Business & Investing
Sponsored by

millionaires

451,137 Views | 2070 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 62strat
anscag07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, the management fees kinda hurt, without them we would gain 0.8% - 1.2%. But as absentee owners we much prefer having someone there we trust to look after them.

Plus, the woman that manages those properties has helped us in purchasing properties, by offering advice on what areas rent well, what we could expect to get in rent, plus the other normal management duties.

GarlandAg2012
AG
Can you elaborate on how you calculated your ROI? I just did a quick tabulation from my ledger and over the first year of ownership on my first property I made back 30-35% of my capital investment, after taking out maintenance and management fees.
Yesterday
AG
On a pure cash flow rate of return I'm at 23%. This is counting what I pay on the principal. If you're looking for a P&L where I wouldn't count the principal and just the interest as an expense then it would be around 58%. Both numbers do not count maintenance or management fees as I'm the manager. Granted, maintenance fees can eat into those margins quickly if you blow out an AC unit or have to repaint an enterior.

That said, I've yet to go below 20% on any of the three I have.
anscag07
AG
For the two that we paid cash for: (Yearly Rent - taxes - insurance - management fee) / Purchase price

The one we have financed: (Yearly rent - management fee) / (Yearly mortgage payment + down payment).

Not sure if that's the best way or not, but how I figured it.
GarlandAg2012
AG
So you're getting the same return on one you have financed as one you paid cash for?

I'm not surprised you're getting 10% on a place you paid cash for, in fact that's impressive. Leverage is key to my number being so high no doubt.
anscag07
AG
My original calculation included the down payment. In hind sight that was a bad way to figure seeing as how down payment is a one time fee.

Taking the down payment out of my formula ROI jumps to 39%.
bmks270
AG
quote:
quote:
Was trying to estimate return on a possible rental property last night. Didn't seem worth it. I was getting just 5 to 6% on rent, not yet subtracting any maintenance. Maybe throw in rising value over time to get 12%. For that return I'll stick to stocks, i think I can do better there.

Depends on where you're buying. If you can tolerate slumming it up on some $50-$70k houses you can do a lot better than 6%. I wouldn't get into the rental business for 6%...in fact, I don't think anybody would. I'm curious to see your numbers on that.

This is for a condo near west palm beach FL.

Ask Price $147,000
29,400 down (20%)
117,600 finance 30 yr mortgage 3.92%

$1,400 rent price
$556 Mortgage
$300 HOA fee (crazy, is what it is)
$250 property tax (2% of $147k div by 12 months)
$140 management fee (10% of rent)

Monthly net comes to $256

Annual net = $1,908

1,908 / 29,400 = 6.49%

Throw in 6% annual property appreciation on the $147,000 = $8,820.

8,820 + 1,908 = 10,728

10,728 / 29,400 = 36%.

Looks like I wasn't properly accounting for appreciation of the property.

GarlandAg2012
AG
6% appreciation? Seems aggressive. Is it in a really hot area right now?

Also it's worth noting that the other calculations in the thread are cash on cash ROI. Your scenario is different because you don't realize the gains until you sell.
bmks270
AG
quote:
6% appreciation? Seems aggressive. Is it in a really hot area right now?

Also it's worth noting that the other calculations in the thread are cash on cash ROI. Your scenario is different because you don't realize the gains until you sell.
6% was a number I saw recently for historical long term real estate returns. Maybe this is incorrect, I really don't know.

When I google cash on cash ROI it looks to be what I have calculated. According to the internet, cash on cash return takes into account only the money invested, not the purchase price. That is what I did in my example using the down payment.

bmks270
AG
It looks like real estate returns primarily come from the 5x leverage provided by financing. No wonder so many got burned in the housing market crash.

GarlandAg2012
AG
Maybe my understanding is wrong. I thought cash in cash would be like your first calculation. The one with the appreciation wouldn't be accurate h til after you sold the house but I could definitely be wrong.

And leverage can definitely eff you up if you don't respect it.
GarlandAg2012
AG
This article explains it more fully than me:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_on_cash_return
thaed137
AG
Yeah I would never include appreciation on my rental calculations. I always assume the price of the house is flat from when I purchase it in my models. I currently have 3 places that return about 15-30% depending on what type of repairs / new tenants that need make ready / etc... that goes on during the year. For that type of return, on a somewhat consistent basis, I will take the extra hassle and stress with rental ownership. If after time, I was only getting 5-10%, I would probably sell them and leave it in stocks. For now, I enjoy the diversification of real estate offers to my stocks and as a long term retirement. Currently, if I wanted to pay off my 3 rentals, I would cash flow about $50K/year after taxes. If we can get up to 6-10 properties, that is $100-$150K/year cash flow with the ability to liquidate if needed. Add in our additional 401ks/IRAs/etc and should set up for a nice retirement.

I would add that right now is a pretty how market in Texas and specifically Houston and even College Station is getting tougher to find deals. My recent purchase I got before it went on the market so there is some luck and hard work involved right now in finding good cash flowing places.
houstonag2008
Those with over a million, is it in stocks, bonds, real estate, or partnerships?
GarlandAg2012
AG
I hope it's in bombs. Would make for an interesting twist in this thread.
Post removed:
by user
dkoslov
Great thread and it could use a yearly bump. For those who have posted and lurkers hope you better off than you were a year ago.
aggiepaintrain
AG
jake how did that strategy work ?
OldArmy91
AG
anscag07 said:

Nut if they would be willing to share I would love to know what you think was the biggest factor in reaching that milestone.

Work a lot of hours, take a lot of risks and don't marry a money hog. If you work for someone else, get a side project.

If you do like everyone else, you'll likely be like everyone else....probably a credit card millionaire with mediocre results.

I've never had a 401K, 403B, Roth IRA etc. I'm hard core all or nothing. I've made over a million and lost over a million and made it back in the markets. Speaking of the market, I won't touch it with a 10' pole right now.

The market is my play hobby. Income producing properties is my go-to. Residual income with little labor effort is the name of the game. People that save up several hundred thousand, quit their jobs, and don't have any income stream will blow through their 'retirement' in short order. Fixed income yields are non-existent.

Don't rely on anyone else.
HouAggie
AG
Quote:

People that save up several hundred thousand, quit their jobs, and don't have any income stream will blow through their 'retirement' in short order. Fixed income yields are non-existent.
Why would they quit their jobs with only several hundred thousand?
gigemhilo
AG
Quote:

I've never had a 401K, 403B, Roth IRA etc. I'm hard core all or nothing.

Short term this may give you a bump up, but long term the advantage of "reinvestment" of tax savings is too much to ignore. Play the long game while you play the short game. You have to diversify what you do. All your eggs in one basket (all market, all real estate, all tax-deferred, all non tax deferred, all day-trading, etc...) is not a good strategy. You will eventually get burned.
HouAggie said:

Quote:

People that save up several hundred thousand, quit their jobs, and don't have any income stream will blow through their 'retirement' in short order. Fixed income yields are non-existent.
Conceivably, per the Trinity Study, you could retire on less than $1M in equities and have a 95% chance of success based on the last 100 years or so of market returns (success defined as not going bk). $900,000 * 4% annual withdrawal = $36,000 spend per year. You can live like a king in a lot places (Europe, Asia, Latin America) on less than $36,000 per year. Many people retiring on less than $1M in the US also have fully paid off homes so spend little on housing in retirement.
2012Ag
AG
Any new millionaires out there that want to share some wisdom?
aggiebq03+
Start your savings early and delay a few of the things you want. This was what we did and I am glad we did it. Now we take trips and have extra money because the house is paid for and retirement plans are in a great spot for our age. If the markets did even average I wouldn't need to save anymore for retirement, but then I'd rather continue to save and retire earlier if possible.
AgCPA95
AG
26.2 said:

HouAggie said:

Quote:

Conceivably, per the Trinity Study, you could retire on less than $1M in equities and have a 95% chance of success based on the last 100 years or so of market returns (success defined as not going bk). $900,000 * 4% annual withdrawal = $36,000 spend per year. You can live like a king in a lot places (Europe, Asia, Latin America) on less than $36,000 per year. Many people retiring on less than $1M in the US also have fully paid off homes so spend little on housing in retirement.
Interesting discussion. Most Americans that have $900,000 would have likely be people that also lived lifestyle that costs well in excess of $36k per year. Even with a fully paid off house that has a value of $300,000, you are looking at roughly $10,000 per year just in property taxes and insurance here in Texas. Of course it is doable and you could start tapping into your equity, but you are talking a MAJOR lifestyle change in retirement for most.
The Original AG 76
AG
AgCPA95 said:

26.2 said:

HouAggie said:

Quote:

Interesting discussion. Most Americans that have $900,000 would have likely be people that also lived lifestyle that costs well in excess of $36k per year. Even with a fully paid off house that has a value of $300,000, you are looking at roughly $10,000 per year just in property taxes and insurance here in Texas. Of course it is doable and you could start tapping into your equity, but you are talking a MAJOR lifestyle change in retirement for most.
Need to add in that those $900,000 "retirees" also are going to receive anywhere from $36000 (single income) to $60,000 ( dual income) a year on SS. ( please lets don't start the " aint gonna be there for me" line..for most of us it will) . Let just say that the retiree gets $50k in SS plus a teacher benefit for example. This is probably the majority of folks who were able to have that $300k house and save close to a million bucks . You are now looking at a yearly " income" of around $75-80k. Still probably require a lifestyle change but not a YUGE one for most.

AND I'm glad that this thread is BACK..it was a great one...
Ragoo
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

AgCPA95 said:

26.2 said:

HouAggie said:

Quote:

Need to add in that those $900,000 "retirees" also are going to receive anywhere from $36000 (single income) to $60,000 ( dual income) a year on SS. ( please lets don't start the " aint gonna be there for me" line..for most of us it will) . Let just say that the retiree gets $50k in SS plus a teacher benefit for example. This is probably the majority of folks who were able to have that $300k house and save close to a million bucks . You are now looking at a yearly " income" of around $75-80k. Still probably require a lifestyle change but not a YUGE one for most.

how can we just say this when teachers do not pay into SS nor do they get the benefit when they retire?
Tonyperkis
AG
Did you ever get this deal? I'm wonder how it turned out. I never model appreciation for ROI calculation (Cash on cash and total). The only time I use appreciation is for IRR which I use to understand the reward potential if appreciation does occur.

However, two years ago would have been a great time to buy in West Palm Beach.
tamutaylor12
I think he was saying a teacher plus a spouse. A teacher with 30 years in the field and five highest years average of 55k would have an annual retirement of 38k. Now what they would actually bring home depends on a lot of other factors. The gap between retirement and Medicare seems to be the biggest problem for most. I'm just planning on working for a long time.
The Original AG 76
AG
Ragoo said:

The Original AG 76 said:

how can we just say this when teachers do not pay into SS nor do they get the benefit when they retire?
I was just building a hypothetical Mr n Mrs Middle Class...a department manager and a teacher .. can probably expect around $50k COMBINED.
Ragoo
AG
understood now. as a dual retirement income, yes agree.
62strat
AG
AgCPA95 said:

26.2 said:

HouAggie said:

Quote:

Don't live in Texas?

Serious answer; when you retire, you typically downsize. Why do you still need, or want, the 4 bedroom 4 bathroom house when you retire? Hopefully, your kids have their own families and 4/4 house so you can visit them. You and wife get a condo/apt, an RV, etc.. My father in law lives on lake conroe in a glorified trailer park, and because he is required to travel for 1 month out of the year (by the 'neighborhood'), he pays $0 in yearly property tax (or some loophole like that). Thousand trails, it's like an rv park, but mostly retired people.

Also, this hypothetical family you've identified included kids; clothes for kids, toys/cars for kids, food for kids, college for kids, eating out with kids, entertaining kids, etc. All that is gone when you retire (presumably), as well as mortgage, so that same 'lifestyle' is much cheaper now.

$3k a month goes a long way with no mortgage, kids or car note/commuting costs, etc. Think about your own situation, and do the math. It works just fine for me, and I'd say we live an middle-upper class lifestyle.

I'm in late 30s, and hopefully can easily reach $1mm in by mid 40s and $2mm by 55. Wife retires at 55, and gets $35k or so a year from pension. College for two kids of course can change a lot, but my kids have very generous grandparents
drill4oil78
AG
Dan Scott said:

Everybody I know that has become a millionaire did so because they started their own business. You're not going to get rich working for somebody else. They said it takes hard work, ability to take risks, and a little luck.
This
The Original AG 76
AG
drill4oil78 said:

Dan Scott said:

Everybody I know that has become a MULTImillionaire did so because they started their own business. You're not going to get rich working for somebody else. They said it takes hard work, ability to take risks, and a little luck.
This

Modified it a bit so as to be accurate. You can be a salaryman and via hard work , sound spending and a bit of common sense still end up with a few million . You don't have to own the hog farm

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.