Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

203,046 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by HarleySpoon
MaroonDontRun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You are somewhat at the mercy of ATC which routes you for traffic and weather. Think of highways in the sky.

The picture below is just the suggested IFR routes that our electronic flight bag application (Foreflight) suggests:

CharlieBrown17
AG
There's also almost nothing between Austin and BNA once you get off the departure procedure (standard routing to make ATC's life easier) and into the enroute structure. I'd wager pretty early into the departure they get cleared direct BNA.

But coming from BNA you have to deal with traffic out of Memphis so probably spend more time on the departure before getting onto a route and staying there to make Memphis ATC life easier. Then once you get towards Texas you're being deconflicted with DFW traffic and put onto a terminal arrival into Austin.

The line starting with Windu in the above pic is the standard arrival into KAUS from my understanding.

I'd wager KAUS to KBNA is being put on the Centex 6 CLL from KAUS which takes it out towards college station. From there it's a straight shot to BNA
Motot
AG
Awesome - thank you both for the information.
PA24
AG
Simple answer:
Interstate highways in the air with wayward points along these routes, much like a road map. Think of the wayward points as entrance and exit points on a highway. Pilots are instructed to flight to these points by controllers. Depending on traffic and weather, the controllers will direct the pilot on what point to fly per their flight plan and the known conditions.

Pilots are always wanting and asking for direct or shortest path to their destination but are at the mercy of the controllers while in their controlled air space.

Your pilot files (request) a certain departure route leaving the busy airport and the shortest route to the destination with an arrival procedure. ATC either grants that request or adjust to fit traffic patterns or know weather. While in an IFR route, flight plans cant be adjusted by the pilot without permission from the controller.

Examples of controlled airspace:
above 18K' is controlled air space Class A
low altitudes around busy airports are controlled air space

simple as I can make it
CharlieBrown17
AG
You might ask for direct every time but I need to build airline hours somehow
CanyonAg77
AG
With GPS, shouldn't waypoints be eliminated and everyone going direct?

(ducks and hides)
CharlieBrown17
AG
Q routes sort of do that. They're just not as common still
PA24
AG
Request direct to the FAF of your approach....

Tell em u have Q
flyingaggie12
AG
Dumbdumb
Over Amarillo the other night in a T207 with 5 Pax. Very cool airplane with an awesome useful load!

average_joker
AG
Dumbdumb said:

Over Amarillo the other night in a T207 with 5 Pax. Very cool airplane with an awesome useful load!

Looks like you needed a touch of left rudder trim.
CaptnCarl
AG
GPS routes are becoming more common, but even those still have waypoints. Even radio based waypoints are loaded in the GPS database.

Before GPS, waypoints were used for radio navigation, but now they are used for traffic control and aircraft sequencing. Waypoints create standard procedures for departing and arriving traffic in terminal areas which transition into approaches to the runway.

When visibility is limited, you can't rely on flying directly to the airport and spotting it. You have to fly an instrument procedure which begins at a waypoint.
Dumbdumb
Yes it did. I was crabbing in with the winds that night. It needs to be re-rigged on the rudder and elevator trim. I had the rudder trimmed quite a bit that night and needed a bit more.
wareagle044
I don't have anything of substance other than I just moved next to Coulter Field. I enjoy watching you guys take off and land.
PA24
AG
Just another thing to be aware of when doing the things we love to do.
Wake turbulence
MaroonDontRun
AG
Here is an incident of wake turbulence with a better outcome but still an example to be mindful of this.

PA28 Experiences Wake Turbulence at JFK
MaroonDontRun
AG
The last post reminded me of another incident that really, really pissed me off. Flying aerobatics in a Piper (which is prone to have compromised wing spars).

How can anyone get through pilot training and still do stuff like this?

Flying Aerobatics in a Piper Part 1

Here is a follow up that I haven't had time to watch yet.

Flying Aerobatics in a Piper Part 2

CharlieBrown17
AG
She might make some good points but I couldn't get past 3 minutes of the over the top delivery.

Anything in the rest of it besides some idiot did aero in her piper she rents out to a flying club?
MaroonDontRun
AG
Quote:

Anything in the rest of it besides some idiot did aero in her piper she rents out to a flying club?
She was a bit overly dramatic but besides the aerobatics in a non aerobatic plane she was discussing how the community generally doesn't want to be tattle tales but in this case it is warranted (which I agree with).

I will say this, I would have gone through the roof at the individual if someone was flying aerobatics in my plane.

I'll be curious to watch part 2 to find out what the outcome was.
falcon09
AG
Ubitag said:

Tell em u have Q
Guam to Honolulu last night, got cleared direct the FAF as soon as we got into the ADIZ. About 175NM out.
CharlieBrown17
AG
falcon09 said:

Ubitag said:

Tell em u have Q
Guam to Honolulu last night, got cleared direct the FAF as soon as we got into the ADIZ. About 175NM out.

Happens a lot going into Germany from the east as well. Hit their FIR and direct to the FAF
average_joker
AG
wareagle044 said:

I don't have anything of substance other than I just moved next to Coulter Field. I enjoy watching you guys take off and land.

Great little flying club at Coulter. They'll literally help you join the club too!
Blitz88
AG
Looking for any advice or feedback on either the Cirrus SR 22 or the Diamond DA40 NG.

Currently considering the purchase of a new or low hour plane in one of these platforms. Most of the use would be flights between the Houston, Austin, Dallas area. Perhaps flights to away games during football season.

All comments appreciated.
MaroonDontRun
AG
I'm sure you'll get many different opinions but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I did a cursory look at both (I'm not really familiar with either of these two) and the Cirrus SR22 is way more airplane but I think you'll probably pay way more for the Cirrus when buying new. With CAPS (the parachute) on the Cirrus you'll also need to budget about $1,000 per year for just the chute (required 10 year repack of the chute at $10K) this is over and above any other maintenance and annual expenses.

The DA40 is slower and has less useful load but does have an impressive safety record even without the parachute. I love the fact that it has a diesel engine but I personally have not pulled up to a fuel farm that currently has diesel available so this is a consideration as well.

For the performance you should probably compare the SR20 to the Diamond. I think these models are closer than the SR22 and the Diamond.

I'm biased but I would highly recommend considering a Mooney M20 Acclaim or Ovation Ultra. Mooney's are a joy to fly and are higher performing than Diamond and Cirrus. A new Ultra is 695,000.
New Mooney Ovation Ultra

For price comparison and this can vary quite a bit depending on equipment:
  • Cirrus SR22 - over $850,000
  • Cirrus SR20 - over $600,000 (I think)
  • Diamond DA40 NG - over $500,000

Can you provide any additional information about your mission?
  • How much weight will you be carrying? This is where the Cirrus shines.
  • Have you ever or do you currently own an airplane?
  • How much experience do you have as a pilot?
CenterHillAg
AG
For trips that short I'd have a tough time choosing something like those you listed over a Cessna 206 or 182. That's not very long legs so the speed difference won't save a huge amount of time, and the useful load and versatility of a 206 especially would be great.
PA24
AG
Diamond

Cirrus are everywhere so parts are plentiful. If u must get a S22 as the 20 is too slow.

I love the Diamond twin, if you have the means.

Speed and old style, look up the Mooney as mentioned above. Flies circles around the Cirrus. Sounds like a Harley the ramp.
CharlieBrown17
AG
There's also the DA42 but yeah that DA62 is my maybe one day dream plane
MaroonDontRun
AG
There is one additional question, do you want to be liked by the other GA pilots you interact with or not?

Cirrus pilots get picked on by other pilots probably out of envy!

If you do by a used aircraft, please, please get a pre-buy inspection! My A&P just grounded a newly purchased Baron during an annual because he discovered some serious corrosion in one of the engines because it was a hanger queen and hadn't flown much in the last few years. The owner paid 500K on the plane and now it looks like he'll have to fork over another 75K to 150K depending on actual condition of the crank shaft and pushrods (we know the cams are gone).
CenterHillAg
AG
I don't pick on Cirrus pilots, only CFI's training the Cirrus pilots. 3 mile base legs and 5 mile finals serve no purpose at uncontrolled airports, they learn those bad habits somewhere.
PA24
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

There is one additional question, do you want to be liked by the other GA pilots you interact with or not?

Cirrus pilots get picked on by other pilots probably out of envy!

If you do by a used aircraft, please, please get a pre-buy inspection! My A&P just grounded a newly purchased Baron during an annual because he discovered some serious corrosion in one of the engines because it was a hanger queen and hadn't flown much in the last few years. The owner paid 500K on the plane and now it looks like he'll have to fork over another 75K to 150K depending on actual condition of the crank shaft and pushrods (we know the cams are gone).
The cirrus has no personality. Envy I think not.

Not even close.

Fixed gear, side stick, cheap interior plastics, false since of safety with a parachute, and nothing special IMO.

Get a late model Bonanza and turn heads or the Mooney as stated. On any used aircraft, get a third party prebuy inspection as you stated by a shop that specializes in the model you pick. Don't buy someone's problem,

AV8ORAG84
AG
For the question on routing to Bna and back to Aus. Depends on time of day, traffic inbound and outbound to DFW and IAH ( and love and Hou) all impact routing into and out of Texas. Specific National routes preferred by ATC to sequence traffic are generally the plan. There are specific arrivals that can start quite a distance from airport of intended landing. Routing will sequence you to the start of a specific arrival. BNA is actually a point on one of the most used jet routes in the USA. ( J6) so leaving BNA they sequence you in to traffic flow .
Clear as mud
Every day is a Holiday, Every Meal is a Banquet, My upperclassmen treat me like a brother, God I LOVE IT HERE!!!!
MaroonDontRun
AG
Quote:

The cirrus has no personality. Envy I think not.
I was trying to be nice.
average_joker
AG
Causing Atrophied Pilot Skills?
Creating Artificial Pilot Security?
Can't Always Parachute Safely?
Couldn't Authorize Plane Spins?

I jest, but a Cirrus is a serious machine, and more than a few of its crashes can be attributed to the parachute making an otherwise intelligent pilot make some questionable decisions. So be sure you have a breadth of experience to draw from, and some very good instruction to hone that experience. Because that parachute isn't a get out of jail free card.
So by all means, get a Cirrus. Just don't let it trick you into poor decision making.

ATP, CFI, CFII, MEI
TxAg20
AG
Blitz88 said:

Looking for any advice or feedback on either the Cirrus SR 22 or the Diamond DA40 NG.

Currently considering the purchase of a new or low hour plane in one of these platforms. Most of the use would be flights between the Houston, Austin, Dallas area. Perhaps flights to away games during football season.

All comments appreciated.

How many people are you looking to haul?

For reference, here's my airplane experience:

1. Rented 172R for PPL
2. Bought T182T
3. Partnered in SR22T
4. Partnered in P-Baron
4. Partnered in F90-1
5. Currently partnered in C510

Between those 2 planes, I would go with the Cirrus.

As other have said, you might want to open up your search to other planes. If you need to carry more than 3 adults regularly, I would get something with more payload than the SR22. If not, SR22 all day, every day. The 182 can cover the same missions, but the SR22 will make you a better pilot if you ever want to move up to something faster. Nothing wrong with flying a 182 though.

People will throw out suggestions of planes that aren't made anymore or are made in low numbers by perennially bankrupt companies. I would ignore those. Stick with Cessna, Beech, or Cirrus if you want good support anywhere in the U.S. Piper may be good, but I've never really liked their products. Buy newer. The P-Baron and King Air I partnered in were both 1985 planes. You think you're getting more airplane for the money, and you are when you're not AOG.
MaroonDontRun
AG
After having co-owned both, do you prefer the King Air or the Citation?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.