Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

203,223 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by HarleySpoon
Aero95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Or an M20J, simply the best all-round efficient XC owner-flown single engine ever made!
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

But I'd hazard a guess at security at Easterwood.
Yep. Favorite pilot's squadron evacuated before Hurricane Dorian and flew 50 F-16s to Dallas. We suggested Amarillo, but there's the small problem of security...and probably space for 50 aircraft.
TxAg20
AG
80sGeorge said:

Question- Thread on the F16 flyover on Football board mentioned pilots had to return to FTW and be flown back for introductions. Said F16s aren't allowed to land at CLL.

If true any insight as to why?

When the Thunderbirds (USAF F-16 Demo Team) came to KMAF a few years ago, they had to have an arresting cable on the runway. The first pilot tested the arresting cable before the others landed. USAF fighters have tailhooks similar to Navy fighters in the event of a hydraulic failure since they wouldn't have any brakes.

Some airports (I think all USAF air bases) have a recessed cable that can be raised by the tower in the event of a hydraulic failure. The pilot calls "cable" to have it raised.
average_joker
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Are you in Alabama? Didn't realize that.

Should be flying patterns at MGM if the weather is good Tuesday.

What I can find online is 16s won't go to a field shorter than 6K and the long strip at KCLL is 7
I fly EMB-145's for a wholly owned regional of a large DFW based airline. We happen to be based out of KCLT. And I'm up in Virginia.
Our TALPA (same as TOLD I bet) is 1.67* dry unfactored landing distance for a dry-grooved runway and 2.2* dry unfactored landing distance for a runway reporting RCC5. Its egregious and most pilots stop well short of that, but they build the cushion to keep the airplanes firmly between the numbers. On a dry runway we are going to be limited by takeoff run (stumpy wings). On a wet runway we are more likely limited by landing distance. And what we can technically do and what we can make money off of are two different things.
Anyway the shortest runway we are making any money off of is dependent on how far we fly, but I'd guess 6500 is where the money line is.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Ahh gotcha

Yeah sounds like it. TOLD is Take Off/Landing data. Sounds like a similar acronym. And smaller jet, but our limiting factors are similar

Your 6.5 line makes a lot of sense to me
average_joker
AG
"Takeoff and Landin Performance Assessment"
Someone somewhere believes that unless you change the acronym, you didn't do any work.
CharlieBrown17
AG
This thread needs more pictures

Departing KMLU on Tuesday

Mr. Dubi
The Thunderbirds flew into CLL about 15 years ago. They did a performance over the George Bush Library.

I can see the arresting wire being a reasonable requirement, as in'77 a T-birds T 38 (which had no hook) went off the runway in Cheyenne...

CharlieBrown17
AG
Air Force cables are on the departure end and catch the nose gear not that weird **** the navy does

Actually looks like we use both.

Today I learned

Columbus only has departure end barriers
average_joker
AG
Why use a cable when you can use EMAS (Engineered Material Arresting System).
Ragoo
AG
TxAg20 said:

80sGeorge said:

Question- Thread on the F16 flyover on Football board mentioned pilots had to return to FTW and be flown back for introductions. Said F16s aren't allowed to land at CLL.

If true any insight as to why?

When the Thunderbirds (USAF F-16 Demo Team) came to KMAF a few years ago, they had to have an arresting cable on the runway. The first pilot tested the arresting cable before the others landed. USAF fighters have tailhooks similar to Navy fighters in the event of a hydraulic failure since they wouldn't have any brakes.

Some airports (I think all USAF air bases) have a recessed cable that can be raised by the tower in the event of a hydraulic failure. The pilot calls "cable" to have it raised.
i saw a single blue angel at KMAF earlier this year. Was lucky enough to see him take off.
aggieforester05
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

The Thunderbirds flew into CLL about 15 years ago. They did a performance over the George Bush Library.

I can see the arresting wire being a reasonable requirement, as in'77 a T-birds T 38 (which had no hook) went off the runway in Cheyenne...

I didn't know they were coming to town and one of those F-16s flew right over the top of my truck from a blind side. Scared the **** out of me, thought I was about to get hit by a cruise missile.
Moy
Did the OP get his ticket punched?
BaitShack
AG
For any of you who keep up with Mike Patey, Draco crashed.

BaitShack
AG
average_joker
AG
A pilot who built a plane solely for showboating crashed said plane while showboating? Color me shocked.
I'm glad he was ok, and he did own it at least.
It was a cool plane, and I'm sure he'll build another one shortly after his 709.
BaitShack
AG
I'm a youtube pilot. Love some aviation videos.

BaitShack
AG

Any of you guys and gals follow Kermit Weeks?

aggieforester05
AG
BaitShack said:

I'm a youtube pilot. Love some aviation videos.

I really enjoy the camera angles in their videos.
BaitShack
AG
Blackbird pilot.

BaitShack
AG
Worth it, if you've got the time.

PA24
AG
Shooting ILS missed approaches into Kelly AFB is fun
falcon09
AG
I completely forgot about this thread. I've been a little busy the past few months.

I went T-1s like CB17 and loved every minute of it. After about 130 hours in the T-6 and T-1 I graduated this past Friday. I'm going to Altus in January to learn how to fly the mighty C-17 Globemaster III and then I'll be PCSing this summer to Hickam, HI!

CB, you weren't part of the class in Columbus that got way behind because of MX, were you?
CharlieBrown17
AG
That's crazy man, if I remember right falcon is because you were in 16 right? Same here.

I would've graduated with you on the 13th in the class at CBM but I'm February now, due to maintenance like you said
CharlieBrown17
AG
MX issues isn't all bad though

Spent the last two days at Macdill in Tampa as part a jet wx evac
falcon09
AG
Since someone asked for photos, here are some of mine:

T-6 I took into Ellington Field (KEFD). I grew up about a mile from the airport and would go out on my driveway to watch F-16s and F-18s in the pattern

One of 2 grey T-1s left here at Vance

Simulated aerial refueling in the final phase of T-1 training.

Formation in the T-1

My next stop, the C-17 Globemaster III. This tail is actually a Hickam tail.
falcon09
AG
Yup! Sq 16, c/o '09. I took the scenic route to pilot training.

Sucks that you got moved back, but you'll be out there doin' work soon enough.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I was cross country in Texas and used KCLL as home station for the trip, lucky for me Dubi was around and able to grab a few awesome pics of me departing for home the last day

CharlieBrown17
AG
In a way it was actually pretty good for me, the drop I would've been with didn't have any of my top choices so fingers crossed February does
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

After about 130 hours in the T-6 and T-1 I graduated this past Friday. I'm going to Altus in January to learn how to fly the mighty C-17 Globemaster III

Vance, and Altus. Wow, the Air Force is sending you to all the exotic locales.

Join the Air Force and see.....Western Oklahoma.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
So for those of us not in the Air Force, what does your training progression mean in terms of the aircraft you'll fly on a more permanent basis after training?
falcon09
AG
I can't complain too much about Oklahoma for a year and a half. I did get to spend the same amount of time in Pensacola. Plus, the follow on to Hawaii doesn't hurt.
falcon09
AG
All USAF pilot trainees start in the T-6 for 5-6 months. a few weeks before you finish T-6s you have 'track selection' where you find out if you're going T-1s, T-38s or helicopters

T-1s are the 'airlift/tanker' track. Typical follow-ons are C-17, C-130, C-5, KC-135 and KC-10.

T-38s are bombers and fighters. F-16, F-15E, A-10, B-1, and B-52 with the occasional F-22/F-35/B-2.

AFSOC seems to want a mixture of both T-1 and T-38 trained pilots. They fly things like the AC-130, MC-130, C-146 and U-28.

Helo guys move to Ft Rucker to learn with the Army and then fly HH-60 Pave Hawks, UH-1 Hueys or CV-22s.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Cool thanks for the info. So how long do you commit for after flight school? Will you stay in the service until you effectively retire and then go get a gig with United or whatever?

And when you move from T-1/T-38, how is the aircraft you'll fly selected? And does it ever change?
CanyonAg77
AG
I don't believe they send Osprey guys to helicopter school any more, but I am open to correction.

Commitment is 11 years past the day you get your wings, IIRC. Wings are awarded after completion of the T-1, T-38, etc tracks.

The current USAF guys might want to tell us a little about the tradition of breaking wings in half

As far as what they fly, I recall that there are two occasions. Track night was to announce who was going to T-1, T-38, etc., after everyone completes T-6. As I recall our favorite pilot's class, it was about 2:1 T-1 to T-38, with a few helos.

"Drop" is when you find out what you're flying after getting your wings, and comes late in the T-1/T-38 phase. You list your preferences, they match it with their needs. The better your class ranking, the better chance of getting what you want. Allegedly.

I don't recall when you are assigned to your first base, whether at drop night or later. Our favorite pilot dropped F-16s, but her first tour was as a T-6 FAIP, and I seem to recall the FAIPs don't "drop" until late in the FAIP tour.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.