Business & Investing
Sponsored by

millionaires

451,192 Views | 2070 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 62strat
Petrino1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LMCane said:

I think it would be helpful if this thread got back to how to amass net worth of a million dollars.

which 401K mutual funds?

which private brokerage stocks?

which ETF?

how much crypto?

which real estate to buy?
Its simple. Make a high income. Save most of that income. Invest your savings into a low cost index fund like VTSAX. You should have a million net worth in 7-10 years if you follow this.
GE
AG
ea1060 said:

LMCane said:

I think it would be helpful if this thread got back to how to amass net worth of a million dollars.

which 401K mutual funds?

which ETF?

how much crypto?

Its simple. Make a high income. Save most of that income. Invest your savings into a low cost index fund like VTSAX. You should have a million net worth in 7-10 years if you follow this.
That first part about the high income isn't that simple.
TXAGFAN
AG
GE said:

ea1060 said:

LMCane said:

which 401K mutual funds?

which ETF?

how much crypto?

That first part about the high income isn't that simple.
I believe that's the formula most followed here with exception of a few with large windfall transactions. Less income, longer timeframe to hit 7 figures.
MS08
AG
whoop1995 said:

gigemhilo said:

Many who you would think are millionaires are in fact NOT millionaires - because they spend every dime they make and have an insane amount of debt.

I read somewhere once that the most common vehicle owned by a millionaire was a Ford F150. This was because there are more farmers that are by definition millionaires than there are big shots. There is a lot of truth to that around these parts. Had a client pass away a couple years back that lived in a worthless shack but had almost $2mil in savings bonds in the bank. Crazy!
My father in law and I would go into town and he would run into some of his friends or people known to him and after he was done we would get in the truck and he would say "all hat no cattle" after a few of them. I looked at him with a blank stare. He went on to explain that it is better to have cattle/money than "all hat"/appearance as most all hats are broke and you could tell it in their language, mannerisms, dress and playthings.

I decided to be a cattle guy.

Wow, responded to a comment from 2013! In the words of Ron Burgundy, "I'm not mad, I'm impressed."

Gramps was a cattle man in East Texas by Lake Tyler. He started that at 68 years of age, almost made the poor Midwest farmer a millionaire before he went. One of the sayings he told us before he passed was that, in his earlier years, "I should have risked more."

Cheers,
jamey
AG
House appreciation has probably made a lot of people millionaires on paper anyway over the last few years.
jagvocate
AG
MS08 said:

whoop1995 said:

gigemhilo said:

Many who you would think are millionaires are in fact NOT millionaires - because they spend every dime they make and have an insane amount of debt.

I read somewhere once that the most common vehicle owned by a millionaire was a Ford F150. This was because there are more farmers that are by definition millionaires than there are big shots. There is a lot of truth to that around these parts. Had a client pass away a couple years back that lived in a worthless shack but had almost $2mil in savings bonds in the bank. Crazy!
My father in law and I would go into town and he would run into some of his friends or people known to him and after he was done we would get in the truck and he would say "all hat no cattle" after a few of them. I looked at him with a blank stare. He went on to explain that it is better to have cattle/money than "all hat"/appearance as most all hats are broke and you could tell it in their language, mannerisms, dress and playthings.

I decided to be a cattle guy.

Wow, responded to a comment from 2013! In the words of Ron Burgundy, "I'm not mad, I'm impressed."

Gramps was a cattle man in East Texas by Lake Tyler. He started that at 68 years of age, almost made the poor Midwest farmer a millionaire before he went. One of the sayings he told us before he passed was that, in his earlier years, "I should have risked more."

Cheers,
If you had to pick a place to have land and run cattle you could do a lot worse than by Lake Tyler
YouBet
AG
jamey said:

House appreciation has probably made a lot of people millionaires on paper anyway over the last few years.
It's one of the reasons why the number of early retirements is up over historical trends.
Cyp0111
Maybe, where are people moving right now to realize that value ?
YouBet
AG
Cyp0111 said:

Maybe, where are people moving right now to realize that value ?
Can't answer the latter but I've actually seen data that early retirements have increased in number because of COVID + home values skyrocketing. You also have to factor some companies offering early retirement packages to shed tenured, highly paid employees when they suddenly found themselves underwater and not knowing how long the downturn would last.
administrative errors
YouBet said:

jamey said:

It's one of the reasons why the number of early retirements is up over historical trends.

Unfortunately decision making for most, TBD.
Sock for BI board
Sock for BI board said:

TDLR: I'm about to turn 40 and my net worth is around $2.5 million

Roth IRA: $500k
Brokerage: $125k
Private investments into friends' ventures: $75k (one real estate, one start up, one Private Equity)
Equity in House: $200k (value less debt)
Value of business I'm selling in 2019: $900k (according to boutique ibanker in the space who is selling)
Value of business I'm keeping: $600k

• Income * Age / 10 says I should be at $2 million. I was behind this rule for almost my entire career except for the last few years.

I feel I will have reached FIRE at $3.5 million liquid with house paid off. Kids are 5 and 8 so I figure I have at least 10 years of work left. I'd like to be done at 50 and that seems very doable. The biggest concern (like all) is health insurance from 50 to 65. I debate if I want to risk off and sell all the businesses and coast in corporate for the next 10 years or if I want to risk on and start another business. We'll see.

I made a long post back on page 22 (1/6/19). I thought it was time to update it. A small portion of it is quoted above.

TLDR: Now 43 and my net worth is around $5.2 million. Roughly doubled since age 40.

Roth IRA: $536k (made some bad investment moves and missed a lot of gains the last few years.)
Brokerage: $3.1 million
Private investments into friends' ventures: $300k (one real estate, two start up, two Private Equity)
Equity in House: $400k (value less debt)
Value of business I sold in 2019: $750k (Thought it was going to be more like $900k) ***already included in brokerage above
Value of business I still have: $1 million (net of debt and taxes on sale)
Only personal debt is 8 years left on a 15 year mortgage at 2.25% (business uses a line of credit)

• Income * Age / 10 says I should be at $2.6 million. I was behind this rule for almost my entire career until about age 37-38.

The primary purpose of my post is to update my thoughts on FIRE. When I wrote my original post back in 2018, I really believed I could FIRE at $3.5 million liquid with a paid off house. My views have changed considerably. However, it is good to have goals because I've essentially reached my FIRE goal I set at age 40 much faster than I thought I would (partially just due to having the goal.)

I could sell my business (net debt and taxes) and be sitting at around $4.5 million in investments with a paid off house. I'm very confident I can be done around age 50 with $5-6 million. However, I feel to be done today at age 43, I need something more like $7.5 million. At 43, I have a lot of expenses I want to cover for my kids over the next 7-10 years (and hopefully a lot of years left to live). Thanks for reading. Just wanted to share.

***Edited to clarify business values
Aggie71013
AG
How did you go from $125k to $3.1 million in brokerage in 3 years?
one MEEN Ag
AG
Tesla calls and then yoloing on some oil and gas stocks.
Sock for BI board
Aggie71013 said:

Pandemic businesses - COVID drive thru testing sites, PPE imports from China then putting all that money in the market in June 2020 when the S&P was around 3000
riverrataggie
AG
Sock for BI board said:

Aggie71013 said:

Pandemic businesses - COVID drive thru testing sites, PPE imports from China then putting all that money in the market in June 2020 when the S&P was around 3000

Oh. Then you are welcome. I despise and envy you at the same time.
909Ag2006
AG
I guess I'm a millionaire.

401k - $350k
Lot we own outright and are building on - $250k
Cash still on hand from sale of home in 2021 - $190k
Value of my share of family ranch - $250k

Edit-

Most of that is community property so I'm not really a millionaire.
Meh
"They weren't raiding a Girl Scout troop looking for overdue library books."
fka ftc
Sock for BI board said:

Sock for BI board said:

TDLR: I'm about to turn 40 and my net worth is around $2.5 million

Roth IRA: $500k
Brokerage: $125k
Private investments into friends' ventures: $75k (one real estate, one start up, one Private Equity)
Equity in House: $200k (value less debt)
Value of business I'm selling in 2019: $900k (according to boutique ibanker in the space who is selling)
Value of business I'm keeping: $600k

• Income * Age / 10 says I should be at $2 million. I was behind this rule for almost my entire career except for the last few years.

I feel I will have reached FIRE at $3.5 million liquid with house paid off. Kids are 5 and 8 so I figure I have at least 10 years of work left. I'd like to be done at 50 and that seems very doable. The biggest concern (like all) is health insurance from 50 to 65. I debate if I want to risk off and sell all the businesses and coast in corporate for the next 10 years or if I want to risk on and start another business. We'll see.

I made a long post back on page 22 (1/6/19). I thought it was time to update it. A small portion of it is quoted above.

TLDR: Now 43 and my net worth is around $5.2 million. Roughly doubled since age 40.

Roth IRA: $536k (made some bad investment moves and missed a lot of gains the last few years.)
Brokerage: $3.1 million
Private investments into friends' ventures: $300k (one real estate, two start up, two Private Equity)
Equity in House: $400k (value less debt)
Value of business I sold in 2019: $750k (Thought it was going to be more like $900k)
Value of business I still have: $1 million
Only personal debt is 8 years left on a 15 year mortgage at 2.25% (business uses a line of credit)

• Income * Age / 10 says I should be at $2.6 million. I was behind this rule for almost my entire career until about age 37-38.

The primary purpose of my post is to update my thoughts on FIRE. When I wrote my original post back in 2018, I really believed I could FIRE at $3.5 million liquid with a paid off house. My views have changed considerably. However, it is good to have goals because I've essentially reached my FIRE goal I set at age 40 much faster than I thought I would (partially just due to having the goal.)

I could sell my business and be sitting at around $4.5 million in investments with a paid off house. I'm very confident I can be done around age 50 with $5-6 million. However, I feel to be done today at age 43, I need something more like $7.5 million. At 43, I have a lot of expenses I want to cover for my kids over the next 7-10 years (and hopefully a lot of years left to live). Thanks for reading. Just wanted to share.

You have done very well and congrats are deserved. Couple of questions on the math above. Not intended as criticism, just clarification.

How are you valuing private investments? I would not count anything above either original investment or you current interest in earnings / losses booked to date - and reasonably expectation that any debts paid and receivables collected if you / they had to liquidate the business in less than 90 days.

For the business sold, where are the proceeds from that in your other calculations? Assume either in Brokerage or invested in private investments. Seems like it is double counted but maybe I am missing something.

Depending on the nature of your business, business credit lines are typically accompanied by personal guaranties and should be factored into your net worth.

I am 44 and aiming to be over $10MM before I declare FIRE. Even then I plan to keep a couple businesses running with the idea to not hit the nest egg for everyday living expenses.
ToddyHill
AG
Quote:

I would say that if one doesn't have a high income they should educate themselves and buy a few technology stocks (I'm of the strong opinion that an educated individual can make better returns than those that manage mutual funds). Don't trade...invest. I did that...and I did it with less than a year's salary. It took a little bit of time (15 years), but I guess I would say I'm in a category that will provide a very comfortable retirement.
JAG03
AG
$boon
Sock for BI board
fka ftc said:

You have done very well and congrats are deserved. Couple of questions on the math above. Not intended as criticism, just clarification.

How are you valuing private investments? I would not count anything above either original investment or you current interest in earnings / losses booked to date - and reasonably expectation that any debts paid and receivables collected if you / they had to liquidate the business in less than 90 days.

For the business sold, where are the proceeds from that in your other calculations? Assume either in Brokerage or invested in private investments. Seems like it is double counted but maybe I am missing something.

Depending on the nature of your business, business credit lines are typically accompanied by personal guaranties and should be factored into your net worth.

I am 44 and aiming to be over $10MM before I declare FIRE. Even then I plan to keep a couple businesses running with the idea to not hit the nest egg for everyday living expenses.
Valuing private investments at cost or valuation from last round (especially if it is a large operating profitable business or occupied real estate).

To clarify, business sold was already in brokerage (after taxes) so it looked double counted in my post. Agreed business values should be stated net of debt and taxes for net worth calcs.

Spurswin5
ABATTBQ11 said:

I lost my maternal grandfather a couple years after getting married. I'm really glad he got to be there in retrospect, and I think ours was the only wedding he got to be at out of 12 grandchildren. My last grandparent is my maternal grandmother, and it makes me really happy that she's gotten to meet our kids and my nephew. My cousin is due with the fourth great grandchild in a couple months. My wife's maternal grandparents are still around. Counting our two, they've got four great grandchildren as well. I'm really happy our oldest is able to get to know all of her great grandparents and is at an age she might remember them.

And yes, at some point family becomes the most important thing. My grandmother and my wife's grandparents have retired comfortably and aren't exactly wanting for much. The most important things to them are seeing their kids and grandkids and great grandkids. At that age, stuff is mostly just stuff, and the really important things are relationships and the time you get to spend worth people you love. I think that should be as much a part of retirement planning as financials.

100% agree
I retired at 57
About to be 59

I'm glad my Aggie wife and I had kids in our early 30's since my dad Class of '60 was struck down with cancer at 72 and lived a perfectly healthy life

My brother died in a car wreck and my mom is near the end in Hospice

I treasure the memories of all of us together with their "precious" grandkids.

I was 33 and 36 when our two boys were born
I am lucky to be very fit and in good health so it was great to throw baseballs with him while he was in High School (I stopped once he went D1 as a pitcher ball travels too fast lol).

But I had friends who were out of shape and I threw balls with their kids because they were too old to play with them

The problem now is what If our kids wait until they are mid-30's to have kids (assuming that they get married and choose to have them)? We will be late 60's-early 70's by then. But I can't control that end of the equation.

Life is a balance just like the portfolios we are talking about. Enjoy it.
CC09LawAg
Spurswin5 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

I lost my maternal grandfather a couple years after getting married. I'm really glad he got to be there in retrospect, and I think ours was the only wedding he got to be at out of 12 grandchildren. My last grandparent is my maternal grandmother, and it makes me really happy that she's gotten to meet our kids and my nephew. My cousin is due with the fourth great grandchild in a couple months. My wife's maternal grandparents are still around. Counting our two, they've got four great grandchildren as well. I'm really happy our oldest is able to get to know all of her great grandparents and is at an age she might remember them.

And yes, at some point family becomes the most important thing. My grandmother and my wife's grandparents have retired comfortably and aren't exactly wanting for much. The most important things to them are seeing their kids and grandkids and great grandkids. At that age, stuff is mostly just stuff, and the really important things are relationships and the time you get to spend worth people you love. I think that should be as much a part of retirement planning as financials.

100% agree
I retired at 57
About to be 59

I'm glad my Aggie wife and I had kids in our early 30's since my dad Class of '60 was struck down with cancer at 72 and lived a perfectly healthy life

My brother died in a car wreck and my mom is near the end in Hospice

I treasure the memories of all of us together with their "precious" grandkids.

I was 33 and 36 when our two boys were born
I am lucky to be very fit and in good health so it was great to throw baseballs with him while he was in High School (I stopped once he went D1 as a pitcher ball travels too fast lol).

But I had friends who were out of shape and I threw balls with their kids because they were too old to play with them

The problem now is what If our kids wait until they are mid-30's to have kids (assuming that they get married and choose to have them)? We will be late 60's-early 70's by then. But I can't control that end of the equation.

Life is a balance just like the portfolios we are talking about. Enjoy it.
I have been thinking about this a lot lately and trying to get some of my younger friends to understand it.

In one to two generations, if we keep up with people putting off having kids, kids who know or have any meaningful relationship with their grandparents will become less and less. Kind of sad to think about.
cmk10
AG
I think what is also very important is the "buy in" from your spouse. That goes a LONG way in terms of being able to save up/invest.
Cyp0111
It's as important as anything.
LMCane
jamey said:

that's really not accumulated wealth

unless they own the house outright- if they sell the property they have to move to just as expensive other property.

sure, our houses have gone up in value- but so has every other house in which we would have to live in the future.
LMCane
ToddyHill said:

Quote:

I would say that if one doesn't have a high income they should educate themselves and buy a few technology stocks (I'm of the strong opinion that an educated individual can make better returns than those that manage mutual funds). Don't trade...invest. I did that...and I did it with less than a year's salary. It took a little bit of time (15 years), but I guess I would say I'm in a category that will provide a very comfortable retirement.

I watch a ton of retirement planning videos on youtube each night.

one top notch research firm puts out how much it takes to have a million dollars at age 65-

if you have $535,000 in savings at age 50 you would be a millionaire at 65

(providing a 7% annual rate of return)

SP 500 has averaged nearly 10% historic rate of return since 1950
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Still reported on net worth no?
They have the option to sell and rent if they would like.
LostInLA07
AG
I generally agree but recent empty nesters and retirees might have an opportunity to downsize and end up with a lot more cash than they would have had a year or two ago. It's situational but wealth created from housing appreciation should factor in. Relos from California are an example playing out in front of us. They are essentially upgrading their housing while still walking away with a bunch of cash they can invest elsewhere by moving to a cheaper market.

Obviously there's no real benefit if you're in a "starter home" or something you can't downsize from and you're already in a market that is "cheaper" or can't relocate to a lower cost location for retirement.
MAS444
AG
By definition, home equity is included in total net worth. Whether or not you want to use it for planning purposes is a different issue.
LMCane
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

yes that is maybe what my plan will be..

on the other hand, rent is going up even faster than home prices for purchase.

so the cash you just booked on the sale of your home is going down in value.

and you lose the tax advantages of home ownership. and it's just not as beneficial in retirement to rent over owning.
LMCane
LostInLA07 said:

I generally agree but recent empty nesters and retirees might have an opportunity to downsize and end up with a lot more cash than they would have had a year or two ago. It's situational but wealth created from housing appreciation should factor in. Relos from California are an example playing out in front of us. They are essentially upgrading their housing while still walking away with a bunch of cash they can invest elsewhere by moving to a cheaper market.

Obviously there's no real benefit if you're in a "starter home" or something you can't downsize from and you're already in a market that is "cheaper" or can't relocate to a lower cost location for retirement.

great points- but obviously most retirees are trying to get to Arizona, Montana, Florida, South Carolina.

all expensive real estate markets
MAS444
AG
But also low property tax states.
RangerRick9211
AG
LMCane said:

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

yes that is maybe what my plan will be..

on the other hand, rent is going up even faster than home prices for purchase.

so the cash you just booked on the sale of your home is going down in value.

and you lose the tax advantages of home ownership. and it's just not as beneficial in retirement to rent over owning.
I feel like we do this every month now.

Home equity can also be financed out or collateralized. It's not as illiquid as you think. Assets - Liabilities = Net Worth.

Edit: Oh, just saw on the Stocks thread it's Barnes 2.0. Figures.
62strat
AG
LMCane said:

jamey said:

unless they own the house outright- if they sell the property they have to move to just as expensive other property.

this is not 100% true at all.
Do you not know of the 1000s of Californians moving to TX or CO bringing hundreds of thousands of equity with them, buying cash and having money left over??

Or the retired person selling and doing a big downsize.

Just a few examples of the fallacy in your statement.

Edit, I see this was already brought up by others.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.