was a neat song, but I wouldn't call Vanilla a great song writer.

Ernest Cline is good at what he does. I'll see the movie in IMAX, and I'll buy Armada, no doubt. I love that 80s stuff.

"Sure, its not 1985 right now, but who knows what tomorrow brings?" - Homer Simpson
Wade_3
AG
quote:
This is exciting! Who would y'all want to see as the actors? I feel like I could see an 'aged' Jeff Bridges play Ogden Morrow
This is a pretty tough question since all of the actors would need to be (or look) 18-20 years old.

I wonder if they would use different actors for the real life folks and the avatars (I would love to see that).

Aech- I think Channing Tatum would be great as the avatar

Daito and Shoto- Masi Oka and James Kyson (Heroes reunited!)

Art3mis- Felicity Jones

James Haliday- For some reason, I picture a younger Chevy Chase

Nolan Sorrento- Kevin Spacey

Wade- No idea...
Sex Panther
AG
Could see Miles Teller being at the top of the list for Wade if it was being made now. He'll be over 30 when this shoots though.

When is this going to get made anyway?
Sex Panther
AG
Also Precious is all but a lock to be in this movie
TCTTS
AG
quote:
When is this going to get made anyway?

Spielberg just wrapped Bridge of Spies with Tom Hanks, which hits October 16, and he's about to start shooting The BFG, which comes out July 1, 2016. So, at the earliest, because he can turn around movies so fast, this MIGHT hit holiday 2016, but I doubt it. My best guess right now is summer 2017. Debating on adding it to The Projection List, though, since Spielberg was also set to direct both Interstellar and American Sniper, both of which he obviously eventually left, and could very well do the same here. That said, his commitment here does seem a bit more concrete than those.
MidnightYell2003
AG
quote:
quote:
This is a pretty tough question since all of the actors would need to be (or look) 18-20 years old.

I wonder if they would use different actors for the real life folks and the avatars (I would love to see that).

Aech- I think Channing Tatum would be great as the avatar

Daito and Shoto- Masi Oka and James Kyson (Heroes reunited!)

Art3mis- Felicity Jones

James Haliday- For some reason, I picture a younger Chevy Chase

Nolan Sorrento- Kevin Spacey

Wade- No idea...

I love the idea of Masi Oka and James Kyson!
KidDoc
AG
http://www.mtv.com/news/2116324/ready-player-one-fantasy-casting/
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Also Precious is all but a lock to be in this movie

Pretty much
jeffk
AG
Does Aech = H?

Audiobook listener, so I never saw it spelled.
Saxsoon
AG
Yeah I was surprised as well From the audiobook but aech is h.
MidnightYell2003
AG
I like that list from the MTV article. I wonder if Ernest Cline meant to have Ogden Morrow be portrayed as Jeff Bridges since the article called it as well...

quote:
If you're looking for someone to play an earthy dude who opted out of the big game to retire to Oregon but still throw the sickest party in OASIS look no further than Jeff Bridges. The dude abides, even in OASIS.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.