Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

203,248 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by HarleySpoon
Pahdz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tegucigalpa, Honduras?
AgLA06
AG
I can't remember and I've lost touch with that friend.

I just remember laughing historically when he told the story.
oragator
While Paro is obviously crazier, that reminded me a bit of landing in Cusco.
10000 plus feet or whatever it is, and about 5-10 minutes out we took a hard left over the mountains, looked like the wing could almost touch the peek as we did. Then came up of the spine of the valley into Cusco. Super cool to do. Just glad we had good weather, that's not an airport to be trifled with.
Pahdz
Check out some YouTube videos of it looks pretty wild
oragator
https://www.hiawathaworldonline.com/news/national/watch-british-airways-plane-aborts-shaky-landing-attempt/video_317f335c-91d7-5cb4-9106-5a7880b36922.html

I would have peed on the seat on that lurch.
CaptnCarl
AG
Do any of you have experiences to share of aircraft partnership? Good, bad, and the ugly.

Thinking the more detail the operating framework is addressed ahead of time, the better.
Centex99
AG
CaptnCarl said:

Do any of you have experiences to share of aircraft partnership? Good, bad, and the ugly.

Thinking the more detail the operating framework is addressed ahead of time, the better.
I had a partnership I created in the Austin area, then moved up to DFW and had to sell my share. I'd be glad to help out with whatever questions you have. Where are you located and what kind of plane looking for?
I'm looking for a new partnership up here in the DFW area...
CaptnCarl
AG
How did the partnership handle fuel expenses, maintenance and upgrade decisions, and general accounting? Were there governing documents to address operating structure? I've thought about accruing additional hourly fees for overhaul, interior, avionics, etc.
fire09
AG
I've participated in several and feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further.

Key takeaways-
Treat it like a business, not just a group of enthusiasts, and stick to the rules.

Find partners that have a similar philosophy on safety, maintenance, etc. Make sure these partners understand true cost of ownership.

Establish a maintence fund that replenishes based on usage, as well as a minimum reserve.

Bylaws that definitely need to be established:

Fuel and hourly rates and how they can be adjusted
Reservation time limits
Location of aircraft
Divestment options for partners
Member currency rules
Maintenance vs aircraft damage and responsibilities
Aircraft upgrades and major capital improvements

Couple more I'm sure, but these are the ones I remember we definitely used. AOPA has a good resource library for boilerplate partnership docs. I would start there.

AlaskanAg08
AG
Anyone have photos of the gear up landing by the 172 at KLVJ today?
Aero95
AG
Re: partnerships... Choose wisely! They can be harder than marriage!

Seriously, business first, and figure out everyone's philosophy, skills, temperament, etc. Someone might be a DIY/sweat equity person, and another might be a throw keys and blank check to a shop person. They are not likely going to make good partners.

The right partnership can be great, and enable you to fly when you otherwise might not be able to afford it. But they can go very wrong too.
oragator
https://www.fox5ny.com/news/southwest-passenger-arrested-for-masturbating-4-times-during-flight
CanyonAg77
AG
Aggiemike96
AG
Well, I finally am getting started on my PPL. I did a few discovery flights and have chosen a school in Albuquerque. The winds here have hampered any attempt at kicking this thing off. However, we were able to get my first flight lesson in yesterday.

Here was the flight. I bet ya have some questions. [Edits: Getting the image posted.]

CanyonAg77
AG
Good for you. Fly as often as you can. Minimum of twice a week.

I soloed in about 6 hours and got license at 40.5 or so. I worked at the Ag Ex station next to the LBB airport, and flew almost every day after work. Not letting skill deteriorate is what made it go fast.

For fun, go out to Moriarity and get a flight or two in a sailplane.
Aggiemike96
AG
Second flight lesson this morning. Vestibular issues were much improved via peppermint. I sipped peppermint tea prior to takeoff and chewed on peppermint candy twice during the flight as a preventative. Did not have any discomfort.

FlightAware from Monday's Flight (if on a computer, scroll down to the map and click the play button):
Monday, 4/11/2022

FlightAware from Thursday's Flight (not sure what all the noise is on the map, weather was perfect):
Thursday, 4/14/2022
rebag00
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

Second flight lesson this morning. Vestibular issues were much improved via peppermint. I sipped peppermint tea prior to takeoff and chewed on peppermint candy twice during the flight as a preventative. Did not have any discomfort.

FlightAware from Monday's Flight (if on a computer, scroll down to the map and click the play button):
Monday, 4/11/2022

FlightAware from Thursday's Flight (not sure what all the noise is on the map, weather was perfect):
Thursday, 4/14/2022

I always used to use cinnamon flavored gum or candy! Glad it worked.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Spent the last six weeks learning a new trick

SCQ
What is that coming out of the planes?
CharlieBrown17
AG
That's a CDS (container delivery system) drop.

Typical use for that would be food/ammo/other sturdy supplies like that.
SCQ
Thanks. Love seeing our Air Force.
falcon09
AG
Airland for Life!
oragator
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10784111/Virgin-jet-forced-return-Heathrow-officer-not-completed-training.html
CharlieBrown17
AG
Would be annoying to be on the flight but hardly the issue media is making it. Shocking right?

He was typed in the jet and current. Someone at scheduling just didn't realize he wasn't done with their in house upgrade. Or thought the senior Capt he was with was one of their IPs incorrectly.
CharlieBrown17
AG
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/conga-line-of-c-17s-spotted-heading-south-over-europe-from-norway
falcon09
AG
My first thought was that a bunch of people forgot to turn their ADSB off. With the consecutive callsigns and similar routes, I'm sure it was highly intentional. Definitely sending a message that we can send a bunch of stuff a long way in a short amount of time.
oragator
I do agree, knowing what it was it's not that big a deal.
I do think if you were on that flight it would be, at a minimum, disconcerting though. You know you aren't turning around for "paperwork". So then you start thinking of what would warrant a turn around and a clearly bogus explanation?. You know it isn't max crew hours because they would tell you that, is there a threat against the plane? A mechanical issue? Something happen on the ground that hasn't made the news yet? Sickness in the cockpit?
Until you landed and got the story it would have been worrisome.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I think they we're probably ads b off still but it's almost impossible to fly over Europe without getting picked up by MLAT.

I'll have to ask our crews when they get back. Pretty sure they crossed the pole as a six ship plus airland dudes
Stan Crowch
AG
Do any private pilots let people tag along on flights and share fuel costs/expenses? Is that a thing? Just curious.
average_joker
AG
Stan Crowch said:

Do any private pilots let people tag along on flights and share fuel costs/expenses? Is that a thing? Just curious.

Sharing the pro rata costs of a flight is legal. The FAA doesn't allow the passenger to have any say in the destination though, as they consider that to be a charter.
So as long as the pilot picks the destination, you are good to go.
Pinochet
Who's going to Oshkosh this year?
average_joker
AG
I may try to come in Friday evening.
Scud Runner
Heading out tomorrow morning. Two fuel stops planned. Weather might get interesting. I see some scud running in my future.
Pinochet
"Don't say it don't say it don't say it…"

Username checks out!
CharlieBrown17
AG

Live stream of arrivals into runway 27 at oshkosh

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.