Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

203,218 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by HarleySpoon
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Between sight picture and a traditional reduce power/back stick pressure in the flare being an emergency procedure in my current jet I'd definitely struggle to land a GA plane right now
oragator
Pilot needs a new pair of shorts!

MaroonDontRun
AG
Take a look at that sock. It is a straight crosswind definitely above 10 knots.

I guess it's true what they say, "fly it all the way to the ground".

Yikes.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Awfully close to a wingstrike.
BigBrother
AG
Anyone remember this guy?

Quote:

Pilot, skydiver, and former U.S. Olympic snowboarder Trevor Jacob has been sentenced to six months in federal prison for "obstructing a federal investigation by deliberately destroying the wreckage of an airplane that he intentionally crashed."

Jacob, 30, gained notoriety when, on November 24, 2021, he filmed himself bailing out of his Taylorcraft BL-65 after it suffered an alleged engine failure 35 minutes into a flight from California's Lompoc City Airport (KLPC) to Mammoth Yosemite Airport (KMMH). At the time, Jacob said his intention was to go snowboarding in Mammoth Lakes. Several cameras were mounted to the aircraft, and Jacob had a video camera on a selfie stick that he carried with him and used to record footage of himself parachuting to safety.
https://www.flyingmag.com/youtuber-trevor-jacob-sentenced-to-6-months/
MaroonDontRun
AG
From what I understand he can still get his license back which I find amazing.

Dude should not be allowed near another GA airplane.
AgLA06
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

Question.

I understand there are higher expectations and demands on pilots than drivers. And I get this was stupid. But a part of me also thinks this is a little overboard as well on the punishment.

If someone bought a car and crashed it to film something similar (assuming they didn't make a fraudulent insurance claim) nothing would happen. It's just another weekend on Demolition Ranch.

But because it was an old airplane, this guy is going to jail. It appears he did it in an area where no one could get hurt. Does anyone else feel this is a bit overboard ( from a non-pilot perspective)?

I guess the difference is he didn't crash it on his property?

CharlieBrown17
AG
They got him for hindering the investigation right?

Would be similar to buying a car to wreck for clout on the interstate then destroying or moving the wreck when the DOT or someone wanted to look into it.
BMach
AG
Didn't read the article, but how was he able to know where it would crash? Also, did he clean it up?
AgLA06
AG
Yah, it sounds like while it's obviously frowned upon, they got him on destroying the plane because it wasn't on his property. Not because he purposely ditched it.
CharlieBrown17
AG
BMach said:

Didn't read the article, but how was he able to know where it would crash? Also, did he clean it up?

I mean they do a fairly good job of flying where you point them until impact
MaroonDontRun
AG
From what I have heard reported, the federal investigators asked him repeatedly where the wreckage was and he said he didn't know. While he was denying knowing the location of the wreckage, he contracted with a recovery company to recover the aircraft and return it to his hanger where he cut it up and disposed of it.

This was the reason he ended up in the klink.

The thing that really bugs me about this stunt is that it demonstrates how wreckless he is. I don't like contemplating that I am out there flying around with other pilots that are wreckless.

Jetpilot86
AG
Yes, but what if it just happened to end up landing in a Boy Scout campground. there's a reason we pilots are held to a higher level of responsibility, our choices can kill a lot more people than a car can quickly, and much more dramatically.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'm not saying he should still have his ticket after being a dumbass

But it's not hard to think he had a really good idea of where the plane was after his stunt.
CanyonAg77
AG
He jumped out pretty high, with the glide radius of a small plane like that, I'd say no. He had no blanking idea where it would land

Rough math, say he went out at 2000' agl and the glide ratio is 10:1. Plane could land anywhere within 20,000 feet horizontally. So it could land anywhere within a 8 mile circle, and around a 45 square mile target area

He ought to be shot for intentionally crashing a good airplane. Supply of small planes is already small. To diminish that small number is despicable
eric76
AG
Even if he did run out of fuel, he should have been able to land at an airport. Someone did a video using a flight simulator for that aircraft that showed he had the range.

Or, for that matter, the stall speed is slow enough that he could have landed safely on a road.
eric76
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

He already has it back.

From https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/04/us/youtuber-federal-prison-fake-plane-crash/index.html

Quote:

n a letter to the judge, Jacob wrote he was "sincerely sorry" and has "suffered a lot of consequences from this offense."

"While I carefully researched the plane route to make sure the crash would not be near human housing or trail routes, I should have never gone forward with it," Jacob wrote, adding the FAA has since reinstated his pilot license.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Wow, that's bull *****

Dudes worry they're going to lose their license if they ever hear 'copy this number down when you have a moment' and this guy keeps his wings?
AgLA06
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

Wow, that's bull *****

Dudes worry they're going to lose their license if they ever hear 'copy this number down when you have a moment' and this guy keeps his wings?
One doesn't make the other right.
BMach
AG
Finished up PPL stage 3 and ready to schedule my check ride. My school is supposedly actively trying to find a DPE with availability (central Texas area). I'm wondering if I shouldn't try to do this myself?
average_joker
AG
BMach said:

Finished up PPL stage 3 and ready to schedule my check ride. My school is supposedly actively trying to find a DPE with availability (central Texas area). I'm wondering if I shouldn't try to do this myself?

You could try calling Pat Brown down in Houston.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Suppose I want to rent a plane for a week or two to take a vacation. Is it common to be able to short term lease a plane and then pay hourly for the flying time?

I wouldn't want to be stuck with something like 3 hours a day minimum to rent a club plane. Not even sure I could take one that long.
Moy
You can rent for 1-2 weeks, but you will be charged likely a minimum of 2 flight hours every day whether you fly or not.
Luka5000s
i agree with you
CanyonAg77
AG
Roswell, NM, among finalist for the new home of the Reno Air Races.

No word on if UFOs are allowed

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/albuquerque-metro/roswell-among-finalists-to-host-national-championship-air-races/
CanyonAg77
AG
In the ongoing debate as to whether WWII warbirds shown be flown or static displayed, the Collings Foundation has given up on flying.

https://theaviationist.com/2023/12/02/collings-foundation-grounds-aircraft/

Quote:

The Collings Foundation, whose Wings of Freedom tour brought World War II aircraft to airshows across the United States offering rides aboard the B-17G, B-25, B-24 and P-51D, has decided to permanently ground its aircraft and put them on display at the Foundation's American Heritage Museum. The decision comes in the wake of the 2019 B-17 Flying Fortress accident, which caused the death of five passengers, the pilot and the copilot.

According to Flying Magazine, the decision was disclosed trough the Collings Foundation American Heritage Museum newsletter, which stated the Foundation is moving forward on the long-term plans to bring the aircraft from a nationwide flying exhibition to permanent display in Hudson, Massachusetts. The Museum has a collection of military vehicles spanning the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard and other nations with 50 aircraft and over 90 vehicles in addition to large artifacts.
80sGeorge
AG
That's too bad. I bet their insurance went through the roof. Got to ride on the B24 out of DAL and thought they did a great job.
CanyonAg77
AG
Yeah, insurance companies run a lot of things anymore. The local co-op here stopped handling grain, in part because the premiums and required codes were too expensive.
BMach
AG
Passed my private pilot check ride today up at TPL. DPE was Austin Bowman. Super good guy and I'd highly recommend him to anyone who is looking for a straightforward and fair DPE.
4xAgs
AG
BMach said:

Passed my private pilot check ride today up at TPL. DPE was Austin Bowman. Super good guy and I'd highly recommend him to anyone who is looking for a straightforward and fair DPE.

Congrats. Now you can learn to fly. Be safe.
BMach
AG
Thanks
CharlieBrown17
AG
4xAgs said:

BMach said:

Congrats. Now you can learn to fly. Be safe.

This is the truest sentence in this thread.

Nothing like flying for the first time without being instructed or a checkride looming.
panag
AG
Flying a single seater for the first time was a similar experience as well. Something about not even having the ability to take a passenger, especially the first time you fly the airplane, is exhilarating.
oragator
Another Oopsies.

MaroonDontRun
AG
that was expensive.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.