***** Formula 1 - 2024 Season *****

135,242 Views | 1586 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Gladiator 96
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What a mess McLaren made of their best weekend.
Crispin Torque
Lando and Piastri look cool after the race and I think Lando ultimately gave the position up as good will towards Oscar. He is going to need Oscar one day in a championship battle and he knows it. All vitriol and ire should be directed at the strategy employed by the team.
SydB92
AG
Well hopefully those 7pts don't bite Lando/McLaren in the butt come years end.
ktownag08
AG
McLaren messed up with they didn't bring Piastri in first. Had they done that they would have avoided the drama.

Any idea why Lando came in first?
SydB92
AG
Said they wanted to keep Lando safe from Hamilton/Max
Matsui
AG
Now that was a fun f1 race
Gladiator 96
AG
tailgatetimer10
AG
Ok maybe Max will have a reality check that he's complacent as **** and needs to actually out perform again. I'm annoyed Lando didn't get the points to close the gap further with Max in the drivers championship
The Marksman
AG
Max and Lando just showed a lot of their true character. I have no respect for the two of them anymore.
gabehcoud
MAROON said:

How does Piastei celebrant this? His first win was literally given to him. Has he ever given up a win for Lando?
My thoughts exactly. Lando should be pissed and Piastri embarrassed. Good drama for tv though!
Bunk Moreland
gabehcoud said:

MAROON said:

How does Piastei celebrant this? His first win was literally given to him. Has he ever given up a win for Lando?
My thoughts exactly. Lando should be pissed and Piastri embarrassed.

Why? His own team undercut him with the pit strategy. Piastri made the best driving move of the day on the start. Had the team pitted him first he never loses the lead and Lando never sniffs him.
The Marksman
AG
gabehcoud said:

MAROON said:

My thoughts exactly. Lando should be pissed and Piastri embarrassed. Good drama for tv though!
Terrible, terrible takes. If McLaren pitted Oscar first(which is normal since he was ahead of Lando) then he would've smoked Lando and won easily. Instead, they pitted Lando before Oscar, thereby undercutting Oscar and putting Lando out ahead. Therefore, it was through no fault of Oscar's that Lando was ahead and it was the obvious, proper thing to do to swap the drivers as McLaren had messed up the pit stops and needed to rectify their mistake. This is not at all uncommon.
Swollen Thumb
AG
Disagree. Lando was pulling away after the pit and put 6 minutes into piastri. Way more than the undercut cost.
La Fours
AG
numetalbizkitaggie
AG

Charlie Conway
Max has every right to be angry with the team, everyone knows it's hard to overtake there and they let him get undercut twice so he could have a tire advantage I guess?
tk for tu juan
If Lando did the swap earlier, he had the pace to pass his teammate and win. It was funny hearing the team push every angle to get Lando to slow down like a Mom pleading to the oldest son to let the younger brother win.
PJYoung
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

gabehcoud said:

MAROON said:

My thoughts exactly. Lando should be pissed and Piastri embarrassed.

Why? His own team undercut him with the pit strategy. Piastri made the best driving move of the day on the start. Had the team pitted him first he never loses the lead and Lando never sniffs him.

Exactly this. Seems like a lot of newer fans don't understand.
Goldie Wilson
tk for tu juan said:

If Lando did the swap earlier, he had the pace to pass his teammate and win. It was funny hearing the team push every angle to get Lando to slow down like a Mom pleading to the oldest son to let the younger brother win.
Yup this was my thought as well. If Lando got out of the way earlier, he still had plenty of time to pass Oscar. My hunch is that McLaren would have let them race. But instead he decided to throw a little tantrum and ended up playing himself
tk for tu juan
For all we know, maybe Lando has been complaining in team meetings about the them being conservative on tire management (max tire temps, "unacceptable speed") and wanted to prove a point.
Bunk Moreland
IMO it was great fodder but worked out the best for everyone. Lando didn't throw a tantrum imo. He waited until the race was rock solid 1-2 for McLaren then gave it up and voiced his frustrations during the drama. Lando ends up as the team player who's the absolute alpha, Oscar is fully committed and now will pay it forward for Lando and the team more times than one, and they get the 1-2 and we move on.
PJYoung
AG
I didn't realize that RB's big upgrade was this weekend.

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsports/2024/07/21/verstappen-leads-concerns-about-red-bull-upgrades/
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Binotto has been hired as Audi F1 CEO and Andreas Seidl has been let go.
Poot
I watched the replay last night and I didn't see anything controversial with the Piastri/Lando deal. McLaren made good calls on strategy in securing the 1-2 finish. They could have rolled the dice and put P2 in jeopardy by servicing Lando second… but they didn't do that.

Admittedly, Piastri made it more painful by getting his doors blown off by Lando after the second pit stop and having it be a 5+ second spread… but it was the plan from the jump.

McLaren's car(s) look REALLY good. WOW.
htxag09
AG
I'd say the broadcast/audience hearing McLaren pleading with Lando every lap to think of the team and swap positions was a bit of a negative for McLaren.....definitely didn't seem they had control of the situation.

I agree with the above posters. Lando was throwing a tantrum and/or trying to prove a point. He was directly ignoring the team orders of being conservative in a couple corners due to tire degradation, even though they were likely lies. He didn't even respond for like 10 minutes.

Yes, he ended up doing the right thing. Disagree that he was only waiting until it 1-2 was locked up. Had he done it earlier they likely would have let them fight for the position.
jorgerr96

Logan and James are not on speaking terms anymore and is expected he will be gone from F1
Gladiator 96
AG
Think after Spa will be it?
WC87
AG
NM
CoachRTM
AG
I look forward to watching Logan in IndyCar next year.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
CoachRTM said:

I look forward to watching Logan in IndyCar next year.

I think he will be quite decent at Prema.
jorgerr96

An F1 grid with the likes of Kimi Antonelli, Ollie Bearman, Tuukka Tapponen, Freddy Slater is going to be fun.

Edit: Nevermind I see the source is Joe Sward lol
La Fours
AG
What are y'all's thoughts on this?

Wheatables02
AG
La Fours said:

What are y'all's thoughts on this?

I think the European media goal tends for Hamilton. His responses when asked about collisions and incidents are well articulated and thought out and he never loses his temper so he's easy to defend…. However I believe he gets away with a lot more incidents than anyone will care to admit.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
And yes I think there's ABSOLUTELY bias in the British media because of Lewis' heritage but more important is the fact that he is a living legend in F1. 104 career wins gets you a lot things, breaks from the media when you screw up is probably down the list a bit.

And I expect Max will continue to mature and get better with the media - especially if he continues to win.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.