Business & Investing
Sponsored by

millionaires

451,168 Views | 2070 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 62strat
kingj3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The additional replacement cost only applies if the cost to rebuild changes drastically during the policy period
BlackJacket
Cyp0111 said:

CDEV is going bankrupt. Just a FYI, close that out if up.
AlphaBean
AG
Realized this week we crossed the threshold in retirement alone sometime last year. We're first time parents with a 14 month old so we had other priorities last year and it just slipped by unnoticed. We'll definitely be getting some umbrella coverage. Anything else we should consider at this point?

As for how we did it at age 36 and 38...

We started out negative due to student loans. Have never had cc debt. We don't come from money at all. Hell my husband has a HS diploma and I'm the first in my entire family to go to college. We did have an unexpected windfall a few years ago of about $50k due to my in-laws passing but my husband spent a giant chunk of that on a toy. When we started out I was in grad school but had it paid for through a fellowship. Once I graduated we continued to live off just my husband's income because we were already used to it. Simultaneously Paid off my student loans and started maxing out retirement accounts. That was 2008. And that's all we've done every year. Max max max 401k and Roth IRA and live well within our means. Though we have started to selectively splurge a bit more in recent years because we do realize life is short and you can't take it with you. Didn't make big money in real estate. In fact we broke even on our first home and are now in our second home that we designed and custom built. We saved for YEARS to make that happen. Our mortgage is about 1.5x our pay and that's very, very comfortable for us and even affordable on one salary if needed. Our previous mortgage, when we left, was about 0.5x our salary. So yes, well within means. Slow and steady, persistent. That's been our path.
agdaddy04
AG
Similar to you passed the mark without realizing it. Turned 39 last year and pretty sure hit it in 2019. Would've been sooner except my wife hasn't worked since we had kids in 2013. Definitely doesn't feel like I thought it would growing up. Looking to go exponential now. 2019 also changed many things when I took a job in Colorado and had to buy a home twice as expensive as the one in Texas.
Ornithopter
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Similar to you passed the mark without realizing it. Turned 39 last year and pretty sure hit it in 2019. Would've been sooner except my wife hasn't worked since we had kids in 2013. Definitely doesn't feel like I thought it would growing up. Looking to go exponential now. 2019 also changed many things when I took a job in Colorado and had to buy a home twice as expensive as the one in Texas.

Colorado Springs?
agdaddy04
AG
North of Denver - Erie
AlphaBean
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Definitely doesn't feel like I thought it would growing up.

Ain't that the truth! When I realized it I was all oh snap we did it. Aaaaand realized I felt exactly the same as I did 2 seconds prior.

I didn't mention cars above. In 15 years we have each purchased 2 vehicles. One was late model used and we still have it as a backup beater. One was base as base could be and we had it 12 years. At least half the time we haven't had a car payment at all and we have only had about a two year period where we had two. We've always paid those off early.
mpl35
AG
agdaddy04 said:

North of Denver - Erie
welcome to NoCo. We are getting close but the wife decided to specialize which forced me to restart a couple of times. 1-2 years out.
proudaggie02
AG
BlackJacket said:

Cyp0111 said:

CDEV is going bankrupt. Just a FYI, close that out if up.

It would've cost me a lot of money in mostly unrealized gains if I had listened to this. Looking at the chart, CDEV closed at $1.13 the date of that statement, was $2.15 five days later, and was $3.35 this evening. I've trimmed ~15k shares at an average of $2.50, so I'm holding strong at 35k shares at .65 average. I could see it running to $5-6 this year, and wouldn't be surprised to see it hit $8-10 down the road.

There's a chance they'll go bankrupt, but I keep a pretty close eye on the company.
cisgenderedAggie
Half of it is in unvested employee stock options and likely the result of trash can dollar, but I'm counting it official on paper by net worth apparently as of this week. Just a few months shy of 40, if only for a brief moment in my life, I got there.
Cyp0111
Hmm , you got lucky j
Gravy
AG
Could be millionaires by now, but we are not because the wife and I love travel. Our thinking is there are some things you just might not be able to do when you are older. Being a millionaire would be great, but climbing the Duomo and bell tower in Florence was an experience that may not be possible later. Same with hiking the Swiss Alps and the Black Forest, biking from Brugge, Belgium to Sluice, Holland, Hiking both rims of the Grand Canyon, snowmobiling around Yellowstone, and much much more. We will be millionaires later (assuming no untimely interferences.....in which case, who cares).
TXTransplant
Gravy said:

Could be millionaires by now, but we are not because the wife and I love travel. Our thinking is there are some things you just might not be able to do when you are older. Being a millionaire would be great, but climbing the Duomo and bell tower in Florence was an experience that may not be possible later. Same with hiking the Swiss Alps and the Black Forest, biking from Brugge, Belgium to Sluice, Holland, Hiking both rims of the Grand Canyon, snowmobiling around Yellowstone, and much much more. We will be millionaires later (assuming no untimely interferences.....in which case, who cares).

I've done many of those same things plus more, and with my son. All on a single income.

It doesn't have to be one or the other...unless maybe you're trying to hit the seven-figure mark in your twenties or early thirties.

I don't feel like I've sacrificed anything significant to meet my financial goals. However, I am very conscientious of what I spend my money on, and I see a lot of my peers buying much more expensive houses ($500k+) and spending money on expensive designer purses. That's just not my thing.
RangerRick9211
AG
TXTransplant said:

Gravy said:

I've done many of those same things plus more, and with my son. All on a single income.

It doesn't have to be one or the other...unless maybe you're trying to hit the seven-figure mark in your twenties or early thirties.

I don't feel like I've sacrificed anything significant to meet my financial goals. However, I am very conscientious of what I spend my money on, and I see a lot of my peers buying much more expensive houses ($500k+) and spending money on expensive designer purses. That's just not my thing.
I agree. It's a false dichotomy. I'm not critiquing their journey, but we had/have both. Hell, some of that stuff multiple times, e.g. my wife loves Florence and we had multiple years of the Emirates BOGO JFK-MXP and would always swing by.

We hit two commas at 32 (twice considering March) and spent our twenties traveling hard. I was a big churner (bidding traveler, flyertalk & r/churning) and focused on maximizing value add expenses and minimizing wasteful expenses. We also consistently save 45% and have from day 1 of our jobs. And of course, like everyone, I'm basically Buffet with my investment track record the past decade.
TXTransplant
I think it's important to note that, for most us (specially those on the younger side), the majority of our wealth is tied up in retirement accounts.

I know for me, if I exclude the equity in my house, almost 87% of my "wealth" is in my active 401k, a 403b, a Roth, and my pension.

The other 13% is cash savings, including an investment account and an HSA.

So, I'm definitely not living like a millionaire. The key for me was taking advantage of tax-deferred accounts every step along the way. I wasn't always able to max them out (especially when I started my career in academics making $65k and had a newborn), but I ramped up as fast as I could.

Once you get used to living on a salary that has the maximum in tax-deferred deductions taken out, you don't even notice what's not there.

Now that I've invested some of my savings and it's grown substantially, I feel a little more comfortable spending the extra cash I have on things like travel and home improvements, rather than hanging on to it just to build a ridiculously large "emergency fund".

For me personally, there is only so much risk I can tolerate in the stock market, so of my cash savings, only about 45% is actively invested.
Petrino1
RangerRick9211 said:

TXTransplant said:

Gravy said:

I agree. It's a false dichotomy. I'm not critiquing their journey, but we had/have both. Hell, some of that stuff multiple times, e.g. my wife loves Florence and we had multiple years of the Emirates BOGO JFK-MXP and would always swing by.

We hit two commas at 32 (twice considering March) and spent our twenties traveling hard. I was a big churner (bidding traveler, flyertalk & r/churning) and focused on maximizing value add expenses and minimizing wasteful expenses. We also consistently save 45% and have from day 1 of our jobs. And of course, like everyone, I'm basically Buffet with my investment track record the past decade.
Agreed, easy to travel for "free" if you utilize credit card points, sign up bonuses, etc. I havent paid for a flight in 6-7 years and a lot of my hotel stays have been free. But Im also the type to prefer a modest air bnb versus an expensive hotel.
proudaggie02
AG
Cyp0111 said:

Hmm , you got lucky j
Yeah, okay.
Post removed:
by user
dallasag12
AG
Just realized the wife and I crossed the threshold at some point in the past few weeks. Save about 33% of our take home pay in brokerage on top of 401k contributions up to employer match and usually sock away 90% or more of bonuses.

Like earlier posters said, a significant amount (about 1/3 in our case) is in retirement accounts, 1/6 is home equity, and another 1/6 is company stock with the remainder being the brokerage. So it definitely does not seem like we are living like millionaires as the stereotype would suggest. We fly almost exclusively on airline miles (have paid for a flight or two lately just because they're so cheap versus points) but usually end up paying for the hotel/lodging wherever we go.

We have our first on the way so with mom staying home that takes out about 75% of our monthly savings to brokerage, but seems like what we have built should continue to grow nicely assuming we don't splurge on anything for a decade or two.

How have the rest of y'all seen your nest egg change as the sex trophies arrive?
Cyp0111
Need to plan on saving less for at least the first while as you will always be buying stuff. With that said, you will not go out as much so will save some there and weekend travel/trips will not be as frequent.

Daycare is the big kicker.
Wrec86 Ag
Hit the "Millionaire" threshold last September in terms of Net Worth. Wife and I were both 33 years old. We're up to about $1.25mil at the moment, but a lot of that has to do with how high the stock market is right now. Roughly 70% ($800k) of our net worth is in the stock market in short term savings and 401k/retirement, so there can be some wild fluctuations.

We were both incredibly lucky in that our parents paid for our college and we graduated with zero debt. From there, we both have had good jobs, with combined salaries ranging from $130k at the start to $300k now (after bonuses) and we don't have any kids. We definitely don't skimp on vacations - we spend between $20-40k on vacations yearly.. with 2020 being an obvious exception due to the pandemic.

Current plan is to try and "retire" around 50 and get a job doing something fun for 10 years for the health benefits and to stay busy. Then real retirement around 60 once the 401ks become active.

Max out both 401ks and 20% (after taxes) goes into short term savings - use it to pay cash for vacations, cars, houses, and it'll hopefully grow to $1-2million cash by the time we hit 50 years old and can live off of it for those 10 years "in between".
Madmarttigan
AG
Salaries like that and no student loans or kids and millionaire status seems pretty easy even without investing.
Formerly tv1113
Wrec86 Ag
Wrec86 Ag
(Sorry, can't pass up an opportunity for a *****t's Creek gif)

We've definitely been blessed and lucky along the way, other than a few layoffs, etc. We're both in Oil and Gas, so we ride the highs and lows.

We've also have times where we outspend what we make and get carried away, but any time we go crazy and buy something stupid and over the top, it's in the "hundreds" of dollars and not "thousands" ... so that saves us. We also have only bought one set of cars in 8 years of marriage (in cash), and they combined for $70k... whereas we have contemporaries that go through that every other year it seems like.
62strat
AG
tv1113 said:

Salaries like that and no student loans or kids and millionaire status seems pretty easy even without investing.
yeh my aunt and uncle were pulling $400k 15 years ago in their 40s. No kids. Their net worth was probably a million in their early 30s.. 30 years ago. It's probably 8 figures now. He 'retired' at 50 (worked defense, Obama cut his program, and he never worked again), she retired at 55.

Hell they netted like $600k on one vail condo sale alone that they owned and flipped for like 10 years.

Honestly with that kind of income at age 32, a single million seems kind of low. Definitely gotta be spending a lot now... and nothing wrong with that. I like to spend too.

We'll hit a million maybe at age 42/43, and our salaries are WAY lower, and the kicker; two kids that cost us $120k in daycare in 6 years, along with $20k in birth costs and always $5-$10k of medical out of pocket a year.

Take all that kid stuff away and we'd be millionaires easily by now (40) on a much more modest income... I think anyway.

But kids are awesome!

Is there a website that can do hypothetical investments of a certain stock over certain time frame.

I'd be curious to know what ~$2500 a month from 2015 to today of say aapl or nflx or amzn (all positions I hold) would be worth.
RightWingConspirator
AG
We're actually closer to $3MM net worth than $2MM right now. We max out our savings to the 401k ($58000 this year), fully fund Roths and back door Roth contributions and HSA account.

One thing we struggle with is spending money. I drive an 11 year old F150 that's been paid off since 2012. Wife drives a 2019 Honda Odyssey. Our vacation budget per year probably does not exceed $2,000.

We've not quite found the balance between savings and living for today. When you work O&G, it does make you want to hang on to whatever it is you've saved.
LRHF
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

We're actually closer to $3MM net worth than $2MM right now. We max out our savings to the 401k ($58000 this year), fully fund Roths and back door Roth contributions and HSA account.

One thing we struggle with is spending money. I drive an 11 year old F150 that's been paid off since 2012. Wife drives a 2019 Honda Odyssey. Our vacation budget per year probably does not exceed $2,000.

We've not quite found the balance between savings and living for today. When you work O&G, it does make you want to hang on to whatever it is you've saved.

Keep doing what you've been doing. I'm on the verge of leaving O&G after 21 yrs... laid off last June and went camping for 5 months. The recovery doesn't look that good and We saved enough $$ to do a complete 180 and start a new path.

We were the same on the car front. I drove a 1993 Accord from 2001- 2014 when we flooded in one of the crazy storms in Houston. Bought my F-250 new in 2003 and expect at least another 100,000 miles. Watched lots of friends constantly buy and trade performance cars taking a loss every time while paying huge for oil changes, fancy low profile tires that get bad mileage, expensive brake jobs etc.
Cyp0111
cars are one thing but good vacations with family seems is a worthwhile investment imo.
TXTransplant
Cyp0111 said:

cars are one thing but good vacations with family seems is a worthwhile investment imo.
Seriously...with two adults and enough kids for a mini-van, $2k isn't even a vacation. More like road trip to Six Flags over San Antonio for a couple of nights.

I wouldn't be able to get up and go to work every day if I didn't know there was some travel adventure waiting for me in the near future. The last year has been HARD in that respect. I don't hate my job by any means, but it's not my passion...it's merely the way I finance the things I am passionate about.
62strat
AG
TXTransplant said:

Cyp0111 said:

Seriously...with two adults and enough kids for a mini-van, $2k isn't even a vacation. More like road trip to Six Flags over San Antonio for a couple of nights.

I wouldn't be able to get up and go to work every day if I didn't know there was some travel adventure waiting for me in the near future. The last year has been HARD in that respect. I don't hate my job by any means, but it's not my passion...it's merely the way I finance the things I am passionate about.
It is all in how you look at it.

Last summer we did 5 nights in western colorado/utah. Saw arches over two days, and some beautiful state parks near Rifle, CO. It was in our camper, so it cost us (outside of cost of camper), maybe $300? Outside of food & alcohol. yes, I know the camper costs money, so that's not a bottom line vacation cost.

We also did a week on table rock lake last summer.. rented a boat, went river rafting, and canoed for 5 hours another day. Other than that, pool time and relaxation. Used marriott points, so all in cost out of pocket was maybe $1000, including fuel to drive there and back.

Vacations you can drive to are cheap. You fly, and you add $1000 just about, for family of 4. flights, transportation, airport food, etc.

Then there are the people who are in the point game, like myself. Staying at a nice resort for free for a week takes a big dent out of the cost of the vacation.

62strat
AG
I've been lucky on the vehicle front.

The first two vehicles I purchased on my own were my mom's. So it was a relatively new car at a great price. I think first was $5k on a honda accord I had for 3-4 years and sold for $3k, then $15k on a highlander I had for 4 years and totaled getting $10k back.

I bough my first new vehicle on the cheap about age 29/30, I think it was $20k, sold it for $10k 4 years later.
Then company trucks for 3-4 years, then a new base model truck lease, but was totaled a year later in hail storm, so was only out my down payment of ~$2k, then a used truck for $30k but sold 4 years later for $20k.

For the first time in my life, a few weeks ago at age 40, I splurged on a new Lariat. But it will be mine for quite some time, and I don't feel bad splurging at least once on a vehicle.

So that's about $30k out of pocket in vehicles (not including interest, maintenance, repairs, etc) for 5 cars over about 20 years, or about $1500 a year. 2 of them new and the used ones were all only 3-4 years old.

Tough to beat that.
mpl35
AG
62strat said:

TXTransplant said:

Cyp0111 said:

It is all in how you look at it.

Last summer we did 5 nights in western colorado/utah. Saw arches over two days, and some beautiful state parks near Rifle, CO. It was in our camper, so it cost us (outside of cost of camper), maybe $300? Outside of food & alcohol. yes, I know the camper costs money, so that's not a bottom line vacation cost.

We also did a week on table rock lake last summer.. rented a boat, went river rafting, and canoed for 5 hours another day. Other than that, pool time and relaxation. Used marriott points, so all in cost out of pocket was maybe $1000, including fuel to drive there and back.

Vacations you can drive to are cheap. You fly, and you add $1000 just about, for family of 4. flights, transportation, airport food, etc.

Then there are the people who are in the point game, like myself. Staying at a nice resort for free for a week takes a big dent out of the cost of the vacation.

TBH - you have to include the cost of the camper. And wear/tear of mileage not just gas.

On the other hand I have southwest points so my flights are "free". We do have the companion pass also so out of pocket is usually zero. But even that is not really the entire story since if I used another card that is a "free" hotel or cash back.

A flight can be "free" but then you have to rent a car if not in a city. Also for us in our situation a flight can save considerable time. Time = money. My wife does contract work on the side so she can spend that driving time making money that pays for the vacation. On the other hand my wife likes roadtrips. I drive. She sleeps and enjoys the views along the way.

Point is that the calculations are complicated and not clear. But we personally also prioritize vacations. 2006 Civic and 2011 4runner. Both paid off. Both still going strong.

Vacations with the family make priceless memories. In 2019, we managed 6 vacations. Those were of varying lengths and costs but they are more important to us than to retire a few years early. I think we had were 50/50 on flights versus driving.

Diggity
AG
you're not staying anywhere for "free". There's an opportunity cost to those points and there is cash value to them.

I'm not saying you can't save money by using points, but it ain't free.

You can pretty easily get 2% cash back on credit card spend these days, so that would be my minimum "value" of that opportunity cost.
ORAggieFan
RightWingConspirator said:

Damn, my vacation last week the food alone was $2000 and that was two people for four nights. We love to travel, but it's why we are planning $30k/year for it in retirement, which will hopefully be around age 50.
DRE06
AG
Almost $3mm in the bank and spending $2,000 a year in vacation. Please live a little. You are going to regret this so much down the road.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.