Business & Investing
Sponsored by

millionaires

451,171 Views | 2070 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 62strat
AgsnFly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, many x. Professional trader but have had same home for 25 years and drive a 20 year old truck. Key is your burn rate - keep it low and F the Jones'.
However, I do wish I had some long term fixed debt these days.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
Rice and Fries said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

Gordo14 said:

I imagine that's very dependent on your net worth, liquid net worth, income, job stability, and housing market. I don't think you can simplify a question as complex as that.

The way you could make this question relevant is what % of your current net worth (excluding your primary residence) did you pay for your house.
Thank you this is what I was striving for, but not all of it:

Basically it's two part question:

1. How much would a houses price be before you are like "no thanks, I'm out". For me, I would have a hard time paying more than $800K-1MM for a house. But I live in the metroplex and can understand that costs are way different in other areas like NYC, SF, LA, DC.

2. How much is that price point you would start shying away from is part of your total NW/Liquidity.

For example: My goal net worth is $5M, so if I am buying a house, I would not want it to make up more than 20% of my total net worth. But If I only have $1.2M NW right now, I can see how much total tolerance would be 50% of my NW.

All that said, my current house is $350K but we want to upgrade in ~5 years and just curious to see if my $800K limit passes the sniff test for a "millionaire next door" type community.

Sorry for the confusion.

We built a long term larger house because of a 4 kid situation about 12 years ago... as they start going to college, we had planned on downsizing, but we love our neighborhood so much that we will hold off for a long while. We live on the lake, so the kids will come and visit from college with friends. Our house is about 6000sf.

The taxes are about 2/3 of what the north dallas area pays and the utilities are VERY affordable. I still see it as an investment long term and just a different asset to be versatile.

The only negative is higher insurance rates last few years due to Texas storms.
Ragoo
AG
Assume lake granbury?
Ag92NGranbury
AG
yes... lake gbury

i couldn't move back to the 'big city'... in our case, frisco

especially with all the covid stuff going on :-)
Ragoo
AG
Ag92NGranbury said:

yes... lake gbury

i couldn't move back to the 'big city'... in our case, frisco

especially with all the covid stuff going on :-)
how is that lake? Already planning my next move in 10-15 years.
A New Hope
AgsnFly said:

Yes, many x. Professional trader but have had same home for 25 years and drive a 20 year old truck. Key is your burn rate - keep it low and F the Jones'.
However, I do wish I had some long term fixed debt these days.

It's rarely about how much you make. It's about what you spend. I was saving money when I was making $23-25k a year.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
we love it...

gets busy on holidays, but perfect every other time... awesome 4th of july fireworks, most quaint town square in texas (imo - also incredible decorations during christmas), great food & beverage in area, art & theater, 30 mins from ft worth, short drive to start of hill country, great hiking areas (dinosaur valley state park, etc), brand new ymca with 8 swim lanes, golfing, lots of pilots live in area because of air fields, car race track 15 mins away... sportsman paradise & good people...

shoot me a message if u are ever in the area and i'll show ya around
Rice and Fries
Weird question, but how are the people you come across on the lake?

I've spent some time up at a friends house up the brazos when I was in/just out of college. His family was nice and some of his neighbors. But lots of the others I met through various other times were pretty much river rats who had some incredibly rude/*******ish children. Just seemed to be living life on the silver spoon, even though their homes weren't anything back shacks as they poured all their money into $80K wake boats. Makes me cautious about raising kids there.

Not trying to ruffle feathers or anything, just curious on a locals perception. My wife and I have repeatedly dreamed about living on a lake. Definitely have an open mind
Ag92NGranbury
AG
Rice and Fries said:

I've spent some time up at a friends house up the brazos when I was in/just out of college. His family was nice and some of his neighbors. But lots of the others I met through various other times were pretty much river rats who had some incredibly rude/*******ish children. Just seemed to be living life on the silver spoon, even though their homes weren't anything back shacks as they poured all their money into $80K wake boats. Makes me cautious about raising kids there.

Not trying to ruffle feathers or anything, just curious on a locals perception. My wife and I have repeatedly dreamed about living on a lake. Definitely have an open mind
you will probably find more of that along the river instead of the lake... it still exists in pockets, but not too bad... you still might find a Ruth (Ozarks) every now and then, but they have become fewer and further between in the last 14 years or so that we've been here...

both gbury and pk lakes have a lot of upper middle class and retirees which upscale it quite a bit... my kids love living on the lake, lots of activities... and they have really good friend groups (solid non-spoiled kids)
Rice and Fries
Glad to hear that. Thank you!
drill4oil78
AG
Rice and Fries said:

I live on Lake Fork .... I never go on the lake on weekends and rarely on Friday. Too many morons on the lake with zero fishing etiquette during the weekends. We have numerous tournaments on weekends which I hate. Weekends are my time for yard and house maintenance. One of the good things about Covid is all the tournaments were cancelled during the spawn. Early Sunday can be OK when many of the visitors are hungover and sleeping. During the week mainly locals and guides and most everyone is always considerate. We have numerous fishing guides on this lake and most are good, but there are some that are a-holes. Lake living is great and and one thing about a lake house ... you will always have something to do as far as maintenance and repair.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Rice and Fries said:

My wife's grandparents have a place on Canyon Lake. Can't tell you much about the people all over the lake, but they and most of their neighbors are retirees. Her family may look like river rats, but they are far from it. Pretty sure her grandfather is a self-made millionaire (I've never asked their net worth and never will) who's started, owned, and sold a couple of successful businesses after growing up dirt poor in West Virginia. Overall, they're damn good (and smart) people.
YouBet
AG
drill4oil78 said:

Rice and Fries said:

I live on Lake Fork .... I never go on the lake on weekends and rarely on Friday. Too many morons on the lake with zero fishing etiquette during the weekends. We have numerous tournaments on weekends which I hate. Weekends are my time for yard and house maintenance. One of the good things about Covid is all the tournaments were cancelled during the spawn. Early Sunday can be OK when many of the visitors are hungover and sleeping. During the week mainly locals and guides and most everyone is always considerate. We have numerous fishing guides on this lake and most are good, but there are some that are a-holes. Lake living is great and and one thing about a lake house ... you will always have something to do as far as maintenance and repair.
My parents live out there. They love it.
YouBet
AG
No way. We are too close into Dallas.
drill4oil78
AG
YouBet said:

drill4oil78 said:

Rice and Fries said:

My parents live out there. They love it.
Where do they live in the Lake Fork area .... Who knows I may know them.
Hendrix
AG
I don't know if this has been covered, but maybe someone finds it useful and post back in a decade. At age 30 my net worth was zero. By 40 I was just barely a multi millionaire. The one thing that changed my life financially for the better was the birth of my son. I remember vividly thinking I've got to get in gear, and I don't want to work for someone else much longer. Retiring from a corporate position in my 60s sounded like hell on earth. I remember sacrificing a lot in my early 30s to get that snow ball rolling. Once you get that going, it's over. Hope this helps someone.
Bocephus
AG
RSP715 said:

I don't know if this has been covered, but maybe someone finds it useful and post back in a decade. At age 30 my net worth was zero. By 40 I was just barely a multi millionaire. The one thing that changed my life financially for the better was the birth of my son. I remember vividly thinking I've got to get in gear, and I don't want to work for someone else much longer. Retiring from a corporate position in my 60s sounded like hell on earth. I remember sacrificing a lot in my early 30s to get that snow ball rolling. Once you get that going, it's over. Hope this helps someone.

Well done sir
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Hendrix
AG
One other thing, the level of frugal you need to be at to get the ball rolling ends up sticking. At least it did with me. I live a simple life and only go big on vacations and experiences now; not toys, and more than anything money gives you freedom to do whatever you want. Don't like your current position? Quit tomorrow. Burned out? Try something else. You don't need 1mm to have that kind of freedom and to sleep well at night as long as you're committed to staying the course.
MAS444
AG
Quote:

Don't like your current position? Quit tomorrow. Burned out? Try something else.
I don't know that that's the best advice for everyone. I can think of several people I know who keep bouncing around looking for something bigger/better because they're not happy...and it seems it's kind if an endless cycle. There have definitely been times when I wanted to do something else because I wasn't "happy," too stressed, hard, etc. But I stuck to it, worked hard, etc...and I'm so glad I did. To some extent, I think people need to understand it's "work"...and just because it's hard/stressful or there are obstacles, doesn't mean you should immediately go looking for a better thing.
Rice and Fries
RSP715 said:

As someone who is/was about to turn 30 with a kiddo on the way, would you mind sharing some advice or going into details about the steps you took to get there? Maybe more just focus on the steps you took between 30-33.

Im already maxing 401k, saving extra on top of that in the emergency fund, but would love to get an idea of a firmer blueprint.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
2 mil net worth gain in 10 years with a new kid at home ?
Create something ? Start and sell a business ? Inherit a portion of that ? Tremendous house appreciation ? Gotta be more to the story than working a Texags type normal job, maxing out retirement vehicles, and living frugally.
DRE06
AG
Its actually very possible in a dual income house with careers/income taking off around 2009/2010.

S&P averaged around 14%/yr. would need to save about $90k.

It's actually kind of nuts to think about. Someone in their late 40s/50s who had a $2MM portfolio in 2009 has seen their portfolio grow to $7MM without contributing anything to it.
GtownRAB
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

2 mil net worth gain in 10 years with a new kid at home ?
Create something ? Start and sell a business ? Inherit a portion of that ? Tremendous house appreciation ? Gotta be more to the story than working a Texags type normal job, maxing out retirement vehicles, and living frugally.
Not just a 2 mil gain, but going from Zero to 2 mil

In response to DRE - I would not argue that it isnt possible, but I would agree with AgOutsideAustin that it is outside the normal range to save $90k/year with kids in your thirties. That would most likely take both incomes to be 6 figures on top of starting/raising a family. Possible, but not common. That scenario matches more with DINKS then young families.
DRE06
AG
Agree, but thats the situation would do it and it does happen.
Hendrix
AG
I did it on a single income with a stay at home mom on my own. I was in the right place at the right time a few times. I moved up the corporate ladder quickly and started investing in real estate after the great financial crisis. As far as steps we took, we bought a very modest house, drove used cars, took cheap vacations, wife cooked every night. I also wrote goals down when I was 30 that I have to this very day. I wanted 10k of monthly passive income by age 45 among others. Looking back those were some ambitious goals. Real estate and smart real estate leverage is a great way to assemble wealth. I just happened to have the love for it and I learned it. I still own the first rental I bought and self managed at the time. I learned more on that first one, rehabbing it, leasing and managing it than all the others. I made some mistakes and learned, but my original proforma was way off for the better. Rents are $250 more today than my proforma and it doubled in value in half the time.
proudaggie02
AG
RSP715 said:

I remember vividly thinking I've got to get in gear, and I don't want to work for someone else much longer. Retiring from a corporate position in my 60s sounded like hell on earth.
Ditto. I had the same motivation. I hated being away from my family and spending 60-90 minutes in the car daily.

My accountant suggested our family start buying rental properties 6 years ago when I had a nice payday (1 year of salary, plus equity) from my employer reducing staff by 80% after a large asset sale. My 3 condos have appreciated by 400-500k (hard to tell what real estate prices will do in the next couple years due to the corona virus), they cash flow 50k/year, and they have other benefits (taxes, paying down principal, and continued appreciation).

I had regrettably not invested much over the last 10+ years, but it was too good of an opportunity to pass up when things went south in March. I've put a large chunk into oil stocks (CDEV is up 4x from my initial purchase, EOG, VDE, IEZ, and a few more) and realistically expect to make 2-3x within 12-18 months. I have nice long positions, and I'm also now playing the swings.
proudaggie02
AG
DP
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Ok rentals make sense. I knew there had to be something behind it other than working a good 9-5 and socking money away. Good for you and your family.
Cyp0111
CDEV is going bankrupt. Just a FYI, close that out if up.

I've followed a pretty simple plan. I'm mid 30's with a wife and one kid. I've generally maxed out pre-tax retirement accounts, saved updwards of 80% of all bonuses which over the last 5 years has been fairly significant and been very conservative with spending patterns. I've been more in the accumulation phase the last 5 years but have 2 rentals and a house that is below our means.

I have very specific goals on 5 year increments for assets (split btw stocks/cash, real estate and potentially business holdings) and what I want to earn off of them. I've planned to build an exit from the corporate world by 45 which is what allows me to continue to press and hustle at a high level.

I think the biggest thing is finding contentment in where you are and what you are working towards. We still vacation (Watercolor and a ski trip in addition to a few small weekend trips) and eat out thus not to sacrifice life to retire early.
MAS444
AG
Can you guys give more details on your rental properties strategies, etc.? Single or multi family? Location, rent, etc.? What you look for in a new rental investment?
Hendrix
AG
Some of my biggest wins have been covered land plays in up and coming urban areas. I got dumb lucky on a few and the area just took out from under me. Also look for optionality. I bought a two story duplex and converted back to sfh once and had success. The bread and butters are 3/2s with great access to the city and near major employers or colleges. You want to be just above that starter home range imo.
Hendrix
AG
Quote:

I think the biggest thing is finding contentment in where you are and what you are working towards
this is key. I still feel poor to this day because I grew up lower middle class, and something deep inside of me is scared to death of not eating next week even with the money I have. I don't have a number. I'm just going to keep having fun in real estate and watching my leverage closely. I'll work till I die I guess. I not good with idle time.
proudaggie02
AG
Cyp0111 said:

CDEV is going bankrupt. Just a FYI, close that out if up.

I just came back to post that CDEV has some risk (limited cash, little/poor hedging), but there is high risk/reward especially if one believes oil will continue to climb into the 40's.

I am curious what level of knowledge you have regarding CDEV? I have ~50k shares and have planned to sell off at increments.
Gig-Em2003
AG
For starters, their bonds are trading at 50c on the dollar and they failed to get off a debt exchange that would have bought them some time.
Cyp0111
To be more clear. CDEV is essentially worthless given lack of liquidity to drill inventory (which isnt great). The need oil prices greater than 60 to have a shot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.