***** Formula 1 - 2024 Season *****

81,925 Views | 1070 Replies | Last: 35 min ago by Gladiator 96
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Probably an unpopular opinion but there are now so many race weekends I am ok with Monaco being a boring race. I enjoy the scenery and pageantry and the excitement of qualifying. The race tends to have a red flag or two that can make things a bit more exciting. Despite it being a no pass track I think Formula 1 would be less of a sport without it. I hope some day to have enough money to go to a race weekend there
tailgatetimer10
AG
There's many better ways to run a parade than having a fake race
Gladiator 96
AG
That's fair. Some years it's more exciting than others. This year, all the excitement happened on Lap 1 with the Checo Haas disaster. The issue was then that a lot of the teams used the red flag to change to the final set of tires, not needing a pit stop after that. At that point, the race turned into a tire management snooze fest.

Most of the Monaco track excitement is during qualifying.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7eOBLKPLIw/?igsh=N3NxMXJtejkydXFv

Mom calling Charles home after playing outside all day.
AustinAg2K
numetalbizkitaggie said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7eOBLKPLIw/?igsh=N3NxMXJtejkydXFv

Mom calling Charles home after playing outside all day.

If I were decked out head to toe in Ferrari gear and rode my bike around my neighborhood, I'm a loser. Charles Leclerc does it, and somehow it's badass...
ReloadAg
AG
Is it still a forgone conclusion Max and Red Bull are going to run away with the championship this year? Things are really tightening up after the last few races.

The Marksman
AG
Things are definitely getting interesting. I see Ferrari taking the constructor's unless Checo can get it together. The drivers' is more interesting. If people other than Max can keep winning races, then things could get really interesting.
Gladiator 96
AG
The gap has definitely shrunk as compared to last year. Ferrari and McLaren have improved to the point where they are able to challenge Max. Checo is inconsistent so constructors is vulnerable.
La Fours
AG
I hope it stays competitive and goes down to the wire.
ac04
ac04
ugh, double post. haven't had one of those in a while

La Fours
AG
Dayum.
Max Power
AG
The Marksman said:

Things are definitely getting interesting. I see Ferrari taking the constructor's unless Checo can get it together. The drivers' is more interesting. If people other than Max can keep winning races, then things could get really interesting.
Not just that but McLaren has 2 drivers that can get on the podium as well. Every time all of them finish in front of Perez teams are going to get closer to Red Bull. There's still a lot of races left but it definitely feels like Ferrari could take the constructors for the first time in a while.

Regarding Monaco as a race, I just don't like it. It's not a good track for modern race cars, it's too tight. I don't know that it'll ever leave for a couple of reasons. First of which being history of course, but when the top 10 finishers of the race are identical to the order of the qualifiers it illustrates the issues with that track. The second issue is how many drivers and race figures have a "residence" there due to it being a tax haven. F1 will always have ties to Monaco, even if it's a bad track. Norris at one point was 20 seconds ahead of Russell. He could have boxed and put on soft tires and been faster than everyone else out there for the rest of the race, but since the drivers in front never boxed it was going to be near impossible to get around them anway. That was when I realized it was pointless.
jorgerr96
Wheatables02
PJYoung
AG
aggie4231 said:

Smaller cars

Make it a one off race with different, much smaller cars. That's really the only way it will be entertaining instead of follow the leader.
Gladiator 96
AG
One thought I had was to do a race with only C5 softs available. Tyre management wouldn't be leaned as much but you would have to do at least one maybe two stops. Drivers would be encouraged to race more and manage tyres less.
Twisted Helix
"Formula One owner Liberty Media is looking for a hosting fee increase from the organisers of the Monaco Grand Prix in order to extend its contract beyond 2025, according to Bloomberg.

Currently, the circuit pays US$20 million per season, according to Statista. This is the lowest hosting fee of any of the tracks on the Formula One calendar and considerably below the likes of Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Azerbaijan and Qatar, which all pay north of US$50 million a year."

I think the current deal was signed in 2022. It will be interesting to see if they can get it extended. I'd be ok with it going away. It's just not an interesting race anymore.
PJYoung
AG
Simple rule change for Monaco. Softs only. Would probably help.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the-simple-rule-change-that-could-make-the-monaco-gp-exciting-again/10616726/
Swollen Thumb
AG
Monaco is a time trial, not a race. They should just hand out points after qualifying. It's literally just a high-dollar car parade.
nai06
AG
This is how I would adjust the track layout if I could. It's still really tight but would give you some longer straights.

• Still a short track at 3.67km (current is 3.33km)
  • 21 turns (up from 19)
  • Some longer straights
  • Turns are a little more gradual on the back side allowing driver to carry more speed through the turns
  • Pit lane stays the same
  • Most of the iconic turns an features remain

Really all you are doing is replacing Boulevard Albert 1er with Avenue du Port and Rue Grimaldi. That being said, its still a really tight track. Grimaldi is not really wide and a lot of work would have to be done to protect the businesses on that street. I am sure people on Albert 1er would also raise a stink about being cut out of the race.

WC87
AG
Haas shutting down their NASCAR team.

The Marksman
AG
WC87 said:

Haas shutting down their NASCAR team.

Sell the F1 team to Andretti already
SydB92
AG
No we need more access for drivers.
jorgerr96
Italian media is saying Kimi beat Russell at Silverstone and Mercedes is now strongly looking at him
NewOldAg
AG
Has anyone ever seen one driver not given upgrades for 30% of a season while the other gets routine upgrades?

Gladiator 96
AG
Considering how Williams has been managing their parts inventory on an Excel spreadsheet, nothing surprises me.
NETAG
They may just figure Logan is going to damage the car in one way or another during a race weekend, so might as well use up all the old parts first.
WC87
AG
NETAG said:

They may just figure Logan is going to damage the car in one way or another during a race weekend, so might as well use up all the old parts first.
this
ChrisHansen
AG
No way Andretti would be able to compete in F1. Look at the outstanding job one of the longest standing constructors is able to deliver week in and week out.
Gladiator 96
AG
Gladiator 96
AG
Use this compound next year for Monaco and ONLY this one. No hards. No mediums.

The Marksman
AG
Gladiator 96 said:

I really like Ocon, but this whole thread of his tweets came off as super whiny. He almost wrecked his teammate for no reason and ruined his team's chance for double points, but calling that out hurt his feelings apparently. Dude should have just kept quiet and put it behind him instead of crying on X.
SydB92
AG
Agreed
tk for tu juan

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.