Business & Investing
Sponsored by

millionaires

451,279 Views | 2070 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 62strat
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I do not think we need it repeated multiple times, we can do the math.
Know what else doesn't need repeating multiple times? Bringing up my bad natty investment in unrelated threads to try to discredit my posts, or simply be a jackass.

A bad investment I made in a brokerage account last year has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.
EvenPar
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I mean he also says he doesn't participate in a 401k, so I'm thinking he doesn't quite understand it.
This business is an S-Corp of which I am 100% shareholder. There are far too many employees for a SEP plan to make sense. So, I take as little a salary as possible, and there's no need for me to contribute to the retirement account and accept the company match from myself. It's a pass through by distributions. Instead of piling money into the 401k, I choose to deploy that capital into opportunities that produce are far better(usually) and quicker return, thus allowing me to do it over and over again. Some of those are alternative investments, some of those are other businesses where I have partners.

So I'm thinking you aren't a business owner.
YouBet
AG
I would add one more. They just want to win and are ultra competitive.

My boss is owner/CEO of our company. I suspect he's wealthier than probably anyone that regularly posts on this thread. His biggest driver is doing what we do better than anyone else.

He doesn't care about free time. The dude never sleeps and is constantly generating ideas and changes. I have to put the brakes on him at times so I can get his first idea done when he's already on idea #8. He's a classic entrepreneur in that he's fearless and failure doesn't impact him. He's had companies that failed spectacularly and just starts over with the next one.

Thankfully, he's a down to earth, cool dude who you would never really know was all that wealthy because he doesn't talk about it and doesn't really flash it.
Cyp0111
I will stop making fun of you for trading natty with no support
Heineken-Ashi
Cyp0111 said:

I will stop making fun of you for trading leveraged natty with no support
bagger05
AG
YouBet said:

I would add one more. They just want to win and are ultra competitive.

My boss is owner/CEO of our company. I suspect he's wealthier than probably anyone that regularly posts on this thread. His biggest driver is doing what we do better than anyone else.

He doesn't care about free time. The dude never sleeps and is constantly generating ideas and changes. I have to put the brakes on him at times so I can get his first idea done when he's already on idea #8. He's a classic entrepreneur in that he's fearless and failure doesn't impact him. He's had companies that failed spectacularly and just starts over with the next one.

Thankfully, he's a down to earth, cool dude who you would never really know was all that wealthy because he doesn't talk about it and doesn't really flash it.
This is an interesting breed.

Every entrepreneur I know has a natural competitive streak. I'd also say ambitious. However, when it comes to work, the ones I look up to I'd describe them as more idealistic than competitive.

They have a vision of how great things could be and they stay in relentless pursuit. Not necessarily perfectionists, but they have high standards and always seem room for improvement. At least the ones I find inspiring.

Folks I personally would classify as unhealthy are driven less by their own vision -- more by chasing the next dollar, a bigger house/better stadium suite/nicer boat than their peers, beating their competitors (or customers), or some other version of keeping up with the Jones. These folks can be real tyrants. (Doesn't sound like your boss is in this category)

Here's another way to describe it --

The entrepreneurs I admire are grateful and happy people. Yes, they always want something better, but they're moving toward something they want.

The ones I see as cautionary tales also always want something better, but on some level they seem kinda miserable. They're not really grateful -- they're pushing hard because they're inherently dissatisfied and envious. Like they won't be happy until ______.

Just my opinion.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
62strat said:

I Am A Critic said:

To me, being wealthy means being able to choose what I do with my time and not give a f what anyone else thinks. It's not a dollar amount.
this idealism could apply to a homeless person lol.

"At either end of the socioeconomic spectrum lies a leisure class"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Cyp0111 said:

Leveraged ETF's are not the issue, the particular commodity I bet on was. Just like options themselves are not the problem when one of them goes sideways, as I'm sure you'd say.

My leveraged trading has been nothing but profitable outside of NG/BOIL.

But that's for another thread.
Heineken-Ashi
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Cyp0111 said:

Leveraged ETF's are not the issue, the particular commodity I bet on was. Just like options themselves are not the problem when one of them goes sideways, as I'm sure you'd say.

My leveraged trading has been nothing but profitable outside of NG/BOIL.

But that's for another thread.
I'm actually very proud of how far you've come risk management wise. Stay on top of it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Costly lessons are best learned early.
cgh1999
AG
Here are some random thoughts after reading the last few pages.

- "wealth" is subjective. If you're surrounded by millionaires, then you're going to need 8 figure net worth to be wealthy. As someone said earlier, $2.4MM net worth is top 2% in the US.
- A buddy once said: "I have go to hell money…I want f u money." To me, go to hell money means I can quit my job and live a managed lifestyle…fu money means I can quit and do whatever I want, whenever I want.
- as my net worth has grown, I've focused on diversifying my assets to reduce risk of any one event harming my financial future. Taxable investments are currently allocated approximately 50% in stocks, 10% cash, 12% Real Estate, 18% in RE notes, and 10% in private companies. All assets (including retirement accounts) are closer to 65% in stocks. I'm slowly moving some of those stocks into self directed IRA's for investment in other asset classes. I'm aiming to have 40% in stocks within the next two years.
- I don't know that I'd go out and put new debt on my real estate, but my current mortgage is 2.25% and my farm is at 4.5%. I have no desire to pay those loans off.
- I don't want to sell my stocks and pay capital gains unless the opportunity makes complete sense. I do have an equity line to maximize my liquidity options - but borrowing at 7% is not desirable for me.
sockerton
This thread is getting weird. I'm 38, married with 3 kids and I'm worth 3.5MM today. I'm a worker bee engineer with a flexible job. All I have done is invest in the s&p500 and managed not to make any stupid emotional decisions. To me that's all it takes.
wessimo
AG
Pinochet
EvenPar said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I mean he also says he doesn't participate in a 401k, so I'm thinking he doesn't quite understand it.
This business is an S-Corp of which I am 100% shareholder. There are far too many employees for a SEP plan to make sense. So, I take as little a salary as possible, and there's no need for me to contribute to the retirement account and accept the company match from myself. It's a pass through by distributions. Instead of piling money into the 401k, I choose to deploy that capital into opportunities that produce are far better(usually) and quicker return, thus allowing me to do it over and over again. Some of those are alternative investments, some of those are other businesses where I have partners.

So I'm thinking you aren't a business owner.

I'm thinking maybe you aren't a tax professional? If you get a deduction in the corporation without income to the individual, your taxable income goes down in total. It makes even more sense when you own 100%.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
sockerton said:

This thread is getting weird. I'm 38, married with 3 kids and I'm worth 3.5MM today. I'm a worker bee engineer with a flexible job. All I have done is invest in the s&p500 and managed not to make any stupid emotional decisions. To me that's all it takes.

You're a sucker that's been programmed to think this way!
Aggie09Derek
AG
Company you worked for get bought out or crazy perform and had a lot of company stock?
Ray Guy
AG
Amazing stuff. 3.5MM at the 10% rate we had over the last 16 years would imply annual saving of 100k since age 22. Bravo! Almost seems unrealistic. What's the real catalyst? Huh? Tell us. Your future adult kids will be living guuuuuuud. Lame childhood though. Also, you should treat yo self like Zach Morris
62strat
AG
Starting to sound like house hunters in here.

'I'm a yoga instructor, and my boyfriend is a rafting guide, our budget is $1.3m.'

I'm 33 with 3 kids and wife stays home. I make $80k/yr, only invested $50 a week in mutual funds and it's worth $1m + today.
Kansas Kid
62strat said:

'I'm a yoga instructor, and my boyfriend is a rafting guide, our budget is $1.3m.'

I'm 33 with 3 kids and wife stays home. I make $80k/yr, only invested $50 a week in mutual funds and it's worth $1m + today.

My observation has been the vast majority of people with real wealth (>$5mm) would never say anything about it. I think it fits for most people on random message boards. If they have it, they won't say it here. I am not saying everyone on this board but I doubt everyone making their claims of tremendous wealth is telling the truth.

Most people with fancy house, toys, cars, etc rarely have any real wealth because they spend everything they have. They are also the ones that are quick to tell you what they spent for their fancy stuff.
Medaggie
I think its the complete opposite. Most people of wealth, esp those who er self made do not want to flaunt it. Most people who meet me have no idea that I am well off. I wear shorts and a tshift 90% of the time. I have one suit I only wear for weddings. Only other time I wear slacks is to church.

When I go to the golf course, I don't look like I belong. I go to the Gym wearing 10 year old nike shorts when everyone else has Lulu. The only Lulu I own is b/c my wife was sick of me looking like a gym slob.

I have no interest comparing bank accounts and I am no better than the next person just because I found success.

I only share my stories on here because its anonymous and I think it helps motivate people to do well. I wish I had a mentor when I was young. Prob only 1 or 2 people on here know my true wealth because I have used them on a professional basis.
RangerRick9211
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

sockerton said:

You're a sucker that's been programmed to think this way!

Wait until we tell him he could have been a billionaire (or bankrupt) with this one simple anti-401(k) trick.
Kansas Kid
Medaggie said:

I think its the complete opposite. Most people of wealth, esp those who er self made do not want to flaunt it. Most people who meet me have no idea that I am well off. I wear shorts and a tshift 90% of the time. I have one suit I only wear for weddings. Only other time I wear slacks is to church.

When I go to the golf course, I don't look like I belong. I go to the Gym wearing 10 year old nike shorts when everyone else has Lulu. The only Lulu I own is b/c my wife was sick of me looking like a gym slob.

I have no interest comparing bank accounts and I am no better than the next person just because I found success.

I only share my stories on here because its anonymous and I think it helps motivate people to do well. I wish I had a mentor when I was young. Prob only 1 or 2 people on here know my true wealth because I have used them on a professional basis.

I think we actually agree on how people are in real life that have real wealth. Those with it usually don't flaunt it.
RangerRick9211
AG
62strat said:

Then let's get spicy. Here's our no-BS investment accounts today. We're more than fine, but not insane and I just want ownership of my time. One kid. 36. Her, Nurse Practitioner. Me, CIVE > MBA > Consulting. I want out of the rat race by 40 and present for every important moment for my family (and also present for every pow day).

I don't regret my path at all. It's defined and a mostly predictable path to success. Highly recommend a W2 and 401(k) path if you're like me.
YouBet
AG
62strat said:

Oh, look...it has granite countertops!

But...honey...this house has no walls.

I know! It likes having the outside as an additional room!

And...that room seems to be missing the...roof?

That's a vaulted ceiling, you dummy! And look at these granite countertops!!
AgsMyDude
AG
45M here bringing in $600k

My wife is a SAHM to our 3 kids (13, 9, 8). Her OFs brings in ~$300K

The kids each run their own businesses and bring in a combined $750k that they see none of until 18.

We're worth ~11.5M today.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Texags never disappoints, happy to see so many Ags here are among the richest folks……. On Earth.
Kansas Kid
AgsMyDude said:

The kids each run their own businesses and bring in a combined $750k that they see none of until 18.

Your kids are total slackers. You need to crack the whip on them a lot harder.
FrioAg 00
AG
Ray Guy said:

Amazing stuff. 3.5MM at the 10% rate we had over the last 16 years would imply annual saving of 100k since age 22. Bravo! Almost seems unrealistic. What's the real catalyst? Huh? Tell us. Your future adult kids will be living guuuuuuud. Lame childhood though. Also, you should treat yo self like Zach Morris

Exactly - the math doesn't work unless there were a very special event (like participation in a big profit sharing win, or inheritance).

You absolutely can build a good amount of money (I'm not declaring it wealthy) through compounding interest - but it takes a lot of discipline and a long time.
Petrino1
Kansas Kid said:

62strat said:

My observation has been the vast majority of people with real wealth (>$5mm) would never say anything about it. I think it fits for most people on random message boards. If they have it, they won't say it here. I am not saying everyone on this board but I doubt everyone making their claims of tremendous wealth is telling the truth.

Most people with fancy house, toys, cars, etc rarely have any real wealth because they spend everything they have. They are also the ones that are quick to tell you what they spent for their fancy stuff.

I think this is true for most "old money" types. They tend to downplay their wealth and don't like to talk about it. The new money types tend to be more open about their finances.

Im not flashy at all, most people would assume I have no money if they saw me, but I'm pretty open with finances amongst friends and family if they ask me. They know better than to ask me for money because they know I won't give them any lol. I have other new money friends who are millionaires, and we talk a lot about investments, business opportunities, strategies, net worth, and money in general.
sts7049
AG
AgsMyDude said:

please provide a link for research purposes
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm in software/IT, have been working for 11 years, and am barely on track to hit $500k this year.

But when I consider where I was when I started (making $23.50/hour, with over $40k in student debt), I'm pretty happy with the progress I've made.

Paid my loans down aggressively until I managed to wipe them out in 2019, then paid $10k cash to buy out my leased car in early 2020 to kill all debt.

After that I was able to max out 401k, Roth, HSA, and throw in some mega backdoor Roth contributions. (Didn't even open my 401k until 2019 since I was only ever a contractor before that. Biggest mistake I've made in my financial journey.)

The vast majority of my net worth has come in the last couple years, and I feel like I'm finally seeing that early work start to pay off. I'm definitely behind where I'd like to be for my age (35), but trying to make up for it with the mega backdoor contributions.
Cyp0111
He could be an engineer at big tech and had RSUs that could get there. I don't see really any other engineering profession at a corporate getting there.

Maybe an oil and gas path but that's been tough the last decade to get that type of growth.
AgsMyDude
AG
Kansas Kid said:

AgsMyDude said:

Your kids are total slackers. You need to crack the whip on them a lot harder.

You're right. The goal is they bring in $1M by EOY or they'll start being "home schooled"
Cyp0111
What is your split between pre and post tax accounts ? Something to be considerate of if you want to have flexibility in late 40s early 50s.
Dr T and the Women
AG
I am not sure having nice things is the dichotomy between old and new money.. I think for many it is what you like

I am "new" money but I like cars. I struggled for a long time whether I would buy an exotic. Then I realized I am in my peak health and I want to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

I don't care for boats so never would get one... but have no problem with Bezos having a yacht.

We save 70% of my income so I have no problem getting things others may think is "flashy".
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.