Business & Investing
Sponsored by

millionaires

451,158 Views | 2070 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 62strat
sellthefarm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

EliteZags said:

those above with high 401K to Roth IRA ratios, are you inhibited from backdoor Roth IRA from having rollover traditional IRAs from old 401Ks?

I'm at roughly 350K between 3 401ks, and 130K in Roth IRA

have held off on rolling over any 401Ks to try to maintain being able to max backdoor Roth each year as long as possible, but wondering if I'm missing anything with being able to continue this
really value the tax free gains

Inhibited from a tax perspective, yes. I rolled my 401k and because it was both pre-tax and after-tax contributions it rolled into my Traditional and Roth IRAs so I no longer do a back door Roth.

I'm in the same boat. Still do my wife's back door but mine isn't worth the tax problem
YouBet
AG
sellthefarm said:

YouBet said:

EliteZags said:

those above with high 401K to Roth IRA ratios, are you inhibited from backdoor Roth IRA from having rollover traditional IRAs from old 401Ks?

have held off on rolling over any 401Ks to try to maintain being able to max backdoor Roth each year as long as possible, but wondering if I'm missing anything with being able to continue this

Inhibited from a tax perspective, yes. I rolled my 401k and because it was both pre-tax and after-tax contributions it rolled into my Traditional and Roth IRAs so I no longer do a back door Roth.

I'm in the same boat. Still do my wife's back door but mine isn't worth the tax problem
txaggie_08
AG
sellthefarm said:

YouBet said:

EliteZags said:

I bet you do…
Kansas Kid
I bet he wishes
Leeman
Tax time - gotta love paying for "unrealized gains" on investments. Unfortunately, will be paying these even when I retire. Ideally, would move money in tax sheltered accounts, but don't want to pay the gains on them now.
TXAGGIES
Leeman said:

Tax time - gotta love paying for "unrealized gains" on investments. Unfortunately, will be paying these even when I retire. Ideally, would move money in tax sheltered accounts, but don't want to pay the gains on them now.

Got to love paying $100k+ in federal taxes on a FY basis. What do i get for that again?
Kansas Kid
TXAGGIES said:

Leeman said:

Got to love paying $100k+ in federal taxes on a FY basis. What do i get for that again?

People complaining you didn't pay your fair share.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Leeman said:

Because of capital gains distributions in ETFs or mutual funds?
EliteZags
AG
sellthefarm said:

YouBet said:

EliteZags said:

my wife's boyfriend regularly contributes to her backdoor as well
Dill-Ag13
AG
canadianAg said:

Have always followed this thread with interest as it was started as I was in my senior year at A&M. But I don't think I've contributed anything.

I've been doing the typical rate race in corporate America and have always had the goal of having a liquid net worth of $1m by 35. Below is my current makeup. It will be heavily market dependent but we have a shot, although more than likely I think we hit it at 36 (currently 32). We've managed to do this with my wife only working part time (10-15 hours a week) for several years now after we started having kids. It can be done, we just don't keep up with the jones'. We keep vehicles a long time. We agreed to get a $30k minivan instead of a $60k suburban even though that's what everyone has. Haven't stretched housing too far. We prefer to spend money on vacations but we still try to take advantage of credit cards etc… I've also been very fortunate in my career to ride someone's coattails and progress quicker than I expected but I certainly worked hard to get noticed and paid my dues early.

It's exciting to finally have it within sight it feels like.

401k: $270k (50/50 Roth and tradition).
Company stock: $120k
Cash value of defined contribution pension: $90k
Roth IRA: $35k
Traditional IRA: $25k
HSA: $40k
Cash: $75k
Not counted: company medical retirement account, no telling if I'll survive layoffs until 50 but if I can, that account will be worth upwards of $500k

You sound just like me, must be my twin… same age. I've got the same amount of investments down to the ,000 and on track to hit $1mm at 36 based on a 6% return
Leeman
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Leeman said:

Because of capital gains distributions in ETFs or mutual funds?
Both (index funds).

I started to invest in ETF's the last few years hoping they'd have more of a tax advantage. But I've not seen it.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

canadianAg said:

Have always followed this thread with interest as it was started as I was in my senior year at A&M. But I don't think I've contributed anything.

I've been doing the typical rate race in corporate America and have always had the goal of having a liquid net worth of $1m by 35. Below is my current makeup. It will be heavily market dependent but we have a shot, although more than likely I think we hit it at 36 (currently 32). We've managed to do this with my wife only working part time (10-15 hours a week) for several years now after we started having kids. It can be done, we just don't keep up with the jones'. We keep vehicles a long time. We agreed to get a $30k minivan instead of a $60k suburban even though that's what everyone has. Haven't stretched housing too far. We prefer to spend money on vacations but we still try to take advantage of credit cards etc… I've also been very fortunate in my career to ride someone's coattails and progress quicker than I expected but I certainly worked hard to get noticed and paid my dues early.

It's exciting to finally have it within sight it feels like.

401k: $270k (50/50 Roth and tradition).
Company stock: $120k
Cash value of defined contribution pension: $90k
Roth IRA: $35k
Traditional IRA: $25k
HSA: $40k
Cash: $75k
Not counted: company medical retirement account, no telling if I'll survive layoffs until 50 but if I can, that account will be worth upwards of $500k

You sound just like me, must be my twin… same age. I've got the same amount of investments down to the ,000 and on track to hit $1mm at 36 based on a 6% return

Y'all are pretty impressive. It's one thing to have a net worth of 1MM at 35 (that's my goal). But a 'liquid' net worth of 1MM at 35 is crazy.
1Aggie99
AG
Seeing as everyone on here is in the millionaire club I'm assuming a few of you have pondered early retirement. Curious as to what number you use when projecting health insurance for the gap between early retirement age and 65? That seems to the biggest unknown.

I like to play everything really conservative so we use $1,000 per month x 2 or $24,000 annually. I'm not 100% comfortable that will cover it 8-10 years from now.
Leeman
1Aggie99 said:

Seeing as everyone on here is in the millionaire club I'm assuming a few of you have pondered early retirement. Curious as to what number you use when projecting health insurance for the gap between early retirement age and 65? That seems to the biggest unknown.

I like to play everything really conservative so we use $1,000 per month x 2 or $24,000 annually. I'm not 100% comfortable that will cover it 8-10 years from now.
Everything I've seen is $1k per person per month. But obviously that will only go up.
1Aggie99
AG
Freaking crazy but may have to jump to $36,000 which seem stupid!
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
In my estimates, I pulled some costs a while back (the costs were from a 2012 report) looking at total annual medical costs. I don't remember where I got it or what the details were but it had a breakdown by age range that I used for my family. Those numbers were:
  • 19-44: $28,224
  • 45-64 $59,067
  • 65-84: $47,098
  • 85+: $57,059

In my retirement runout I use those numbers based on my age and apply a 3% annual inflation to those with 2012 as year 0. it may be overly conservative, but i'm far enough out that i'd rather err on that side if im considering early retirement (i'm 35 now).
Cyp0111
Health Insurance is on of my key focus items. I'm working towards early retirement at 50 but seriously either starting a business or moving to something not market based by 45 and working longer for health insurance.

YouBet
AG
Leeman said:

1Aggie99 said:

Everything I've seen is $1k per person per month. But obviously that will only go up.

Minimum. When I priced Obamacare last year it was going to be $1,200-1,400 for both of us per month. We are 50 and 48.
MyMamaSaid
AG
You're absolutely correct re: health insurance in the 'gap' years between early retirement and 65.

A somewhat controversial angle I'm taking is looking at my true personal requirements for 'insurance'. I'll disclose that I'm a ChFC and studied all types of insurance as a part of that education. By my definition, insurance is a financial tool to protect against *catastrophic financial loss*. While I don't want to be overexposed to financial losses of any amount, I also am taking into consideration my very good personal health and favorable family history into how much health insurance coverage I truly require to protect against *significant* financial loss.

With that context, I'm starting to lean towards very high deductible coverages as I look to early retirement. I'm getting to the point where I want to really enjoy the best years I've got in front of me ASAP. Said another way, take a calculated risk on my good health.

Kansas Kid
MyMamaSaid said:

You're absolutely correct re: health insurance in the 'gap' years between early retirement and 65.

A somewhat controversial angle I'm taking is looking at my true personal requirements for 'insurance'. I'll disclose that I'm a ChFC and studied all types of insurance as a part of that education. By my definition, insurance is a financial tool to protect against *catastrophic financial loss*. While I don't want to be overexposed to financial losses of any amount, I also am taking into consideration my very good personal health and favorable family history into how much health insurance coverage I truly require to protect against *significant* financial loss.

With that context, I'm starting to lean towards very high deductible coverages as I look to early retirement. I'm getting to the point where I want to really enjoy the best years I've got in front of me ASAP. Said another way, take a calculated risk on my good health.

I like your thinking.

If you are retiring early, you should have enough money saved to absorb the high deductible plans and put money into an HSA for the tax benefits. If you can't absorb the hit, I would question if someone has enough to retire early.
Cyp0111
Agree with your view. I've been thinking about setting up a completely separate brokerage account for insurance costs etc. My mind I do better by bucketing savings and will help me get over the mental hump with those funds being allocated.
Mongolian Christmas
I guess on paper I'm more than a millionaire but because of investments and family expenses, I live paycheck to paycheck. Lolz.
RangerRick9211
AG
1Aggie99 said:

I'd read up on the FIRE sub-Reddit.

In RE you control MAGI. There are some interesting ACA limits that can help you.
Tanker123
I will be content financially when I make on the average $1,000/day and my mortgage payment is $0.
AgsMyDude
AG
Does real estate equity and cash flow count toward this thread's standards?

Asking for a friend
Kansas Kid
AgsMyDude said:

Asking for a friend

Definitely if it isn't primary residence.
AgsMyDude
AG
Kansas Kid said:

AgsMyDude said:

Asking for a friend

Definitely if it isn't primary residence.

Oh yeah I meant rentals
YouBet
AG
AgsMyDude said:

Asking for a friend

If you mean net worth, by definition, real estate counts.
AgsMyDude
AG
YouBet said:

AgsMyDude said:

Asking for a friend

Of course. I see several folks talking liquid net worth but then include 401k which I found odd
RangerRick9211
AG
AgsMyDude said:

YouBet said:

AgsMyDude said:

Asking for a friend

Of course. I see several folks talking liquid net worth but then include 401k which I found odd

You're the odd one!

SEP/72T, Roth ladder, loan or pay the penalty. All avenues to access a 401(k). It's not as liquid as a Taxable, but it's liquid, e.g. SEP you can start today, but have to continue the withdrawals; ladder you need 5 years of seasoning; loan access today; penalty access today.
TXTransplant
I don't include the equity in my primary residence as part of my net worth because I would have to sell it to realize that money (and then I would have to pay to live somewhere). But not including my 401k (or IRAs, for that matter) is nuts.

It may not be "easily" accessible or accessible without penalty, but it's real money that I've saved from my earnings (and that my various employers have contributed to as part of my compensation). And I'm fully vested, so outside of market fluctuations, there is no loss of value.

I do count the current value of my pension in my net worth, and that's a little more nebulous, since it's value is contingent on me remaining employed at the same place for at least another 10 years. If I left today, I would only receive a fraction of what it's current value is in cash.
AgsMyDude
AG
TXTransplant said:

I don't include the equity in my primary residence as part of my net worth because I would have to sell it to realize that money (and then I would have to pay to live somewhere). But not including my 401k (or IRAs, for that matter) is nuts.

It may not be "easily" accessible or accessible without penalty, but it's real money that I've saved from my earnings (and that my various employers have contributed to as part of my compensation). And I'm fully vested, so outside of market fluctuations, there is no loss of value.

I do count the current value of my pension in my net worth, and that's a little more nebulous, since it's value is contingent on me remaining employed at the same place for at least another 10 years. If I left today, I would only receive a fraction of what it's current value is in cash.

Again, I wasn't saying not to include retirement accounts as part of your net worth.

I am talking about in regards to LIQUID funds. Some in this thread are saying only $1M in liquid funds consider you to be a "millionaire", but are retirement accounts really liquid? If you're below a certain age you would also have to sell them to realize that money and likely with a penalty. REI is the same, just takes a little longer to realize that money.

I think we're all in agreement that both retirements and REI equity should be considered.
Kansas Kid
AgsMyDude said:

TXTransplant said:

Again, I wasn't saying not to include retirement accounts as part of your net worth.

I am talking about in regards to LIQUID funds. Some in this thread are saying only $1M in liquid funds consider you to be a "millionaire", but are retirement accounts really liquid? If you're below a certain age you would also have to sell them to realize that money and likely with a penalty. REI is the same, just takes a little longer to realize that money.

I think we're all in agreement that both retirements and REI equity should be considered.

It depends on who you talk to about whether to include retirement funds, especially things like pensions which you usually can't access even with a penalty. I personally don't count my retirement plans in my liquidity because I would never want to pay the penalty. That will change once I hit the relevant age.

The only time it matters for me is if I am doing an investment with leverage where I want to make sure I have enough liquidity to cover the debt if I have a problem. For that, I don't include REI only because it isn't readily liquid without a heavy discount but that is a personal choice.

For purposes of deciding if I am a millionaire, I look at everything but primary residence.
Caliber
AG
Net worth absolutely includes your home but that doesn't mean it should factor into your calculations for retirement or financial independence without a specific plan.

Yes, you have to live somewhere, but your home is definitely an asset if you compare a homeowner vs a renter.
If two people have a 'liquid' net worth of $800k but one is a renter and the other owns a $750k house (no mortgage), would you really say they actually have the same net worth?

They both have ongoing living costs with rent vs property tax, maintenance, etc, but the homeowners asset certainly brings a value to the table that the renter does not have, all other things being equal. They both have to live somewhere, but the homeowner has an asset that could be turned into cash while becoming a renter.
Churlish Sambino
1 million dollars certainly feels different in 2024 compared to 2013 when this thread was started.

My wife and I unfortunately became millionaires through inheritance at age 33. Becoming a millionaire was a goal of mine before that, and I remember reading this thread years before we hit the mark and feeling motivated/inspired.

I always envisioned hitting the threshold was going to be a monumental and joyous achievement that we would celebrate and take a trip or at least splurge on a nice dinner or weekend.

Then when we hit millionaire status through the death of her dad, it completely changed my perspective and feelings about it. There is a lot of emotion tied up with the money. We are of course grateful and proud to receive it, and it provides a secure future for our kids by funding their college educations. We have been good stewards of the inheritance and have saved, invested, and spent some of it on the right things. I truly believe he would be proud of what we've done with it. However, there is a bit of sadness or possibly guilt when I think about how hard he saved and that the money should have been used for his retirement. He started with nothing and worked hard his whole life and would have retired the year he passed away. Seeing how that turned out for him has significantly changed my perspective relative to careers and money.

Outside of the inheritance, we would have independently become millionaires around age 36. I started working for a construction company when I finished school, and I worked at least 50 hours per week (paid OT) and got per diem (around $75-100/day) for the first 10 years after graduation. Before having kids, we took overseas assignments for a few years where I was paid uplifts on my salary in addition to the OT and per diem. I've maxed out my 401k every year of my career. We have a couple of rental properties that have appreciated nicely and produce positive cash flow with almost no vacancies.

But I think the biggest key it is that my wife and I have been married the whole time, and neither of us are big spenders. We drive Fords, Toyotas, and Hondas and rarely get new ones, we live in a sensible house in the burbs, our kids go to public schools, and we have no debt outside of mortgages.

Good luck to everyone on the journey, and be sure to enjoy some of it along the way!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.