Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

203,045 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by HarleySpoon
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's a little inspirational video, filmed at CB17's home, Columbus AFB, MS

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B04baizA6Js/?igshid=12ekc52geyarh

Hey CB17, if they haven't already named it for someone else, there's a T-6 with "Race" as the pilot's name on the side. That would be my favorite pilot.
TxAg20
AG
Take it one lesson at a time. You'll have frustrating days. Stick with it. Don't worry if you feel like you haven't mastered something before your instructor moves on to the next thing. Your instructor should know what they're doing and you will be prepared when they sign you off for a check ride.

If you don't like your instructor, find another one before you give up. I've flown with 11 instructors from my ppl through 2 type ratings. 2 of them I'll never fly with again, 2 were really great and the other 7 okay.

Post again for more advice when you get your ppl.
TexasAg2017
AG
I'm glad this thread popped back up. Planning on putting my bonus towards my PPL this year.
Dumbdumb
My first flight was rough. Windy and lots of air pockets. I did preflight and a run down of everything for the 172. (I was somewhat familiar with some stuff from friends whom are pilots). Instructor handed me the rains and said let's go fly. He gave me full control minus the first touch and go. I learned so much just about flying on the first day. Have a very long ways to go though. I'm definitely hooked though! I start again next week flying twice a week.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Never saw it while I was over in T-6 land
CanyonAg77
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Never saw it while I was over in T-6 land
I think they repaint pretty often, and she was last a FAIP in early 2017
CharlieBrown17
AG
Just passed the military competency exam so I'll get an FAA commercial, multi, and instrument rating as well as a beech 400 type rating when I graduate pilot training in December

So if anyone with way more money than me needs a Copilot, I'm your huckleberry
src94
AG
Congrats. Great job!
src94
average_joker
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Just passed the military competency exam so I'll get an FAA commercial, multi, and instrument rating as well as a beech 400 type rating when I graduate pilot training in December

So if anyone with way more money than me needs a Copilot, I'm your huckleberry

Are you in the Guard?
Dumbdumb
I just flew again today! Such a surreal experience in a tiny 172 with 145 horse. I live in Amarillo and we deal with crazy winds all the time so it's quite the pucker factor when learning.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Active duty
CanyonAg77
AG
I got my license from June to September in Lubbock, flying mostly after work at the Ag Exp Station next door. Until I did my night work, I had no idea you could actually hold a 152 straight and level.

The biggest problem we have is when the runways are at 3500-4000 feet MSL, those low powered planes are even lower powered
average_joker
AG
Just a little west Texas wind story.
I used to fly freight out of KLBB, and did an ILS to minimums in blowing dust with 60kts of sustained wind. Our company policy didn't allow us to land in that level of wind so we aborted the landing and flew up to KAMA where the wind was only 12kts. Surprisingly smooth, not surprisingly low ground speed.
CanyonAg77
AG
I heard a second hand story about Marlin Miller (one time part owner Bellanca Aircraft) flying a Viking to New York City. (Miller Flying Service was based at PVW).

Tower advised him of strong winds on the airport. I believe it was 20kts with a slight crosswind. Marlin acknowledged. Minutes later, same advice, same acknowledgement.

Third time, Marlin told the tower "We're from West Texas. This is nothing. Thanks "
Dumbdumb
CanyonAg77 said:

I heard a second hand story about Marlin Miller (one time part owner Bellanca Aircraft) flying a Viking to New York City. (Miller Flying Service was based at PVW).

Tower advised him of strong winds on the airport. I believe it was 20kts with a slight crosswind. Marlin acknowledged. Minutes later, same advice, same acknowledgement.

Third time, Marlin told the tower "We're from West Texas. This is nothing. Thanks "

L. O. Freaking L !!!
Those words are the same as my instructors! If we can fly here we can fly in most winds.
The Wonderer
AG
I'm giving serious thought to getting my license so I can play and also for business travel. How difficult is it actually to go through the process?

*I'm a lawyer, but not your lawyer. This is not legal advice and an attorney-client relationship does not exist between you and me*
fire09
AG
The time, financial commitment and medical is what I think primarily keeps the numbers down. There are also some people who can't figure it out, but they usually don't last more than a lesson or two.
average_joker
AG
The Wonderer said:

I'm giving serious thought to getting my license so I can play and also for business travel. How difficult is it actually to go through the process?

The time commitment takes up 4-8 hours a week. Two lessons a week is about 5 hours at the airport and then 3-4 hours of home study a week.
The money side includes: flight physical, headset, EFB (and subscription), backup paper charts, books, non-owned aircraft insurance, check ride fee, written exam fee, instruction, and finally aircraft rental fee.

What distances are we talking for business travel? Anything over 200 miles and you're going to want a complex aircraft for the performance benefits. Anything less than that and you could consider purchasing an aircraft to learn in. (I don't recommend purchasing an aircraft until after you solo, because that's usually the weed-out point).
CharlieBrown17
AG
My best wind story so far was coming into Shreveport on cross country in the T-6.

Had a 15 or so knot cross and Shreveport is on the edge of our range, plus we had done a drop in approach on the way. Came in wing low for the cross and got a master caution on final because the up wing was empty enough that it was past the level for a low fuel annunciator. Definitely not a big deal, but that was a bit of a pucker for a second
80sGeorge
AG
Question- Thread on the F16 flyover on Football board mentioned pilots had to return to FTW and be flown back for introductions. Said F16s aren't allowed to land at CLL.

If true any insight as to why?
src94
AG
Same question - from Premium:

"This was true. The reason the pilots were not introduced until the 4th quarter was that the flight crew flew their f-16's back to Ft. Worth. I do not know the reason, but an F-16 is not allowed to land at Easterwood. All the pilots were then flown back to College Station in a single plane so they could be introduced. I know this was the case, as the guy sitting next to me last night has a brother-in law that was one of the pilots."
src94
CharlieBrown17
AG
I thought it was pretty normal for it to be between the 3rd and 4th for flight crew intros?

But I'd hazard a guess at security at Easterwood. Before the 2016 UCLA game with the raptor four ship they brought their own security detail in to stay overnight.
The Wonderer
AG
average_joker said:

The Wonderer said:

The time commitment takes up 4-8 hours a week. Two lessons a week is about 5 hours at the airport and then 3-4 hours of home study a week.
The money side includes: flight physical, headset, EFB (and subscription), backup paper charts, books, non-owned aircraft insurance, check ride fee, written exam fee, instruction, and finally aircraft rental fee.

What distances are we talking for business travel? Anything over 200 miles and you're going to want a complex aircraft for the performance benefits. Anything less than that and you could consider purchasing an aircraft to learn in. (I don't recommend purchasing an aircraft until after you solo, because that's usually the weed-out point).

Business would all be within Texas. Mainly houston and the hill country.

*I'm a lawyer, but not your lawyer. This is not legal advice and an attorney-client relationship does not exist between you and me*
average_joker
AG
I've watched the Red Tails land at KMGM, and they use a huge chunk of real estate on roll out. Maybe a landing distance factor? Security or ARFF are my second guesses.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Are you in Alabama? Didn't realize that.

Should be flying patterns at MGM if the weather is good Tuesday.

What I can find online is 16s won't go to a field shorter than 6K and the long strip at KCLL is 7
src94
AG
So runway length is not the issue.
src94
GAC06
AG
Was that one open?
src94
AG
I don't see any NOTAMS for it today, however there may have been yesterday. Good question
src94
CharlieBrown17
AG
Looks like regional traffic departed and arrived yesterday per flightaware so 17/35 would've been open

KCLL would be pretty worthless if that runway was closed
GAC06
AG
5000 is fine for a lot of RJ's
CharlieBrown17
AG
Not my world, but did some googling. Looks like 4K is pretty normal for dry landings but not seeing much on wet.

Our TOLD is around 1.4 dry to get wet, so seems like operations would be severely limited at KCLL on the 5K runway.

I'd be curious to know if regionals have a much lower difference between dry and wet and why
GAC06
AG
I couldn't say. I've never flown an RJ but I see them land/takeoff from 5k runways
CharlieBrown17
AG
Sounds like the target demographic for a bonanza to me

CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Anything over 200 miles and you're going to want a complex aircraft for the performance benefits.

Maybe.

At 200 miles, a complex aircraft like a Bonanza will get you there in an hour. A simple, older aircraft like a Cherokee 180 will get you there in an hour and thirty minutes.

You have decide if the initial expense, complexity, insurance, fuel, maintenance, training, etc. etc. are worth it to you. A two hour round trip vs. a three hour round trip, vs. a six to eight hour round trip in a car.

And flying instead of driving sounds great. Until you start thinking about a car when you get there, what are you going to do when the weather closes in, etc.

Anyway, the answer for anyone wanting a complex aircraft is always the Bellanca Viking.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/july/pilot/low-cost-speed

fire09
AG
Dont forget the M20C, about the cheapest complex to fly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.