Business & Investing
Sponsored by

millionaires

451,288 Views | 2070 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 62strat
Howdy Dammit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

AggieFrog said:

cmk10 said:

i think its just people that were never educated on it. Its insane that our schools dont teach some sort of classes on this from 5th grade and on...
If nothing else, have them create a spreadsheet and demonstrate the power of compound interest. For the vast majority of students, a personal finance class would be more valuable than just about any math or science class they could take (not saying it should replace them, but it will be more valuable long term).

It's one thing to say, but another to do. Teenagers and kids have no real concept of time. My 5 yo talks about tomorrow as if it's next week and next month like it's today. Teens and older kids are better at small scale time conceptualization (days, weeks, months) but they fail to grasp things on the order of years and decades. I know I sure as Hell did.

You can give them a spreadsheet and talk on compounding interest, but the implication will rarely sink in because they will struggle with the time scale. You're talking periods multiples longer than they've been alive.

They'll also struggle with the numeracy. As a teenager, $1000 was serious money. $10k was nearly unfathomable. I thought making $40k-$50k/yr was living it up (partially because I was poor). You're also going to be taking about what, to many, are unfathomable amounts of money.

When you're done, their takeaway is going to be that 40 years is forever and there's no way they'll reach $X million just saving a couple hundred every month.

This is all accurate. But In my experience, I learned from watching my parents. Not so much then talking. I knew my dad did well, but chose to drive a camery. I knew dad did well, but mom clipped coupons and my clothes were handmedowns. Etc. That somehow just became who I was.

Another important thing was teaching the value of a dollar regardless of order of magnitude. My folks made me work thru high school and when I turned 16, they would match whatever I saved from freshman/sophomore year to buy a truck. That was a fairly immediate goal and I saw minimum wage "wealth" grow over 1.5 years. I had 5k in my checking at 15 and my friends had to ask parents for money to go grab a burger. That led to interest in money and the discussions with dad about compound interest and 401k started from there.

Actions and forcing kids to understand the value of money are extremely imperative. Cause I agree, that just a talk about compound interest in high school probably would have just passed by me if my upbringing was different.
AggieFrog
AG
You're correct about conception of time in teenagers, but I know plenty of adults who are the same way. That should not be a barrier to teaching the concepts. And personal financial management goes beyond just retirement investing. It has to include topics such as debt and its affects (for good and bad), some rudimentary understanding of taxes and how they affect you, basics of home purchases/mortgages, basic understanding of banking (10% of adults have no bank account), etc.

No class will be as beneficial as watching your parents live this stuff out, but it's a start at least.
Gordo14
At the end of year 2021 evaluation, we were just a hair shy of $1.1MM at 29.5. Very satisying knowing that we accomplished that. Hoping to reach $5MM by 40 at this point even if it might be a stretch. Dual income (both 6-figure income), no debt (she had ~30k student loan debt when she graduated), and no kids yet and not planning to for another few years. No house yet, but will probably buy one in 2023 if I had to guess. We've both been real good about investing consistently since 2015 and it has been really fun to see the value this has generated for us.

It's been a good ride and I really don't think we've ever sacrificed on experiences to get here. We travel a lot when we have the vacation time, and I think we strike a great balance of not spending ridiculous sums of money on stupid ****, but also making sure we capture the full potential of our experiences. Food, events, and travel are really the only things we spend real money on - while we both drive very generic, affordable cars.
ABATTBQ11
AG
AggieFrog said:

You're correct about conception of time in teenagers, but I know plenty of adults who are the same way. That should not be a barrier to teaching the concepts. And personal financial management goes beyond just retirement investing. It has to include topics such as debt and its affects (for good and bad), some rudimentary understanding of taxes and how they affect you, basics of home purchases/mortgages, basic understanding of banking (10% of adults have no bank account), etc.

No class will be as beneficial as watching your parents live this stuff out, but it's a start at least.

Or not living it out
MAS444
AG
Username doesn't check.
taba82
AG
Clavell said:

Yes and it's called a husband and wife both working for 30+ years and maxing out pre tax 401Ks for most of those years.
Ditto
Mike
Aggie Band '82
Complete Idiot
MAS444 said:

Username doesn't check.

You're joking but in some ways I am a wealth accumulation or early retirement planning idiot - and my point to someone similar is you can still build a retirement nest egg to maintain your lifestyle after retirement and until age 100. I think many, myself included, may read posts on this forum and feel intimidated or a like a failure due to a large number of folks who seem to be quite successful at building what I consider very large wealth or putting themselves on a path to retire by age 50. However it's ok to not have those goals and just plan to balance living in now vs planning for future. It's a personal choice.
MAS444
AG
Your post/situation is very practical - and I think much more realistic/attainable for most people. It's a great example that you can easily save for a comfortable retirement and also spend money and enjoy life. I've never understood the mindset of the FIRE type people who it almost seems can't wait to get to 50 (or whatever age) to "retire" with xxxx dollars - as if that's the main goal of life. I want to save but also have as much fun and do as much stuff as we can along the way.

Signed,
A Spender
Eliminatus
AG
MAS444 said:

Your post/situation is very practical - and I think much more realistic/attainable for most people. It's a great example that you can easily save for a comfortable retirement and also spend money and enjoy life. I've never understood the mindset of the FIRE type people who it almost seems can't wait to get to 50 (or whatever age) to "retire" with xxxx dollars - as if that's the main goal of life. I want to save but also have as much fun and do as much stuff as we can along the way.

Signed,
A Spender

I grew up desperately poor. Like, gone to bed with growling stomach kind of poor. I hyperfocused on being rich since to my dumb young mind that solved everything.

Thankfully I learned in my early and late 20's that that is not the case. I've lived a fast paced life and my priorities have changed dramatically. I have also seen and been near death far more than the average person and that will change your thinking as well. I've expired on a LifeFlight and on an operating table. I've lost more friends/close associates before their time than I care to count. It's 40+ at this point. I turn 36 this year.

Life is finite. It is beyond clear to me at this point. And knowing my luck, I could save and scrimp for 30 years to finally retire and be ready to enjoy it when a 16 yr old runs a stop sign and ends me. Ergo, might as well enjoy life while I can. That doesn't equate to being dumb of course but I just can't live the way I see some people do, and what I thought I had to do for many years. Not judging, but also not for me.

Growing up poor and then traveling the world also makes my perspective different too I think. I just want to be comfortable, and my degree of comfortable is very flexible and relative.

I also don't have family so that helps too I have found. I also have gotten a very late start on the career life so my expectations are pretty low too. (If anyone needs an electronics engineer/entry PM in five months btw when I graduate, lemme know please!)
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
It's really not that hard, I'm sure it's been said here before.
Max out 401ks, own your own home, have an investment account.
Do that over long enough and a million is basically the floor. The goal is to have the money growing even in retirement.
He Who Shall Be Unnamed
MAS444 said:

Signed,
A Spender
Totally agree. I look back on some of the things I have done in my past which cost a great deal of money but also brought me a great deal of joy. 3 trips to Africa (including taking my Dad on the last international trip of his life), trips to Europe, China, New Zealand, buying and driving around a couple of Porsches. If I did not do those things, I would no doubt have several hundred thousand extra dollars in my account. But that really wouldn't make me any richer at all. Not by a long shot.
Gordo14
Eliminatus said:

MAS444 said:

Signed,
A Spender

I grew up desperately poor. Like, gone to bed with growling stomach kind of poor. I hyperfocused on being rich since to my dumb young mind that solved everything.

Thankfully I learned in my early and late 20's that that is not the case. I've lived a fast paced life and my priorities have changed dramatically. I have also seen and been near death far more than the average person and that will change your thinking as well. I've expired on a LifeFlight and on an operating table. I've lost more friends/close associates before their time than I care to count. It's 40+ at this point. I turn 36 this year.

Life is finite. It is beyond clear to me at this point. And knowing my luck, I could save and scrimp for 30 years to finally retire and be ready to enjoy it when a 16 yr old runs a stop sign and ends me. Ergo, might as well enjoy life while I can. That doesn't equate to being dumb of course but I just can't live the way I see some people do, and what I thought I had to do for many years. Not judging, but also not for me.

Growing up poor and then traveling the world also makes my perspective different too I think. I just want to be comfortable, and my degree of comfortable is very flexible and relative.

I also don't have family so that helps too I have found. I also have gotten a very late start on the career life so my expectations are pretty low too. (If anyone needs an electronics engineer/entry PM in five months btw when I graduate, lemme know please!)

Yeah I agree. I don't want to sacrifice on experinces just to hit a number that I can stare at in a bank/investment account. However, the power of compound interest and the importance of the principal in that equation makes it hard not to seriously prioritize building wealth because that guarantees comfort.
coolerguy12
AG
Gordo14 said:

At the end of year 2021 evaluation, we were just a hair shy of $1.1MM at 29.5. Very satisying knowing that we accomplished that. Hoping to reach $5MM by 40 at this point even if it might be a stretch. Dual income (both 6-figure income), no debt (she had ~30k student loan debt when she graduated), and no kids yet and not planning to for another few years. No house yet, but will probably buy one in 2023 if I had to guess. We've both been real good about investing consistently since 2015 and it has been really fun to see the value this has generated for us.

It's been a good ride and I really don't think we've ever sacrificed on experiences to get here. We travel a lot when we have the vacation time, and I think we strike a great balance of not spending ridiculous sums of money on stupid ****, but also making sure we capture the full potential of our experiences. Food, events, and travel are really the only things we spend real money on - while we both drive very generic, affordable cars.

Great work! Really impressive to pull it off by 30 with no house. What is the reason for not owning your home? That has been the single best way I have raised my net worth. Up $200K valuation since I bought in 2017. Made $30K on my first one after 4 years which is what allowed me to get into this one.
Ragoo
AG
coolerguy12 said:

Gordo14 said:

Great work! Really impressive to pull it off by 30 with no house. What is the reason for not owning your home? That has been the single best way I have raised my net worth. Up $200K valuation since I bought in 2017. Made $30K on my first one after 4 years which is what allowed me to get into this one.
i would think the greater than $200k income and no kids but that is just a hunch.
Leander - Ag
AG
Gordo14 said:

Eliminatus said:

MAS444 said:

Signed,
A Spender

Yeah I agree. I don't want to sacrifice on experinces just to hit a number that I can stare at in a bank/investment account. However, the power of compound interest and the importance of the principal in that equation makes it hard not to seriously prioritize building wealth because that guarantees comfort.

Exactly. Do both
one MEEN Ag
AG
Wait, Gordo can't be worth a million bucks, he works in the shale oilfield during its worse run.

Congrats. That's awesome.

But I will encourage you to have your kids now. Once you've got the first one going, your priorities change and you'll wish you've started sharing in that joy sooner.
XXXVII
Y'all are making me feel like a lolpoor based on the ages and net worths posted here.

My wife and I are late 30s. We didn't get started very early with retirement saving and had some setbacks from student loans due to my wife attending a private university. We just hit $1 million in assets this month, but we're only at about $750k net worth due to remaining mortgage debt and student loan debt. We could pay off all her student loan debt in one shot, but we're just saving extra right now since the repayment restart keeps getting pushed back (May 2022 now I think).

The largest chunks of our net worth are in home equity ($300k) and our 401k's ($400k). Our 401k's are all in target year retirement funds through vanguard and fidelity. My question for y'all is should we be doing something different with 401k investments? I see many of you mention that your 401k's are in S&P500 funds. Is that more risky versus the target year retirement funds?

YouBet
AG
XXXVII said:

Y'all are making me feel like a lolpoor based on the ages and net worths posted here.

My wife and I are late 30s. We didn't get started very early with retirement saving and had some setbacks from student loans due to my wife attending a private university. We just hit $1 million in assets this month, but we're only at about $750k net worth due to remaining mortgage debt and student loan debt. We could pay off all her student loan debt in one shot, but we're just saving extra right now since the repayment restart keeps getting pushed back (May 2022 now I think).

The largest chunks of our net worth are in home equity ($300k) and our 401k's ($400k). Our 401k's are all in target year retirement funds through vanguard and fidelity. My question for y'all is should we be doing something different with 401k investments? I see many of you mention that your 401k's are in S&P500 funds. Is that more risky versus the target year retirement funds?

I wouldn't feel down about this. That's about where we were in our late 30s; maybe slightly higher. Keep plugging away and compounding interest will kick in. You will be surprised how quickly you get to $2M after it took you forever to hit $1M. I was.

For example, our assets grew 124% since Nov. 2016 when Trump got elected. That's a mere 5 years. That also obviously includes some luck on what the market is doing. We may not get that same growth rate going forward if we continue down the path we are headed.

Those target funds are allocated based on your retirement horizon so they will be less risky than the S&P 500 depending on what your horizon is.
TXAGFAN
AG
Don't be discouraged, there are a lot of crazy numbers being posted here which are easily Top 1% or general population in terms of income/wealth at that age.

I'm in my late 30's with a career that i think is recession/depression proof so I still think I can take on a lot of risk with my investments. If it was all gone tomorrow I'd just keep working. I carry less than 3% in cash/bonds in my portfolio (I keep about 6 months expenses in cash too incremental). Target funds will weight you towards bonds at a much higher rate (more conservative) than I'm comfortable with and I'm sure that's the norm for most here who are in millions in their mid-late 30's. If you look at fund profile can see this.

For example, based on my age Vanguard would recommend the Target 2045 fund. That fund would have me at 12% bonds currently which is much more than I hold and that proportion would increase significantly as I aged. Less risk, less rewards.

If you want to mitigate risk there's no rule that says you have to pick your retirement age, can always pick one further out. Like I could pick the 2065 target fund in my 401k.
topher06
YouBet said:

XXXVII said:

I wouldn't feel down about this. That's about where we were in our late 30s; maybe slightly higher. Keep plugging away and compounding interest will kick in. You will be surprised how quickly you get to $2M after it took you forever to hit $1M. I was.

For example, our assets grew 124% since Nov. 2016 when Trump got elected. That's a mere 5 years. That also obviously includes some luck on what the market is doing. We may not get that same growth rate going forward if we continue down the path we are headed.

Those target funds are allocated based on your retirement horizon so they will be less risky than the S&P 500 depending on what your horizon is.
Also, for target funds, I recommend looking into the allocations they're using. Strong possibility they're just rebalancing a total market fund for like 80% and a bond fund for 20%, and taking a 0.25% (or something) higher fee to do so. You can easily mimic those funds yourself and keep the fee difference.
YouBet
AG
TXAGFAN said:

Don't be discouraged, there are a lot of crazy numbers being posted here which are easily Top 1% or general population in terms of income/wealth at that age.

I'm in my late 30's with a career that i think is recession/depression proof so I still think I can take on a lot of risk with my investments. If it was all gone tomorrow I'd just keep working. I carry less than 3% in cash/bonds in my portfolio (I keep about 6 months expenses in cash too incremental). Target funds will weight you towards bonds at a much higher rate (more conservative) than I'm comfortable with and I'm sure that's the norm for most here who are in millions in their mid-late 30's. If you look at fund profile can see this.

For example, based on my age Vanguard would recommend the Target 2045 fund. That fund would have me at 12% bonds currently which is much more than I hold and that proportion would increase significantly as I aged. Less risk, less rewards.

If you want to mitigate risk there's no rule that says you have to pick your retirement age, can always pick one further out. Like I could pick the 2065 target fund in my 401k.
To this point, most financial firms have recently changed their risk profiles to be more conservative. Even my firm's "High Risk" profile added more weight to bonds last year. Somewhere in the 10-12% range for the high-risk level just below the highest risk profile.
TXAGFAN
AG
Right, but that's going to lever up as time elapses in a target fund. I don't use a firm/advisor for my investments, but help a family member who does. Sitting in on her meetings I've never heard of them adjusting it as a function of her age

Todays 12% bonds is probably 25% in 10 years when you're in late 40's and 35% in late 50's. I'm not interested in that allocation at all until I'm retired and even then will depend on how much assets I've accumulated.
YouBet
AG
TXAGFAN said:

Right, but that's going to lever up as time elapses in a target fund. I don't use a firm/advisor for my investments, but help a family member who does. Sitting in on her meetings I've never heard of them adjusting it as a function of her age

Todays 12% bonds is probably 25% in 10 years when you're in late 40's and 35% in late 50's. I'm not interested in that allocation at all until I'm retired and even then will depend on how much assets I've accumulated.
Yes. I was just referring to overall risk profiles that are independent of a target fund where the latter automatically adjust.

IOW, you typically see 4-5 risk profiles and depending on your tolerance you roughly align to one of them. Obviously, most people factor age and horizon when aligning to one, but you don't have to. Some firms have changed those risk profiles so that the entire spectrum of the 4-5 have shifted to be more overall conservative.
TXAGFAN
AG
Makes sense. Just wanted to clarify and inquire.
one MEEN Ag
AG
TXAGFAN said:

I agree with you that bond drag is way too much, especially in the modern market era where inflation kills everything not moving.

My parents are retired, and they still didn't switch over to heavy bonds. They did reallocate their equities mix to represent more blue chip, high dividend investments though. I think it'll work out well for them. They aren't going to get the max growth, but they aren't kneecapping their upside completely.

So everyone here keep buying coca-cola, gasoline, and cell phone plans to keep this country going.
YouBet
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

TXAGFAN said:

I agree with you that bond drag is way too much, especially in the modern market era where inflation kills everything not moving.

My parents are retired, and they still didn't switch over to heavy bonds. They did reallocate their equities mix to represent more blue chip, high dividend investments though. I think it'll work out well for them. They aren't going to get the max growth, but they aren't kneecapping their upside completely.

So everyone here keep buying coca-cola, gasoline, and cell phone plans to keep this country going.

Yes, my parents are 100% equities, and they are 80. My mom is tenacious. They've also never had to touch their nest egg as they live off passive RE income so there's that.

I've been telling her to dial it back at least a little since they just sold all of that RE.
one MEEN Ag
AG
I'm sure your parents don't know how to live a 'spend' lifestyle. Saving and investing have been ingrained so long in their minds its hard to switch gears. Especially when you're 80. What do you spend it on? Cruises would have been my first thought but forget that nowadays with COVID.
YouBet
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

I'm sure your parents don't know how to live a 'spend' lifestyle. Saving and investing have been ingrained so long in their minds its hard to switch gears. Especially when you're 80. What do you spend it on? Cruises would have been my first thought but forget that nowadays with COVID.
Absolutely not. My mom was a CPA and grew up in true poverty, so she doesn't know what a spend lifestyle even is.
TXAGFAN
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

My mother is younger, but getting her to spend money is a nightmare. She is a slave to her checking account balance (we recently increased her draw to artificially make her feel more "rich" ha).
one MEEN Ag
AG
YouBet said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Absolutely not. My mom was a CPA and grew up in true poverty, so she doesn't know what a spend lifestyle even is.
I would say that your mom is getting the utility out of money she wants. Peace of mind of it being there.

Money is a tool, and having the biggest tv, bass boat, RV, and truck means nothing if you can't sleep at night because of your spending. But there's clearly some room for more enjoyment of your money.

She's also seen other people's finances up close and personal and probably wants none of the problems she's seen walk through her door.
one MEEN Ag
AG
TXAGFAN said:

one MEEN Ag said:

My mother is younger, but getting her to spend money is a nightmare. She is a slave to her checking account balance (we recently increased her draw to artificially make her feel more "rich" ha).
Thats funny.

You know, this was why my parents enjoy dividend companies so much. My dad just couldn't get over the psychological barrier of selling stock of a growth company to pay for his retired hobbies. But a dividend? Yeah thats just mailbox money. Even though they know that a dividend is just a company selling you a part of itself whether you want it or not and they could do the same with a growth stock.

The hands off approach makes it 'feel like a salary that they earned' instead of 'robbing themselves of a future.'

TXAGFAN
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

TXAGFAN said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Thats funny.

You know, this was why my parents enjoy dividend companies so much. My dad just couldn't get over the psychological barrier of selling stock of a growth company to pay for his retired hobbies. But a dividend? Yeah thats just mailbox money. Even though they know that a dividend is just a company selling you a part of itself whether you want it or not and they could do the same with a growth stock.

The hands off approach makes it 'feel like a salary that they earned' instead of 'robbing themselves of a future.'

She thinks she should "save money" from her draw, but doesn't "understand" it was her money before it hit her checking account each month.

We always try to give her ideas, but she has an inherent mistrust ha (we are her kids). We've explained to her that she can keep "saving" money, but only person who will benefit is us in inheritance some day ha.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Just put 5k in the bottom of her checking account. Tell her to think of that has her new zero balance. Anything above that number can be safely drawn out. That way she cant see her account dwindle to zero before the next check hits.
TXAGFAN
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Just put 5k in the bottom of her checking account. Tell her to think of that has her new zero balance. Anything above that number can be safely drawn out. That way she cant see her account dwindle to zero before the next check hits.
She moves money back and forth in her savings account so she's too savvy. Like I liquidated a portion of a small brokerage account she has (we affectionately call it her slush fund). I sold $20k to pay for furniture and she put it in savings. She moved only $10k into checking to pay the $20k bill and then complained she had "less money" because her checking was lower than normal.

She recently started Medicare and Social Security so I tried to explain she got a $2k+ per month raise since she's getting SS and her Medicare with supplements and such is hundreds less than her old private insurance. Her takeaway…she has a new bill for Medicare.

It tests my patience a couple times a quarter, but she means well. We prepare a balance sheet every three months to try to reset perspective. It's the best we can do.

Anyways, point is millionaires come in all shapes/sizes. I just hope in 25 years I enjoy my money ha.
one MEEN Ag
AG
You're doing your mother a huge favor. Whether she appreciates it fully or can take your advice lovingly. Despite what TxAgPreacher says on other threads, you're doing the Lord's work here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.