Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

203,220 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by HarleySpoon
ag97tx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 16 year old daughter has now taken 3 flying lessons and absolutely loves it.
CharlieBrown17
AG
If she has any interest in trying to do it for Uncle Sam, I can be emailed anytime at charliebrowncrew@gmail

She's probably closing in on the window to start looking at rotc scholarships.

ETA open offer to anyone that stumbles across this posts.
CanyonAg77
AG
ag97tx said:

My 16 year old daughter has now taken 3 flying lessons and absolutely loves it.

CB17 is a more up-to-date source, but I'll second that she could be flying fighters or anything else within 7-8 years.

If you've followed the whole thread, you know my daughter did it
BMach
AG
First solo this morning out at GTU
AgLA06
AG
Awesome!
Gunny456
AG
Congrats!
How come you still have that t-shirt on in one piece?? Or does no body do the ritual anymore?
AirplaneAg09
AG
Here here! That t-shirt needs to be cut off and written on!
CenterHillAg
AG
Congrats. That 172 looks like it has some stories it could tell.
BMach
AG
It's cut, the piece is in my hand
BMach
AG
CenterHillAg said:

Congrats. That 172 looks like it has some stories it could tell.

They aren't the prettiest at that school lol
Gunny456
AG
Glad to know the old tradition has not died.
My wife soloed... and the instructor and I were going to have some fun with her. She outsmarted us and had a shirt under her shirt. . She had been warned. .
ag97tx
AG
She isn't interested in a military career at this point but you never know. Her big goal is to be an astronaut and she wants to major in aerospace engineering. She has been to Space Camp a few times in Huntsville, Alabama also. I know historically military service was required to be an astronaut but now it seems about 50/50. Thank you for the offer of more information and if she decides to go the military route we will be in touch.

She is also still loving her lessons and is currently getting up in the air twice a week. She has been using the flight school's headset but her instructor said she should start looking into getting her own. Any recommendations?
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'm biased but fighter jet and test pilot school in your service of choice seems like the way to go for space to me.

I wear a Bose A20, they're like a grand though. Will never need to upgrade it if you go that route. Pretty sure that's what 90%+ of the commercial guys are wearing too.
CharlieBrown17
AG
No idea this video will embed or not.

But I'm at Aircraft Commander AirDrop school right now. The short version of what that is, is that I'll able to be pilot flying in formation and during airdrops (equipment, people, etc leaving the back of the plane) in the C-17.

Buddy caught me and grabbed a video of my first time leading a 3 ship home yesterday.

https://imgur.com/a/xk7PxIL
TxAg20
AG
I have Lightspeed Zulu and Bose A20 headsets. I prefer the Bose A20.
Pinochet
If she doesn't mind ear plugs, the Quiet Technologies Halos are great. The guy who invented and makes them is an audiologist. Price is reasonable at less than $400, and the replacement ear tips aren't expensive. I had a small problem with mine once after years of using them and called him. He had me send them to his house and he had them fixed and back to me in a week.

The guy is an audiologist, though, and not an MBA. He doesn't outsource production, and his website isn't great, so sometimes you have to wait a bit for them to be in stock.
oragator
CharlieBrown17
AG
I have my checkride in the morning to be qual'ed as an ACADer but got to do some really neat maneuvering, especially for a plane as big as the 17, yesterday in the formation maneuvering ride. Only video I took since I was mostly in the seat flying. Did over an hour of work in the MOA followed by a formation descent with the thrust reservers out. Ride 6 (yesterday) is basically a confidence ride and proving the maneuvers work in not just a theoretical way.

https://i.imgur.com/qezEMiJ.mp4
TxAg20
AG
TxAg20 said:

I tried the new Bose A30 at Oshkosh and they're an improvement over the A20. I would go with the A30 if I were in the market for a headset today.
MaroonDontRun
AG
TxAg20 said:

TxAg20 said:

I tried the new Bose A30 at Oshkosh and they're an improvement over the A20. I would go with the A30 if I were in the market for a headset today.
Can you identify what is different about them?

Also, has anyone tried using the Bose Proflight in a piston single? I gave my lightspeeds to my brother and I need a replacement and the wife is interested in trying the ProFlight.
ag97tx
AG
My 16 year old is probably 2 lessons away from her solo flight. She has been getting lots of lessons in this summer and the instructor is still with her but she is doing all the take offs, flying, and landings now. She is loving it and I already know I will be super nervous that day. I just got used to her driving off in her car but this flying off by herself is a little different.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Big sky theory. Way less to hit out there than on the road. Plus no one is texting and flying.

Awesome job getting a kid flying and driving alone in the same year.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Oh and I passed my checkride Friday.

Only one formal upgrade left in the 17. The last 3 years have been a blast but I can't wait to be an instructor and done with upgrades and getting to get better solely for the point of getting better.
CanyonAg77
AG
ag97tx said:

I just got used to her driving off in her car but this flying off by herself is a little different.
Our daughter got her wings, flying T-38s 3x as old as her, did a T-6 FAIP tour (complaining that those "kids" she was instructing were trying to kill her), was T-6 flight check (she took planes just out of maintenance and approved/disapproved their return to the flight line), and completed F-16 B School and two Viper assignments without incident.

Where we nearly lost her was when a drunk on an Alabama highway crossed the median and hit her truck nearly head on.

Yes, flying is hazardous and requires attention, dedication, and education.

But we worry about the wrong things.
trouble
AG
Agreed. I'm much less worried about CB17 in the air than driving across country.
TxAg20
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

TxAg20 said:

TxAg20 said:

Also, has anyone tried using the Bose Proflight in a piston single? I gave my lightspeeds to my brother and I need a replacement and the wife is interested in trying the ProFlight.

The A30 is lighter and has less clamping force than the A20, so they should be more comfortable on long flights. I tried them in the Bose booth which did not have 98 db of ambient piston engine noise, but I would say the sound is more clear compared to the A20.

I'm not selling my A20's to get a pair of A30's, but if I had reason to buy a new headset, I would go with the A30 over the A20 based on comfort alone.
CharlieBrown17
AG
All for more comfort but I'm curious how different lighter and "less clamping" feels. I wear my A20s for 18 hours in a day relatively often.
lb3
AG
ag97tx said:

My 16 year old is probably 2 lessons away from her solo flight. She has been getting lots of lessons in this summer and the instructor is still with her but she is doing all the take offs, flying, and landings now. She is loving it and I already know I will be super nervous that day. I just got used to her driving off in her car but this flying off by herself is a little different.
Gratz to her. Nothing will instill confidence like soloing before many of your classmates even have their DL.

I started greasing landings pretty quick and my instructor stopped and got out of the plane after our 4th lesson and asked to sign my medical. Unfortunately I didn't have one yet because I thought I was ages from needing one so I had to wait a couple more lessons before I could solo. Best lawn mowing money I ever spent. (With grandma matching my funds).
TxAg20
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

All for more comfort but I'm curious how different lighter and "less clamping" feels. I wear my A20s for 18 hours in a day relatively often.

Mine start to hurt the top of my head and the sides of my head over my ears after about 4 hours. Small adjustments to position will make them more comfortable for a brief period. I don't often fly more than about 3 hours a day, so not a serious issue, but the discomfort is hyperbolic after 4 hours.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'll sleep in mine in the bunk so I'm guessing the A30 probably isn't a game changer for me
GAC06
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

TxAg20 said:

TxAg20 said:

I don't see the a20 anymore on Bose's site so I guess the a30 is just the next model. I haven't used the pro flight at all much less in a GA plane but Bose says:

"The A30 features an around-ear design and is meant for noisier aircraft, such as non-pressurized single engine models. The ProFlight Series 2 is an in-ear aviation headset which features a headbanded, in-ear design and is meant for crewed aircraft, typically pressurized and less noisy, like most jets."

So probably not pro flight for GA
boredatwork08
AG
Knocked out my long XC today! My PPL is within reach!
BMach
AG
Did my first one today
boredatwork08
AG
Get it!
Senator Blutarski
AG
Congrats! Did you get some Cooper's while you were there? That was a favorite destination when I was training out of Georgetown.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.