Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

203,239 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by HarleySpoon
Richard Trickle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Go a little further south to Whiteman AFB on google earth/maps and you can see a B2 that ran off the runway.
falcon09
AG
Richard Trickle said:

Go a little further south to Whiteman AFB on google earth/maps and you can see a B2 that ran off the runway.
That's pretty wild. It looks like the imagery was from the day it happened.

Looks like the jet had something wrong with the left main gear. I don't have any kind of insider info, but it looks like the crew was able to hold the left wing off the ground until about halfway down the runway. The mark from the wing is about 2,000 ft long before they lost airspeed and enough control authority to keep it straight and on the runway. I'd say the crew did a pretty good job of saving a couple billion dollars worth of airplane.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Interesting flights on Flightradar24 today

SPF250
AG
Didn't know we had an OL coaching prospect in Ukraine.
AgLA06
AG
Interdiction flight?
CanyonAg77
AG
AgLA06 said:

Interdiction flight?

Both of those are electronic signal intelligence aircraft. RC-135s or similar

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/104608/rc-135vw-rivet-joint/
PA24
AG
My new girlfriend, we closed on her yesterday. 58P

src94
AG
Nice ride
src94
CharlieBrown17
AG
I've been watching the Eastern Ukraine air space a good bit the last few days.

Lots of C-17s from the UK. Lots of signal listeners like above. A few tankers out over the water and today a Global hawk showed up for the first time I've seen.
AgLA06
AG
Amazing bird.

I'm jealous. Those seem to be a great value between cost, range, and useful load. I'd love to kick in for a ride if you happen to be in Houston and just want some hours.
PA24
AG
AgLA06 said:

Amazing bird.

I'm jealous. Those seem to be a great value between cost, range, and useful load. I'd love to kick in for a ride if you happen to be in Houston and just want some hours.
Will see if we can make that happen
Centex99
AG
PA24 said:

Nice, selling the other plane? Where are you located?
src94
AG
You're gonna have to change your username now.
src94
TxAg20
AG
PA24 said:

Nice!

I owned TJ-495 a few airplanes ago.
PA24
AG
Piper will always be my first love but this Baron was too good of a deal to pass up. Estate sale, owner died of C19. Ferry it back from NM next week. Out of annual since Dec '19, he died early 2020.

I will post more pics when I get it home.

MaroonDontRun
AG
PA24 said:

Piper will always be my first love but this Baron was too good of a deal to pass up. Estate sale, owner died of C19. Ferry it back from NM next week. Out of annual since Dec '19, he died early 2020.

I will post more pics when I get it home.

I know this one fell into your lap but my buddy's twin commanche is hard to beat. It is what I like to call the twin Mooney.
AgLA06
AG
Where in NM?
Guppy
AG
Wonderful plane! Only logged 13.2 hrs in a 58 Baron but it was def one of my favorite twins.
PA24
AG
KABQ

From AC to a pee tube, this plane has it all.
PA24
AG
Dumbdumb
Anyone ever flown into KMEZ? Ouachita Mountains? Pretty flight. H81-KMEZ. Felt like Tom cruise making a drop lol! Flew a 182M to get a new paint job there.

average_joker
AG
I picked up a Skyhawk there in 2013, and flew back to IWS. There was a warm front that carried light rain, IMC, and a 40kt headwind. The flight took me 4.5 Hobbs and I didn't see the ground or the sky from about a minute after takeoff to maybe a couple before touchdown. I was so glad to have the flight time and log actual instruments!
AgLA06
AG
PA24 said:

AgLA06 said:

Amazing bird.

Will see if we can make that happen

Just let me know!
Polaris75
Dumbdumb said:

Anyone ever flown into KMEZ? Ouachita Mountains? Pretty flight. H81-KMEZ. Felt like Tom cruise making a drop lol! Flew a 182M to get a new paint job there.

Nice
CharlieBrown17
AG
That's beautiful area

Haven't been to the airport but there's a few low levels out there I've flown. IR117 and IR120 if I remember right
CharlieBrown17
AG
Had a really lucky/awesome experience on the road last week.

Ascension Island is a super remote island between Africa and South America that does a lot of radar/space tracking type work. They get resupplied with food,etc every 2 weeks. Usually it's a 767 or similar but their runway is limited to 4600 feet due to construction so it's been C-17s making the run for a while. We were hard quarantined while we there and the sun didn't play nice for pictures on the way in but it's an absolutely beautiful island.

BlackGoldAg2011
AG
BaitShack said:

I'm just gonna leave this right here...

Just started getting into SIM flying (only way i get to fly the real thing is if my wife leaves me), and so have been nerding out on learning all things flight related. Which brought me here to reading this thread, and this video. and gosh that is sketchy looking. That looks like some of my flight sim landings where i screw the approach and should do a go around but say to myself, "i bet i can get this on the ground, and if not, its just some pixels on a screen". been flying St. barts recently and when i have that thought i'm about 50/50 putting on the runway vs the ocean. maybe a real pilot could correct me that this was fine, but i can't imagine trying to finish this approach in real life.
AgLA06
AG
Holy crap.

I found this in the comments.

"This is a captain being guided on how to land at the most difficult airport in the world. Unfortunately the other two captains who land this strip on a regular basis have allowed their small Bhutan airport comradery to foster a work environment that is too casual (there are very few pilots who are allowed to land there)."

This must be like a runway a buddy told me about in South America where commercial airliners are told to line up on the red sheep herder shack on the nearest mountain because you can't see the airport through the clouds.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
here's what the approach is supposed to look like

and google earth of the approach

gonna have to see if x plane has this airport and give it a shot this evening
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Other than the captain playing tour guide and pointing out landmarks.
AgLA06
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

All the skid marks from hard landings in the same spot on the runway is eye opening.
CanyonAg77
AG
AgLA06 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

All the skid marks from hard landings in the same spot on the runway is eye opening.
Looking out the front window and not seeing the airport at all, until the last minute, is what got me.

Looked online, the airport is at 7300 feet altitude, the mountains are around 18,000 feet.

From the ground:

AgLA06
AG
I really like all the multi story house they built on the elevated ridge that blocks the front of the runway.
The Kraken
AG
What an idiot!

https://www.flyingmag.com/former-olympian-under-investigation-by-faa/

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
CanyonAg77
AG
https://texags.com/forums/63/topics/3264781

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.