Business & Investing
Sponsored by

millionaires

451,261 Views | 2070 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 62strat
LMCane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kansas Kid said:

Don't forget, the accredited investor rule was originally done in 1982 and the metrics to qualify haven't changed except now your primary residence is excluded. I am generally speaking a "let the buyer beware" type but there and hate government regulations. That said, in this case, ask yourself if you really are knowledgeable enough to properly evaluate these investments. Just because you meet the financial requirements doesn't mean you suddenly have a lot more knowledge about investing. If you do think you have the knowledge, good luck. I hope you hit it out of the park.
Nope, you are correct, I have no background in real estate or angel investing. my entire career has been in legal/corporate and trade compliance in the defense industry.

which is why I am asking here for suggestions as to the best path forward. I love the idea of being able to invest $10K or $15K in different "angel" projects

but that also seems like basically playing a lottery ticket unless you have a background in Shark Tank.
Kansas Kid
LMCane said:

Kansas Kid said:

sirhc said:

It sounds like your income currently vastly exceeds your expenses...

Are you dumping the excess just into brokerage/retirement accounts? Are you looking at other forms of alternative investments?

Curious what strategy is once someone is exceeding retirement accounts and putting a healthy amt into brokerage.

If you plan to retire early, it is key to keep a substantial amount of money in non retirement accounts. To defer taxes as long as possible, I keep mine in low dividend paying index funds I can hold for a long time. I put in the high dividend payers and the shorter hold securities in my retirement accounts to minimize current taxes.
I assume you are talking about trying to avoid penalties for early withdrawal?

because the taxes you pay on capital gains in a private brokerage are going to be more than the taxes in a Roth or corporate 401K correct?

If you contributed to your 401k pretax, it will be ordinary income tax rate plus 10%. Below is a good summary from Schwab on taxes from Roth IRA early withdrawal.
https://www.schwab.com/ira/roth-ira/withdrawal-rules
EvenPar
AG
Most investments requiring accredited investor status will require a $50k minimum investment and many are $100k+ minimum.

Real Estate syndications are different from Angel and Private Equity Investing.
strbrst777
LMCane
Kansas Kid said:

LMCane said:

Kansas Kid said:

sirhc said:

Are you dumping the excess just into brokerage/retirement accounts? Are you looking at other forms of alternative investments?

Curious what strategy is once someone is exceeding retirement accounts and putting a healthy amt into brokerage.

If you plan to retire early, it is key to keep a substantial amount of money in non retirement accounts. To defer taxes as long as possible, I keep mine in low dividend paying index funds I can hold for a long time. I put in the high dividend payers and the shorter hold securities in my retirement accounts to minimize current taxes.

because the taxes you pay on capital gains in a private brokerage are going to be more than the taxes in a Roth or corporate 401K correct?

If you contributed to your 401k pretax, it will be ordinary income tax rate plus 10%. Below is a good summary from Schwab on taxes from Roth IRA early withdrawal.

I believe the thinking is it's better to shove as much into pre-tax 401Ks because even with ordinary tax rate plus 10%, you will be in a much lower tax bracket by the time you are taking out the funds than presently. Especially for someone like me in one of the highest tax brackets

so the corporate bonus coming on the 15th they actually told me I can decide how much I want to put into pre-tax corporate 401K and how much to be paid out in direct deposit

which actually ADDS on more taxes because it is viewed as additional income to your salary.

so I chose about 90% into retirement fund, 10% into direct deposit.
agdaddy04
AG
It may be taxed differently on the individual paycheck, but when you file taxes it's considered ordinary income.
YouBet
AG
Yeah, bonuses are basically gross income in a separate pay check. That's how you should think about it. They will be taxed like your regular paycheck.
EliteZags
AG
LMCane said:

Kansas Kid said:

LMCane said:

Kansas Kid said:

sirhc said:

I believe the thinking is it's better to shove as much into pre-tax 401Ks because even with ordinary tax rate plus 10%, you will be in a much lower tax bracket by the time you are taking out the funds than presently. Especially for someone like me in one of the highest tax brackets

so the corporate bonus coming on the 15th they actually told me I can decide how much I want to put into pre-tax corporate 401K and how much to be paid out in direct deposit

which actually ADDS on more taxes because it is viewed as additional income to your salary.

no one planning to retire early should ever consider having to account for early withdrawal penalty just lookup Roth Conversion Ladder, or read this
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/taxes/how-to-withdraw-funds-from-your-ira-and-401k-without-penalty-before-age-59-5/
JBLHAG03
AG
…and don't get divorced. I basically had to start over at 38.
YouBet
AG
JBLHAG03 said:

…and don't get divorced. I basically had to start over at 38.
Or get divorced young when you don't own much. I got divorced at 29 and negotiated that I would take all of our debt at the time (a few thousand in CC debt), but I also got to keep all the investments we had. She just wanted out and didn't care.
B-1 83
AG
1. Pay yourself first - 401ks, auto investing, etc....
2. See rule 1
3. Sell a ranch. I had 7 figures long before that, but this item does not hurt.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
RangerRick9211
AG
EliteZags said:

LMCane said:

Kansas Kid said:

LMCane said:

Kansas Kid said:

sirhc said:

no one planning to retire early should ever consider having to account for early withdrawal penalty just lookup Roth Conversion Ladder, or read this
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/taxes/how-to-withdraw-funds-from-your-ira-and-401k-without-penalty-before-age-59-5/
Or, SEPP. 72(t) updated in '22 ( https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-22-06.pdf ) and payment interest rates can now be the greater of 5% or 120% of the fed mid-term rate.

We'd always planned a big Taxable to fund the 5 year seasoning required for a Roth Ladder. But the new rules on 72(t) means we can pull more distributions immediately in RE from a Traditional IRA (401(k) roll-over).

Not only do you not have to wait the 5 years, but it delays your draws on Roth which is more valuable than 401(k)/Trad, both in raw financial terms and intangibles like AGI manipulation.
LMCane
For the Accredited Investors on the board:

what actual steps did you take once you hit AI status?

you have to show your tax returns to an investment agency?

anyone using Ares or Icahn?

hedge funds?

I am trying to understand what my options are- I saw a report last night on youtube that Ares has an 11.6% annualized return vice 6.7% S&P.

and that it gives more access to investing in IPOs before the general public.
Kansas Kid
LMCane said:

hedge funds?

I am trying to understand what my options are- I saw a report last night on youtube that Ares has an 11.6% annualized return vice 6.7% S&P.

I have never had to provide proof that I was an accredited investor. I have just sign a representation that I meet the criteria. The only people I have provided tax returns to are bankers related to loans I was taking out where I was principle and one real estate partnership deal where I was guaranteeing part of the deal.

As for hedge funds, there are some that have beaten the S&P (usually by using leverage and taking substantial risk) but it is hard to beat the market when you charge 2 and 20. The funds with the best track records usually have minimums measured in millions and you will have a lot of gates put up to limit your ability to pull out of the fund. I will never do a hedge fund.

Anyone talking about IPO access should be viewed with some skepticism. Can they get you the hot ones and how many shares will they be able to get you? Most can you access to the dogs but the hot deals are usually reserved for the biggest, highest fee paying clients.

I have never looked at Ares or Icahn. Btw, Ares isn't a hedge fund. They are an alternative asset manager/private equity firm. PEs have had a good run using low interest rates. It is to be determined how they do now that they have to pay for borrowing money.
LMCane
Kansas Kid said:

LMCane said:

hedge funds?

I have never had to provide proof that I was an accredited investor. I have just sign a representation that I meet the criteria. The only people I have provided tax returns to are bankers related to loans I was taking out where I was principle and one real estate partnership deal where I was guaranteeing part of the deal.

As for hedge funds, there are some that have beaten the S&P (usually by using leverage and taking substantial risk) but it is hard to beat the market when you charge 2 and 20. The funds with the best track records usually have minimums measured in millions and you will have a lot of gates put up to limit your ability to pull out of the fund. I will never do a hedge fund.

Anyone talking about IPO access should be viewed with some skepticism. Can they get you the hot ones and how many shares will they be able to get you? Most can you access to the dogs but the hot deals are usually reserved for the biggest, highest fee paying clients.

I have never looked at Ares or Icahn. Btw, Ares isn't a hedge fund. They are an alternative asset manager/private equity firm. PEs have had a good run using low interest rates. It is to be determined how they do now that they have to pay for borrowing money.

Great information.

so as a brand new accredited investor- what would be your steps to take? (age 53).
Kansas Kid
LMCane said:

Kansas Kid said:

LMCane said:

hedge funds?

Great information.

so as a brand new accredited investor- what would be your steps to take? (age 53).

Tbh, don't look to do accredited investing. You probably will struggle to find an edge and $1MM isn't what it used to be. I would stick with what got you to be an accredited investor.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I'm an AI and all I ever had to do was sign that I promise I qualify.

I didn't do anything once I met the threshold and only participate in things that I already have expertise in. In other words, don't change what you're doing that got you there IMO.
Cyp0111
Same.

It's a personal preference, I do not let private investments generally be more than 5-10% of TNW.
Kansas Kid
The other thing to factor in with alt investments is they will likely increase the complexity of your estate planning and taxes. If you self file today, you might need to go to a professional in the future. If you have someone do your taxes today, the annual cost will almost certainly go up.
Dr T and the Women
AG
I have had both experiences.. I find smaller outfits are ok with you just saying you are accredited but the larger ones need proof. I have had the investment company itself offer a third party verification service where you upload returns.. I have also had to provide a letter from my CPA for others.

As for Ares, I am kind of invested with them.. I sold my business to one of their portfolio companies
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LMCane
GarlandAg2012 said:

I didn't do anything once I met the threshold and only participate in things that I already have expertise in. In other words, don't change what you're doing that got you there IMO.

Thanks

but all I did was invest in the stock market, bitcoin, fixed income corporate bonds, cash

I have no real estate other than ETFs, and no private equity or angel investing.

I'm only 53 so shouldn't I be a bit aggressive?
LMCane
Dr T and the Women said:

I have had both experiences.. I find smaller outfits are ok with you just saying you are accredited but the larger ones need proof. I have had the investment company itself offer a third party verification service where you upload returns.. I have also had to provide a letter from my CPA for others.

As for Ares, I am kind of invested with them.. I sold my business to one of their portfolio companies
very interesting- congratulations!

I am looking at their website and it seems a "normal" american can't invest with them but only large whales.

trying to just find a place where I could take a small part of my portfolio and get it involved in yet another diversified income stream.
GarlandAg2012
AG
LMCane said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

Thanks

but all I did was invest in the stock market, bitcoin, fixed income corporate bonds, cash

I have no real estate other than ETFs, and no private equity or angel investing.

No. The ratio of stocks to fixed income is the knob to turn for aggression. Do not get hung up on being an "accredited investor", it is meaningless to you.
Kansas Kid
GarlandAg2012 said:

LMCane said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

Thanks

No. The ratio of stocks to fixed income is the knob to turn for aggression. Do not get hung up on being an "accredited investor", it is meaningless to you.
I concur. Accredited investor sounds like a way to make a lot of money but there are a lot of ways to get similar returns for the amount of risk via investments available to everyone. I have done a few accredited investments but they were always in areas I had a lot of knowledge in already and they were done in lieu of me doing my own 100% investment in areas like real estate.
rononeill
As far as AC opportunities go... sure, they sound cool bc it's like you're in a secret "I've made it" club. Guys in country club locker rooms love to talk about being "in" stuff. Can't drive home enough how you need to understand the investment strategy, underwriting tricks, and sector associated with whatever you're getting into.

I saw an OM for a private placement in my sector- I was shocked at how easily someone can hot rod an underwrite that can have them advertising a 33% LP IRR. All the attorneys and doctors were stoked about it- it was truly eye opening. Further, if you're an expert in whatever sector you're looking at, you're probably already in that field- you should be diversifying your portfolio not tripling down.

I'm gonna keep playing for market returns and good tax planning. Let the other guys gamble.
Cyp0111
This is the key. AI for most people doesnt mean private investments make sense They can be part of your investment mix but they're illiquid, carry additional risk and generally I prefer to not have mroe than 10% of asset allocation on an aggressive basis.
Daytona22
AG
Agreed on this point and the 10% allocation of the portfolio. They are typically riskier investments and ties your money up for quite some time. I'm going on 5 years on some of my investments. The other thing to know is that just because you are one of the first ones in doesn't mean you won't get diluted down the road if that company needs more funds. If you don't want to get diluted you'll be ponying up more $$ to stay at the same percentages.
LMCane
good advice as always

I agree to hold at the 10% of portfolio in accredited investor activities. I would want even less than that to start with.

is it even possible to get into something for $25,000 as an AI that you can't as non-AI?

most things I see are millions of dollars worth of investments.

and I don't really want to turn my entire private brokerage over to a firm when I have been able to grow it to $400K on my own.

I don't want to have FOMO, and at the same time I don't want to miss an opportunity to take advantage of.
Kansas Kid
LMCane said:

good advice as always

I agree to hold at the 10% of portfolio in accredited investor activities. I would want even less than that to start with.

is it even possible to get into something for $25,000 as an AI that you can't as non-AI?

most things I see are millions of dollars worth of investments.

and I don't really want to turn my entire private brokerage over to a firm when I have been able to grow it to $400K on my own.

I don't want to have FOMO, and at the same time I don't want to miss an opportunity to take advantage of.

I have seen a number of $100-250k AI through smaller shops and local real estate developers. Like you said, most firms of any size have funds that start at $1mm and go up from there on the min investment.
Cyp0111
I generally cut checks in the $50K size. Again, AI opens up some new opportunities but I'll be honest, none of them are FOMO opportunities.

I would recommend avoiding the crowd sourced re investing platforms.
Kansas Kid
I concur and would never invest in the crowd sourced products. A buddy did them for a while with mixed results at best. The fact he doesn't do them anymore tells me he did worse than he wants to admit.
Daytona22
AG
Similar to my experience in that it is in the 50k range. some of them have been through my financial advisor who is bringing me options because they have several clients who will go in to make a larger consolidated investment. Others have been through friends or people I know who are investing as well.

To me I would be way more cautious of things that are found online. I would want to know someone running the investment or part of the board of the company seeking money.
permabull
AG
agree... the lock up period is what kills the deal for me. Obviously some accredited investors can get some great deals, but that is usually only if they can get a plurality share and influence how the company is run. If you are just an accredited investor tagging along with some company that gave you a free steak dinner to hear their pitch, you aren't doing any better than buying a mutual fund or etf.
Cyp0111
To date, I've done small, one off real estate LP investments.

I would generally stay away from oil and gas or venture.
YouBet
AG
Take it to the Accredited Investor thread!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.