Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

203,219 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by HarleySpoon
src94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I second the motion!
dsharp90
AG
Aye!
CharlieBrown17
AG
Like canyon said, I'm at initial flight training for the USAF.

We don't really do shirt clips either, the higher level trainings dunk you in a pool of water after solos
CanyonAg77
AG
I don't recall how much time off you have, but if you get a chance to go to Canon City, visit the Royal Gorge bridge, and drive Skyline Drive. There are some neat dino tracks on Skyline.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Went to the gorge this weekend.

God and weather willing I'm done after tomorrow and Friday.
jrbaggie
Any of you fly boys interested in an old wooden prop I have. I am interested in selling it (building new house and getting rid of some of my stuff). Don't ask me too many questions because all I know is it is old, but in good shape. I will be gone until next Wednesday, but if you will shoot me an email I will send some pictures of it when I return. I would rather an Aggie have it than some old average person off the street. jeffb@windstream.net
CanyonAg77
AG
Location? Email sent.
jrbaggie
Buffalo
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks, a little outside my range of connections. Would still enjoy seeing photos and price.
fire09
AG
Would be cool to get a running list of TA pilots and home bases, maybe we can get a fly in coordinated. I do my recreational flying out of IWS, Mooney pilot.
src94
AG
KCLL is my home base. I rent.
dsharp90
AG
KDWH and I also rent
average_joker
AG
I'm closest to KROA. Been out of the GA game for a while, but I keep my CFI certs current.
Aero95
AG
I can't believe I missed this thread until now... I've been flying since 91, instrument in 96, and finally ownership in 2007. Maroon paint in 2009. Based in Wichita with my Mooney and fly all over the country. Ownership is awesome! Expensive, certainly, but so worth it. I do all I can with supervised maintenance work to minimize the expense, and I enjoy the hangar time.

I'm having frequent day dreams about a mid-life career change to pro pilot but need to add comm and multi. The shortage is here and wages are finally climbing! I would have loved a USAF track but have deficient eyeballs, and surgery waivers came about too late for me.
EskimoJoe
Aero95 said:

I can't believe I missed this thread until now... I've been flying since 91, instrument in 96, and finally ownership in 2007. Maroon paint in 2009. Based in Wichita with my Mooney and fly all over the country. Ownership is awesome! Expensive, certainly, but so worth it. I do all I can with supervised maintenance work to minimize the expense, and I enjoy the hangar time.

I'm having frequent day dreams about a mid-life career change to pro pilot but need to add comm and multi. The shortage is here and wages are finally climbing! I would have loved a USAF track but have deficient eyeballs, and surgery waivers came about too late for me.

since you live in or around Wichita and fly, you probably have flown in to or been to Stearman field at Benton, just north of wichita. If not, the family that owns it also has a restaurant there and it is a pretty neat place to fly by and grab some lunch with fellow aviators. Ive gone with a friend who built a Vans RV6. He meets up there for lunch every so often with other members of the Vans Airforce from out this way. It's a quick 25ish minute flight for us out of KPTT.
Aero95
AG
Yes, it is a fun place. I've got friends with hangars and homes there too, including the previous owner of my plane that put up a giant palace just south of the restaurant. I'd love to live out there, but the property taxes are prohibitive.

When I first moved to town that place was kinda dumpy, but it has really grown up in the last 8-10 years and turned into a very neat operation.
CharlieBrown17
AG
What does it take to get and maintain a CFI cert? Wanting to get one and eventually instruct GA after I'm out.
fire09
AG
CharlieBrown17
AG
Thanks

That's actually more straightforward than I was expecting
average_joker
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

What does it take to get and maintain a CFI cert? Wanting to get one and eventually instruct GA after I'm out.

There's going to be plenty of jobs waiting around for a qualified pilot after you get done serving (vis a vis the pilot shortage and boomer retirements).
I do hear that folks who like to fly try to pick up tours as an IP to avoid the desk jobs. The FAA allows a lot of carry-over of military experience, so make sure you keep your logs updated. It could save you some headache later on when you start looking at CFI or ATP certs.
TxAg20
AG
Got my ticket in 2013. Instrument in '16. Got my first type rating in August of '18. I fly a Citation Mustang out of KMAF.
Bottlerocket
AG
TxAg20 said:

Got my ticket in 2013. Instrument in '16. Got my first type rating in August of '18. I fly a Citation Mustang out of KMAF.

Dayum. Nice aircraft!
Another late joiner to the thread.

I don't have many pilot hours, but I've been a USAF aviator since 2013. Went through Pensacola CSO training and graduated Nov of '13. I've since gotten 1100+ hours in the back seat of a B-1.

In the spring of '17 I started on my PPL in Rapid City on a Piper Cherokee. I soloed that June and went to my check ride with exactly 40.0 hours. I only flew a couple times after that do to life, and I have something like 43 hours now.

One of the big reasons I went for the PPL was to boost my application for USAF UPT. The PPL (and the bill that went with it) payed off and I recently moved to Vance AFB to start UPT.

I get to skip IFT with Doss since I already have the PPL, so I should get to fly the mighty T-6 this next spring.
CanyonAg77
AG
Congrats!

You'll love Enid. There's a girl behind every tree.

And I love how Vance has a T-6 practice area over a National Wildlife Refuge that is on the whooping Crane flyway.
Aero95
AG
Congrats on making the transition! If you ever get to Wichita on an XC I'll buy you a meal or beverage if you have the time. I think a lot of Vance folks come here.
Guppy
AG
Just found the thread as well! Started flying out of Easterwood in '02. Earned my private there in '03 around the time I graduated. Aviation has taken me all over the world and I've had some amazing experiences and jobs.

Best gig I ever had was out in good ol' Pecos Tx flying into and around thunderstorms delivering a chemical to increase rainfall totals for the ranchers and their cattle - weather modification/cloud seeding.

Fortunately, life has tamed down a bit in the airlines. 9400 +/- hours later and I still love every take off and landing (save the few with gusty crosswinds onto snow packed runways!). I believe I have the best office view in the world.

Best advice, especially for anyone trying to make a living at it - fly because you love it. You may end up rich as a wide body CA for a major carrier, or you will never catch the lucky break and bounce from airline to airline and struggle to make ends meet. But if you can't get up to cruise, trim that plane out, sit back and just stare out the window in amazement watching the world go by then this might not be for you.

If anyone has any questions regarding the airlines feel free to PM me.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'm jealous of your time in the bone

Good luck at UPT, I start at Columbus in January
CharlieBrown17
AG
I've always been one that likes to give back through teaching, so it's currently a career goal to instruct at some point and then I'd like to teach and maybe run my own flight school at some point.

GA instruction with a side of some DoD contract flying would be a pretty sweet gig for a while as well
CaptnCarl
AG
TxAg20 - If you ever have an open right seat, I'd love to ride along. I'm instrument rated and fly out of KODO.
CaptnCarl
AG
Fire09 - I was based at KIWS for 2-3 years while living in Houston. Have mixed feelings about that airport, but it sure was convenient. Would have enjoyed meeting you while I was there.

Now I'm based in Odessa - KODO. Got my PPL in 2012 and IFR rating in 2017.

There definitely needs to be an Aviation forum for equipment, avionics, training, destinations. Would also be helpful to coordinate maintenance dead legs.
FBG_Ag78
AG
Ticket in 2000. Most of my PIC time in a Maroon 182RG which I sold in 2006. Haven't flown much since. Just started my instrument training in a 172 Friday. Looking forward to being current again. Home base T82.

Staff - What would it take to get an Aviation Forum?
84HartAg
AG
Just bumping this thread, trying to get staff's attention.
I don't want to let this interest in an aviation board die!
TxAg20
AG
Will do. Insurance is requiring that I fly 100 hours with a safety pilot first. I've got about 35 hours to go in the jet before I satisfy that requirement.
Centex99
AG
TxAg20 said:

Will do. Insurance is requiring that I fly 100 hours with a safety pilot first. I've got about 35 hours to go in the jet before I satisfy that requirement.
I think any of us would love to sit right seat with you in your jet! How I wish I could afford one!

I just found this board as well... got my PPL last December, working on starting my instrument here shortly. I fly out of HYI and am in the process of buying a plane with a group of guys...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.