Business & Investing
Sponsored by

millionaires

451,248 Views | 2070 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 62strat
The Silverback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Begs an interesting question….what life do you want to live? Watch every penny you spend and retire at an earlier age or retire with more cash?

Or travel when you want, eat what you want to eat, and not worry about day to day spending?

Personally, not worth it for me to be a penny pincher. I like to eat good food, have nice things and travel as much as I can. Don’t like the stress that constantly worrying about money brings. I live debt free, contribute to wife’s 401k/mutual funds, daughters 529 plan and pay a little extra towards mortgage every month…….so not saying to spend money like a fool. But what is the point of making money and working hard if you are not going to spend it?

Guess it depends on your goal….for those who seek to become a millionaire their whole life, what is your goal? You live life a frugal life for 20-30 years , finally get a $1M in assets/cash and then what? What comes next? I would think it would be difficult to break out of the frugal mentality to ever really enjoy it? Just playing a little devil’s advocate here…
tamutaylor12
I set limits. Save 10k then go on a nice weekend trip. Save 10k more then a nicer 4ish day vacation. We go to nice a dinner for birthdays and our anaversary. The day to day life is frugal but there is always something to look forward to.

[This message has been edited by Tamutaylor12 (edited 1/31/2013 1:21p).]
AggieMavsfan
AG
quote:
Don’t just be satisfied with “the stock market has returned x% over the last 100 years”. That doesn’t tell you anything about the next 10. Spend time looking for better opportunities, they’re out there.

Congrats on your success, but for every person like you, there are several more that get burned. Putting all your money in one company's stock is really risky. I'd rather take the safe return than risk having to work all the time just to get by (or worse).
AggieMavsfan
AG
quote:
food... so much money on food...

Yup, this is where I get hurt. My car is a 10 year old carolla. I'd like to learn how to do more of the maintennace myself to save on repair bills, but still, this thing is a trooper. Clothes I'm pretty frugal on. And its not like I have to wear suits to work anyway. But food...man. I'm trying to use my crock pot a lot because its easy and its nice to come home to a hot meal, but after fighting with my alarm every morning I never seem to have time to cook, and its always "well, I'll eat out just this once..."
jmed2010
AG
I'm a lucker on this board, but I have to say this thread was an interesting read. Good advice.
AggieT
AG
We are not there yet (early thirties), but well on our way. Hopefully in 5-6 years. We don't own a company, but both have good jobs. We tend to follow what everybody here is saying: max 401k's, automatic monthly investments, no debt outside of mortgage, we drive our cars for ten years. I mow my own yard and do most home a auto repairs myself. Every time we sit down and look at our spending the one item that always has massive room to cut is food. It really, really adds up.

[This message has been edited by AggieT (edited 1/31/2013 2:11p).]
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Food, along with weekend bar tabs. It's fun, but man I know I'm burning through some serious cash.
piag94
AG
wealth is only a word. It means nothing. Enjoy life without acting like an idiot. Invest along the way with your ultimate goal of leaving your loved ones with a great head start in life.
Ulrich
I'm a multimillionaire ever since I replied to that Nigerian prince.
anscag07
AG
I am surprised this thread has turned into what it has. I am truly enjoying almost ever response. It seems my wife and I are like most on here. I don't have my own business, wife is a teacher.

Having a million dollars has just been a goal of mine for a while. Right now my wife and I have been focuses on paying off our house. I have read some where that having your house paid off is the "new status symbol".

Thanks again for the responses, please keep them coming.
bkag9824
AG
quote:
I'm in the exact same boat - plan on being an expat for the first 15-20 years of my career and hopefully settle back in Houston so my son can have a stable HS life in the States. I will be in Korea next year and ??? after that.

Glad you never took that job I originally approached you about?!

Wish I had the same opportunity as you.
Retired Principal
AG
I responded earlier, but this is a great thread. If you have a good job, just out of A&M, you need to be putting it away. Get your spending habits right. Put the money away and adjust accordingly. Base the house, car, etc. you can afford, not on your gross income, but on income after you save.
zsh0
AG
Would agree with most of the above that the key tenets would be maxing retirement and investment account contributions, forced savings, and living below your means.

Contributing to a 401(k) isn't as sexy as a bar tab when you're fresh out of school, but it pays off in the long run.
Ragoo
AG
My biggest thing is setting up the auto drafts into other accounts. My wife and I get our checks deposited into a single checking account. From there the money is distributed.

Here is my break down.
10% 401(k), recently bumped to 14%
$416.67/month to wife's ROTH
$416.67/month to my ROTH
$500/month investing account
Periodically slide money into a cash account, although this is about where I am comfortable so will be stepping up the investing account.

The last (3) a spread out over the month so that my checking account stays funded "fully"

The tough part for us is food. It is much easier to run to panera or something than it is to cook dinner.
piag94
AG
I've never been a fan of the maxing of 401K's. I do agree with putting as much as your employer matches. That money is basically frozen and while it's great for a LONG time from now, it's still frozen. However, it's hard to argue when people do go big into 401k's.....very understandable.
Tormentos
AG
Im 33... my wife and I will hit 1 mil mark in net worth (assets minus liabilities) in a few months. We have gotten there by being smart with our money, investing wisely in the market, and maximizing our IRA and 401k contribution since we got out of school. We also waited to have children, 1st is on the way now, so that has helped as well.
Vestal_Flame
AG
I am not yet over the $1M hump, but I can see how to get there from here.

If you can discipline yourself early to put 20% of your gross income (before employer matches, if they exist) into various automated savings / investment options, a lot of things get easy in a hurry.

quote:
That money is basically frozen and while it's great for a LONG time from now, it's still frozen.

A couple of thoughts on this.

Somebody with a better sense of how this works can correct me, as I have not had reason to try it.

One, because of employment volatility, people have the opportunity to roll 401k money into IRAs more often than they used to.

If you combine that rollout, which gives you control over the account, with a Roth option on the 401(k), my understanding is that you suddenly have the option to roll out your contributions into cash at any point after you change jobs, which again is more frequent than anyone would like these days.

Someone should check me on this.

I completely max out my 401(k) because my employer match is pegged to employee total contribution.

Two thoughts on generational financial disasters that I have seen close up:

1.) Insurance, both life and disability outside your employer, is important.

2.) Diversification is important. Having all your eggs in one basket is a killer. Concentrating all of your wealth in the stock of an employer particularly concentrates risk, because the same event that can nuke your wealth can simultaneously nuke your income.

When you lose your job because the company just announced that the CFO has been baking the books for the last 5 years and tens of thousands of people are being laid off, you want to be in the position of going home and saying to your wife, "Don't sweat the mortgage. We're still wild-ass liquid."

You can tell I used to work for Nortel, can't you?

[This message has been edited by Vestal_Flame (edited 1/31/2013 6:55p).]
FTA 2010
AG
I already feel that I have established some good habits while I am young, but man this thread is inspiring! Makes me want to go home and reevaluate all of my distributions and be sure I am holding myself accountable for the long run.
Ag CPA
AG
I am 37 and my wife and I reached it a few years ago but I do not feel rich by any means. Half of it is in 401k's and another quarter is equity in our house. In my mind being a true millionaire means having a million of liquid assets that you could waste on hookers & blow if you wanted, not your net worth per se.

A million bucks just doesn't go as far as it used to.

[This message has been edited by Ag CPA (edited 1/31/2013 7:27p).]
Vestal_Flame
AG
A million bucks may not go as far as it used to, but it's important to note how few people have $100k.

http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2007/02/01/rich-o-meter-20/

I am frequently astounded by the levels of consumption that I see on a daily basis, relative to what I know to be the income and net worth distribution in America.
zsh0
AG
quote:
I am frequently astounded by the levels of consumption that I see on a daily basis, relative to what I know to be the income and net worth distribution in America.

This is what worries me in the long run...the 1% of people who worked hard and saved and invested are going to get the shaft when the government has to take care of the other 99%. Either by direct taxation on the "wealthy" or indirect devaluing of worth by printing money and inflation, the chickens will come to roost.
AFarmer95
AG
It looks like the rich-o-meter above came out in early 2007. I would like to see that number adjusted to today.

These are interesting numbers, looks like from 2011
http://www.freemoneyfinance.com/2011/02/finances-of-the-average-american.html

[This message has been edited by AFarmer95 (edited 1/31/2013 8:08p).]
Vestal_Flame
AG
Fascinating.

This one also blows my mind:

http://www.freakonomics.com/2010/11/18/freakonomics-radio-could-a-lottery-be-the-answer-to-americas-poor-savings-rate/

quote:
Peter Tufano is a Harvard Business School professor who specializes in consumer finance. He recently helped conduct a survey in several countries, including the U.S., which asked people if they could come up with $2,000 in 30 days if they had to. It turns out that nearly half of Americans couldn’t – “which means,” Tufano says in the podcast, “that they stand only one emergency or crisis away from really quite dire circumstances. This isn’t picked up in the national economic statistics.”
chris1515
AG
Not there yet. 2 years in grad school and a career change slowed things a bit. Hoping by 42, instead of the original plan of 40.

The most important part of having a sizable nest egg for me is the ability to walk away from a job if it becomes unbearable. The stress of "having" to go to work every day leads so many people to live a miserably stressful life. I've never done it, but the ability to say "eff you" to the boss and know that you have the finances to maintain your lifestyle for a while is priceless.
SW AG80
AG
Interesting thread. 8 to 10 years out of law school I was making more than I ever have made since then. My financial planner (who made $$ off me investing) told me that he had never seen anyone so focused on saving and retiring and that I was missing out on the journey that is life. That made me loosen up some. I got to where I hated the private practice of law so I ran for District Attorney and have been in the public sector ever since. I spend $$ on A&M football and travel. Those are our 2 vices. It takes LOTS of $$ to send kids to college. You must start saving for that as soon as they are born, if not before. We might end up with $1M, plus our annuities from our public sector jobs (she is a county employee) but we are enjoying life. Specially with one kid out of college and the second--and last--out soon.
anscag07
AG
Ok, I guess I will keep prying.

How do yall have your assets allocated? Currently my wife and I are at

40% Cash
5% Personal investments
30% 401K
25% Equity in House

Any advice on improvements that I should make. Like I mentioned before I will be starting the baby's college fund soon, and would like to get our personal investment percentage up to around 10-15%. Thought?

Gig Em
gigemhilo
AG
You have a good plan. And I would also add that if your mort rate is low, don't worry so much about paying it off early. Build a good nest egg that will pay you back. Then tackle the debt.

Ag92NGranbury
AG
a couple of points...

on the 401k...if you roll it to an ira and you decide to cash it out, you will pay income taxes on the amount plus a 10% penalty. not advisable to do so imo... many companies offer the ability to borrow from your 401k... not advisable either... but at least you have access to your cash if needed

on insurance...

someone earlier mentioned to make sure that you have enough insurance...etc... which i do agree with...but... in my opinion, learn to hate insurance!

don't get me completely wrong... i love my insurance guy... it is a necessary evil.. insurance is expensive and it tends to apply more to people that don't prepare for the unexpected

for instance, when you drive a car for 10 years, you can get collision only insurance at year 5... that can save you a ton of money over that time.. always get the highest deductibles that you can afford on your house

your goal should be to get to the point where you don't need life insurance... why? well life insurance (if u die) pays the wife a lot of money, pays off the house & pays for kids colleges (in theory)... when you prepare your finances, you won't need life insurance

there are cases where u still need life insurance... like serps, ILITs or if you have maxed out every other savings vehicle...and in these cases it makes a lot of sense

in most cases, insurance does not further personal investment objectives

to respond to boris... you can still be frugal and enjoy things... keeping a budget and saving goals help you to enjoy things that you like to do... my wife and i like nice restaurants (on occasion) and nice vacations... if you aren't watching your spending, then you can spend 'stupid' money... money that flies out the door quickly, and u might not have received as much in value as you thought... big bar tabs mentioned earlier would be an example

highly recommend putting all your spending on Quicken (including cash)...i've used it since 1997 and it is extremely helpful in knowing where the money goes, tracking investments and setting goals

order of investing for me over the years: non-mortgage debts, pre tax retirement - 401k, ira, other non-taxable investments, 529s, mortgage, personal savings in taxable accts

[edit - assets allocation]
20% house
20% 401ks
5% 529's, hedges & misc
10% personal investments (liquid)
15% cash
30% business assets/real estate

[This message has been edited by Ag92NGranbury (edited 2/1/2013 9:38a).]
Vestal_Flame
AG
quote:
Not there yet. 2 years in grad school and a career change slowed things a bit. Hoping by 42, instead of the original plan of 40.

I think that a lot of us are in that boat. The opportunity cost of a graduate degree is a large part of the reason that the net expected value of so many of them, including law, is negative.

quote:
your goal should be to get to the point where you don't need life insurance... why? well life insurance (if u die) pays the wife a lot of money, pays off the house & pays for kids colleges (in theory)... when you prepare your finances, you won't need life insurance

I entirely agree with this. Life insurance is a useful tool when you are young and it is dirt cheap. But its utility diminishes as your assets grow and the reaper approaches.

quote:
on the 401k...if you roll it to an ira and you decide to cash it out, you will pay income taxes on the amount plus a 10% penalty. not advisable to do so imo...

My understanding is that, if you make the Roth election on your 401(k) payments, you can withdraw contributions from the rollover on a tax-free basis. Is that not correct? Again, I haven't had to try this stunt, but I understand that it exists.

In terms of thinking about money, here's another random thought. I exclude my home equity from any net worth calculation. I just basically assume that houses are illiquid and therefore valueless.

This is probably a reaction to the diabolical volatility in home prices that we have witnessed over the last 5 years.

[This message has been edited by Vestal_Flame (edited 2/1/2013 10:17a).]
AggieRAGE
AG
Great thread! One of the best i've seen so far on the B&I board.
cgh1999
AG
Vestal - I look at my net worth through two lenses.

Net worth = assets - liabilities This includes perceived equity, retirement fund balances, jewelry, etc.

Tangible net worth = liquid (non-retirement) cash and securities + ~60% of retirement assets. This is what I have available to live on should I need it. With the volatility in the market, RE can be included at about 80% of "value" less mortgage debt. Cars and jewelry, etc are not included unless you are prepared to sell them.

As others have said, a million isn't what it used to be, but its a whole lot more than most. Paying off a house may not be the best "return" on your money, but the reduction in required expenses is helpful in times of need.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
quote:
In terms of thinking about money, here's another random thought. I exclude my home equity from any net worth calculation. I just basically assume that houses are illiquid and therefore valueless.

This is probably a reaction to the diabolical volatility in home prices that we have witnessed over the last 5 years.

i understand why u do this...but there is value in a home

first, i conservatively estimate home value

second, when you have a home paid off... u can always go to a bank and mortgage it for any cash if needed...therefore, there is value

third, with homesteading in texas, if you get sued for whatever the reason, they can't touch the value of your home (in most cases- not tax or mortgage related)

keep taxes low if you can on your home. there is a big difference between 1.5% and 2.3% ad valorem on home values

on the roth 401k, i'm not exactly sure on the tax laws, although the roth implies that you have put post tax money into the savings vehicle
Pelayo
AG
My good looks, hard work, calculated risk taking, an extreme bias against bad debt and a tendency to live well beneath my means. Mainly my looks though.

[This message has been edited by Pelayo (edited 2/1/2013 10:34a).]
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Vestal_Flame
AG
My tendency not to count home equity as an asset probably explains the fact that my monthly mortgage P&I is less than my 2-week income tax withholding.
coop214
AG
I can in 20 years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.