Business & Investing
Sponsored by

millionaires

451,155 Views | 2070 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 62strat
diehard03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
that article is an abomination on all fronts.
Muy
AG
Sales career; and wish I never told my wife my income. She lives like we have 5X that net worth.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Muy said:

Sales career; and wish I never told my wife my income. She lives like we have 5X that net worth.
I bet any guy who makes 5X your net worth swears that his wife, "lives like we have 5X that net worth."

Its a vicious cycle of expensive homes, cars, and purses.

Post removed:
by user
Cyp0111
Stock markets probably putting a dent into portfolios right now.
2012Ag
AG
Yup
Ed Carter
AG
Maybe there should be a new thread titled "2 months ago I was a millionaire"
FriendlyAg
Gordo14 said:

Maybe I'm biased, but my girlfriend and I both have high paying jobs and really high net worth in our 20s. It's distinctly possible, if we got married we could be millionaires in a few years. It would largely depend on stock market performance and my company's bonus which is pretty variable year-to-year, but almost always healthy.... Also I guess it matters if I were to decide to get an MBA. Even if we didn't get married, however, i could possibly be a self-made millionaire in my early 30s and I only modeled a 4.5% annual return.

I'm really just looking for a hypothetical future where my returns outstrip a comfortable cost of living. The number isn't quite as high as I imagined it was when I was young. Don't think I plan on retiring early per se, but I'm already starting to value vacation time over a 5% bump in salary. I think the dream for me is to make enough cash to live off of from investments and work 40 weeks a year as a consultant or something. Maybe that's ridiculous, but i really want the freedom to travel a lot, but still work. Maybe my priorities change with time.

Gordo, it's Diehard14. Long time no chat. Same age, but I'm in finance. I feel the same as you and am in the same boat. My lifestyle is probably double what it was in school, but I'm still driving the same truck, and I enjoy cooking at home and drinking my own booze. When I go out with friends i usually just have beer. Makes for a lot of savings. I used to be more obsessed but when I do conservative modeling I'll have well over 10-15 mill by the time I'm 65-70. So I have committed to myself to spending 3-4K a year on nice vacation abroad and the occasional splurge. Sure, kids will put a dent in things for a while, but I anticipate that with the addition of an another salary at some point, I'll be able to keep my pace. I have already laid the foundations for multiple sources of income. I'm not even really factoring in salary bumps or bonuses which could be sizable as I'm being groomed for C-suite stuff. I think our generation ~late 20s college grads in high paying majors will all be very wealthy because we were coming out of high school when 2008 happened. I saw my father lose his job, get cancer, and not have very much in the bank. Changed my lifestyle preferences. I think on a whole there is a lot of college educated that are intense savers and investors because of this.

I know for me, it's about getting to a point where I don't ever have to work for someone, unless it's interesting, challenge, and rewarding. And being able to say "ehhh, it's 2 pm, I think I'll go take a nap this afternoon and pick it up in the morning." If I ever get to a point where my passive income is enough to comfortably support my family and I wasn't happy I would walk away and be ok with that. I'd like to at that point ~40s~50s be able to work a few days a week doing something, spend my other time reading, traveling, or doing something outdoorsy. I'd also enjoy teaching or volunteering.

Just posted to let you know you're not alone for your age. Keep at it dude.
Ed Carter
AG
Fire up that cig boat Chris Chris!
Ridge14
FriendlyAg said:

I have already laid the foundations for multiple sources of income.
What are you doing? Are you mainly leveraging your real estate experience and acquiring properties or pursuing other sources?
FriendlyAg
Ridge14 said:

FriendlyAg said:

I have already laid the foundations for multiple sources of income.
What are you doing? Are you mainly leveraging your real estate experience and acquiring properties or pursuing other sources?

Investing in real estate developments with friends/family. Would like to save enough in these entities to have a combination of long term cash flowing assets and cash to invest as equity into other people's deals. They aren't really providing me cash right now because I'm reinvesting profits, less tax distributions, but should in the future.

My day job lends itself to learning the real estate stuff, so I have applied it to my personal life. It'll just be one part of my nest egg as I'm still heavily into equities. Just diversity of assets I guess.
permabull
AG
AggieFrog
AG
We'd be over a million in net worth by now if not for having 3 kids in private school (about $40k/year in tuition). We still save quite a bit and live below our means. I've advanced as far as I want to go at work (I have no desire to move into management). Currently 41 and hopefully will be in position to retire by my late 50s.
Post removed:
by user
Cyp0111
Most companies now have individual contributor tracts that will compensate people up to a level where you can avoid the mid-level manager problems and still access better salary, bonus and stock options.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

I can relate to your comments about not wanting to advance into management. Our managers travel a lot more and have a lot of additional responsibilities and don't get compensated for it. At some point when you make good money, your time starts becoming more valuable and I don't want to travel a lot and be away from the family even for additional money.
This is where I am at. Have reached a point in my career where I make pretty comfortable money, and could likely be on the millionaire track faster than my current trajectory has me, but I value my time more. I can always make another dollar, but I can never make an extra minute to my life. and for that one, i don't have a spreadsheet showing me how many i have left.
62strat
AG
I am kind of there too. I don't have the drive to climb up corporate ladder. I make decent money, and am probably in the top 25% net worth of my age, and I'm good with that. I work 7-3:45 and use all of my 3 weeks vacation to be with my family.

I also have millionaire parents who are very generous now that we have kids. I don't take it for granted, but end of the day, my 3 and 4 years old already have 529s with a healthy balance, so my focus has kind of changed to think about providing the same for my grandkids, since my kids college will be likely paid for.
sockerton
There is a lot of talk about almost being there or on the right tack but there are so many things that can stop you from getting there. Keep doing what you are doing but do it harder! You can always dail back saving once you hit a million but you can't go back in time to save more.
Cyp0111
I think it will be interesting to see how people with solely index funds will perform through this downturn. The index alone is being pulled by a handful of stocks with high valuations. Value investing has largely been pushed aside...also interested to see how the robo advisors perform.

10 year bull run will really provide an interesting back drop.
AggieFrog
AG
Cyp0111 said:

I think it will be interesting to see how people with solely index funds will perform through this downturn. The index alone is being pulled by a handful of stocks with high valuations. Value investing has largely been pushed aside...also interested to see how the robo advisors perform.

10 year bull run will really provide an interesting back drop.

I'm mostly in an S&P 500 index for my 401(k) but my horizon is 18+ years so I'll just buy through the downturn and bet the index. Not exactly any good places to invest at the moment.
dlp3719
AG
Ed Carter said:

In addition, you will NEVER regret having kids regardless of your financial situation. They're the highlight of your life

Statistically that's true for about 90% of people when the kids are 18. I have a few friends that openly regret having kids (but don't tell their kids). It isn't for everyone.

Edit to provide source:
https://news.gallup.com/poll/164618/desire-children-norm.aspx

Question is phrased as: If you had to it over again, how many children would you have, or would you have any at all?
Post removed:
by user
AggieFrog
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

dlp3719 said:

Ed Carter said:

In addition, you will NEVER regret having kids regardless of your financial situation. They're the highlight of your life

Statistically that's true for about 90% of people when the kids are 18. I have a few friends that openly regret having kids (but don't tell their kids). It isn't for everyone.

Your friends must really suck. As a parent I can't imagine saying this nor have I ever heard one say it.

I wouldn't say that. We've heard the same and some kids can be much harder to parent than others. We definitely know that from experience.
Post removed:
by user
WoMD
Some people legitimately shouldn't be parents. Just because you can't relate doesn't make it less true.
Post removed:
by user
Sock for BI board
TDLR: I'm about to turn 40 and my net worth is around $2.5 million

I'm about to turn 40 so it's an interesting time to look at life and how I got to where I am.

Family History (Gene Lottery): Grew up outside of Texas. My grandfather got his PhD in Economics from Stanford and was CEO of the largest state bank in a smaller state in the 70's. He largely paid for A&M and took me and my cousins on several memorable trips growing up (Detroit car museums, London/Paris, Hawaii, etc). I got his smarts so I'm thankful for that. My grandmother died at 76 and he remarried 35 years his junior and gave all his money to wife #2. That always bothered me. I want my kids to have a nice inheritance.

He taught me some good things. When he was 7-8 during the Great Depression, a government employee came to town and bought cattle to slaughter on the spot (I guess they wanted to cut supply to drive inflation/prices and wanted the farmers to get some sales). He begged for a cow at a gas station from the guy and got one. He said that's what his family lived on all winter. His best friend growing up died from an ear infection (pre-penicillin). All that to say, modern life is pretty good. He made good money in the stock market off of Wal-Mart, Exxon, etc. and shared what he bought and sold in the 80's.

My dad was a big believer in residential real estate. Never did the stock market. He died in his early 60's and left my mom with 9 paid for houses. For all those looking at real estate, it can certainly work. It did for my dad. Growing up I went to so many showings, repair man meet ups and evictions. I vowed to never do real estate. Now that my mom had them, she wants to sell them all and just collect checks from a bond/dividend fund. I think people mis-estimate their (or their heirs) desire to deal with the rental houses when they are 75+ years old. Some people do it. Some people find the right property manager (we couldn't). They tied my parents down. They could never travel on the 1st of the month (collecting rent).

Met my wife at A&M. Married as we graduated. I finished at A&M in December 2001. Degree in finance. September 11th had just happened so I took what I could get which was a credit analyst job for $35k a year. Between 2001 and 2006, pay rose to $70k per year. We put money into Roth IRA's and 401k. Over those 5 years, built up $35k in retirement. Cars were paid for and we chipped away at about $30k in student loans we had (but rates were <2% so not huge urgency).

Got the opportunity to go to a Top-5 business school and took it. Finished in 2008 with $137k in debt. Pay jumped to $150k a year. Wife making $35k a year in non-profit. Bought a house in 2008 (in hindsight should have waited as priced fell another 20%). Our net worth was negative until about 2011.

We started having kids, wife stayed home, pay rose at the corporate gig to $250k a year. I figured out I was never going to climb the corporate ladder and get out of middle management so needed to find another way. 20 years at $250k a year, I knew I could end up well off but it just seemed so boring and predictable. I decided I wanted double income so I started a side business in 2010 in an unrelated space. Side gig eclipsed corporate income five years later and I dropped the corporate gig. As the side business grew and the kids came, I gave up marathon running and triathlon's to make time for the side gig and kids.

I've started 4 businesses. Two worked well, two were not big losers but didn't really make me anything. Having businesses has allowed for SEP IRA contributions backdoored into Roth.

Roth IRA: $500k
Brokerage: $125k
Private investments into friends' ventures: $75k (one real estate, one start up, one Private Equity)
Equity in House: $200k (value less debt)
Value of business I'm selling in 2019: $900k (according to boutique ibanker in the space who is selling)
Value of business I'm keeping: $600k

Lessons Learned
  • In finance we ran all these models about how important it was to start saving for retirement early. We made it a priority in our 20's but ultimately it's a small portion of what we have today. Most of our retirement came from 2008 and onward. 2000 - 2008 was a cyclical bear. 2009-today well I'm glad I was investing.
  • We have Cable, Netflix, Pandora Premium, iPhone X's, Lawn Service, House Cleaner and we eat out a lot. We have chosen not to sweat the small stuff too much but focus on the income side.
  • We have always tithed 10% to our church
  • I subscribe to Dave Ramsey in paying off all our personal debt (except house at 3.125%), paying cash for cars, etc.
  • Debt can be good / almost required in some businesses. I borrowed $750,000 to buy equipment within the business. It worked out.
  • Our income ranges between $450 and $600 annually. I give my wife $100k every year and tell her to make it last the year. We spent $92k in 2018. Rest went to taxes and investments.
  • We live in a house <1X our annual income. It was 3X our annual income when we bought it. We have 11 years left on a 15 year note at 3.125%
  • My wife was never a great income producer but she is a great mom, manages the house well and is hyper involved at their school. Our kids go to public school. There's 6-8 teachers per grade and my wife makes sure our kids get a good teacher each year. We supplement with robotics camps and computer camps. Best I can tell, they are not missing out by not being in private school.
  • Stewardship is big for us (over penny pinching). If we are not using something we sell it or donate it. If I own it, I take care of it and I don't like taking care of a lot of things. Most of our friends have upgraded to that million dollar house but we look at it with dread. It's just more to take care of. We have friends with lakehouses, farm land and beach houses. It takes a lot of work to take care of that stuff. I love the sharing economy. I'd much rather go with my friends (and be super generous about buying gas and food and bringing up a new boat toy that I leave) or rent for a week than own it.
  • We do travel but airline and hotel is covered by points. The businesses run about 1 million a year on cards buying inventory so we have more than enough points for travel.
  • Thankfully, kids and wife are healthy and happy.
  • I don't really have any regrets. Low points in life have been losing both my father and FIL in early 60's (both premature) and son needing skull surgery at 8 weeks old.
  • Income * Age / 10 says I should be at $2 million. I was behind this rule for almost my entire career except for the last few years.

I feel I will have reached FIRE at $3.5 million liquid with house paid off. Kids are 5 and 8 so I figure I have at least 10 years of work left. I'd like to be done at 50 and that seems very doable. The biggest concern (like all) is health insurance from 50 to 65. I debate if I want to risk off and sell all the businesses and coast in corporate for the next 10 years or if I want to risk on and start another business. We'll see.

dlp3719
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

dlp3719 said:

Ed Carter said:

Your friends must really suck. As a parent I can't imagine saying this nor have I ever heard one say it.

You must not be that close to your friends. Statistically, 1/10 parents is thinking it. Why keep up the fascade? I'd rather have real, deep meaningful relationships. Some of my friends have cheated on their SO. Bad **** is out there and people think and do bad **** (including your friends) - whether you know about it or not.
Post removed:
by user
Thriller
AG
Can we move this back to the original discussion?
dlp3719
AG
No more thread derail.
Comeby!
AG
Nice post. Appreciate the insight. If you can answer one question: did you get any help from your grandparents/parents financially for your business/investments? I am sure I will be mentally debating this as we've done well and am currently raising two kids, heading to college in a few short years. Not sure if I should 'invest' in them when they are working professionals and front them some equity or make them earn it themselves, much like I did. I didn't come from money but my parents did pay my Aggie Education.
Sock for BI board
Comeby! said:

Nice post. Appreciate the insight. If you can answer one question: did you get any help from your grandparents/parents financially for your business/investments? I am sure I will be mentally debating this as we've done well and am currently raising two kids, heading to college in a few short years. Not sure if I should 'invest' in them when they are working professionals and front them some equity or make them earn it themselves, much like I did. I didn't come from money but my parents did pay my Aggie Education.

Grandparents paid for all but $20k of A&M. Parents gave me $20k to help with MBA school living expenses. Parents loaned us our downpayment on our house (which we paid back over the course of 2-3 years).

The businesses were either bootstrapped or we saved up the money to put in. Parents didn't help. At one point, we had enough cash saved to pay off our mortgage. My wife and I decided to a big chunk of it into a business instead.

If my kids want to start a business, I don't think I will give them the money. I'd rather help them if things are going well but they get short on working capital or growth capital or want help/advice. Smalll businesses are almost always short on capital. I'd rather be the back stop to save a good thing than be part of the first money on a bad idea.
Comeby!
AG
Sock for BI board
If my kids want to start a business, I don't think I will give them the money. I'd rather help them if things are going well but they get short on working capital or growth capital or want help/advice. Smalll businesses are almost always short on capital. I'd rather be the back stop to save a good thing than be part of the first money on a bad idea.[/quote said:

This is exactly where my mind is at. I've seen that in every successful family, there's a grinder that started with nothing who hit the long ball, that provides the foundation for their children. Inevitably you'll have one that squanders the opportunity and one that grabs ahold with both hands and takes it to the next level.
FrioAg 00
AG
Quote:

If my kids want to start a business, I don't think I will give them the money. I'd rather help them if things are going well but they get short on working capital or growth capital or want help/advice. Smalll businesses are almost always short on capital. I'd rather be the back stop to save a good thing than be part of the first money on a bad idea.

Quote:

This is exactly where my mind is at. I've seen that in every successful family, there's a grinder that started with nothing who hit the long ball, that provides the foundation for their children. Inevitably you'll have one that squanders the opportunity and one that grabs ahold with both hands and takes it to the next level.

In my line I'm the grinder and I'm working my ass off to make sure all 4 of my kids are the ones that grab ahold and run. I do see the pattern you describe in other successful families all around me.

It's so difficult because I cannot recreate the childhood struggles that formed my values (perseverance, toughness, etc). I will say that at 13, 10, 8 and 7 I am quite happy that they are on the right track so far. But I still worry.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.