Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

201,476 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by HarleySpoon
src94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
flyingaggie12 said:

Tom Freund at BVFS, great instructor and great person. He's been an airline pilot and is very knowledgeable and thorough.
Is Tom back at BVFS? He was my instructor for PPL and Instrument rating. Super guy and I couldn't recommend anyone more highly than Tom.
src94
flyingaggie12
AG
Yep he's back!
Thanks and Gig 'Em
PA24
AG

Sugarland 17 approach

..Houston in the background
Romello
flyingaggie12 said:

Yep he's back!

I was one of Tom's first students. Got my PPL in '05 and IA in '09. I'm glad to hear he is back. I'm going to have to fly up to KCLL and say hi.
HUEY04
AG
I've never done any lessons with Tom but we used to use BVFS for charter flights quite a bit and I would always sit up front in the co-pilot seat when he or Gary were flying. I guess he just can't turn off the flight instructor mode because I learned a ton about flying and that Baron 58 from him. I'll also say that he was the most thorough pilot I've ever been around when it came to following the checklists and procedures which was always comforting.
Oryx
I did my FW intro flight at BVFS and it was a great experience. Only should have done the 172 instead of the 162 and flying with your left hand on a single stick is a bit weird.
PA24
AG

Corpus today..

Leaving SAT, I heard an airliner make a request to the tower to return back to his gate, he was wanting to remove a passenger, I think it was SWA.
TxAg20
AG
Flew into KCLL today. No pictures, but heard AAL 1085 declare an emergency for loss of pressurization.
CharlieBrown17
AG
TxAg20 said:

Flew into KCLL today. No pictures, but heard AAL 1085 declare an emergency for loss of pressurization.

That's a ****ty one. We had to declare for smoke/fumes once. Similar initial actions, flying in a mask is trash
Romello
12 T&Gs at KDWH today.

Any safety pilots out there who wanna sit right seat in a Piper Warrior for some practice approaches out of KDWH?
fire09
AG
That sounds miserable if your plane doesn't have AC. Maybe in a few weeks.
PA24
AG

Dallas this morn

Over the deck heading to Dallas from KSAT
CenterHillAg
AG
Is most of your flying related to the Angel Flights you do? It's impressive how much you fly, you've gotta be one of the most current private pilots around.
PA24
AG
CenterHillAg said:

Is most of your flying related to the Angel Flights you do? It's impressive how much you fly, you've gotta be one of the most current private pilots around.
I fly about 250 hrs year.

Half of that has been AF.

Today off to Mineral Wells to drop off a buddy, yesterday I flew into Addison for business.

Coming Wednesday AF..maybe 2 or 3 more this year.

Yesterday I flew out of Addison IFR and was in the clouds as soon as I lifted off. I was directed to turn right with a new heading and while in a 40degree bank notice my cowling looked flat and body felt like I was not Turing but Of course trusted my instruments. Spatial disorientation is really an eye opener.

CharlieBrown17
AG
The T-6 is pretty susceptible to Spatial D because of the giant canopy/all around vis. The one time I got it was for being dumb, we popped out of a cloud into a clear and spot and I got off instruments and was looking around when we popped back into solid clouds. Definitely weird feeling.

Why 40 degree? I've always been taught and done 30 degree turns because less chance of spatial d and ATC expects standard rate turns.
Oryx
Have my first XC solo this Tuesday. Should be a fun time.
Romello
Oryx said:

Have my first XC solo this Tuesday. Should be a fun time.

Good luck Oryx.

Flew IFR from Hooks to College Station for lunch. Perfect IFR WX for my first in awhile,, 2500 BKN 3500 OVC high vis. RNAV 17 and RNAV 17R back into Hooks. The B-29 Superfortress Fifi was at KCLL. I will share some pics later.

FYI I learned that Tom isnt "officially" back at BVFS. Yet.
PA24
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

The T-6 is pretty susceptible to Spatial D because of the giant canopy/all around vis. The one time I got it was for being dumb, we popped out of a cloud into a clear and spot and I got off instruments and was looking around when we popped back into solid clouds. Definitely weird feeling.

Why 40 degree? I've always been taught and done 30 degree turns because less chance of spatial d and ATC expects standard rate turns.
....that should have read approx. 30 degrees.

Good catch Captain.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Ah no worries, I was just curious if there's something I didn't know

Always trying to learn
CenterHillAg
AG
Helping a buddy get some hours in my old Cat so he can get his first ag job. Love this plane.

PA24
AG
CenterHillAg said:

Helping a buddy get some hours in my old Cat so he can get his first ag job. Love this plane.

Nice office, Captain!
Oryx
Well.

Didn't get the cross-country solo knocked out today. Took off and headed eastbound for about 5 mintues before the clouds started to sink down and I had to desend to around 600 feet above the ground before wisp clouds started to blow into me from the side and make the ground hard to see for short instances on top of poor visibility in front of me. Then followed by my GPS giving me the "Terrain. Too low" warning since there are a few 500 ft towers in the area (one of which I had to sidestep when we usually simply fly above it) which was my final "nope" and diverted back. Probably the first time in my life I actually made a decision that directly saved my ass.

Didn't get it done but get to live another day and there's always next time.

**** lol.
Rockdoc
AG
You did the right thing, been there done that. When flying, pride should never overpower you gut.
CenterHillAg
AG
I've had a friend die after flying into fog, and another die after hitting a tower he never saw, good on you for heading back.

We say in spraying, " there's no hero pay." I've had my fair share of mistakes and am lucky to be alive today, but you have to know your limits and abide by them.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Not dying

Also props for bringing the lesson learned back and sharing
Oryx
Thanks. Definitely don't feel beat up scratching and feel I learned alot. Here's the conditions right before I took off looking east. Pretty deceiving, esp since both AO2s read 1200 agl ceilings.
CenterHillAg
AG
The calm air and the haze at sunup is the giveaway for conditions to collapse, when I'm spraying I won't pull the plane out until there's a 3 degree dewpoint spread. If it's less than 3 and no wind, go drink another cup of coffee, chances are the conditions will sock in before you've finished the cup.
Oryx
Yea, I definitely should have waited a bit longer. Winds were around 8-10 which is why we were so surprised it didnt clear up yet out there.
src94
AG
Good decision making. Keep that mindset and you'll do fine.
src94
BigBrother
AG
woods&water said:

Any pilots/FBO's out there need any insurance or just wanna keep your guy honest. We are the largest independent insurance broker in the state of Texas with a full time aviation team and aviation lawyer on staff with over 25 years in the aviation business. I'm a former A&M/Professional athlete so you know you have a good one handling your insurance issues.

Boone Stutz '05

Howdy Boone,

I'm not in Texas, but I wanted to bump your post, and was hoping to ask a few questions. I'm getting very close to my private pilot license (VFR). After I get it, I intend to rent the complex/high-performance plane and get some instruction time in it.

My goal is to purchase an older Piper Comanche/Beech Bonanza type of aircraft instead of something like the 172 I'm training in. How many hours of experience am I expected to have before being insurable in a complex aircraft? Am I expected to rent a similar plane to the one I want to purchase? Is this how others normally handle this issue when moving to a more "advanced' aircraft?
fire09
AG
10 hours solo in type + 5 hrs instruction and sign-off for hp/complex was all I needed to make a similar transition. I did all of that in the aircraft I purchased.
BigBrother
AG
Thank you! That's excellent news. Better than I expected.
panag
AG
Love this thread. Gary taught me how to fly at BVFS. Joy Bowden at Texas Taildraggers took over for tailwheel and aerobatic training after that. Best instructors I've ever had (and I include Tom in that as well).
CaptnCarl
AG
I trained under both Gary and Tom at BVFS as well. They really ran a great program, especially with the testing center literally next door.

I lived in the historic district in college, so it probably took me 5 minutes to get there. I didn't realize how convenient that was until I moved to Houston and was driving 40-50 min to Hooks while training IFR.
panag
AG
Couldn't agree more. I've essentially stopped flying the last two years here in Houston because I can't stomach a 2 hour round trip commute to the airport.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.